GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shano

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by shano »

What are my options for getting the GBS to my PVM for the 240p downscaling? Use a VGA to BNC/SCART cable?
Twin-X

Post by Twin-X »

Shiver_169 wrote:Hi guys I think it's amazing everything that has been able to move forward with this project. Seeing the new features he asked me how they use the Downscale? Do they only use it for retro game versions on consoles like Xbox 360 and others or do they use it for any 480p content? Now I suppose the Downscale do it to connect their CRT monitors or use 240p on LCD?
Yes it is best to downscale old arcade games released on consoles lile PS2 or XBOX360. bringing them back from 480P to 240P gives you pixel perfect image on your CRT. I like the newer cave games on the xbox or the street fighters. They come out very nice.
shano wrote:What are my options for getting the GBS to my PVM for the 240p downscaling? Use a VGA to BNC/SCART cable?
Yep VGA to scart or BNC if you have PVM should work right away if not put a LM1881 circuit in between. But i think it is not needed.
shano

Post by shano »

Twin-X wrote:
shano wrote:What are my options for getting the GBS to my PVM for the 240p downscaling? Use a VGA to BNC/SCART cable?
Yep VGA to scart or BNC if you have PVM should work right away if not put a LM1881 circuit in between. But i think it is not needed.
Awesome, thank you for the reply Twin-X.
It should be fine with a VGA to 5xBNC? and just use the 4th plug for the sync? Thats how my setup was with crtemudriver anyway.
Just waiting on my GBS board to arrive so i can mod it up with gbs-control.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

VGA to BNC works, tested on an Ikegami which requires H+V sync

If your PVM syncs on just H.Sync then it should be fine.
shano

Post by shano »

Gunstar wrote:VGA to BNC works, tested on an Ikegami which requires H+V sync

If your PVM syncs on just H.Sync then it should be fine.
Awesome stuff Gunstar, thanks for testing! :)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

@Shano - no problemo

PSP defeated. The 1080p preset+manual scaling lets me stretch out the image to touch the edge of the frame. This is all at the cost of 1 frame?

19" VGA CRT+SLG - Shots are a little blurry:
Twin-X

Post by Twin-X »

PSP on a CRT this is getting better and better every day :D
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

https://imgur.com/a/bAD43oG
Hello Rama,
I'm having a problem with the clock generator.
I've added a 1nF cap to CLK0 with a thin enamel magnetic wire from pin 40. I copied your installation pics. Updated to the latest gbs firmware but I'm getting a black screen with a gbs log error sync skipped sfr wrong: 0.00. Maybe it's a problem with my wiring or I need to add a specific library?
rama

Post by rama »

Hey cryptblood1986,
I saw and replied to your pm just now.
The installation looked correct, but the logs say that there is a problem measuring the source frame rate.
I think you should check your debug pin wire.
Also make sure to use a regular scaling mode, with a SCART or YPbPr source (not pure H+V RGB, which is being bypassed anyway).
The software is ready to work with the clock generator, as long as you always use the latest version.
Everything required is included, nothing needs to be adjusted.

Gunstar:
CRTs make this stuff look really awesome. Nice shots!
And yeah, between half and a full frame of lag is required. 8 to 16.6ms, ~12ms average.
You could have maybe 5 of these in a chain, before you notice lag :)
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

Okay I will redo my debug pin later. I'm getting an image if I use source pass through on my component but it is not sharp and some times blinks.
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

Found out the 1nF cap came off lol!
Soldered a new one in and boom! Working and looking great!

https://imgur.com/a/TSWPrGK

Quick question though, is this clock gen supposed to cut out further lag because I don't have an older gen console like snes to test?
You need to make a donation button! Thank you again for your hardwork!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Gunstar wrote:Awesome, thanks, Rama!

Updated the image for other beginners who have a v4
Spoiler
This picture is extremely helpful, thank you @Gunstar.

