SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter

Post by kitty666cats »

...so, anyone tried this? It seems to essentially be a primordial Sync Strike, long forgotten. I've never, ever heard it mentioned in gamer circles. Quite curious about it!
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

Guspaz wrote:I didn't realize that the board was unpopulated. They do sell the SCART connector separately, and you could cut open a VGA cable and solder it to the SCART connector, but for the simpler solution, the BNC-to-SCART adapter for US$26:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... verter-bnc

And the BNC-to-DE15 for $6:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=562
Are you sure that monoprice cable is bi-directional? Also, if you were just using RGBS, would that work since it's RGBHV? I have a similar situation as OP, except I'm trying to get scart into an Extron RGB. I think I'll probably go with the scart2dvi, but if that monoprice cable would work, I already have everything I need, even if the cabling would be pretty inelegant.
matt

Post by matt »

jamon1567 wrote:Are you sure that monoprice cable is bi-directional? Also, if you were just using RGBS, would that work since it's RGBHV? I have a similar situation as OP, except I'm trying to get scart into an Extron RGB. I think I'll probably go with the scart2dvi, but if that monoprice cable would work, I already have everything I need, even if the cabling would be pretty inelegant.
The Monoprice cable is just a basic adapter - there are no electronics and it'll work in either direction.

RGBS will work fine through an Extron VGA switcher, just run composite sync through the Hsync pin. I use this setup myself, although I'm not a big fan of SCART so I just made dedicated DB15 cables for my consoles.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

matt wrote:
jamon1567 wrote:Are you sure that monoprice cable is bi-directional? Also, if you were just using RGBS, would that work since it's RGBHV? I have a similar situation as OP, except I'm trying to get scart into an Extron RGB. I think I'll probably go with the scart2dvi, but if that monoprice cable would work, I already have everything I need, even if the cabling would be pretty inelegant.
The Monoprice cable is just a basic adapter - there are no electronics and it'll work in either direction.
To add to this, SCART and, to a lesser extent, JP21 are really the only directional cable types we (gamers) might have to deal with, and that's because they were designed to accommodate bidirectional communication between AV recording devices, such as transferring audio and video between a VCR and a camcorder using the same cable.

Specifically, that accommodation resulted in separate sets of wires for left channel audio, right channel audio, composite video/luma, and chroma all in the same cable that get crossed over, meaning a given SCART device has a set of pins for sending each of those signals to another device, and it has a second set of pins for receiving all of those signals from another device, and the pins for output on one end are connected to the pins for input on the other end.

That results in a cable that is not straight-through on all pins, like most every other cable type we have to deal with. All pins on DE-15/VGA, BNC, RCA, F-type, TOSLINK, etc. cables are connected to the same-number pin on the other end; So, if, for example, you put a signal on pin 3 in a VGA cable, it will come out on pin 3 on the other end. If, however, you put sync on pin 20 on a SCART cable, it won't come out on pin 20 on the other end. This is why RGC's SCART to BNC adapters have a switch; so it can route sync from SCART pin 20 to BNC H/CS, or sync from BNC H/CS to SCART pin 19 (maybe audio, too; I don't have one of these to crack open and check).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Can someone share the details on scart2dvi output?
I assume it is an all analog circuit that outputs RGBHV on a DVI-I connection? (Not a transcoder that samples the input, processes it in the digital domain, and runs it through a DAC?)
We apologise for the inconvenience
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

orange808 wrote:Can someone share the details on scart2dvi output?
I assume it is an all analog circuit that outputs RGBHV on a DVI-I connection? (Not a transcoder that samples the input, processes it in the digital domain, and runs it through a DAC?)
That's correct, it just buffers the video through a THS7368
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

nmalinoski wrote:
matt wrote:
To add to this, SCART and, to a lesser extent, JP21 are really the only directional cable types we (gamers) might have to deal with, and that's because they were designed to accommodate bidirectional communication between AV recording devices, such as transferring audio and video between a VCR and a camcorder using the same cable.

Specifically, that accommodation resulted in separate sets of wires for left channel audio, right channel audio, composite video/luma, and chroma all in the same cable that get crossed over, meaning a given SCART device has a set of pins for sending each of those signals to another device, and it has a second set of pins for receiving all of those signals from another device, and the pins for output on one end are connected to the pins for input on the other end.

That results in a cable that is not straight-through on all pins, like most every other cable type we have to deal with. All pins on DE-15/VGA, BNC, RCA, F-type, TOSLINK, etc. cables are connected to the same-number pin on the other end; So, if, for example, you put a signal on pin 3 in a VGA cable, it will come out on pin 3 on the other end. If, however, you put sync on pin 20 on a SCART cable, it won't come out on pin 20 on the other end. This is why RGC's SCART to BNC adapters have a switch; so it can route sync from SCART pin 20 to BNC H/CS, or sync from BNC H/CS to SCART pin 19 (maybe audio, too; I don't have one of these to crack open and check).
I wanted to make sure because I have this cable that I use with my gscartsw 3.4 to output to my monitor/crosspoint, yet when I tried to connect my crosspoint to the Extron RGB using this, it didn't work. It even says on the site it's HD15 --> BNC exclusively, so I thought this other adapter may be similar. Maybe that cable is different though since it isn't VGA?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

jamon1567 wrote:I wanted to make sure because I have this cable that I use with my gscartsw 3.4 to output to my monitor/crosspoint, yet when I tried to connect my crosspoint to the Extron RGB using this, it didn't work. It even says on the site it's HD15 --> BNC exclusively, so I thought this other adapter may be similar. Maybe that cable is different though since it isn't VGA?
That's weird. It's possible they added some electronics that make it directional, but why?

