Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by BuckoA51 »

Does the DVDO iScan "Edge bug" affect the US (NTSC) TurboGrafx 16 or is exclusive to other regions? I'm struggling to reproduce the bug on an iScan Duo with the 240p Test Suite while feeding 960p from the OSSC.
If you mean the increased input lag then yes, all regions, though maybe you're onto something there, and it only affects typical broadcast resolutions like 480p.. experiment more and let us know.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Does the DVDO iScan "Edge bug" affect the US (NTSC) TurboGrafx 16 or is exclusive to other regions? I'm struggling to reproduce the bug on an iScan Duo with the 240p Test Suite while feeding 960p from the OSSC.
If you mean the increased input lag then yes, all regions, though maybe you're onto something there, and it only affects typical broadcast resolutions like 480p.. experiment more and let us know.
That's why I got started looking at it. It seemed like a bug related to deinterlacing or PReP and 960p is usually strictly a computer image signal.

I'll try the N64 with FZero next. (No 240p Test Suite.) :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Looking at F-Zero on the N64, I strongly suspect the "Edge bug" does not exist when feeding linex4 from the OSSC.

That may make the Duo and the Edge significantly more desirable.

Can someone else look at this?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I tried to feed my Edge a line-multiplied signal from a modded PS1 a while ago and the added latency was still there.

I don't remember if it was 4x/960p though. I didn't investigate any further, but I don't think it matters anyway.

There can't be that many that would care about this now that the OSSC Pro is around the corner.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xer Xian wrote:I tried to feed my Edge a line-multiplied signal from a modded PS1 a while ago and the added latency was still there.

I don't remember if it was 4x/960p though. I didn't investigate any further, but I don't think it matters anyway.

There can't be that many that would care about this now that the OSSC Pro is around the corner.
That's true. My curiosity isn't always rooted in the most practical solution.

I just want to know because I can.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Do any of you guys have disc repair machines? My newly acquired copy of SOTN for PS1 has bad audio skipping and I'm 99% sure its the disc, there are lots of scratches on it (some worse than others) and all other games work on my PS1 okay. I might have a local game shop that can resurface it for me but I was just curious if anyone here repairs their own discs and if so what machine they use.
rama

Post by rama »

AceFan84:
If you can take a look at their machine, and it looks at least somewhat industrial / professional, then let them do the job.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Yeah I'm going to let them do it, they only charge $2 a disc so it's definitely worth taking a shot on.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

AceFan84 wrote:Yeah I'm going to let them do it, they only charge $2 a disc so it's definitely worth taking a shot on.
yeah as long as they're not using an angle grinder or dremel :lol:
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

That's true. My curiosity isn't always rooted in the most practical solution.

I just want to know because I can.
I was going to try this today but my Duo won't power up. I suspect it's just a power cable come lose at the back, but I'll need some time to investigate (that's the problem with big complex setups!).

It could still be really useful as the OSSC pro is still some way off and might not have picture sizing/zooming features when it's first launched.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Does anyone have legacy firmwares for the iScan Duo?

I want a copy of v1.01 (v1.01.49) if possible. I think that one would have shipped with the unit on a disk.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Are there any good options for s-video for Genesis and PC Engine? I've been thinking about grabbing a larger consumer Trinitron from my mom's place to use instead of my smaller PVM, but the best it has is s-video. For most consoles, this is just fine as there are s-video options, but neither the Genesis or the PC Engine output s-video. For the PCE, composite is pretty nice, so I'm not that upset if there isn't an option, but for the Genesis... I'd really like to have some way to get something better. I've got RGB SCART cables, naturally, so maybe some kind of converter? Otherwise it would have to be a mod, I suppose.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

thebigcheese wrote:Are there any good options for s-video for Genesis and PC Engine? I've been thinking about grabbing a larger consumer Trinitron from my mom's place to use instead of my smaller PVM, but the best it has is s-video. For most consoles, this is just fine as there are s-video options, but neither the Genesis or the PC Engine output s-video. For the PCE, composite is pretty nice, so I'm not that upset if there isn't an option, but for the Genesis... I'd really like to have some way to get something better. I've got RGB SCART cables, naturally, so maybe some kind of converter? Otherwise it would have to be a mod, I suppose.
Transcoding RGB to svideo is probably your best option.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

