TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Babaracus

Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

Post by Babaracus »

Thank you very much for your tutorial.

At the moment I’m looking to buy me a Corio2. I found a offer for a Corio2 400 and for a Corio2 750 in the US which I want to purchase. But I live in Germany and can’t use the US PSU. According to the manual for example for a Corio2 750 you need to use a PSU which outputs 12V @ 1A max.

Have someone of you tried a different PSU with his/her Corio2? Is it possible to use a standard PSU and not the original PSU?

Thank you for your help :-)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Was having some odd issues with the C2-1100 but I'm gonna find some time to finish testing it ASAP. Worked fine with a programmer cable, I can say with near certainty that the model works fine. PLUS I can use a YPbPr to RGB transcoder for the output :3
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

Can the Corio2 also downscale to a different resolution, say 540p or 480p?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

oldgamer wrote:Can the Corio2 also downscale to a different resolution, say 540p or 480p?
I've managed to line 1/2 and line 1/4.

So, if you had a line doubed 480p as 960p input, you can get 480p. If you have linex4 240p as 960p, can get 240p.

If you know that pairs of lines are identical, the Corio2 can get you line 1/2--with some work.

Although, it's not as good of a solution as it was, because it's more expensive. I started out PM'ing and telling friends about the downscaling possiblities when the TVone machines were dirt cheap. After word got out, the prices went crazy. :( Oh well... that's the free market.
We apologise for the inconvenience
GeorgieBoysAXE

Post by GeorgieBoysAXE »

Is anyone familiar with configuring a TVOne 1T-C2-400 High Resolution Scaler For 240p settings that get the best picture on a Game Gear/Atari Lynx McWill 480p out without any artifacting/screen Tearing?

I’ve been running into this all week & I really don’t know what to do minimize/eliminate it.

https://ibb.co/PxvrC4G
orange808

Post by orange808 »

GeorgieBoysAXE wrote:Is anyone familiar with configuring a TVOne 1T-C2-400 High Resolution Scaler For 240p settings that get the best picture on a Game Gear/Atari Lynx McWill 480p out without any artifacting/screen Tearing?

I’ve been running into this all week & I really don’t know what to do minimize/eliminate it.

https://ibb.co/PxvrC4G
I remember that was a known issue with that kit on the VGA out. Are you sure it's the Corio2?
GeorgieBoysAXE

Post by GeorgieBoysAXE »

The line does double out vertically I believe, but it’s kept in scale when on a flat-screen. I’m trying to see if there’s a way to letterbox display the screen without using the full aspect of the 4:3 in hopes of giving all the lines room to show but still use as much as I can at the same time. I have an Atari Lynx on the way that I ALSO plan on running through this TVOneTask via switcher, though it shouldn’t be as complicated as the GG since it doesn’t have the awkward screen size.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Aelius wrote:I just signed up to ask if someone could test if 240p works over SDI, for the models that have SDI.
If my memory serves SDI is ONLY for 480i signals, the standard broadcast signal. You can't do anything 224/240p through it.

samspin wrote:I finally got my PVM up and running again. Try as I might with the C2-1350, I have not been able to get my PVM to sync with any of the 240p settings. I have tried using multiple cables (including different sync, as well as setting the unit to RGsB) and it still results in a horrible unsyncable picture.
My C2-2200 *does* output 240p with the telltale scanlines on my PVM perfectly fine (and is of course already listed as supported!)
I am therefore forced to conclude that the C2-1350 does NOT support outputting 240p. I am quite disappointed by this, however it is still useful to me since I can at least use it for 480i (by selecting the NTSC output 2), whereas the C2-2200 does not even list that as an option, it simply starts at "3 240P Master". In my experience 240p is good for the retro look and the scanlines really stand out, but for games that are text-heavy, 480i makes it easier to read. Each to their own I guess. I just thought I'd post my experiences anyway. It looks to me that units with composite and s-video outputs have the first two outputs (NTSC and PAL) as selectable options, but ones with just RGB/Component output do not. It also makes me suspect that any units that have RGB output AND composite/S-video output sockets will NOT output 240p. It would be interesting to see if anyone can confirm that.
Initial post says that another tried the 1350 and it wouldn't work for them either.

