gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:Oh! Got it! I thought it might have been the reason.
Will reorder as soon as I get home. hope the gscart will still be available 8)
Thanks!
I have plenty of units, it's just easier for me this way than to send you a message and try to resolve this manually.
Matt32

Post by Matt32 »

Hoo baby. Got my GCompSW and all I can think is to channel Indiana Jones: "It's beautiful!"

I currently have three consoles going in and two cables out, one to my CRT and one to a USB capture card. On the CRT, I notice (regardless of console) a very faint horizontal band that travels slowly up the screen. It's easy to miss, it becomes more evident when the screen is dark. Was not the case before.

I'm going to play around with some theories. My component cable that feeds the CRT is an old one from RadioShack - who knows, maybe that's the problem (a shielding thing?). Is there anything with the power I should be looking or tweaking? I'm using the power plug that it shipped with, and plugging into a bulky 8-outlet power strip.

Super nice product.
superg

Post by superg »

Matt32 wrote:Hoo baby. Got my GCompSW and all I can think is to channel Indiana Jones: "It's beautiful!"

I currently have three consoles going in and two cables out, one to my CRT and one to a USB capture card. On the CRT, I notice (regardless of console) a very faint horizontal band that travels slowly up the screen. It's easy to miss, it becomes more evident when the screen is dark. Was not the case before.

I'm going to play around with some theories. My component cable that feeds the CRT is an old one from RadioShack - who knows, maybe that's the problem (a shielding thing?). Is there anything with the power I should be looking or tweaking? I'm using the power plug that it shipped with, and plugging into a bulky 8-outlet power strip.

Super nice product.
For sure it's your component cable. Get the one from hdretrovision.
Matt32

Post by Matt32 »

superg wrote:For sure it's your component cable. Get the one from hdretrovision.
Yeah, further testing bore this out 100%. I was too quick to malign my trusty ol' RadioShack cable because it's the only one that works worth a hoot. I'd just ordered a new one from Monoprice, which I was using for GCompSW -> USB capture, and that seems to be the point of failure. (Ironically, it's the green cable in particular.)

Thanks for the tip about HDRetrovision having a male-to-male component cable, their SNES one is a gosh darn masterpiece... time to order.
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Just spent a couple of days setting up all of my consoles with my gscartsw, OSSC & RGC CSYNC scarts.

Turned out pretty sweet & work great!

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mremulator wrote:Just spent a couple of days setting up all of my consoles with my gscartsw, OSSC & RGC CSYNC scarts.

Nice! Where did you get that cabinet?

Also, uh, is that a TV or a picture frame? :P
superg

Post by superg »

mremulator wrote:Just spent a couple of days setting up all of my consoles with my gscartsw, OSSC & RGC CSYNC scarts.

Looks super cool and tidy but I'd also remove the doors to always have it like this :)
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

superg wrote:

Looks super cool and tidy but I'd also remove the doors to always have it like this :)
Had to consider the wife acceptance factor, hence the doors. :roll:

77" Sony LED above cabinet (IKEA BTW). 8)

morendo88

Post by morendo88 »

Just got my gscartsw the other day, love it except for some reason, with the combination of my SNES, my SNES Scart Cable, and the gscartsw I am losing sync.

If I swap anything out in that equation, things work. If I use my N64 cable on my SNES and vice a versa, both consoles work. If I don't use my gscartsw, everything works with the specific cables I bought for them.

I am trying to work out if there would be a problem with just swapping the cables for the N64 and SNES, but also trying to find some explanation as to what the cause might be. It seems weird that things would only have issues in one 3 way pairing and nothing else

My setup:

Region: NTSC

SNES jr
SNES Super Nintendo Model 2 7374 RGB Chip, C-Sync, S-video, C11 Replaced
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-Nin ... 2749.l2649

SNES -> Euro SCART
Insurrection SNES SCART cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWFLVXG/

N64 -> Euro SCART
Multi AV Euro SCART cable
https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/produc ... -scart-n64

gscartsw v5.2

SCART -> BNC For use with gscartsw
Male RGB Euro SCART to 4 BNC + Audio Cable Sony PVM Sega Genesis SNES Neo Geo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212

SCART -> BNC For use without gscartsw
Female RGB Euro SCART to 4 BNC + Audio Cable Sony PVM Sega Genesis SNES Neo Geo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193207505610

PVM
Sony 20M2MDU with RGB inputs
superg

Post by superg »

morendo88 wrote:Just got my gscartsw the other day, love it except for some reason, with the combination of my SNES, my SNES Scart Cable, and the gscartsw I am losing sync.