One question - what is the additional resistor needed for YPbPR output, and where is it required? I can't seem to find that info any more.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I couldn't see a ypbpr resistor mod on the wiki. The only one I see is the one for correcting the RGBs sync for 75ohm sources. I take it this is for use with the ypbpr output option in GBSControl? Maybe @Rama can shed some light on that.

Btw what settings are you using on your OSSC? I've tried plugging in the GBS into it but I get de-syncs at what feels like every 8 seconds.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Gunstar wrote:I couldn't see a ypbpr resistor mod on the wiki. The only one I see is the one for correcting the RGBs sync for 75ohm sources. I take it this is for use with the ypbpr output option in GBSControl? Maybe @Rama can shed some light on that.

Btw what settings are you using on your OSSC? I've tried plugging in the GBS into it but I get de-syncs at what feels like every 8 seconds.
Yes, it is for the YPbPr output option. I have the mod on one of my GBS's, but the resistor is in heat shrink and I don't want to fiddle with it cuz that poor gbs has already been through a lot.

I don't really do anything special when sending GBS output through OSSC. Just reset settings, make sure GBS gain is set to around 42, and then color balance in the OSSC menu. If someone has good timing settings for the OSSC with a GBS source, I'd sure love to have them. :)
rama

Post by rama »

Everyone please don't confuse Component Input and Output :)

Input is fine with the default hardware, no modding required (not even the potentiometer removal).
Output requires the Rset resistor mod, but I don't recommend using Component output, if you can avoid it.

cryptblood1986:
Cheers, I appreciate it! :)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

@NoAffinity - Hmm I'll give the reset a shot, thanks

@Rama - I would also like to donate, set something up!

Would it be possible to just sample the PSP's 480 x 272 active area, I'm still interested in downscaling to a regular CRT even though I can play on a VGA CRT now. Not really urgent but just wondering if it's possible.
(I think it's 720 horizontal, might be 704 or 768)
KatKya

Post by KatKya »

If anyone else decided to grab one (or more) of those ~$4 GBS boards a page or two back, I wouldn't get up your hopes on it actually being a GBS board.

Just had a strange package come in a few minutes ago, sporting the exact tracking number for the board I ordered and well.

This doesn't exactly look like a video scaler to me. A basic web translator spits out "12 8.0mm Aluminum AR Blocks" as the description.
donluca

Post by donluca »

KatKya wrote:If anyone else decided to grab one (or more) of those ~$4 GBS boards a page or two back, I wouldn't get up your hopes on it actually being a GBS board.

Just had a strange package come in a few minutes ago, sporting the exact tracking number for the board I ordered and well.

This doesn't exactly look like a video scaler to me. A basic web translator spits out "12 8.0mm Aluminum AR Blocks" as the description.
Oh god, that's EXACTY what I got and thought someone had sent me the wrong item. You're not alone in this. I've bought it from https://www.ebay.it/usr/leisuregood

I'll ask for a refund straight away or the correct item to be sent.
Kez

Post by Kez »

KatKya wrote:If anyone else decided to grab one (or more) of those ~$4 GBS boards a page or two back, I wouldn't get up your hopes on it actually being a GBS board.

Yup same here
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

Wow, I haven't checked in a while but dang this is some great work, rama! The Downscaling feature looks incredible!

How do you guys output to two video devices at the same time? I always get a horizontal band of interference scrolling up across both displays whenever I split the video signal at the console output, whether passively or through a distribution amplifier. I'm also splitting sound, if it matters. Splitting between a TV or arcade cab and a PC/Capture setup.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

rememberizer wrote:Wow, I haven't checked in a while but dang this is some great work, rama! The Downscaling feature looks incredible!