The 2200 could very well not allow those NTSC/480i signals because there's no CV or YC output. I know that people have mentioned that even on units which are working for 240p (over RGBS or YPbPr) will not output the custom 240p resolutions over CV or YC if it has those outputs. I honestly haven't looked into it more as I never use those non-RGB connection types.

Babaracus wrote: Have someone of you tried a different PSU with his/her Corio2? Is it possible to use a standard PSU and not the original PSU?
As long as you can find one with the correct output, and the correct polarity, you should be fine. I think somebody might have given the measurements on another post on this forum but I could't find it when I searched.

kitty666cats wrote:Was having some odd issues with the C2-1100 but I'm gonna find some time to finish testing it ASAP. Worked fine with a programmer cable, I can say with near certainty that the model works fine. PLUS I can use a YPbPr to RGB transcoder for the output :3
People have this listed as not working with 240p – it's also listed as a 'down converter' which is another flag. Let us know if you get it to work please.

GeorgieBoysAXE wrote:Is anyone familiar with configuring a TVOne 1T-C2-400 High Resolution Scaler For 240p settings that get the best picture on a Game Gear/Atari Lynx McWill 480p out without any artifacting/screen Tearing?
Page 4 has a couple posts about this. Also a link to how the old firmware for Lynx/McWill outputted non standard 480p:

https://www.retrorgb.com/lynx.html
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Corio 2 power supply specifications :

2.5mm 12v DC 1Amp (center positive)
GeorgieBoysAXE

Post by GeorgieBoysAXE »

So if I read right, I would need to connect my Game Gear/Atari Lynx into an OSSC configured with the appropriate settings to get 480X960, THEN plug the HDMI out into a VGA adapter that would then plug into the Corio 2 which will then output the right scaling without any artifacting/screen tearing?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If the Game Gear natively outputs 59.922743Hz refresh and that mod is performing some kind of frame rate conversion to get a flat 60Hz, you'll never get rid of screen tearing completely.

Add in the fact that the Corio 2 machines have no proper frame lock and you have two layers of "drifting" between the Game Gear and your display.

Doesn't sound like something an external processor can remedy.
3style

Post by 3style »

wrong post
Last edited by 3style on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3style

Post by 3style »

Dochartaigh wrote:
hyrulebr wrote:Just bought a C2-750 from Ebay (the seller accepted my offer $ 49.99 plus shipping) but just the body (tested working condition) without power adapter...

Any recomendation for a replacement? I saw online 12V @1A center positive. Just need to figure out the tip (connector).
Unfortunately I don't know what kind/size it uses - maybe it's in the manual? If not I can measure with my digital calipers but that's usually a flawed way to find that info out - I would simply write TVOne - their customer service has been top notch for me. I do know some of my units came with Extron power supplies so that may be another option (and may very well be a super common type you can pickup for cheap).

JigsawMan wrote:The 2255A has a LAN port and the Corio2 software works just fine on Win10.

I can confirm that the TVOne C2-2355A downscales just fine to 240p.
Great to confirm another unit(s?) are working! Do you have the 2255A? or 2355A (or both - just want to add it to the list as 'confirmed working')?

JigsawMan wrote:I'm now looking for a cable to connect the DVI-I to RGB Scart for my consumer TV (with <1v csync). Not having much joy with that at the moment.
Basically you can use a readily available SCART to BNC cable, then use a DVI to BNC dongle to connect the two. When I have to go from my Extron Crosspoint (which has BNC outputs only) to something which has SCART (like my Shinybow SB-2840 RGBS>YPbPr converter, or OSSC or Framemeister XRGB-mini), I use one of these Wookieewin (from eBay) cables I modified - retrogamingcables.co.uk makes them too. This is what I use:

Now people normally use these to go from their RGBS consoles with SCART plugs to the BNC's on the back of a Sony BVM or PVM. Those normally have a FEMALE SCART socket, so I installed a Male SCART socket instead, and switched the pins around as SCART switches a couple pins depending on which direction it's running. Wookieewin on eBay can make one exactly like this if you message him, and maybe retrogamingcables.co.uk makes one now as well.

For consumer devices which don't like TTL level sync I would install a resistor on the sync pin of the SCART to drop it down to less than 1Vp-p. I want to say it's 470Ω but please double-check that.

