Extrems

Re: GC Loader - New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer

Post by Extrems »

Currently, yes.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Again, all the things you mention are hacks and so you can't say Nintendont has compatibility issues, but rather limitations in relation to such hacks that I also imagine an ODE can't magically overcome, and Extrems above confirmed it.
This is a limitation specific to Nintendont. Swiss has vastly better compatibility.
To achieve goals such as forcing non-original resolutions Swiss is definitely better. I'd just avoid the term "compatibility" because we're talking about doing developer unintended things, and not just running the games without original glitches.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

fernan1234 wrote:
Extrems wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Again, all the things you mention are hacks and so you can't say Nintendont has compatibility issues, but rather limitations in relation to such hacks that I also imagine an ODE can't magically overcome, and Extrems above confirmed it.
This is a limitation specific to Nintendont. Swiss has vastly better compatibility.
To achieve goals such as forcing non-original resolutions Swiss is definitely better. I'd just avoid the term "compatibility" because we're talking about doing developer unintended things, and not just running the games without original glitches.
It isn't without purpose if it works better.

Also doesn't using the gba controller on gamecube games work on the wii but not through nintendon't?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It does if you enable native controls in Nintendont.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Swiss only works via SD cards on the Wii though, correct? It can't access the USB ports on the back for HDD loading of games.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I'm not sure why you care, but in its current form you can use:
  • Original disc (DVD-R support TBD)
  • SD Gecko
  • IDE-EXI
  • USB Gecko
  • WASP/Wiikey Fusion
  • WODE
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

In short, a list of devices that are no longer available but even if you still have from way back in the day are inconvenient to use. The Wii is just not great for Swiss use, as even the SD gecko clones still available don't work very well.

So if you really want to use Swiss + disc images in convenient fashion, a Gamecube + this ODE is the only way to go right now.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

fernan1234 wrote:In short, a list of devices that are no longer available but even if you still have from way back in the day are inconvenient to use. The Wii is just not great for Swiss use, as even the SD gecko clones still available don't work very well.

So if you really want to use Swiss + disc images in convenient fashion, a Gamecube + this ODE is the only way to go right now.
I've never used Swiss before, what does it offer that Nintendon't doesn't?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wolf_ wrote:
I've never used Swiss before, what does it offer that Nintendon't doesn't?
Better support of non-original resolutions (though many of them such as 960i are rarely compatible with commonly used TVs and monitors). If all you do is play games in 480i or 480p when originally supported, it makes no difference.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

fernan1234 wrote:The Wii is just not great for Swiss use, as even the SD gecko clones still available don't work very well.
More SD cards work in them than the SD2SP2, and more SD cards work in them at 27 MHz than other SD card adapters, including Nintendo's own. So I'm not sure where you're pulling that from.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:More SD cards work in them than the SD2SP2, and more SD cards work in them at 27 MHz than other SD card adapters, including Nintendo's own. So I'm not sure where you're pulling that from.
From limited personal experience last year, so that may not be very accurate. I tried an SD gecko clone with a bunch of SD cards of different types and trying different settings, and even when a game image loaded it ran with stuttering. I mostly wanted to see if my BVM could display some of the resolutions so I didn't persist on troubleshooting too much though.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

That has nothing to do with the SD card adapter.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:That has nothing to do with the SD card adapter.
I can't say what the actual issue was, but I was unable to use the SD card adapter without issues on Wii after trying to for a few days. Even the Swiss launcher itself didn't always work for some reason, so it was just an exercise in frustration from a user experience POV to try to get it to work. In fact I've never heard of anyone regularly using Swiss on Wii via SD card adapter, probably because Nintendont is just so convenient already.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The issue was the old read patches. Everyone had the same experience you had.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:The issue was the old read patches. Everyone had the same experience you had.
I'm positive I tried all of this after the new read patches were added, unless you're referring to new, new read patches that are more recent.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:more SD cards work in them at 27 MHz than other SD card adapters, including Nintendo's own
Does that mean the SD Gecko and other SD to GameCube Memory Card adapters like Datel's SD Media Launcher / Action Replay Launcher are superior to Nintendo's official GameCube SD Card Adapter (DOL-019)?

Extrems

Post by Extrems »

fernan1234 wrote:I'm positive I tried all of this after the new read patches were added, unless you're referring to new, new read patches that are more recent.
Looks like this was around April. You'd have to have manually enabled Alternate Read Patches.
GeneraLight wrote:Does that mean the SD Gecko and other SD to GameCube Memory Card adapters like Datel's SD Media Launcher / Action Replay Launcher are superior to Nintendo's official GameCube SD Card Adapter (DOL-019)?
Only the SD Gecko and WiiSD.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:Looks like this was around April. You'd have to have manually enabled Alternate Read Patches.
Yep, enabled that. Still got stuttering video at best.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't remember how it performed back then, but this was pretty early in development.
It won't be the same as late that year, and that won't be the same as early this year.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

Hey Extrems, quick off topic question: do 480p and widescreen patches affect game performance? Like, if I enable 480p on a typically 480i game am I just getting that extra resolution for free? Or is there a catch?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

480p is practically free. The only additional cost is from doubled memory bandwidth usage by the video interface. The data is already there.

As for widescreen, there are too many variables for a clear answer.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:As for widescreen, there are too many variables for a clear answer.
Are there any examples of GameCube or Wii games being slower in widescreen?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote:Like, if I enable 480p on a typically 480i game am I just getting that extra resolution for free? Or is there a catch?
480i and 480p are the same resolution, just presented in different ways!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

This isn't necessarily true. You can opt for field rendering, but you lose the ability to apply deflickering in the process, and of course must maintain 59.94 FPS at all time.

Only 5 games on GameCube are known to use field rendering.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote: Only 5 games on GameCube are known to use field rendering.
What would be some of those titles? I'd be interesting to compare how they look on a broadcast monitor compared to other GC games that don't use field rendering. I also wonder if this technique was used more or less on Wii titles.

And I'm thinking about resolution in its original sense, as the amount of detail that can be discerned in an image, ceteris paribus.
Though in my view interlaced presentation of the same material, compared to its progressive presentation at the same resolution (so both 480i vs 480p as well as 1080i vs 1080p) can actually produce a visual illusion of greater resolution. I've heard of others perceiving this illusion also, but it's rare since true interlaced presentation is largely unavailable in modern displays, especially for 1080i. I haven't researched what could explain this illusion, but I certainly see it myself, and I speculate it may be due to the alternating blank lines' effect on visual perception, similar to how prominent blank lines in "240p" can produce a sense of a sharper image.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Pre-orders for the updated PNP version go up today at 10 AM EST / 4 PM CET today

Dan's store $90.00+Shipping

EU store €85.00+Shipping

EDIT: Pre-orders closed
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Well it was a bit of a mess but I got a preorder this morning YAY! Now I just need to find a 2nd gamecube to install it in, I don't want to mod my childhood system that I currently use mostly for its gameboy player.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Unscrewing and rescrewing barely count as modding at this point.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Extrems wrote:Unscrewing and rescrewing barely count as modding at this point.
True. I use my current gamecube for the gameboy player (and actual gamecube discs as well) on my crt, I love that setup and I dont want to lose that functionality which is why I plan on putting the gcloader in a second console.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any of you guys got this thing? I got two of them, and installed one into my Platinum GC. It works really well. Obviously, I don't know if there are any games that have problems. Is there a list, or is this thing "99 percent compatible"?
I am no modder, of any kind, but it was pretty simple to put in. I was just thrown off by how many freaking screws the GC had in it.