480i issue with Extron RGB 203 Rxi

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Speedy

480i issue with Extron RGB 203 Rxi

Post by Speedy »

I'm running into an issue with 480i (no issues with 480p or 720p) through an Extron RGB 203 Rxi with two different Sony BVM-D monitors. The issue is that a single scanline will alternate between odd/even so the picture looks like its bouncing up and down.

I'm wondering if I need to open it up and adjust the "Sync Polarity Jumper" and/or the "Video Clamping Jumper"... Does anyone know what either of these two jumpers do or if they'd likely fix my 480i issue?

Additionally, I can't seem to figure out how to even open up the 203. Could someone please explain how to do this?

This is how the manual says to open it but there are only two screws on each side (not three) and when I try to slide it back, nothing happens (it feels like all the connections on the rear are holding it in place):
Spoiler
Thanks!

P.S. I also have a few Extron RGB 192v boxes and they don't have this issue, but I specifically need to use the 203 in this case because I need the input/resolution memory for H-SHIFT adjustments. My OG Xbox needs the SERR correction when connected to my BVMs and it also shifts 480p and 720p horizontally different amounts. If I use the 192 then I can't shift the two resolutions independently. Additionally, the OG Xbox seems to shift 480p and 720p different amounts than all my other RGB sources that are connected to the same input on my BVM so I don't want to use the BVM's alignment controls and throw everything else off.
Speedy

Re: 480i issue with Extron RGB 203 Rxi

Post by Speedy »

Bump
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The issue is that a single scanline will alternate between odd/even so the picture looks like its bouncing up and down.
isn't this the very nature of interlaced video?

About opening the machine: if I recall correctly, you have to remove the nut screws next to the Dub15 inputs and the Dsub9 connector on the right before you can slide off the top part of the case.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Do you think the jumpers could help? If so, I'm wondering if I need to open it up and adjust the "Sync Polarity Jumper" and/or the "Video Clamping Jumper",
Fudoh wrote:
The issue is that a single scanline will alternate between odd/even so the picture looks like its bouncing up and down.
isn't this the very nature of interlaced video?
Kind of... I can see how I wasn't clear enough with my explanation...

480i would correctly have an odd field and an even field that would be alternated between. The output device sends the odd field, the display draws the odd line, the output devices sends the even field, the display draws the even line.

My problem is that it is instead drawing the odd field on the odd line, followed by the odd field on the even line, followed by the odd field on the odd line, followed by the odd field on the even line, etc... This is why I said that the picture appears be bouncing way more than a typical interlaced picture.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are differences between how the various interface models handle interlaced signals. I can't say that I've seen what you're describing though.

Does the DDSP switch affect the behaviour ? On the interface models that can be used to change 480i to 240p video (you might be seeing a faulty version of that), the sync polarity jumper can alter (= switch around) the behaviour of said DDSP dip when it comes to 480i handling. So, yes I would give that a try. Video clamping shouln't be responsible for that.....
Gara

Post by Gara »

The manual lies. Opening up the 203 is so much more complicated. You have to unscrew every db15 port. I too wanted access to the internal switches, but it was so complicated I never did it myself. I'll post back if I can find the post where I saw more detailed breakdown information.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Fudoh wrote:There are differences between how the various interface models handle interlaced signals. I can't say that I've seen what you're describing though.

Does the DDSP switch affect the behaviour ? On the interface models that can be used to change 480i to 240p video (you might be seeing a faulty version of that), the sync polarity jumper can alter (= switch around) the behaviour of said DDSP dip when it comes to 480i handling. So, yes I would give that a try. Video clamping shouln't be responsible for that.....
DDSP does fix 480i, but then I can't adjust H-SHIFT.
Gara wrote:The manual lies. Opening up the 203 is so much more complicated. You have to unscrew every db15 port. I too wanted access to the internal switches, but it was so complicated I never did it myself. I'll post back if I can find the post where I saw more detailed breakdown information.
Thank you!!! I read the manual and looked at the unit and felt like I was going crazy.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

DDSP does fix 480i, but then I can't adjust H-SHIFT.
exactly. But when you flip the sync polarity (don't recall whether it was vertical or horizontal), you invert the behaviour. So you can get the controls while getting the 480i behaviour you want.