From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Austin

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote:
Austin wrote:
Blinge wrote:bruh Gwyn is literally harder without parries.
Says the guy that can't parry Gwyn. :roll:
https://youtu.be/KeGdzjuLskQ?t=4934

1:22:15

For the record, bruh.
( see i can beat it )
Bruh, you're a real baller.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oooh hahah.
That sarcasm is dripping thicker than valley of defilement sludge
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Austin

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote:Oooh hahah.
That sarcasm is dripping thicker than valley of defilement sludge
Sorry. I just tend to not to take any sentence with the word "bruh" in it too seriously. ;)

Speaking of Defilement. You are right, it's pretty easy. You guys are also right that Demon's Souls is the easiest in the series. Spent half of my Saturday doing my third playthrough. Died only a few times and they were pretty much all because of stupid mistakes. Just ripped right through it, start to finish.

For some reason it was the hardest for me to learn. Going to blame playing this last after being spoiled by four other more refined Soulsborne games, not to mention not knowing good strategies for much of the game on my first couple of attempted runs. Once I did learn it though, yeah--it's pretty easy.

Might have to do a NG+ soon-ish once I get get caught up on some other games, just to see what the differences are.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah for a first timer it can be real tough.

my 'easiest in the series' title is after re-approaching each game afterwards.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haven't been around too much cause I been killing fuckers in Yharnam.

I've more or less stuck to my plan from a few months back. I did originally try and do Cainhurst after Amelia, but I decided it was a bit too soon. After Bryg was perfect.

Completed

Central Y - Old Y - Hemwick - Cathedral Ward - Forest - Bryg
Cainhurst - Unseen Village - Upper Cathedral - Orphanage - Hunter's Nightmare

Left

Mensis Nightmare, DLC, Dream

I don't remember exactly but here is ma build: VIT 40 something, End 20, str 10, skill 49, bt 10, arc 7. Only used the cane, but have started buffing the BOM for a possible NG+ run. Tried the Reiterpallasch but did not like at all. I'm going to get vit and sk to 50 and then arc to 15 so I can use the bone. Want to put a few points into bt also but this is presuming I go on to NG+.

Interesting things from this run - Sekiro has made me a far better BB player, parrying if far easier this time. And while fun the combat is a step down coming from 140 hours of Sekiro. BB is still great though :D

I haven't gotten stuck anywhere. Father G took two tries, BSB took two or three, Vicar took ONE. I fucking slaughtered her to the point I was surprised at how fast she went down. I died once on the fucking witch (laugh), Martyr took me the most (maybe ten) but I had a bunch of close calls with him. Crushed the Shadows and poor ROM within a few minutes of each other. Oh I killed Eileen in the Grand Cathedral. I forgot about her and Henryk and she went mad.

I no missed the three assholes in the Unseen Village. Bless the whip. One Reborn I still have never died to. Killed Amygdala blind:D. Ebrietas I came close solo but wound up summoning the NPC.

I dipped my toe in the DLC after Cainhurst. Made my way to Ludwig (who looks like his dad fucked a horse), and well you know how that went. He didn't take kindly to my remarks about his father and well.. My only complaint up to this point is the run back to Ludwig is too far for a boss that is definitely going to wreck my shit for a bit. After fighting (or running to his chamber and dying within 30 seconds) him a few times I figured to stick with my original plan and do the DLC after Mergo.

Been enjoying it a lot, def have seen some things I missed last time.
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Somewhere out there exists a person that has died to The One Reborn. Not sure where tho.

As far as the Ludwig runback, there is at least only one enemy and you don't even really have to fight it iirc. It is quite a long run though, so I get the frustration. Orphan is another that has no fights but just takes too long.

Once you get Ludwig figured out he really isn't all that bad, imo. He definitely hits hard though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote: My only complaint up to this point is the run back to Ludwig is too far for a boss that is definitely going to wreck my shit for a bit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Somewhere out there exists a person that has died to The One Reborn. Not sure where tho.

https://youtu.be/xRhPlKXYVTg?t=1652

27:32 Blinge delivers..
Steamflogger Boss

That physically hurt me to watch. :lol:

Fun video for real though. First time blind always produces some interesting things.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

If you think the Ludwig runback is long, chances are you're not using the closest bonfire. it's about 30 seconds from the boss room.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Immryr wrote:If you think the Ludwig runback is long, chances are you're not using the closest bonfire. it's about 30 seconds from the boss room.
Yes, this was in fact the issue. I found it accidentally last night running away in a panic from the two big fuckers.

