Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by thebigcheese »

Just wanted to add that I was able to update via software successfully with the new GC Dual 3.0c that Dan added. No issues so far, but I also haven't done much more than turn it on and make sure settings save.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Syntax wrote:Programmer

https://www.ebay.com/p/7014000399?iid=253056283240

Heres the install files for the programmer

https://mega.nz/#!24kETSCI!ICi_UWlLAw9t ... Egdd5srBXM

And the video Dan made.

https://youtu.be/RSG9kC6o0G0?t=578

I don't power on the console, I power 3.3v from the programmer.
Thank you again. I managed to update my GCvideo4.0 with the Shuriken V3 firmware as Dan suggestion. It works great.

But allow me to go slightly off topic and say that I really hate mini HDMI :O

After I hooked up the GameCube (GCN > HDMI Switch > TV) I had picture but no sound. I had it set correctly to enhanced DVI, but after a while I discovered that ARC from my TV to my AVR was gone, and there was no way I could get it back. Even tried resetting both to factory defaults but I could not get ARC working at all.

After an hour or so I discovered that if I unplugged the HDMI switch ARC returned once again. So I suspected that the switch had fried somehow, but in reality it all turned out to be the shitty mini HDMI cable I was using for my GameCube. Even just plugged in to the unpowered GameCube it would cause ARC to not work anymore, so I guess the mini hdmi connector end shorts out something when I plug it into the GameCube.

I have an old mini HDMI to HDMI adapter that came with an EVGA graphics card, and it works perfectly fine with this. TV, AVR, GameCube and even the HDMI switch works great still! /Rant over :D

A huge thumbs up to Yamaha for allowing me to backup my settings to USB before initializing the receiver. That would have wasted half a day if I had to get everything back the way it was :D

Next up is the Wii... :mrgreen:
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

3.0d far off citrus??

Im still getting audio glitching on some boots, and sometimes the WiiDual will not output video on some boots.
This is happening on 3 WiiDual installs now.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Syntax wrote:3.0d far off citrus??

Im still getting audio glitching on some boots, and sometimes the WiiDual will not output video on some boots.
This is happening on 3 WiiDual installs now.
I'll compile now, but 3.0d is not going to help with these issues afaik.

Another issue that I'm not sure what to do. Previous WiiDual users have there colors swapped in their scart cables. Is it better to switch the firmware or have users swap their scart cables back to normal.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

citrus3000psi wrote:Another issue that I'm not sure what to do. Previous WiiDual users have there colors swapped in their scart cables. Is it better to switch the firmware or have users swap their scart cables back to normal.
Would it be possible to have two different firmwares - one for standard cables and another for custom wired versions? Or alternatively if that would be too complicated what about a selectable menu toggle option? (Perhaps with a warning that if your SCART cables wiring doesn't match the selected option then you may need to use a GC Controller or HDMI cable to reset it) Or perhaps you could have one of those 10 second confirmation prompts like Windows has when switching resolutions?

It would just be nice if the WiiDual could support standard/official Wii SCART cables (Although it would be 15kHz only unless you replaced the motherboards Composite Video pin with CSYNC from WiiDual or switched the pins around inside the cables AV plug to use 31kHz CSYNC)
Last edited by Link83 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:Is it better to switch the firmware
As the WiiDual config is the one that always ran out of FPGA space first during development, it would certainly be best to not swap the color channels in the FPGA.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Unseen wrote: As the WiiDual config is the one that always ran out of FPGA space first during development, it would certainly be best to not swap the color channels in the FPGA.
Then on your next commit, I'd switch it back. So many people and cable makers expect the colors already in this format.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:Then on your next commit, I'd switch it back. So many people and cable makers expect the colors already in this format.
While I've got your attention, what pin is used for VData0 on WiiDual? I suspect that the constraints you sent me a long time ago do not match the current hardware.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Unseen wrote:While I've got your attention, what pin is used for VData0 on WiiDual? I suspect that the constraints you sent me a long time ago do not match the current hardware.
Sure, I just uploaded the constraints here: https://pastebin.com/cChuZ8N0
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

citrus3000psi wrote:Then on your next commit, I'd switch it back. So many people and cable makers expect the colors already in this format.
That would be good, switching the cable on top of the update is a PITA. Man, sometimes you gotta leave well enough alone, I think I'll just stick to 2.4c.2, which fixed that nasty chroma bug and I don't see what else there is to improve AV-wise. I guess there's that pixel shift bug Extrems kept bringing up, but I haven't seen any mention of that in the recent changelogs.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:Sure, I just uploaded the constraints here: https://pastebin.com/cChuZ8N0
Thanks, three differences spotted that probably explain all currently-open WiiDual video issues. =)
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

fernan1234 wrote:I think I'll just stick to 2.4c.2
Please don't give up on 3.0.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:Please don't give up on 3.0.
Why, did it fix the bug you were concerned about before? I think the advantages to update would need to be really compelling and related to AV, especially if a cable change for WiiDual would be required.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The fact that the lastest firmwares allow for updates via homebrew .dol is a real game changer, that is the big reason I am flashing it to all my customers boards free of charge.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Firmware updates by a drag-and-drop file is much easier and more convenient.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Firmware updates by a drag-and-drop file is much easier and more convenient.
If you're talking about drag-and-drop in the sense of hooking up a device to a computer via USB, having it show up as a mass storage device, and using the computer's file manager to copy an image to that device in order to update the firmware, I might agree with you in the context of portables or handhelds, but not consoles.

If you're someone who normally keeps their GameCube or Wii hooked up (like a bunch of us here do with our consoles), then you're looking at either partly disassembling your GameCube setup to remove your external GCVideo product, or completely disassembling your GameCube or Wii setup reassembling it at your computer, or even completely disassembling your GameCube or Wii if you didn't want or bother to cut another hole out of the case to add a USB port and then reassembling it when you're done.