So you can see in my pic that I don't have a BNC to DVI dongle, so I used a VGA to BNC, then added a VGA to DVI on the end of that. Most all Corio2's I've seen have VGA output as well so you might be able to skip that and go straight into VGA.
Thanks for all the info on this topic.

I have purchased a C2 2205 recently and it works great in 240p. Most people here are using a pvm with bnc inputs I believe, but I have used a crt television (B&O mx4200) with rgb scart inputs. This works great with this vga to scart adapter (UMSA) from arcadeforge:

http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA:::15.html

DVI OUT > DVI-I to VGA > UMSA > SCART IN
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

3style wrote: I have purchased a C2 2205 recently and it works great in 240p. Most people here are using a pvm with bnc inputs I believe, but I have used a crt television (B&O mx4200) with rgb scart inputs. This works great with this vga to scart adapter (UMSA) from arcadeforge:

That looks cool, but you really don't need something that has the circuit to merge the sync like that has inside it. The Corio2 can merge the sync on the H and V lines and output straight RGBS, so you can just use a regular cable, no circuit chips needed (although that might be easier than my conglomeration of what I had on hand, i.e. putting a couple cables/adapters/dongles together lol ;)
3style

Post by 3style »

Dochartaigh wrote:
3style wrote: I have purchased a C2 2205 recently and it works great in 240p. Most people here are using a pvm with bnc inputs I believe, but I have used a crt television (B&O mx4200) with rgb scart inputs. This works great with this vga to scart adapter (UMSA) from arcadeforge:

That looks cool, but you really don't need something that has the circuit to merge the sync like that has inside it. The Corio2 can merge the sync on the H and V lines and output straight RGBS, so you can just use a regular cable, no circuit chips needed (although that might be easier than my conglomeration of what I had on hand, i.e. putting a couple cables/adapters/dongles together lol ;)
Yes exactly :)

Maybe this cable also works (designed for the Analogue DAC to scart), although its a bit more expensive than the UMSA:

https://retro-access.com/collections/an ... cart-cable
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

My friend is fixing the stupid busted menu button on my 1100, should have it by this weekend. I ALSO am getting a Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to dsub RGBS/RGBHV in the mail today, if I have issues with the YPbPr out I am going to try this device, too. It's only a color space transcoder so I very highly doubt it would make a difference, but I will let you guys know ASAP so we can close the book once & for all on the 1100 :)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Welp, I managed to get - this - outta the C2-1100, but had to do it via manual adjustments... couldn't get those premade 240p settings to show up in the list of output options?

I'm not an expert and don't know if this is ~ rEaL 240p ~, and unfortunately I'm not sure that my phone camera has a 1/30 setting. It was very clearly 480i, and then in the midst of making some small adjustments to more closely match the 'MASTER 240p' setting from that list most of you probably use, the scanlines popped up out of nowhere.

Pretty neat, although over the course of my friend fixing the damn broken menu knob-button, rama had figured out how to make the GBS8200 downscale! I think I will probably sell this thing soon, as it can only output YPbPr...

EDIT:
Yeah, it was most definitely 480i as there was still some flickering 'behind' the lines... pretty sure this model is indeed a no-go, although I'd still like to figure out how to get it to let me try the tried n true 240p settings. They were definitely on the device, but not accessible as an output option (though they appeared as an option for resolutions I could make adjustments to)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I just remembered that I didn't test the tried-'n-true 240p presets on my 15kHz displays with the C2-1100 still plugged in to my computer via RS232>USB, so I wouldn't say I'm ready to close the book on this model completely. But I can say that I'm not too confident about that making much of a difference! :P
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a corio c2-400 device to downscale xbox360 to 240p
I am using the xml with 240p master someone posted here and have the xbox display settings set to 640x480 standard (big thanks for this it helped to set this device up!)
Although it works, i cannot get rid of what i like to describe as black lines moving horizontally when moving in a game, like when there is something in the gamescreen that moves up and down then these movement will be accompanied with horizontal black lines following that movement. I made a video of it and attached it here.