I'd grab a multimeter and check that pins 1, 2, 3, and 13 are connected to red, green, blue, and sync respectively, going both ways (black on DE-15, red on BNC; then black on BNC, red on DE-15), then, out of curiosity, I'd see which pins are connected to ground.

If that testing works one way, but not the other, I'd complain to Monoprice, because directionality is not actually in the item description and was unknown to you before you bought it (ostensibly based on the description). If, however, the testing works both ways, that would confirm it's a passive cable, and there's something else to your Crossspoint/RGB interface problem.
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

nmalinoski wrote:
jamon1567 wrote:I wanted to make sure because I have this cable that I use with my gscartsw 3.4 to output to my monitor/crosspoint, yet when I tried to connect my crosspoint to the Extron RGB using this, it didn't work. It even says on the site it's HD15 --> BNC exclusively, so I thought this other adapter may be similar. Maybe that cable is different though since it isn't VGA?
That's weird. It's possible they added some electronics that make it directional, but why?

I'd grab a multimeter and check that pins 1, 2, 3, and 13 are connected to red, green, blue, and sync respectively, going both ways (black on DE-15, red on BNC; then black on BNC, red on DE-15), then, out of curiosity, I'd see which pins are connected to ground.

If that testing works one way, but not the other, I'd complain to Monoprice, because directionality is not actually in the item description and was unknown to you before you bought it (ostensibly based on the description). If, however, the testing works both ways, that would confirm it's a passive cable, and there's something else to your Crossspoint/RGB interface problem.
Well, I bought it a while back specifically to use with my gscartsw, so I don't really have any valid complaint. That said, it was mentioned in the QA that it isn't bi-directional. I didn't, however, see that for the other adapter which is why I was curious.

Edit: actually I correct myself. For the VGA --> 5 female BNC, it says in the QA that is only VGA --> BNC as well. I think maybe I was thinking of a similar product by another brand that I was looking at on Amazon where it wasn't clear.
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

On a side note. I'm leaning towards purchasing the scart2dvi, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are cases available for it? I emailed Insurrection and they said they don't have any, nor are they aware of any existing, but I saw on RetroRGB's site that he said cases will be available at some point in the future. Anyone know of any?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

jamon1567 wrote: I wanted to make sure because I have this cable that I use with my gscartsw 3.4 to output to my monitor/crosspoint, yet when I tried to connect my crosspoint to the Extron RGB using this, it didn't work. It even says on the site it's HD15 --> BNC exclusively, so I thought this other adapter may be similar. Maybe that cable is different though since it isn't VGA?
I can't get output from my gscartsw to work with an Extron RGB at all--without using an external LM1881N sync stripper. The gscartsw built in sync stripper doesn't get the job done.

--------------

General notice:
Before the predictable "you've been quoted at schmups" notification arrives, let's establish something: Yes! I tried using the switches on the gscartsw to fix the issue. I noticed there are some labels printed on the board and they tell me what the switches do! :) Amazing!

All sarcasm aside, it really doesn't work. I didn't bother returning it or complaining. I just added the sync stripper to the chain and moved on.
We apologise for the inconvenience
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

orange808 wrote: I can't get output from my gscartsw to work with an Extron RGB at all--without using an external LM1881N sync stripper. The gscartsw built in sync stripper doesn't get the job done.

--------------

General notice:
Before the predictable "you've been quoted at schmups" notification arrives, let's establish something: Yes! I tried using the switches on the gscartsw to fix the issue. I noticed there are some labels printed on the board and they tell me what the switches do! :) Amazing!

All sarcasm aside, it really doesn't work. I didn't bother returning it or complaining. I just added the sync stripper to the chain and moved on.
Oh yea, I understand and I have the same issue. I use the cable for running video from my gscartsw to either a monitor or a crosspoint. I was trying to use it by running my SuperGrafx (which is the system I need to get into the Extron RGB) --> female scart to BNC --> crosspoint --> Extron RGB. However, since the cable is not bi-directional, I couldn't get the signal from my crosspoint to the RGB unit.

Thinking this through a little more though, I'm not sure if I want to get the scart2dvi or the sync strike. I don't need the LPF since I'm using the SSDS3 on my SuperGrafx, so the sync strike would get it done. And the sync strike can be powered by scart, so I may go that direction so I have one less cable (usb to power the scart2dvi) to worry about. Oh, and the sync strike has a case you can buy too, so there's that.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Xyga wrote:The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
But it's 9pin, you would have to solder a 15pin in place.
You don’t have to solder anything. There are db15 solder-less screw terminals on aliexpress for a few dollars.

