The Shmups Discord Server

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Square_Air

Re: The Shmups Discord Server

Post by Square_Air »

MathU wrote:There is no excuse to subject yourself to commercial surveillance anymore except peer pressure. We can rise above our dependency on untrustworthy third parties to provide the services that Discord provides, all it takes is a bit of courage. We have had it for decades with IRC and we can have it again now with VoIP-enabled software.
I like to imagine that MathU is a fancy globetrotting assassin that can never reveal his true identity, but he likes to play shmups on the go. Don't let them catch you chief, good luck.
Bananamatic wrote:discord is filth, you can't even check game guides anymore without someone telling you JOIN THE DISCORD and then you have to wade through a sewer of anime avatars and HEY YOU CAN DONATE IF YOU WANT
I just wanted to check basic shit that would take 2 lines of text, now you can't do that anymore without people trying to make money off you while you desperately search the horribly disorganized info channels

just host the shit online like back in the day, maybe on gamefaqs in a text file
I'm glad that you still drop by here to vent your neurotic sexual frustrations even though you have better things to do. It's honestly the nectar that keeps me going.

Have you got winter tires for your bike, or are you waiting until spring? I have no choice but to wait because my foot is fractured, oh well. :(
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

clearly you never played a fighting game, tried to get basic info, nothing on srk or anywhere these days, told to join the discord
play ffxiv, ask for basic info like materia melds, get told to join the discord
want it up to date? stay in the discord...and perhaps donate?
the hilarious part is that a discord server costs nothing unlike irc server costs back in the day

nearly everything online is a money making scheme these days (including the shmup discord) and it should be rejected and met with open hostility, just like door-to-door salesmen
Square_Air wrote:Have you got winter tires for your bike, or are you waiting until spring? I have no choice but to wait because my foot is fractured, oh well. :(
jumping rope is superior cardio
Square_Air wrote:I'm glad that you still drop by here to vent your neurotic sexual frustrations
I have no idea how you connect having an issue with a bad trend and sexual frustration aside from having a weird personal experience
the more frightening part is implying that having sex makes you abandon your principles which is just sad
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Bananamatic wrote:jumping rope is superior cardio
I dunno dude, I think CLP may be on to something with juggling.

I mean, damn. Look at that boi go.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
KAI

Post by KAI »

wtf
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

if only he could juggle his accounts as well as he does irl
Bananamatic wrote:so you're basically a merchant profiting from all this
why should I trust someone who's trying to sell me shit?
Nobody genuinely believes this is what I'm doing w/ twitter blogging. Most news sees zero profit, it's to raise awareness for the genre. If someone emails me press kits or DMs me stuff, I just schedule or tweet it and go about my day. It's not my job, it's just a hobby, but I'm not nobody either, and there's no point in pretending like I am. I might get a game key or a couple of dollars every few months from affiliate links, that's about it.
Bananamatic wrote:discord is filth, you can't even check game guides anymore without someone telling you JOIN THE DISCORD and then you have to wade through a sewer of anime avatars and HEY YOU CAN DONATE IF YOU WANT
I just wanted to check basic shit that would take 2 lines of text, now you can't do that anymore without people trying to make money off you while you desperately search the horribly disorganized info channels

just host the shit online like back in the day, maybe on gamefaqs in a text file
This is just you not liking Discord. Discord is just the thing people are using these days over IRC. You're not obligated to use it, and it's a chat service, not a game guide repository. Those reviews on Gamefaqs I made as a teenager I can't even edit any more, even if I wanted to. The comparison to GameFAQs is actually insane because nobody's ever used IRC for guides before either. Gamefaqs is also 20+ years old, owned by CBS Interactive which has 2,000 employees and has a ton of sponsors/partners. It's a little different.
Bananamatic wrote:nearly everything online is a money making scheme these days (including the shmup discord) and it should be rejected and met with open hostility, just like door-to-door salesmen
Having a $1 Patreon, which people asked for, with no paywalled content, is not a "money making scheme", but ok go off.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

hey, i think you're doing great, and the only reason i haven't joined is because i'm kind of anxious about joining big servers (had several bad experiences in others).

just keep doing your thing, try not to get others get to you k?
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Bananamatic wrote:everything
You're being incredibly ridiculous. Firstly, Elixir doesn't even have that many supporters on patreon.. so he's not making huge amounts off it. Running the twitter, covering news... patreon isn't mandatory, it's entirely optional. It's like having a paypal donate button.

Secondly, yes - DO join the discord. Right now we got 4 of us hanging out in voice watching and talking about Ketsui. Talking to people is part of video game culture.

