Arcade PCB repair?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
drboom

Arcade PCB repair?

Post by drboom »

I use to go through Raymond at arcadecomponents but haven't been able to get a hold of him, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a solid, reputable repair guy stateside.
thchardcore

Re: Arcade PCB repair?

Post by thchardcore »

Ken at irepairsega. Very solid guy.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
juji82

Post by juji82 »

drboom

Post by drboom »

Thanks both of you guys!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Caius is awesome, but not in the US so factor shipping in.

Ken is awesome, but you will be paying a bunch.

I know some guys, but before I recommend, you need to tell us what type of PCB (80's, 90s, JAMMA, Vector, Shooter, Neo Geo, etc) b/c that affects who I would recommend as well. Not everyone is great at all types of boards.

For example, for Neo Geo, I would without a doubt say James at Jamma Nation X (in Hawaii), but I wouldn't send James a Cave PCB, unless I just wanted play a few rounds with him... :P

-X
Last edited by XtraSmiley on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Cool - here are the three I need to have work done to:
1) Raiden - graphical glitch on left side of screen
2) Sega ST-V (US bios) - doesn't read carts. Mobo boots up and passes all tests. When it goes to read the cart, nothing happens.
3) Sega ST-V (JP bios) - fires up only to black screen. One of the chips on the board get hot really fast, so I have not gone too deep into troubleshooting this one.
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

Not to be a Debbie downer, but it probably doesn’t make financial sense to try to repair those boards. You’ll end up spending easily more than they’re worth ($100-$125 For raiden, $75-$100 For ST-V roughly speaking).

I’m all for repairing games and keeping them alive as long as possible. Maybe use this as an opportunity to work on your own repair skills?
drboom

Post by drboom »

I’d rather get them repaired and know I have something that has been gone over and recapped and fixed than to buy another board and wait for them to also need repairs. Financial sense would lead me to just use MAME and eschew collecting boards all together. ;) I don’t mind the cost, I just need someone who can do the work well.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Graphical glitch is a bit vague, but a picture is worth a thousand words. It might be possible to do a simple diagnosis by looking at a pic.
drboom

Post by drboom »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GScqb ... SE_UXKtvMU

It's on the left and it's a super dark shadow. It's hard to show and this is probably not the best pic, but it should give you an idea. I should also mention the game plays fine, it's just this shadow on the left. I am assuming this is some sort of rom corruption. Also, I do have -5v going to the board.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

That's an interesting one. My guess is that there's a bit is used to indicate a "shadow" color in the sprite buffer. Is there supposed to be a shadow underneath the main ship? If there is, maybe its absence could be related.

If that shadow wobbles a bit, then that gives credence to it having a magic transparent bit, and that might be floating. This is all just theory, though.
neSneSgB

Post by neSneSgB »

The ship, missiles, and gun sprites all appear to have wrong colors too, so that might be related to the shadow problem.
caius

Post by caius »

XtraSmiley wrote:Caius is awesome, but not in the US, nor does he do repair work anymore (I believe).
Who said I no longer do repair work???Before saying something, try to inform yourself first, please.This is not the first time from you to behave in this way.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

caius wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:Caius is awesome, but not in the US, nor does he do repair work anymore (I believe).
Who said I no longer do repair work???Before saying something, try to inform yourself first, please.This is not the first time from you to behave in this way.
Sorry Cauis, but that post is from 8 months ago and I said I believe, no reason to get angry. I will of course edit my post.