There are 's-video boxes' from Micomsoft (XMD-2 for MD1 and XMD-3 for MD2) and from some chinese manufacturer here and here.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of them and also they might only work with NTSC consoles
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Hmm. Those all look to be hard to come by and/or expensive :( It's a Sony KV-27V40, which looks to be RGB moddable, so maybe I'll just use it with the cables I've got for now and look into modding it later.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thebigcheese wrote:Hmm. Those all look to be hard to come by and/or expensive :( It's a Sony KV-27V40, which looks to be RGB moddable, so maybe I'll just use it with the cables I've got for now and look into modding it later.
there's one of those xmds on ebay for 78 bucks shipped. it's not free, but isn't crazy $$$
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Hoping for cheaper than that and ideally compatible with the PCE, too :/ I did find a NZ-based eBay seller that seems to make their own transcoders. They've got one that does VGA to s-video and composite, so I'm seeing if they can make one with SCART instead. If not, they do have YPbPr to s-video transcoders that could fit the bill or I could try adapting to VGA and see how that goes.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

thebigcheese wrote:Hmm. Those all look to be hard to come by and/or expensive :( It's a Sony KV-27V40, which looks to be RGB moddable, so maybe I'll just use it with the cables I've got for now and look into modding it later.
thebigcheese wrote:Hoping for cheaper than that and ideally compatible with the PCE, too :/ I did find a NZ-based eBay seller that seems to make their own transcoders. They've got one that does VGA to s-video and composite, so I'm seeing if they can make one with SCART instead. If not, they do have YPbPr to s-video transcoders that could fit the bill or I could try adapting to VGA and see how that goes.
This board is another option.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/ele ... -cga-to-tv

Should work with all your sources.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

orange808 wrote:This board is another option.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/ele ... -cga-to-tv

Should work with all your sources.
Ah, that might just do it! Looks like that takes either RGBs or RGBHV. Could put it in a little box with a SCART plug on one end, maybe some RCA plugs for audio output and be good to go. Thanks!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

could you extract s video from the Y and S/HV BNCs of an extron unit? Like https://www.extron.com/product/dvs304dvi
orange808

Post by orange808 »

vol.2 wrote:could you extract s video from the Y and S/HV BNCs of an extron unit? Like https://www.extron.com/product/dvs304dvi
Nope. That particular model would not work at all. It doesn't do 15kHz output.

In fact, that particular machine has almost no reason to exist and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (for any use case).

4:2:2 sampling is terrible for graphics. Extron's poor deinterlacing makes it lousy for broadcast video. It doesn't do 4k. Most 1080p displays or bluray machines will process 720p just as well (or better).

It's a paperweight.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Anyone use a brook retro board? I don't have enough room in my stick for a dedicated turbo button and was wondering if there is a key combination to enable it.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Is there a difference in video output between the original PS1 model and the PSOne? I'm using the same, OEM S-Video cable for both.

Calibrating using the PSOne (240p test suite) resulted in everything else hooked up via S-Video having red's that looked way off.

I then swapped the PSOne for my PS1 and redid the calibration. Now everything looks correct. Swapped back in the PSOne--all the reds are shifted toward pink/purple.

Is this a case of my PSOne being faulty, or an inherit design difference between models?
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

OK, another question:

which system outputs colour most accurately in comparison to NTSC standards? The 240p test suite SMPTE bars over S-Video vary quite a bit between the PSX and SNES versions...

Which one should I trust and calibrate to? The PSX is using OEM S-Video cables while the SNES (launch unit) is using 3rd party.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

HDgaming42 wrote:OK, another question:

which system outputs colour most accurately in comparison to NTSC standards? The 240p test suite SMPTE bars over S-Video vary quite a bit between the PSX and SNES versions...

Which one should I trust and calibrate to? The PSX is using OEM S-Video cables while the SNES (launch unit) is using 3rd party.
I dare say you might even see variation among the same consoles here, were you to pick up another SNES and PSX and do side-by-side comparisons. It's what comes of being cost-reduced consumer hardware that doesn't use precision components.

The SNES is more likely than the PSX to be "off", I believe. The cables shouldn't matter much.
rama

Post by rama »

Within the PSX model range, the earlier models up to and including SCPH-5500 will be darker and more saturated.
Beginning with the SCPH-7000 and including the PSone, the image will be brighter and sometimes have harsher dot crawl / pixel edges.
This depends on whether the factory had YTrap coils around, or not. It's totally random :p

The SNES is such a mixed back, I wouldn't use it for calibrating a display at all.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I am trying to output to a 15kHz CRT from a PC with a second generation i5 processor and intel HD graphics. Been struggling with CRU and the intel custom resolutions with no luck.
I can create the resolution and windows says it's 320x240, but in the advanced display options>list all modes, the lowest it goes is 640x480. I also tried loading the 240p file for the monitor as an .inf file, and that apparently succeded but doesn't help or make the resolution appear.
In the intel graphics panel, it lets me create the custom resolution and apply it, but it doesn't actually make it work. (or appear in the resolution choices for the monitor)

Is this just impossible without an ati card and crt emudriver, or am I missing something else?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

as far as I know you're out of luck using intel graphics.

AMD can use CRT emudriver and on Nvidia you can get 15khz 240p by using super resolutions (eg. 2048x240p).
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

SamIAm wrote:The SNES is more likely than the PSX to be "off", I believe. The cables shouldn't matter much.
Thanks!
rama wrote:The SNES is such a mixed back, I wouldn't use it for calibrating a display at all.
Also thanks. :)
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

I have horizontal line and color bleeding on one of my SNES JRs. I have already swapped all capacitors, the 7805, C11 swap, a new fuse and tried a different power supply, RGB Scart cable and display. Does anyone have any ideas what I can still check out?