I don't know what's happened with you BNM but you used to be kinda chill.
Bananamatic wrote:clearly you never played a fighting game
Funny, that's what I thought when you played me on SF4... I could teach you, but you'd have to join my discord voice chat. :3
Bananamatic wrote:just host the shit online like back in the day, maybe on gamefaqs in a text file
Back in the day, we didn't have t'internets and had to hang out with our friends, or read PAYWALLED VIDEO GAME MAGAZINES

I just gotta say this dude, this kinda behaviour and talking is the stuff that gets you ganged up on at offline events. You're the guy people wanna see get 5-0'd and do the walk of shame out the front door. Cut it out man... you're gonna lead yourself somewhere real bad :-/
facebook: Facebook
Special World

Post by Special World »

I would certainly welcome you, Queen Charlene. You're one of my favorite posters! But your discretion is the best discretion. Sorry that people suck!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Bananaman does have a point in that asking something on Discord can lead to, depending on the hour, either dead silence and question getting buried under other talk, or an unfollowable mess when several people try to voice their opinion at the same time. Discord is just a slightly more advanced chat service and should be treated as such, nothing more and nothing less. Useful information is indeed best presented in a convenient form on a dedicated site. Forums work for that pretty well, with an added benefit of allowing more organized discussions. Discord's functionality follows completely different goals and priorities from the core and thus can never replace them in that role, unlike what some Discord evangelists would claim. (Not meaning Elixir here, but I've seen some upstarts on his server do just that.)
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

Special World wrote:I would certainly welcome you, Queen Charlene. You're one of my favorite posters! But your discretion is the best discretion. Sorry that people suck!
i really appreciate that, maybe i'll come by one of these days. :D
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

First, there was the IRC mafia. Then the Discord mafia pushed them out of town. It's all a racket, I tells ya.
DEL

Post by DEL »

I joined but the whole format is a little too 'throwaway' for me. Comments going off into the ether. Nevertheless I'm sure its fine for most people.
The name DISCORD and its basic meaning:

discord
noun
noun: discord
/ˈdɪskɔːd/

disagreement between people.
"a prosperous family who showed no signs of discord"
h
Similar:
strife
conflict
friction
hostility
disagreement
lack of agreement
dissension
dispute
difference of opinion
discordance
disunity
division
incompatibility
variance
antagonism
antipathy
enmity
opposition
bad feeling
ill feeling
bad blood
argument
quarrelling
squabbling
bickering
wrangling
feuding
contention
clashing
falling-out
war
vendetta
jar
disaccord
h
Opposite:
agreement
accord
harmony
lack of agreement or harmony between things.
"the discord between indigenous and Western cultures"
Music
lack of harmony between notes sounding together.
"the music faded in discord"
h
Similar:
dissonance
discordance
lack of harmony
disharmony
cacophony
jarring
jangling
h
Opposite:
harmony
a chord which (in conventional harmonic terms) is regarded as unpleasing or requiring resolution by another.
plural noun: discords
any interval except unison, an octave, a perfect fifth or fourth, a major or minor third and sixth, or their octaves.
a single note dissonant with another.

verbarchaic
verb: discord; 3rd person present: discords; past tense: discorded; past participle: discorded; gerund or present participle: discording
/dɪsˈkɔːd/

(of people) disagree.
^Funny that :? When its supposed to be the exact opposite of the meaning.
(Not bashing at all, just calling out the oddity of the name).
clippa

Post by clippa »

Oh yeah, I just assumed it was a play on "discourse", but of course discord is already a thing, like you say.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Just wanted to drop by as the server's changed quite dramatically over the last year. Notably:

- Various CAVE staff now manage their own category, including channels for their games
- We now have an active doujin & indie channel, a helpdesk channel for specific questions which would otherwise be lost in #shmups, and a beginner channel for people new to certain games or the genre in general
- Roles can now be manually assigned (includes Spanish, Vibe, and 48 different color roles)
- A modmail system, which is in place for anyone who has any suggestions or feedback, which the mod team deals with (I don't dish out bans or whatever, I leave it up to my mod team's jurisdiction)
- Modmail is also used to request roles for devs, publishers, composers, artists, etc which also grants devs access to #shmup-promote
- We also have German and Spanish language channels, the Spanish community in particular is very active
- Channels for uploading and sharing replays, as well as a channel for posting achievements
- probably other stuff I'm forgetting

https://discord.gg/BSVRxk3
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a forum for niche game enthusiasts would attract internet mentals. We just need to Steam guy to drop into this thread and we'll have the full set.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

davyK wrote:Maybe it's because I'm old but discord is a bloody awful user experience. Even getting an account claimed is a rigmarole.

It looks awful and is counter intuitive. I have an account because the tetris forums and n64 forums have moved there but I don't find it an attractive place to go for info.

Probably just me. :(
Oh no, not at all, two people at least, though I'm a type to sometimes put it more roughly: it's basically a shithole this discord, as far as finding any valuable information goes. Interface and overall functionality buttbroken, doesn't get any worse for a forum for any practical purpose.

This isn't just to rant, please don't be offended, rather I'll take the opportunity to point people that discord for gaming is a really bad move. No one will ever find any gameplay related info or any technical info, will just run away halfway digging through garbage or people keep asking the same questions over and over again.

I have no idea what the hell made people use it, I'll never figure it out. Because free? Not an argument at all for me, when it pooped out and what the state of www was at that time.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I started peeking back in the server/on this board a couple months ago after some shooting game burnout and did notice some of the discord changes. I was curious if it was actually CAVE managing those channels which is pretty rad.

on a side note I love discord and it's currently in a sweet spot that I feel will eventually end. it's free and on the user end it has unlimited hosting bandwidth. I used to use a personal slack with my s/o but even slack requires you to pay to host data beyond a certain time frame. We post our pictures/recipes/travel itineraries in different channels which is much better and organized than texting. I can't imagine how many years we have left before discord introduces pay models.

I will also admit it's not as intuitive as referring to guides on here/searching for information but that continues to give these forums a real purpose, and discord still great for connecting with people in the community and a much better option than using irc + roger wilco like back in the old quake days.
a creature... half solid half gas