Gradius Discord group

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
namcokid47

Gradius Discord group

Post by namcokid47 »

Hey. I don't know if this is the proper place to put this, but I've seen people post links to Discord servers in here so I decided to follow suite. Anyway, not too long ago (and by that I mean a day ago) I made a Gradius Discord group. Haven't been able to really find any good Gradius server, so I thought I'd just make my own. Since this forum is all about shooters, and lots of people here like Gradius, I thought I'd post it here. It's a bit barren as of now, but I've tried my best to make is "presentable" as I could; there's a few users here already and I'd like to see more.
Last edited by namcokid47 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi." - Darius II
FRO

Re: Gradius Discord group

Post by FRO »

MathU

Post by MathU »

Why not... just make a Gradius thread? Serious question.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

MathU wrote:Why not... just make a Gradius thread? Serious question.
Have you since taken steps to establish a matrix shmup chat server? (serious question)

That said: I absolutely encourage having a discord (or other system) realtime chat about Gradius. The best of luck to the admins, systematic horis need representation.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
MathU

Post by MathU »

schleichfahrt wrote:Have you since taken steps to establish a matrix shmup chat server? (serious question)
No? Why would that be my job? It's pretty trivial to create a Matrix room on one of the main servers if you want one, not really any harder to making an IRC channel.

I just find it difficult to understand why you would guide a subgroup of people from here into a chat room effectively serving as a subforum. Do you think you're going to get a deeper conversation on Gradius than simply making a thread here for the larger forum population to participate in?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

MathU wrote:No? Why would that be my job?
Because you keep dissing Discord and posting stuff like:
alternatives to it exist now which are fully featured. The Matrix protocol is robust and clients such as Riot.im are mature. There is no such thing as an "independent" Discord server. All of your communications are subject to collection by Discord's owners and they reserve the right to sell that information in the event of a buy out (it's in the TOS). There is no way to opt out of this due to the proprietary, centralized nature of the software. But with Matrix (much like IRC), however, you can actually have an independent, surveillance-free server of your own.
That makes it your job.

You have to either do it, or STFU ;)
MathU

Post by MathU »

I'm afraid I don't. That's called a tu quoque or "appeal to hypocrisy" fallacy. Whether or not I personally undertake starting a Matrix shmups room has nothing to do with the merits of my actual argument against using Discord. Whether I do that or not, Discord is still funded by a huge slew of venture capitalists and still reserves the right to datamine your conversations and profit off of them.

But you know what? I said my piece already in that other thread. You're the one who brought that in here. My question in this thread would be the same if the OP had asked people to join a Gradius IRC channel or a Gradius Matrix group. Why not just discuss Gradius here, where we already have a huge amount of shooting fans who like talking about Gradius?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

MathU wrote:That's called a tu quoque
The Americans call that: "all bark and no bite".

But to get back on topic: better join that Gradius discord.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

MathU wrote:I'm afraid I don't. That's called a tu quoque or "appeal to hypocrisy" fallacy. Whether or not I personally undertake starting a Matrix shmups room has nothing to do with the merits of my actual argument against using Discord. Whether I do that or not, Discord is still funded by a huge slew of venture capitalists and still reserves the right to datamine your conversations and profit off of them.

But you know what? I said my piece already in that other thread. You're the one who brought that in here. My question in this thread would be the same if the OP had asked people to join a Gradius IRC channel or a Gradius Matrix group. Why not just discuss Gradius here, where we already have a huge amount of shooting fans who like talking about Gradius?
Because one is in real time and one isn’t. Jesus.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

The Gradius subreddit already has a Gradius Discord with 130+ people in it: https://discord.gg/BuTp4gS
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*