If I swap anything out in that equation, things work. If I use my N64 cable on my SNES and vice a versa, both consoles work. If I don't use my gscartsw, everything works with the specific cables I bought for them.

I am trying to work out if there would be a problem with just swapping the cables for the N64 and SNES, but also trying to find some explanation as to what the cause might be. It seems weird that things would only have issues in one 3 way pairing and nothing else

My setup:

SNES jr
SNES Super Nintendo Model 2 7374 RGB Chip, C-Sync, S-video, C11 Replaced
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-Nin ... 2749.l2649

SNES -> Euro SCART
Insurrection SNES SCART cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWFLVXG/
Which SNES doesn't work, SNES or SNES jr? Are you sure that your SCART cable matches your SNES version / mod?
Here I have big SNES which I test using retrogamingcables NTSC CSYNC cable and it's all good.
I also own SNES Jr with restored CSYNC and S-RGB mod done by me and that also works fine using the same RGC NTSC CSYNC cable.

Did you try sync regeneration toggle?
BreakmanX

Post by BreakmanX »

@Superg

It looks like my entire address didn't go through on the order. I sent an email to store@gretrostuff.com with my paypal receipt and what the address should be. Is there something else I should do?

Name is there, city and zip is there. Just street address somehow isn't.
chromium

Post by chromium »

I think my gcompsw is stuffed, it's one of the original 4 port ones.

I'm getting lots of flickering lines on the picture, also the green power light is sometimes flickering.

I tried a couple of different power supplies and even bought a brand new component cable to use for the output and it didn't help.

If I connect my PS2 and Xbox directly to my display they are fine.

Is there anything I can do, other than buying a new one. I don't really want an 8 port, even 4 was too much for me :)
superg

Post by superg »

chromium wrote:I think my gcompsw is stuffed, it's one of the original 4 port ones.
I'm getting lots of flickering lines on the picture, also the green power light is sometimes flickering.
I tried a couple of different power supplies and even bought a brand new component cable to use for the output and it didn't help.
Is there anything I can do, other than buying a new one. I don't really want an 8 port, even 4 was too much for me :)
LED flickering means that it's having a trouble to detect the signal, it's unlikely a power issue. Anything new connected lately, any changes?
To troubleshoot try to use yellow RCA instead of Green (connect to green cable to yellow on input and on output) and tell me what you see.
Other than that I'm not going to be able to repair it as the most important parts are end of life now :(.
chromium

Post by chromium »

superg wrote:
chromium wrote:I think my gcompsw is stuffed, it's one of the original 4 port ones.
LED flickering means that it's having a trouble to detect the signal, it's unlikely a power issue. Anything new connected lately, any changes?
To troubleshoot try to use yellow RCA instead of Green (connect to green cable to yellow on input and on output) and tell me what you see.
Other than that I'm not going to be able to repair it as the most important parts are end of life now :(.
Nothing new connected, I tried with just one device connected, either the PS2 or original Xbox, both display the same behaviour. Both work fine when I bypass the gcompsw.

The flickering green light happens even with nothing connected.

Do you not have plans to sell the 4 port version anymore? 8 is really overkill, I only use 2 component devices, everything else goes through my gscartsw :)
superg

Post by superg »

chromium wrote: Do you not have plans to sell the 4 port version anymore? 8 is really overkill, I only use 2 component devices, everything else goes through my gscartsw :)
No plans for that. The older 4 input version was designed around obsolete integrated IC which is not manufactured anymore. I'd say 95% of the owners want more inputs.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

chromium wrote:Do you not have plans to sell the 4 port version anymore? 8 is really overkill, I only use 2 component devices, everything else goes through my gscartsw :)
Which version of the gscartsw do you have? Its just a thought, but if you have the gscartsw v5.2 you could use it as both a SCART and Component switcher using passive Component>SCART adapters, which might help simplify your setup?
chromium

Post by chromium »

Link83 wrote:
chromium wrote:Do you not have plans to sell the 4 port version anymore? 8 is really overkill, I only use 2 component devices, everything else goes through my gscartsw :)
Which version of the gscartsw do you have? Its just a thought, but if you have the gscartsw v5.2 you could use it as both a SCART and Component switcher using passive Component>SCART adapters, which might help simplify your setup?
It's a gscartsw_lite. I'm already using all 8 ports anyway. Maybe I should get another and a couple of component to SCART adapters
Link83

Post by Link83 »

chromium wrote:
Link83 wrote:
It's a really early one. I'm already using all 8 ports anyway. Maybe I should get another and a couple of component to SCART adapters
Ah well, it was just an idea.