Turns out I killed him on my 2nd try today. I was just super aggressive and only backed away when he went to the roof or was down to 1/3 health. 2nd phase was the same and then I managed to get behind him when he does his uh...death wave?

Made it through the clock tower. Excellent design and a wonderful evolution of the Duke's Archives. Failures took two tries and (I'm not saying anything anyone isn't aware of) are probably tied for worst boss along with the emissary. They can't all be home runs and honestly the heights of design in general make the occasional dud more than OK.
Steamflogger Boss

Worst dlc boss by miles.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm really starting to get why people consider Dark Souls to be the best game ever made. I haven't yet found a single thing to nitpick about it. Andre of Astora is probably the coolest blacksmith I've ever seen in my life. He's someone I'd love to have a beer with.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote:Turns out I killed him on my 2nd try today. I was just super aggressive and only backed away when he went to the roof or was down to 1/3 health. 2nd phase was the same and then I managed to get behind him when he does his uh...death wave?
:| :shock:
D=
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm all finished NG. Here are my parting thoughts for the rest of the DLC, and the last few bosses. I used the cane for the entire play through.

I
Spoiler
know I already mentioned Ludwig. I thought it was an amazing battle in every facet. His design is through the roof - the artists at FS come up with some truly original and macabre shit. They are to be commended. His arena is equally top tier - and the river of blood leading up to it is just aces all around. First you just see a river of blood, and then the bodies, and then more bodies, and then it gets dark and a hallway and that trademark FS foreboding of oh shit what am I about to walk into?

He killed me quite a bit before I got him, but it never ever felt unfair. I slowly realized that the more aggressive I became the better I was doing. So by the last few tries I was more or less treating him like Demon of Hatred. Stick to his legs, weave, and retreat to heal. I kept hearing how he didn't give too many openings to heal, but I felt like they were plenty generous.

Back to where I left off - Lady Maria. I almost felt bad for her. Great lead up, excellent opening cinematic, cool arena at the top of the clock tower. Then she attacked. And then she attacked again. And I realized I already knew her move set - it was really similar to the Interior Ministry Ninja. Then we got all bestowal ninjitsu on me and knew exactly what to do. Maybe in retrospect I shouldn't have parried the shit out of her (thanks Sekiro), but how was I pose'd to know? I killed her blind on my first try. Maybe on NG+ I won't parry her.

Fishing Hamlet - I thought the lead up to Ludwig was creepy? The fact that the entire thing takes place in a dream allows you to do things like exit a tower from the top and wind up in a village. My trip to the last lantern was FRANTIC cause I didn't know where the purple skulls were coming from. I thought it was an environmental hazard not an enemy that could be killed:D I eventually made my way through the hamlet, then the caves. I found the room with the two steroid using sharks. I wound up moving on. I had the idea to stab one with the shaman blade, but couldn't land it. I knew what the reward was, but I have no intention of using it so I bailed.

Speaking of - I sell almost everything I get my hands on. Weapons? I have five - cane, BOM, bowblade, pistol, and an evelyn in storage. All those costumes? I have four of each and half are full sets from hunter and old hunter. The only weapon form the dlc I didn't find was the bloodletter.

On to the Orphan.

I heard the nightmare stories - the aggression, people quitting, the countless deaths. And I wondered - is it true? I heard the same things about bosses in Sekiro and up to this point no boss in Bloodborne had killed me even remotely as many times as Lady Butterfly (>40), Sword Saint (>50), and even Guardian Ape (>30).

First fight I actually got him to the 2nd phase. He was actually pretty easy to parry in the 1st phase. Then I had three or four goes that went poorly all around.

And then I killed him :D

Got him to 2nd phase. Ran away when he did his placental energy attack, any of them. His placenta swing I wasn't afraid of at all since I had seen Gyubou use it, I would just back off and let him finish. Any other attacks I would dodge into (especially when he would go airborne - that's free hits on him), hit him once or twice, and back away. I had him down to 1/3 and got a stagger w/ visceral. He started to scream and I just kept swinging away.

Finished with 0 vials and just enough on the health bar to reach passed where the blood vial graphic is.

