Koryuu (Composite & S-Video to YPbPr Transcoder) Coming 2020

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: Koryuu (Composite & S-Video to YPbPr Transcoder) Coming

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Got my unit today. Quality is fine.

Finally was able to answer my own question about output sync without an input. And it does :(

And the default input is composite. So it's nearly as fiddly as the retrotink 2x. But doesn't need extra equipment to go back to analog.

Still waiting for a quality transcoder that I can default to svideo input and doesn't output sync if there's no input sync. :|
megari

Post by megari »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Got my unit today. Quality is fine.

Finally was able to answer my own question about output sync without an input. And it does :(

And the default input is composite. So it's nearly as fiddly as the retrotink 2x. But doesn't need extra equipment to go back to analog.

Still waiting for a quality transcoder that I can default to svideo input and doesn't output sync if there's no input sync. :|
The firmware can be updated, and the behavior you desire can easily be implemented. If you're willing to give it a try, please send me a message. All that is required is a suitable programmer.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

megari wrote:

The firmware can be updated, and the behavior you desire can easily be implemented. If you're willing to give it a try, please send me a message. All that is required is a suitable programmer.
:D
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Can it output RGsB?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Lawfer wrote:Can it output RGsB?
It should, every CVBS/S-Vid to YPbPr I've ever seen lets you do that (or, at least the transcoders with no scaling)
megari

Post by megari »

Technically, yes. This requires a small modification to the firmware, though. For instance, the Option button could be repurposed to switch between YPbPr and RGsB.

The firmware is modifiable and can be updated quite easily with an AVR ISP programmer. The required information will be provided soon, but requires some time (which I have very little of nowadays) to prepare. Please be patient and stay tuned. :)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:

I'm also looking for this option, I have a similar setup to Dirk. Can you keep us updated in the thread instead of pm?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

megari wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:So anybody take an inventory of the ICs on this thing yet? A high-res camera pic or flatbed scanner scan of board would be nice.
Heh, let me save you some trouble - it's not a secret that the device uses ubiquitous off-the-shelf parts. :D

The video processing is performed by two ICs: the ADV7280A (ADC) and the ADV7391 (DAC). The rest is just to support these two.

I'm on my mobile at the moment, so I'll just end this post by saying that the firmware source code and sufficient technical documentation for further development by community members will be provided soon(tm).
The ADV7280A + ADV7391 combo is somewhat less interesting as some of us thought the box was truly analog and built around a legacy analog video processor IC, e.g. TDA8376, that somebody found a big NOS stash of in like Russia or something. Going through the ADC->DAC cycle on a modern ADC front-end with fixed line sample rate is a bit less exciting. Given the ADV7280A, in some ways it's like a RetroTINK-2X in pass-through mode with analog outputs instead of HDMI.

Speaking of the ADV7xxx family of chips, I'd love to see somebody use something like the ADV7842 with working 10/12-bit deep color, configurable upper + lower IRE levels, native YUV color space processing, HDMI/SDI output, and enough SDRAM installed to enable both the full-frame TBC and 3D comb filter (2D comb and line TBC w/o external SDRAM). The non-gaming video guys (read: VHS, 8mm, LaserDisc, etc) have been begging for such a box for many years and have been resorting to buying increasingly rare and expensive legacy DVD recorders and external TBC boxes just for their pass-through full-frame TBC and 3D comb filter functionality. The VideoHelp forum would collectively cream their pants over such a box.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

FWIW, virtually all decent quality late model CRTs perform color decoding in the digital domain, and is hence, functionally and qualitatively identically to the ADV7280 + DAC. Any digital based solution is going to blow away a crappy NOS decoder, which at most, is using some notch filter.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But I guess using an A/D conversion with fixed sample rate on the Koryuu means that the optimal timings on the OSSC for horizontal sampling can't be used right? Just the generic modes. Probably no big deal for composite, but it might hurt the possibilites for achieving the best s-video picture, wouldn't it ?

@orange808: did you try to dial in the OSSC's horizontal sampling for your N64 connected through s-video?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh wrote:But I guess using an A/D conversion with fixed sample rate on the Koryuu means that the optimal timings on the OSSC for horizontal sampling can't be used right? Just the generic modes. Probably no big deal for composite, but it might hurt the possibilites for achieving the best s-video picture, wouldn't it ?