I'm sure you already know this, but just to be clear AFAIK the latest gscartsw v5.2 can switch between both Component and RGB SCART with passive adapters, but it doesn't convert/transcode between the two signal types - so either the destination device needs to be able to switch between YPbPr and RGB on the same input (Like the OSSC can through AV1 with a menu toggle option) Or you could use both gscartsw outputs with one being RGB SCART (If required) and the other being Component out using a passive adapter (If for example your using an XRGB-Mini which has separate RGB and YPbPr inputs)

...At least thats my understanding.

<EDIT> Unless i'm mistaken I think the latest gscartsw v5.2 can also accept RGsB (Sync-on-Green) from a PS2, and even strip the sync signal and output it separately as RGBS, so you could potentially just use RGB SCART from your PS2 if you have the correct cable (And possibly even the Xbox as well with a BIOS mod?)
Last edited by Link83 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chromium

Post by chromium »

Link83 wrote:
chromium wrote:
Link83 wrote: Ah well, it was just an idea.

I'm sure you already know this, but just to be clear AFAIK the latest gscartsw v5.2 can switch between both Component and RGB SCART with passive adapters, but it doesn't convert/transcode between the two signal types - so either the destination device needs to be able to switch between YPbPr and RGB on the same input (Like the OSSC can through AV1 with a menu toggle option) Or you could use both gscartsw outputs with one being RGB SCART (If required) and the other being Component out using a passive adapter (If for example your using an XRGB-Mini which has separate RGB and YPbPr inputs)

...At least thats my understanding.

<EDIT> Unless i'm mistaken I think the latest gscartsw v5.2 can also accept RGsB (Sync-on-Green) from a PS2, and even strip the sync signal and output it seperately as RGBS, so you could potentially just use RGB SCART from your PS2 if you have the correct cable (And possibly even the Xbox as well with a BIOS mod?)
I'm using an OSSC and a PVM 2950. The PVM supports RGB and Component on the same input, just need to set it in the menu, so I guess what you say is doable. For now I just have my Xbox connected directly to the OSSC so I can make use of 480p, 720p and 1080i. The PS2 is connected to the gscartsw_lite via a GARO to convert YPbPr to RGBs.
Last edited by chromium on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

Link83 wrote: <EDIT> Unless i'm mistaken I think the latest gscartsw v5.2 can also accept RGsB (Sync-on-Green) from a PS2, and even strip the sync signal and output it separately as RGBS, so you could potentially just use RGB SCART from your PS2 if you have the correct cable (And possibly even the Xbox as well with a BIOS mod?)
This is correct.
hoserland

Post by hoserland »

I just got my gscartsw today and am having sync issues with my TurboGrafx-16.

I current have the Fiddle_SE rear TG-16 to SCART cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cabl ... xyaRZR2X4C

When I connect it to the gscartsw I just get a flickering picture but when I connect the same cable to a RetroTink RGB2COMP box the image appears perfect. I previously used the Otaku SCART switch and didn't have any issues.

I did change the DIP switches to test each setting and nothing worked. This is the only console that I am having issues with the 5 other consoles with Retro-Access cables work great.

Any clue how to remedy this issue? Is it possible to use this cable with the gscartsw?
watsu

Post by watsu »

I just got my gscart switch and have to say it looks pretty awesome.
Unfortunately I cannot check if it works at the moment as I'm still about to order right cables.
(have tried to connect PS2 by a cable I previously bought at Amazon for testing Framemesiter but no luck with that one - got 'no signal' at Framemeister; might be a faulty SCART<->SCART cable)

I'm thinking of getting these from retrogamingcables. At first I want to connect my PS1, PS2, Saturn and SupeFamikom (all NTSC/J).
I know it's much to ask for but could you tell me am I picking the right ones?

1. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... cable-lead
2. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... nc-on-luma
3. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart
4. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... -PRO-CABLE
5. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/eur ... t-cable-2m

Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:I just got my gscart switch and have to say it looks pretty awesome.
Unfortunately I cannot check if it works at the moment as I'm still about to order right cables.
(have tried to connect PS2 by a cable I previously bought at Amazon for testing Framemesiter but no luck with that one - got 'no signal' at Framemeister; might be a faulty SCART<->SCART cable)

I'm thinking of getting these from retrogamingcables. At first I want to connect my PS1, PS2, Saturn and SupeFamikom (all NTSC/J).
I know it's much to ask for but could you tell me am I picking the right ones?

1. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... cable-lead
2. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... nc-on-luma
3. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart
4. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... -PRO-CABLE
5. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/eur ... t-cable-2m

Thanks.
I'm using the same cables. Just make sure that you're getting the correct region version.
icarus7234

Post by icarus7234 »

Would I be wrong in thinking this is more or less just plug and play? I don't appear to be getting any output from either socket, from any input socket, across any console or combination of aftermarket and original SCART cables being used.