Gehrman went quick. MP took two tries and was harder than I thought it would be.
Next play through? Bow blade and BOM. VIT and SK is 55. End is 20. Started putting points in BT. Str 10 and I never touched arc. This is a straight PvE build. No interest in multiplayer.
Steamflogger Boss

Funny how that works I died to Isshin a small number of times, laughed at the ape. Orphan though, it fucked my shit up.

Did you finish Orphan properly? I didn't the first time...
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens is the chosen one, man.

Orphan rekt me first time (ng+) for a solid hour of attempts.

O...h wait. Stevens! Did you fight Laurence?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Funny how that works I died to Isshin a small number of times, laughed at the ape. Orphan though, it fucked my shit up.

Did you finish Orphan properly? I didn't the first time...
I did not. I saw the the spirit looking thing, walked up to it, looked at it, but didn't swing at it.
Blinge wrote:Stevens is the chosen one, man.

Orphan rekt me first time (ng+) for a solid hour of attempts.

O...h wait. Stevens! Did you fight Laurence?
So funny story - beat Orphan and was so hyped to go fight Gehrman and Moon that I totally forgot to go back to Laurence.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Are the Dark Souls graphic novels worth getting into?
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

NG+

Stats - vit 55 end 20 str 10 sk 55 bt 20 arc 11

Been putting points into bt and acr. Want to get arc to 15 for the bone and some shell I have. After that all going to bt (for bow and evelyn) unless I need more in vit or sk.

Planned on using both the bow blade and bom but so far the bow blade has been pretty neglected. Really digging the bom.

Had to stab cleric beast a lot in his ass/genitals. Father G beat me once but 2nd try was pretty god like (for me). I pretty much wrecked his shit. Djura was nice enough to let me kill him on the roof this time instead of jumping off too! Then I killed his helper who is way easier to deal with when you're not being shot at.

Almost back to bsb.

I think I am going to dig a bit deeper into the chalice dungeons every mid boss/boss to break things up a bit. Granted without scaling the first few have been piss easy.

Not much else to report - toying with changing up the order I go places (hemwick in the dark again maybe? or going down the chute to the healing church workshop before I kill bsb so no sack boys).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Finished Pthumeru and Pthumeru root. They were both really easy. Trying to access the Central Pthumeru but need one more ritual blood 2.

Anyways wrecked beef curtains one my first try with the bom. Got sent to prison by sack boy, but made my way back on the quick after picking up a few things and sending the nun to the chapel.

Vicar or the witch next, then probably Cainhurst.

Edit -

Did Vicar first. This is also happened where I traded my bom for my cane. Died three times with the blades, first try with my trusty cane. This is now a bow blade/cane play.

Headed into Hemwick. God the witch is one of the worst fights in the game. Not even a boss, more of a mini boss when you think about it.

I've realized the only thing changing on my end is bt, so when I do optional shit it doesn't really matter (unless I get my ass handed to me so bad I decide I need more sk/vit). Most likely Cainhurst next, followed by the forest, then Byrg, then one of Unseen/DLC.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Whoa triple post :D or :(?

Stats - vit 55 end 20 sk 58 (going to get it to 60 and then follow with Vit to 60) str 10 bt 50 arc 18

Anyways back to the lecture hall on one end. Not sure if I'm going to do both nightmares or just mensis. I bought and leveled up the chikage to +9. It is fun enough so far. I tend to roll out with the cane (cause it's familiar) and one of the other two. I'll use the bow blade or the chikage mostly, the cane is more of a back up.

In the dlc I just downed Ludwig. This game would own so hard if it had a boss/hunter rush like Sekiro.

Speaking of I am very close to going back to that. I may start it before I finish this play through.

Considering a no prayer bead run.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Been farming blood gems from the lanterns in the hamlet. It is unlikely I will will dive that deep into the chalice dungeons at this point. I like BB a lot, but that just seems like a giant pain in the ass.

Got three 22%+ with stamina penalty, three 22% that lower durability (not really a bad penalty), and three other 22% with attack down against kin. Would like to replace the kin ones with stamina or weapon penalty.

Going to meet Laurence next. I had to look up how to find his skull, which is funny cause I found it legit last time, I just forgot to fight him.