PS: The dreamcast, using the exact same setting on the corio (240p MASTER) does not have this problem(!). This is what really confuses me too as i thought dreamcast VGA was 480p just like xbox360 in 640x480 standard but still it seems to be different somehow and i cannot wrap my head around it.
I also noticed that the effect is not there when i set the aspect to "letterbox" but yeah massive black bars left and right offcourse so not usable
I am connecting the XBOX360 with the xbox360 vga cable to corio and from corio i use UMSA vga to scart in of my Sony CRT TV.

I hope someone here can help me out!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15fmIXI ... sp=sharing
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

edomatic wrote:Although it works, i cannot get rid of what i like to describe as black lines moving horizontally when moving in a game, like when there is something in the gamescreen that moves up and down then these movement will be accompanied with horizontal black lines following that movement. I made a video of it and attached it here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15fmIXI ... sp=sharing
I know it's hard to film CRT's, but for all my might I can't see anything wrong with that video you posted....

Also mess with settings on the Xbox 360 - see if there's a DVI option instead of HDMI (or something like that...might be thinking of the Xbox One options), or the color space you can change (honestly I forget what options there are and I'm not by my 360 right now). I assume you're using a Xbox 360 VGA cable?
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Hi Dochartaigh

Thanks for your reply i appreciate all help i can get with this
Yes i am using the vga xbox360 cable via usma vga to scart straight into my sony crt tv
On The video i posted you see a slinging vine on the left of screen,when you watch closely,you see a black horizontal bar of lines following that movement
When gaming, this effect is constantly seen all over the screen manifesting like horizontal scrolling black lines ( i could make another video showing this better if you like)
There is no dvi out on my corio c2-400,only vga in and vga out

The thing that baffles me is that the dreamcast,connected the same way via dreamcast vga cable direct into corio device does not have this problem when using the 240p master setting from the xml that was supplied here
So, there seems to be something different with the xbox360 vga output, maybe if you have a working 240p resolution xbox360 preset you can post yours and then i can try to see if that solves my issue
For shmups like the cave shooters ,which i play tate on another (identical) sony crt, this issue is way less apparent but i can see it there too although it does not bother me as much as it does for horizontal games
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

edomatic wrote: Yes i am using the vga xbox360 cable via usma vga to scart straight into my sony crt tv
edomatic wrote: The thing that baffles me is that the dreamcast,connected the same way via dreamcast vga cable direct into corio device does not have this problem when using the 240p master setting from the xml that was supplied here
So, there seems to be something different with the xbox360 vga output, maybe if you have a working 240p resolution xbox360 preset you can post yours and then i can try to see if that solves my issue
For shmups like the cave shooters ,which i play tate on another (identical) sony crt, this issue is way less apparent but i can see it there too although it does not bother me as much as it does for horizontal games
I made that file for the 240p presets and it works on my Xbox 360 via VGA cable, and the same Xbox 360 I also use via HDMI to my flatscreen but also routes to a Portta hdmi to vga converter box for CRT use (both ways run directly into the Corio2, which outputs RGBS to my PVM or BVM's).

Why are you using a USMA VGA to SCART? Is your TV a consumer type which only has SCART inputs? If everything is working correctly I would put the blame on the USMA - are you able to test another set which can take RGBS via BNC or YPbPr/Component via RCA straight from the Corio2? With a simple cable the C2-400 can output both of those signal types and it will tell you if the USMA is doing something funky.

Did you also see that output options the 360 has?
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Why are you using a UMSA VGA to SCART? Is your TV a consumer type which only has SCART inputs?
yes correct and yes its a sony consumer CRT TV 25"

If everything is working correctly I would put the blame on the UMSA - are you able to test another set which can take RGBS via BNC or YPbPr/Component via RCA straight from the Corio2?

-yes i have a Sony BVM (why are you not using that you say?? well, the sony's TV screen is bigger :-)
i tested via a high quality scart to BNC (RGBS) cable to the BVM (using the UMSA) but to my suprise,.it has the same issue for the xbox360

With a simple cable the C2-400 can output both of those signal types and it will tell you if the UMSA is doing something funky.
-I made a vga to scart cable myself to rule out the UMSA as the problem and again with that cable the same effect occurs.
I also have a XBOX360 to SCART cable (original xbox cable) and using that on my 25" i do not have the problem but off course its 480i now, and no 240p

Did you also see that output options the 360 has?
the only output options i found in the xbox360 are the console settings for display and those are set to 640x480 / Normal / Standard (tried the other settings like extended to but to no avail)

When i set the corioC2-400 aspect to letterbox, then the issue is not present..wierd...buth its interesting
What i do not understand is that dreamcast console hooked up the same way, does not have this issue, there are both outputting 480p using the dreamcast VGA and XBOX360 VGA cable right? So strange..