In fact the pinout is already on these very forums http://www.ym2149.com/rgbphilips.jpg :shock:

Edit: this db9 to db15 adapter looks like it might be wired correctly https://www.amazon.com/CGA-9-Pin-15-Pin ... e=UTF8&me=
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

jamon1567 wrote:On a side note. I'm leaning towards purchasing the scart2dvi, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are cases available for it? I emailed Insurrection and they said they don't have any, nor are they aware of any existing, but I saw on RetroRGB's site that he said cases will be available at some point in the future. Anyone know of any?
It fits pretty perfectly into a generic Pi 3 case, I'm just going to saw the properly shaped holes into mine and hold it down with some bluetack
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

maxtherabbit wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote:
Xyga wrote:I remember seeing one on sale long ago, and it was already old stock from a store that used to sell video processors, the thing was probably made on site or in very low supply intended as a convenience service for their customers.

In short; you won't find one.

The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
If I got that adapter (thanks for finding it btw) would this 9 pin to 15 pin adapter work?

C2G 02457 MultiSync VGA (HD15) Male to DB9 Female Serial RS232 Adapter, Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511D5/re ... -DbVR4VEGN
I would skip all that BS and go with either the SCART2DVI that retrorgb posted earlier in this thread, or the SCART to VGA made by tinkerplunk

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/psa2AORa

If you want to buy the tinkerplunk one, I know a guy selling fully assembled units for $25 shipped
Do you happen to know if yr dude is still doing this? Does he have a site for it, or is it just a little side-hobby he does when someone finds themselves needing one?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

He still has some. No website just a dude in Taiwan I know from ace's discord
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

maxtherabbit wrote:He still has some. No website just a dude in Taiwan I know from ace's discord
Awesome, once I get my cash flow more stabilized I'd like to give one a try! Forum poster "matt" actually made me one and it's awesome, 'twas greatly appreciated.

Good stuff, got a LM1881 in there for when I need to get my PS1/PS1 cable into the ol' Extron 580xi :)
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

I'd be interested in one.
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

kitty666cats wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:He still has some. No website just a dude in Taiwan I know from ace's discord
Awesome, once I get my cash flow more stabilized I'd like to give one a try! Forum poster "matt" actually made me one and it's awesome, 'twas greatly appreciated.

Good stuff, got a LM1881 in there for when I need to get my PS1/PS1 cable into the ol' Extron 580xi :)
Is "matt" offering these for others that are interested? I'd be very interested in one if he is and you can direct me onto how to get in touch with him.
matt

Post by matt »

jamon1567 wrote:Is "matt" offering these for others that are interested? I'd be very interested in one if he is and you can direct me onto how to get in touch with him.
Sure, send me a PM if you want.
strayan

Post by strayan »

strayan wrote:
Xyga wrote:The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
In fact the pinout is already on these very forums http://www.ym2149.com/rgbphilips.jpg :shock:

Edit: this db9 to db15 adapter looks like it might be wired correctly https://www.amazon.com/CGA-9-Pin-15-Pin ... e=UTF8&me=
I can confirm that paired together the Philips CM8833 Scart to 9 pin adapter and db9 to db15 cable linked work (as long as you don’t need a sync cleaner of course).
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strayan wrote:
strayan wrote:
(seems wired for RGBs)

I can confirm that paired together the Philips CM8833 Scart to 9 pin adapter and db9 to db15 cable linked work (as long as you don’t need a sync cleaner of course).
Awesome, glad you've confirmed it!!! What did you connect it to? :)
matt

Post by matt »

While we're bringing back old posts... I forgot to mention before that I have this same VGA to 4 BNC cable and can confirm that it works in both directions. I'm not sure why the website says otherwise.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

matt wrote:
While we're bringing back old posts... I forgot to mention before that I have this same VGA to 4 BNC cable and can confirm that it works in both directions. I'm not sure why the website says otherwise.
You're talkin' the light gray Monoprice, yeah? Mine most certainly works in both directions. I've yet to run into a DE-15<->4BNC/5BNC that DOESN'T work in both directions.
strayan

Post by strayan »

kitty666cats wrote:Awesome, glad you've confirmed it!!! What did you connect it to? :)
My TV takes RGsB.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strayan wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Awesome, glad you've confirmed it!!! What did you connect it to? :)
My TV takes RGsB.
Ah, that's interesting, CRT or a newer technology? Also: is that the only type of sync the pinout would allow? I'm very green (no pun intended) in this regard, my apologies. I'm happy you've proved it to work, at the very least with sync on green aka SOGGY :)
matt

Post by matt »

kitty666cats wrote:You're talkin' the light gray Monoprice, yeah? Mine most certainly works in both directions. I've yet to run into a DE-15<->4BNC/5BNC that DOESN'T work in both directions.
Yup, that's the one. There's no good reason why it wouldn't - if it contained circuitry to combine H&V sync it would almost certainly be advertised as a feature and cost a lot more.
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

matt wrote:
I'll have to try again. Quite possible I effed something up, but not sure what it coulda been.