New M2 Arcade shmup 'Battle Blade'

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
05pro

New M2 Arcade shmup 'Battle Blade'

Post by 05pro »

https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/12 ... 0339031040

4 images of new M2 developed STG for arcade shown at the JAEPO2020 show today. Planned for Autumn / Fall 2020. Vert with what looks like 4 x female characters

Battle Blade's currently a tentative title

sorry, don't know how to add pics here
Bassa-Bassa

Re: New M2 Arcade shmup 'Battle Blade'

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Well, you could just link to the source:

https://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20200207097/
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Man, I wonder if all these retro consoles and re-releases are making them enough bank to make shmups of all things. The more the merrier! I hope they get Aleste Branch out soon.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

oh man, this is exciting! looking forward to hearing more.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I was really hoping we'd never see a resurgence of arcades because all that means is these games will remain in Japan for all but the wealthy.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Interesting that the hardware it's running on is called the "ALL.Net P-ras MULTI Version 3" by Sega. And it has a few other games including Rolling Gunner.

Really tiny blurry screenshots! https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/12 ... 0339031040
blossom wrote:I was really hoping we'd never see a resurgence of arcades because all that means is these games will remain in Japan for all but the wealthy.
Come on, it'll be like the good ol' days. Brings back so many memories, lol.
blossom

Post by blossom »

What's so good about living in the middle of nowhere USA, not an arcade in sight, never a chance to play this game? Really thought home platforms were the future of shmups, not this region locking nonsense.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

blossom wrote:What's so good about living in the middle of nowhere USA, not an arcade in sight, never a chance to play this game? Really thought home platforms were the future of shmups, not this region locking nonsense.
Overdramatic much?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Whatever happened to "Ninja Soldier"?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Wouldn't worry too much about it...these are the arcade port guys. They'll probably have the game written so it's easy to port and will probably bring it onto PSN or whatever shortly after it's released.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CRP

Post by CRP »

My guess since its on segas system and also fantasy zone (presume m2 involved there) is due on it. That sega help fund it and will be at some point later on come out on atleast switch/ps.

Live clip of the game
https://twitter.com/hiro_maruyama/statu ... 4109650944

also called Senjin
https://twitter.com/arcadeotaku/status/ ... 8061851648

some write up about segas APM3 from jaepo
https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/02/07/jae ... ami-taito/

edit: also some post from GSK
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu
Last edited by CRP on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah I can't imagine this is going to be an arcade-only game for all that long, maybe a year tops. Nothin to worry about, frankly I'm actually glad to see some direct arcade game development going on.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Actual pixels instead of textured crappy models, interesting for sure
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Good news
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

spmbx wrote:Actual pixels instead of textured crappy models, interesting for sure
And spaceships. Looks like a real shoot'em up :P. I'm definitely curious.
FRO

Post by FRO »

This is good news. Hoping to see M2 really bring their A game with Aleste Branch, and likewise with this title.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

At first glance, looks just like old Dodonpachi games.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

el_rika wrote:At first glance, looks just like old Dodonpachi games.
That's not a bad thing, not one bit :D
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Spotted a couple high-quality screenshots on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BimboFortuna/status ... 6515299332

This has a really, really good look. I'm excited!
Special World

Post by Special World »

Wow, i am SUPER into how cute that character and enemy design is. Also, looks like it's 4-player? Unless you maybe change fighters midgame ("B fighter change"). Also, rank and different difficulties? Yaaaaaaas.

Really excited to death now, port plz thx luv <3

I scanned the German article--I don't think any new details are there except that the p-chips are used to power a burst attack, which gets stronger when you're near enemy fire. If anyone wants me to, I can ask my dad if he can translate it (though he might just direct me to German resources and say "translate it yourself, it'll be fun!")

Man, consider my excitement in DOUBLE BREAK mode now.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Took the liberty to skip the first paragraph as it just introduces M2 and the announcement of the new game itself.

"The vertically scrolling 2D-shooter is presented in a tate format, the player can choose between four ships - these aircraft are equipped with the ANSWERER SYSTEM and are reported to all play differently. The game will consist of five stages. A central element are the P-chips: on first glance they're evocative of the Aleste games by Compile, however, instead of strenthening your weapon, you use the energy gained by them to perform sweeping Burst-Out maneuvers. These are most effective when the player is surrounded by many enemy projectiles - a mechanism reported to be essential for success.

This sounds like tricky Bullet-Hell fare, but is said to appeal to shooter newcomers just as well. M2 promises four different gameplay modes picking up on beginners and going up all the way to experienced shooter professionals with ambitions for chasing high scores.

The game will be released this year's autumn on Sega's new platform with the not particularly straightforward title ALL.Net P-ras MULTI Version 3 (APM3), already we're looking forward to a later home console release!"
(source)
FRO

Post by FRO »

6t8k wrote:Took the liberty to skip the first paragraph as it just introduces M2 and the announcement of the new game itself.

"The vertically scrolling 2D-shooter is presented in a tate format, the player can choose between four ships - these aircraft are equipped with the ANSWERER SYSTEM and are reported to all play differently. The game will consist of five stages. A central element are the P-chips: on first glance they're evocative of the Aleste games by Compile, however, instead of strenthening your weapon, you use the energy gained by them to perform sweeping Burst-Out maneuvers. These are most effective when the player is surrounded by many enemy projectiles - a mechanism reported to be essential for success.

This sounds like tricky Bullet-Hell fare, but is said to appeal to shooter newcomers just as well. M2 promises four different gameplay modes picking up on beginners and going up all the way to experienced shooter professionals with ambitions for chasing high scores.

The game will be released this year's autumn on Sega's new platform with the not particularly straightforward title ALL.Net P-ras MULTI Version 3 (APM3), already we're looking forward to a later home console release!"
(source)
Getting a Devil Engine vibe from this bit. Some kind of bullet cancelling/deflecting mechanic, sort of like DE, or GigaWing, perhaps?
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

oh shit... it looks AWESOME :shock:

and holy fuck, the pixel art is so good! PIXEL ART NEVER DIES :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(as a pixel artist myself i find a lot of pride in every time that i don't see a pre-rendered/3D shmup lol)
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

schleichfahrt wrote:
el_rika wrote:At first glance, looks just like old Dodonpachi games.
That's not a bad thing, not one bit :D
Of course not :D
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

FRO wrote:Getting a Devil Engine vibe from this bit. Some kind of bullet cancelling/deflecting mechanic, sort of like DE, or GigaWing, perhaps?
Yeah, was reminded of that as well. Or Mars Matrix maybe.

e: looks like on some difficulty settings, the game will signify the spot on the screen edge where new enemies are about to enter, similar to how Gunhed/Blazing Lazers does it in Area 6.
Last edited by 6t8k on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The graphics alone make me want to buy this (which is strangely rare for shooters nowadays), I hope M2 bring their A-game to make it play like it should.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Now this is an interesting development. I love the M2 ports of older shmups. I feel like these guys know what they are doing when it comes to shmups.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

M2 is the 90s Treasure of old. At least for me. Whatever they touch turns to gold. Cant wait for this!!
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Really hope this gets a home port, it looks freaking awesome.