Tonight when i get back from work, i will post a better video of the issue i am having
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

edomatic wrote: What i do not understand is that dreamcast console hooked up the same way, does not have this issue, there are both outputting 480p using the dreamcast VGA and XBOX360 VGA cable right? So strange..

Tonight when i get back from work, i will post a better video of the issue i am having
640x480 PC? resolution from the 360 is not the same that the DC and other 480p consoles put out I believe. One is a PC computer spec and the other is a EDTV 480p standard (which can output things like 702 to 720+ pixels wide but only around 640 is displayed...this is territory I'm not too good with others can probably describe it more accurately as I probably butchered that explanation).
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

i made another video of the issue:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k9j7N ... V_f7utLfdJ

The example is from "Sonic 3D", in the video i say "vertical lines movement but i meant horizontal, it is much more apparent here.
So again this is from xbox360 VGA out into corioC2-400, then from corio to sony TV via vga to scart.
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

This morning before leaving to work, i though i'd try and use a HDMI to VGA cable i still had laying around (actually woke up with the idea!) ,true i have a lot of stuff laying around but that is because i am 47 now and things do tend to stack up around me :D

Anyways, the HDMI to VGA straight into Corio going to the vga to scart cable out to the Sony TV still produces the same effect with the horizontal lines when moving around in the game...damn.. :roll:

What also still confuses me is the aspect ratio settings in the corio, i have it on "FILL" now, as all the rest like letterbox and pillarbox does not allow for full screen,on pillarbox as i said, the issue does not happen doh

I noticed that when using the xbox360 hdmi to vga cable, the corio detects the source as 1024x768, which is strange as i had set the console output to 640x480, i would have expected that the console would force it's game-output to whatever i configure as the console's display setting, but it seems to not do that

Further testing needed i guess, but it might truely help if someone has a working setup with xbox360 parameters for me to test with.
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

can someone tell me what the display settings are like on his xbox360 when connected to Corio C2-400 please?

if possible make note of any settings you changed in the Corio device to get the screen on your CRT TV to output correctly

At the moment my xbox360 console display settings are set to 640x480 standard
I wish there was a setting in the console that always forces the game output to 480p, but i did not see that anywhere
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

regarding your Sonic video from above: those horizontal bars you mention are limited to the particular background areas, right? It's possible that these are scaling artefacts caused by the down scaling of the brick textures on those walls.

360: I've connected my 360 to dozens of 480p displays or devices. Had it running on a 480p plasma for nearly a decade. Never a single problem with the hardware or the games. In other words: if you set the console to 480p, then everything should get output at this resolution. The other question is, will your games use the full 640x480 resolution? Only games that support 4:3 will do so. The rest will be displayed letterboxed with bars on top and bottom.
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Hi Fudoh,

Thanks for your reply
Can i ask how you connect your corio device to your TV?

i mean the exact cable you use to connect the VGA out from the corio to a consumer TV.

I tried this morning using the PS4 (tried with PS4 video-output setting 720p) but again horizontal lines, the only time games that have the issue can be fixed is when i use letterbox/pillarbox for aspect ratio, but then off course aspect is not correctly displayed, same for the xbox360
edomatic

Post by edomatic »

Still cannot figure this out, another easy way would be if someone can test sonic 3D or maybe doom 2006 via consumer tv scart to see if the artifacts ( horizontal black moving lines) also occur with the corio c2-400

I am thinking perhaps a extron rgb 203rxi may clean it up? Not sure about that but i tried so much by now i am running out of ideas to try to fix this issue..

Street fighter 4 is also such a game, on the character select screen of this game it is very apparent when going from a character on line one to line two and back...its all over the place..

I am using the latest firmware for the c2-400 version 6.5