My GSCARTSW powers on, the LED flickers when a console is activated, but there is seemingly no output. All devices, cables and the TV work on my old switcher, and there is no visible damage indicating any issues on the new switcher.

Any help would be appreciated.

(Having tried a 2nd TV just before posting, and testing the M2M SCART actually works elsewhere, I'm afraid to say there's still no output)
Curleyshirley

Post by Curleyshirley »

Hi SuperG :)
I want to buy a gscartsw but shipping is 9999 USD. I've searched through the thread and see some with the same issue, where you have enabled shipping to the country individually.
I live in the Faroe Islands, is it possible for you to ship here or do I have to use a proxy service?

-
Shirley
redhotsonic

Post by redhotsonic »

So I've discovered something on both the GSCARTSW and GCOMPSW (both v5.2) and it's a bit of a buzzkill.

When I was playing Sonic 2 through my framemeister (FM), I realised that the stereo sound was not working and it was playing in mono. But it turns out that the GSCARTSW is not outputting stereo sound very well (it's practically mono). But I then encountered the issue; I was using both outputs at the same time.

See, I use the FM in output 1 to record my gameplay (videos or streaming) and then use the PVM in output 2 so I can have lag-free game play (I am aware the PVM is mono, I'm more talking about the FM/streaming side). OBS reports the sound coming from the FM is practically in mono (and when I say practically, both left and right audio bars are so close that it is negligible). I tested the ring sound effect 35 in Sonic 2 and yeah, it's mono.

BUT, when I unplug the scart cable from the second output from the GSCARTSW so it doesn't go to the PVM anymore, ta-dah, clear stereo sound from the FM! I haven't touched anything else, any OBS settings or even resetted my Mega Drive, ring sound effect 35 is now in stereo. There and then, if I plug the scart lead back into output 2 so the PVM is displayed at the same time, bang, it's now mono. The PVM doesn't even need to be switched on.

This unfortunately happens with the GCOMPSW too. Try the GameCube for example. If you hold Z when the Gamecube loads, during it's BIOS animation, it will play a different jingle (the one with the kids). If both outputs are plugged in with the GCOMPSW, then it's mono. I unplugged one of them and now that jingle from the GameCube plays in stereo.

TL;DR, if you have both outputs on the GSCARTSW and the GCOMPSW plugged in at the same time, even if one of them is not in use, the sound will not be in stereo from either output.

I'm really hoping you're going to say, "Ah, that's because blah blah, the fix is this" and it's just me doing something stupid. I'm sorry if this has already came up once before. I did a Google search and found nothing.

Any advice except to just "unplug one of them"? Because if I have to do that, it kind of defeats the purpose of having both outputs.

Cheers
redhotsonic
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

redhotsonic: I can hear immaculate stereo through my gscartsw 5.2 with both outputs plugged in: the first plugged into an OSSC and the second one into a PVM.

Maybe your unit is defective?
Or try a different, stereo-capable sink to isolate the problem?
redhotsonic

Post by redhotsonic »

Well, it's quite possible, but it's a massive coincidence that both the GSCART and the GCOMP is doing it. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm hoping that's the case. Let me get a video demonstration:

https://youtu.be/mW6Lo18UDMU

Mega Drive with PACKAPUNCH Scart cable to GSCARTSW input 1. Output 1 to Framemeister, then Framemeister to capture card*. Output 2 on GSCARTSW straight to my PVM (I am aware the PVM is mono).

*I have tried a straight connection to my monitor and my TV and the issue persists.
superg

Post by superg »

redhotsonic wrote:Well, it's quite possible, but it's a massive coincidence that both the GSCART and the GCOMP is doing it. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm hoping that's the case. Let me get a video demonstration:

https://youtu.be/mW6Lo18UDMU

Mega Drive with PACKAPUNCH Scart cable to GSCARTSW input 1. Output 1 to Framemeister, then Framemeister to capture card*. Output 2 on GSCARTSW straight to my PVM (I am aware the PVM is mono).

*I have tried a straight connection to my monitor and my TV and the issue persists.
Switches have nothing to do with it :) Something else is contributing. Troubleshoot your systems, make sure you don't load audio line, audio is linear level and obviously unamplified.

Unlikely, but there could be a case where you slightly burned audio multiplexers on both switches if used amplified audio on the input or draw too much current from the output (passive speakers etc.), I'm not saying this happened, I'm just listing the possibilities.

This is so major, if something like this had ever happened with my switches I'd be in a deep shit :)
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

redhotsonic: trying something else in place of your Framemeister and seeing if the problem persists might be worth a shot.