OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NormalFish

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by NormalFish »

Powerman293 wrote:LMAO, I just bought an OSSC and now there's a pro version coming out.
I mean, theyre going to be in totally different price brackets. not like you're just getting an inferior version, you're getting a different product altogether.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

NormalFish wrote:
Powerman293 wrote:LMAO, I just bought an OSSC and now there's a pro version coming out.
I mean, theyre going to be in totally different price brackets. not like you're just getting an inferior version, you're getting a different product altogether.
That's not accurate at all, the Pro is essentially an upgraded version of the OSSC. The Pro won't be released for ~6 months, so it's not like he should regret the purchase.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am the opposite, I have held off for years on the OSSC because i'm only getting my game room done this year and all my stuff is in storage so buying an OSSC didn't make sense before now.

I am kinda glad I held off now. The other reason I didn't buy one because i'm not sure how plug n play they really are.

I did just buy a LG CL9 which has high compatibility though, so baby steps.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote:
NormalFish wrote:
That's not accurate at all, the Pro is essentially an upgraded version of the OSSC. The Pro won't be released for ~6 months, so it's not like he should regret the purchase.
It is accurate, and marqs himself said almost the exact same thing as normalfish in the Pro thread
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

maxtherabbit wrote: It is accurate, and marqs himself said almost the exact same thing as normalfish in the Pro thread
Sure, it is a different board with upgrades and alterations. But it essentially does the same thing, adds some things, improves some things. For Joe off the street it just looks like a newer, better version. I don't understand how marqs can call this a completely different device. From a layman's perspective, it's a more advanced version of something that already exists. I don't see why you'd buy both unless you needed 2 devices.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

ldeveraux wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote: It is accurate, and marqs himself said almost the exact same thing as normalfish in the Pro thread
Sure, it is a different board with upgrades and alterations. But it essentially does the same thing, adds some things, improves some things. For Joe off the street it just looks like a newer, better version. I don't understand how marqs can call this a completely different device. From a layman's perspective, it's a more advanced version of something that already exists. I don't see why you'd buy both unless you needed 2 devices.
Just look at it this way. Just because a new product comes out does not necessarily render the previous one obsolete.

Look at it like game consoles. When the PS3 came out people still loved playing their PS2 :wink:
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I'm having a few issues with the image on my OSSC and wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing and knew what component could be the culprit? I get blue waves across the screen (photo obviously doesn't show them in motion) and colours tend to shift, this is most notable from white to yellow; I also have trouble getting sound over HDMI. I've tried different power supplies and cables, so I'm confident the fault is somewhere on the board itself. Given that I don't really use it as much use as I should, if nobody has any ideas I might just try reflowing the board and, if I do kill it, I'll make do with a cheap RGB SCART adapter until the Pro is released.

parodius

Post by parodius »

Have you tried it on different displays ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have the vga/Rgb scart cable from retrogaming cables. In 480p mode it is spot on but when I switch to 15kz mode I can’t get ossc to sync properly. It seems to drop sync every 5 seconds or so. Are there any special settings for this? Thanks
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

there are a series of sync options you can adjust. I would first check if the Sync LPF is activated (set it to 2.5MHz if you get dropouts). The other options depend on your source system. What 15khz source does give you those problems?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Sorry I seem to have forgotten to say in my original post. I’m referring to dreamcast 240p/480i mode
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Has anyone tried to play Jazz Jackrabbit through the OSSC? It uses a bizarre video mode that has one additional blanking line added vs the regular DOS 400p. Also many lines in the top and bottom of the active area are blank to give a widescreen effect. It totally whacks out the OSSC's ALC/AGC and ends up having wildly varying brightness and tint issues.
marqs

Post by marqs »

maxtherabbit wrote:Has anyone tried to play Jazz Jackrabbit through the OSSC? It uses a bizarre video mode that has one additional blanking line added vs the regular DOS 400p. Also many lines in the top and bottom of the active area are blank to give a widescreen effect. It totally whacks out the OSSC's ALC/AGC and ends up having wildly varying brightness and tint issues.
There was some discussion on exposing ALC/clamp options a while back, I should make a test firmware before completely forgetting that. Sync clamp LPF option could also help with sync dropouts caused by poor cables.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

After several months of good monitor search, I can recommend LG 27GL850.