And what do you do if you already have a GCVideo product? You'd either have to buy a new one that has USB support or you'd have to [right now, design and] install a hard mod that would add a USB port so you can connect it to a computer in the first place. I imagine there's only a select few DIY-types that would even want to bother with that.

All of those options are a complete waste of time compared to what you'd need to do to get homebrew loaded on a GC (boot disc, SD Gecko, and a copy of Swiss?) or Wii (softmod installer) so you can run an updater from an SD card.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You have a misunderstanding of the current firmware update method for wiidual and gcdual.

3.0 needs to have the console dismantled and firmware flashed with a programmer, 6 wires a USB port would not help, but after this is done all future updates are placed on an sd card or cd and firmware is updated in homebrew software on the system with a few clicks of a controller. It's an amazing step forward
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GeneraLight wrote:Firmware updates by a drag-and-drop file is much easier and more convenient.
Over USB? Not reasonably possible with the current hardware.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

what you talkin bout willis??

You can drag and drop the newest firmware boot.dol onto a usb stick, plug it into a wii usb port and flash away via the homebrew channel!
(if you are on 3.0 or higher already)
Gara

Post by Gara »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Another issue that I'm not sure what to do. Previous WiiDual users have there colors swapped in their scart cables. Is it better to switch the firmware or have users swap their scart cables back to normal.
Definitely the firmware. Changing the cables would be a gigantic pain. Cable makers have their standards established. Having multiple cable variations floating around would haunt you for years with confused people.

How did that come to be anyway? Why establish the custom pinout for the wiidual?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Gara wrote:How did that come to be anyway? Why establish the custom pinout for the wiidual?
Its not custom, the Wii scart cables are like this.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Gara wrote:How did that come to be anyway? Why establish the custom pinout for the wiidual?
First its important to know that game console YPbPr signals are typically output over the same AV port pins as the RGB signals (Usually with a software or hardware signal to switch between the two output types, such as a 'mode' pin on the AV port) In other words the AV port pins perform a dual function (Or sometimes even triple functions!)

Unlike the PS2, PS3, OG Xbox and Xbox 360 which all have the pinouts between RGB and YPbPr 'color matching', e.g:-
R=Pr
G=Y
B=Pb

The Wii (and by extension the Wii U) uses a completely different pinout:-
R=Y
G=Pb
B=Pr

AFAIK the WiiDual firmware currently uses the more common 'color matching' arrangement above, but it also uses the Wii AV ports standard YPbPr pinout to maintain compatibility with standard/official Wii Component cables, which then makes it incompatible with the standard/official Wii SCART cable wiring and so it requires a custom SCART cable to match the different pinout in RGB mode.

I suppose one benefit of maintaining the 'color matching' arrangement is that the same Component or SCART cable could be used to carry either YPbPr or RGBS/RGsB when connected to an OSSC with just a simple menu toggle, since the OSSC also expects the 'color matching' arrangement.

I still think it would be nice to somehow have the option of using standard/official Wii SCART cables though :|
Last edited by Link83 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Gara wrote: How did that come to be anyway? Why establish the custom pinout for the wiidual?
Your answer is on the first page of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61787

"I should have read the multiout pinout better."

But its established now with cable makers, and most off the shelf ebay scart cables are crap anyway.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Syntax wrote: Your answer is on the first page of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61787

"I should have read the multiout pinout better."

But its established now with cable makers, and most off the shelf ebay scart cables are crap anyway.
How is that the answer? I still would not have swapped the colors in firmware, as I would not know how to handle the RGsB. I talked to unseen about this a long time ago. I'm not sure how he did it now.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Well you have confused the crap out of me, 1 post you ask the community if you should swap firmware, next minute your saying you wouldn't of done it anyway?

And now you've pulled me from the list of installers for quoting you?

I'm done hey.

I hope someone can explain all this a bit better because I'm confused as hell about the whole thing.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:I'm not sure how he did it now.
I didn't =)
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

In the beginning, I talked to unseen about swapping the colors in the firmware around the launch the WiiDual. The SYNC channel is required to go through the Green channel on the DAC. Both for RGsB and YPbPr

At the time he didn't know a good way to work with this. I made a couple of different versions where you could choose native SCART or Component cables via jumpers but that idea was confusing so I just made the decision to modify the scart heads.

And its been like this ever since. 3.0 came out and had the colors swapped, I have no idea why Unseen did this, but its cool that he was able to figure it out.
Unseen wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:I'm not sure how he did it now.
I didn't =)
looks like someone else has been adding code into the branch then, as this is the commit, https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/commit ... 85d8981bb7
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:looks like someone else has been adding code into the branch then
That was purely meant in the context of using RGsB with the Nintendo-style channel assignment. This is not possible with the existing hardware as the DAC can only generate the required sync offset on the channel that is used for Y in YPbPr mode and thus the color channel swap you linked to does not work with RGsB.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Unseen wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:looks like someone else has been adding code into the branch then
That was purely meant in the context of using RGsB with the Nintendo-style channel assignment. This is not possible with the existing hardware as the DAC can only generate the required sync offset on the channel that is used for Y in YPbPr mode and thus the color channel swap you linked to does not work with RGsB.

Ahh I see.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Unseen wrote:
Apologies if i'm mistaken, but can't the ADV7125 DAC add sync to any channel? At least thats what it looks like from the datasheet :?

...and citrus, I was just curious if it might be possible to fit a Wii AV plug onto the 'GCDual Wii Component Cable Adapter' design? Just thought perhaps that could be a potential solution for anyone who wanted to use a standard/official Wii SCART cables with a WiiDual.
Last edited by Link83 on Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.