How do you guys output to two video devices at the same time? I always get a horizontal band of interference scrolling up across both displays whenever I split the video signal at the console output, whether passively or through a distribution amplifier. I'm also splitting sound, if it matters. Splitting between a TV or arcade cab and a PC/Capture setup.
What source or sources? I use a C2G 6x2 Component Matrix ahead of all scalers, etc., for component output games. Simple 6-to-1 SCART switch for all RGB consoles, then split the HDMI. Extron 4x4 VGA matrix for VGA sources. I use a DJ mixer with 4 input channels (2 inputs per channel) and 4 outputs, to handle the various audio tasks. And, I still have some manual disconnecting/reconnecting to do for SCART sources. The last thing I "need" but don't have any immediate intentions to spend the money on, is a SCART switch with 2 outputs. My solution is not lacking complexity, as I just spent 45 minutes investigating why I wasn't getting audio to my receiver while component video was being downscaled to a Sony Trinitron.

But I figured it out, and was gaming in Xbox 240p glory. Wow, Capcom Fighting Jam just looks...right. And beautiful at 240p. The backgrounds that look pretty cool at 480p, but at the same time, looked a little bit...I don't..just not right. Well, they look stunning at 240p.

I revisited Capcom Classics Collection vol. 2, and holy crap, the whole game, from intro screen, to in-game, looks just great...way better than at 480p.

Man alive, what else can I explore @ downscaled? :)
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 both look gorgeous in 240p. That's the main reason I want to use the downscaler - it's the only way to play the games that way aside from using emulation.

Edit: IIRC you can get Capcom Collections to display in 240p using GSM by the way.

About the sources: I use PS1, SNES, or arcade boards, all using RGB. I tried a passive splitter, just adding a db15 output to my scart breakout box which sends RCA to my RGB Modded Tv. I don't use switchers. I also tried a passive split between my capture and arcade machine. Got interference in all cases. :( As soon as i disconnect either side of the split, the interference goes away.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Got aluminium shafts too, I guess all those listings were incorrect.

+1 Marvel vs Capcom 2. At university, we played the DC version at 480i on a Sony consumer CRT and later used 480p on a PC CRT (no SLG) and a Bravia, right now I'm blown away how good it looks at 240p on the same Sony consumer CRT, hands down the best I've ever seen it. Need to try CvS2 next.

Check out KOF 13 and the Scott Pilgrim videogame downscaled. I think Scott Pilgrim supports 4:3 too.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it's not 4:3
Last edited by Gunstar on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

KOF2K2UM also looks the best at 240p, but GSM can also force this game to run at 240p natively.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

rememberizer wrote: About the sources: I use PS1, SNES, or arcade boards, all using RGB. I tried a passive splitter, just adding a db15 output to my scart breakout box which sends RCA to my RGB Modded Tv. I don't use switchers. I also tried a passive split between my capture and arcade machine. Got interference in all cases. :( As soon as i disconnect either side of the split, the interference goes away.
Any time you split a signal, it will need to be amplified. Without doing so, at best, youll get a less than optimal result on at least one of the outputs. At worst, you're over stressing the source amp and could eventually result in damage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Kabal2X

Post by Kabal2X »

I thought Sega Versus City has no internal amplification for the video splitter?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

RE: those of you who mentioned GSM - does 240p look good? I haven't tried it, I ask because I was doing some comparisons the other day between GSM's 480p VGA setting & the OSSC's line doubling on my PC CRT... the OSSC completely blew it away, no contest. I haven't checked out many other GSM settings, perhaps other options look better? I was highly disappointed with 480p VGA, but haven't messed around with other settings such as different SDTV modes, HDTV modes, etc etc.
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

NoAffinity wrote:
Any time you split a signal, it will need to be amplified. Without doing so, at best, youll get a less than optimal result on at least one of the outputs. At worst, you're over stressing the source amp and could eventually result in damage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I also tried the same setup with a distribution amp. i got much better video quality, but the same horizontal band issue.

re: GSM
Yeah 240p looks fantastic for KOF2K2UM and Metal Slug Anthology. I heard it looks awful on some games that have Bilinear Filters like Mushihime-sama though.
donluca

Post by donluca »

To everyone who've received aluminium shafts instead of the board: I've opened a case on eBay and got immediately refunded.
All's good.
rama

Post by rama »

Yeah, I also got aluminium something.
Open a case and don't accept his 30% or 70% refunds.
It's a scammer :/