Sure, contrast is not the greatest and there is some motion blur compared to CRT but this seems to work great with OSSC line modes, including passthrough 480i which looks stunning. Maybe because 1440 is 3x 480i so scaling is easy. This monitor has also very little lag for an IPSmonitor.

As a bonus, it has both freesync and g-sync for modern games and goes upto 144hz.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Anyone thought about modding an ossc to semi pro ossc by installing one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Si5351A-I2C-25 ... 3922184813

I'm keen to give it a try, apparently it removes any tearing from GBS and also makes capture cards sync almost instantly.
strayan

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:I think it's some kind of optional support using the DP connector when the graphics card offers a ramdac to support VGA in the first place. I remember to have used a dirt cheap Mini-DP to VGA adapter a few years ago. Considering the price I guess it was just a passive adapter, so the video module probably supported VGA on its own. But I totally agree: VGA through DP is quite a mystery.
I pulled my DP to VGA cable apart (bought on ebay new for around AUD$10). It has some circuitry soldered to the vga end. This would lead me to believe that they’re all ‘active’ devices.

Looks exactly like this inside https://www.amazon.com.au/Display-D-SUB ... 40&sr=8-20

Retailers don’t appear to realise. For example this retailer is advertising a displayport to vga cable as follows:
Adapts from a DisplayPort Computer or Laptop to a VGA monitor/screen
DisplayPort is pretty clever. Without any extra adapters or converters, any DisplayPort DP++ socket can output a VGA signal for direct connection to an analogue screen. This is great news when you need a new PC to connect to an older TV or monitor. https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/1m ... gLHHvD_BwE
My bet is that if you cracked open the vga housing it would look the same as the amazon one I linked to above
NJRoadfan

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by NJRoadfan »

strayan wrote: I pulled my DP to VGA cable apart (bought on ebay new for around AUD$10). It has some circuitry soldered to the vga end. This would lead me to believe that they’re all ‘active’ devices.

Looks exactly like this inside https://www.amazon.com.au/Display-D-SUB ... 40&sr=8-20
All DisplayPort to VGA adapters are active as the port has zero analog capability. The only passive adapters are DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI and only work if its a Dual Mode DisplayPort jack. Otherwise you need an active adapter for DVI/HDMI as well.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Syntax wrote:Anyone thought about modding an ossc to semi pro ossc by installing one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Si5351A-I2C-25 ... 3922184813

I'm keen to give it a try, apparently it removes any tearing from GBS and also makes capture cards sync almost instantly.
I don't think that would help improve OSSC compatibility by itself. Si5351A creates its clock from external XTAL so while it can generate suitable pixel clock for any standard output mode (which the FPGA PLL could do almost as well), it wouldn't be locked to the source clock (unless you can control it dynamically and glitchlessly) so a frame buffer would be needed.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Has anyone tried to play Jazz Jackrabbit through the OSSC?
I thought I tried it using CRT emudriver and DOSBox but I'm guessing Dosbox isn't properly emulating the weirdness?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Does anyone know what be causing audio dropouts for 480p x 2? Basically, every 10-15 seconds I loose audio and the HDMI input flashes up on my 2017 Sony TV ... like a handshake/sync is happening?

All other line modes are fine. It's just 1440 x 960 (480p x 2) that's giving me problems.

Cheers.
marqs

Post by marqs »

BuckoA51 wrote:
I thought I tried it using CRT emudriver and DOSBox but I'm guessing Dosbox isn't properly emulating the weirdness?
Probably not. I put together a test firmware which has new clamp/ALC related options (Clamp/ALC offset, ALC H filter, ALC V filter) that could help here and in previously reported cases of uneven brightness on the sides. The AV3 alternative RGB compatibility option is also updated so that AV2 can be used as a source, and added "Analog STC LPF" option enables using stronger LPF for sync tip clamp (should be used only with SDTV signals). The test firmware is not extensively tested yet so it's recommended only for people with USB Blasters.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 »

Hello. I am only getting right channel audio over HDMI.
I've always used the mini jack output for audio so I do not know if this was from new.
I'd like to use the HDMI audio now.
Any advice on what I can try to fix this?
I am confident soldering fine pitch and tiny smd etc.