After Laurence the Orphan. I'll kill the spirit this time. Then it's back to Mensis and I'll finish up the main game. Still haven't started Sekiro so maybe that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote: This game would own so hard if it had a boss/hunter rush like Sekiro.
Sekiro has a boss rush?
is it a mod?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge wrote:
Stevens wrote: This game would own so hard if it had a boss/hunter rush like Sekiro.
Sekiro has a boss rush?
is it a mod?
PC mod yeah.
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens wrote:Been farming blood gems from the lanterns in the hamlet. It is unlikely I will will dive that deep into the chalice dungeons at this point. I like BB a lot, but that just seems like a giant pain in the ass.
It's very repetitive to get to like 2-3 new fights eventually. I quit the first time I was doing it and fired up that save quite a bit later when I was in another From/BB mood.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I am finished with Bloodborne for the foreseeable future.

Finished up my NG+ by taking down the Orphan solo, it took me maybe double the tries it did on NG. What a fantastic fight! I mean it isn't anything you cats aren't already aware of, but if boss fight 101 was a class the Orphan fight would be studied and dissected in said class. Along with a fair amount of other FS bosses. Arena size, pacing, aggression, down time, varied move set, and most importantly no bullshit. It is just you and it.

After playing through BB twice these last few weeks it became apparent (or I'm just guessing) that fights like the Orphan, Ludwig, and Maria were almost like proto Sekiro boss fights.

After Orphan I put maybe 30 tries or so into Laurence both solo and with Valtr. Never got frustrated but enough was enough. I did strangely almost beat him my first try. He had a tiny sliver of health left but I couldn't seal the deal.

Went back, killed the wet nurse (she ain't got no boobs!) and finally another great fight with Gehrman.

In the end Sekiro and BB have some things in common, but they are very different games in a lot of respects. Which do I prefer? Sekiro for its combat and by quite a bit. Bloodborne for world and setting. The combat is good, but Sekiro seems to be the natural progression of what (again guessing) Miyazaki was going for. Hoping Elden Ring is Sekiro like in combat or at least has weapons that give you the option of playing it like Sekiro.

I don't say this lightly, but if I could only play one from here on out it would be Sekiro. Good thing I don't have to decide.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

So I still haven't started Sekiro again (probably today). My NG+2 started up and I had this nice +10 bow blade that I really didn't use that much last run so I figured what the heck?

I honestly didn't realize how good it is.

General unchecked aggression has allowed me to completely pummel -

Cleric Beast - Quick kill.

Gascoigne - Not only did I wreck his shit I killed him as he transformed. Also no music box.

Amelia - Nothing really different than my NG+ fight.

Witches - this one was at least a bit more fun. The mad ones seem to be more aggressive at high insight.

The Shadows - This one was interesting. I was trying to fight them evenly. I took too long and those snakes spawned with two of them left. I died. Went back and slaughtered them quick.

Rom - Oh you poor thing. The last fight I didn't kill her kids and I was able to kill her but it took a while. This time same plan - I killed her in under two minutes.

Martyr - Everyone's favorite frozen undead bringer of pain. Took me two tries. On my 4th play through I can safely say ML is one of the best boss fights Bloodborne has to offer. Really like this fight.

Granted my quick kills could be cause I'm over leveled (BL 190 something?), but I'm putting everything into BT and SK. Vit and End haven't been leveled since my NG run, so levels aside I am getting better.

I'm up to the Unseen Village or DLC. Probably going to actually start Sekiro today and play through the rest of BB slowly.

Is anyone doing Return to Yharnam?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

So it took my fourth play through (NG, NG, NG+, NG+2) before I hit a real wall.

Ludwig with the bow blade.

It took me probably around 2 - 4 hours total over three days or so. I toiled, I messed with different runes, I even considered summoning Valtr. The jump in his difficulty from NG+ to +2 feels pretty significant. I went from getting wrecked (my dodge timing felt really off at first) to crushing his first phase. I had three or four close calls on his second phase, but I stuck with it and earned my prize.

His sword. That I once again sold immediately:D

I'm skipping the frontier this time so all I have left is Mensis and the rest of the DLC. I will finish both and then see if I start again with a new build or play again with another weapon (I have a saif +9..kinda wanted a cleaver).

Also started Sekiro again. Taking my time with it like my first play. Going for base attack, minimum necklace run. Meaning I'll make one if I really need to.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I just beat Ornstein and Smough on my second attempt. That has got to be one of the most amazing boss battles I've ever seen. So god damn epic.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Second attempt is damn good for a blind playthrough?

Build?
First Souls game?
Summon?