Any advice is appreciated.
Chris.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

marqs wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
Probably not. I put together a test firmware which has new clamp/ALC related options (Clamp/ALC offset, ALC H filter, ALC V filter) that could help here and in previously reported cases of uneven brightness on the sides. The AV3 alternative RGB compatibility option is also updated so that AV2 can be used as a source, and added "Analog STC LPF" option enables using stronger LPF for sync tip clamp (should be used only with SDTV signals). The test firmware is not extensively tested yet so it's recommended only for people with USB Blasters.
I gave the test firmware a try last night to see if it helped with the upper part of the image being brighter. With the new firmware, even with the default settings the image appeared perfect now.

This issue was very minor for me, but maybe it was a sporadic issue? Because after downgrading (for my profiles), the issue was still completely gone. That doesn't make sense right? That the fix from the test firmware would still be active even when downgrading?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I scooped one of these up for very cheap on eBay, if anyone uses their OSSC on a VGA monitor but finds their image too dark in scanline mode, this can help quite a bit. Then there's the Portta HDMI to VGA, which is brighter than the Tendak. But, combine this with a Portta? Very bright!

I went the extra step and plugged the Portta in AND turned on my NEC's 'Super Bright Mode'. "Bliiiiiinded by the light!"
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Thanks marqs, I can confirm that reducing the ALC V. filter in the 0.86 test firmware does seem to have fixed the uneven brightness for me. I'll need to do more thorough testing later, but so far setting it to 2 lines appears to give me the best results.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

I've also given the new firmware a quick test and it really does help with the uneven brightness :D Thanks marqs!
Spoiler
Default settings

Fixed

Fixed + optimized picture

Tazz

Post by Tazz »

marqs wrote:I don't think that would help improve OSSC compatibility by itself. Si5351A creates its clock from external XTAL so while it can generate suitable pixel clock for any standard output mode (which the FPGA PLL could do almost as well), it wouldn't be locked to the source clock (unless you can control it dynamically and glitchlessly) so a frame buffer would be needed.
Hi,
Yes it could be perfectly locked to any source clock,
- with feeding the reference clock at the XA crystal pin for the A version
- with voltage loop and/or as for the A version for the B version
- same as the A version or with the dedicated CLKIN pin on the C version.
And the clock output could be controlled dynamically, glitchlessly, with continuous frequency and phase shifting with proper I2C command sequences.
All with state of the art jitter elimination and final phase noise.
Nothing comparable with any embedded FPGA PLL witch are generally not designed to be dynamically controlled.
And they are cheap.

Look at the datasheet and AN619, it could give you plenty of good idea.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

kitty666cats wrote:Image

I scooped one of these up for very cheap on eBay, if anyone uses their OSSC on a VGA monitor but finds their image too dark in scanline mode, this can help quite a bit. Then there's the Portta HDMI to VGA, which is brighter than the Tendak. But, combine this with a Portta? Very bright!

I went the extra step and plugged the Portta in AND turned on my NEC's 'Super Bright Mode'. "Bliiiiiinded by the light!"
Do you have any pictures or comparisons?

The HD Fury 2 has something similar built in as well
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

HD Fury Nano has it too, Sadly HD Fury Nano seems to be discontinued now. :(
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BuckoA51 wrote:HD Fury Nano has it too, Sadly HD Fury Nano seems to be discontinued now. :(
Just looked at my HD Fury and it is the Nano version lol

Sorry my bad.

I have the original HD Fury with DVI input and I find it performs better than the Nano. Less noise than the Nano and Portta. Brighter than the Tendak as well.