@orange808: did you try to dial in the OSSC's horizontal sampling for your N64 connected through s-video?
I tried optimal sampling last night with a couple systems and it didn't do much.

I tried it with NES (composite) and SNES (svideo and composite). The 512x240 setting looked the clearest of the custom options, but generic looked best.

Frankly, I welcome a little blurriness on the N64, so I didn't bother testing any optimal timings.

I'll post some screengrabs and some follow up next week with the Dreamcast.

I usually use the generic sampling, so my first impressions were based on that (and plugging/unplugging a stack of machines on the floor). I was initially most concerned with how the comb filter stacked up to my other "zero lag" options.
Last edited by orange808 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We apologise for the inconvenience
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Fudoh wrote:But I guess using an A/D conversion with fixed sample rate on the Koryuu means that the optimal timings on the OSSC for horizontal sampling can't be used right? Just the generic modes.
Right. That's the difference between transcoding color in digital and then shooting it out to a CRT vs then sending it to a scaler to be sampled digitally again
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Fudoh wrote:But I guess using an A/D conversion with fixed sample rate on the Koryuu means that the optimal timings on the OSSC for horizontal sampling can't be used right? Just the generic modes.
Right. That's the difference between transcoding color in digital and then shooting it out to a CRT vs then sending it to a scaler to be sampled digitally again
If the Koryuu is capable of adjusting its sampling parameters in the firmware, it might be possible to link it up with the OSSC Pro via the extension port (or to the original via serial via JTAG) so that it can be semi-remote-controlled.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

megari wrote:
Technically, yes. This requires a small modification to the firmware, though. For instance, the Option button could be repurposed to switch between YPbPr and RGsB.

The firmware is modifiable and can be updated quite easily with an AVR ISP programmer. The required information will be provided soon, but requires some time (which I have very little of nowadays) to prepare. Please be patient and stay tuned. :)
I'd also be interested in RGsB output (by default) whenever there's time to make that happen.

maxtherabbit wrote:
Less than ideal for sure.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The OSSC Pro would be best with it's own daughter board to handle this task.

In theory, the OSSC Pro could also implement it's own comb filter processing, mosquito noise reduction, and deinterlacing. All of that could be performed on a single machine that shares a unified frame buffer, so it would be more efficient than my current chain of machines. The OSSC Pro could also automatically add the proper audio delay--with no guesswork.

I agree with Fudoh that the sampling could upset some users with svideo.

About laserdisks:
The composite comb filter in the Koryuu is already an absolute deal breaker for home theatre use. It's not good for that, so the sampling options wouldn't do much for LD fans. If we ignore latency (something I would never do), the Koryuu comb filter isn't good.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Fudoh wrote:But I guess using an A/D conversion with fixed sample rate on the Koryuu means that the optimal timings on the OSSC for horizontal sampling can't be used right? Just the generic modes. Probably no big deal for composite, but it might hurt the possibilites for achieving the best s-video picture, wouldn't it ?

For S-video, I think ideal would be direct sampling of Y and C and perform the IQ coherent demodulation on the FPGA. In theory this can be done on the current OSSC if the FPGA is fast enough and the video ADC is capable of digitizing the colorburst.
megari

Post by megari »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
megari wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:So anybody take an inventory of the ICs on this thing yet? A high-res camera pic or flatbed scanner scan of board would be nice.
Heh, let me save you some trouble - it's not a secret that the device uses ubiquitous off-the-shelf parts. :D

The video processing is performed by two ICs: the ADV7280A (ADC) and the ADV7391 (DAC). The rest is just to support these two.

I'm on my mobile at the moment, so I'll just end this post by saying that the firmware source code and sufficient technical documentation for further development by community members will be provided soon(tm).
The ADV7280A + ADV7391 combo is somewhat less interesting as some of us thought the box was truly analog and built around a legacy analog video processor IC, e.g. TDA8376, that somebody found a big NOS stash of in like Russia or something. Going through the ADC->DAC cycle on a modern ADC front-end with fixed line sample rate is a bit less exciting. Given the ADV7280A, in some ways it's like a RetroTINK-2X in pass-through mode with analog outputs instead of HDMI.

Speaking of the ADV7xxx family of chips, I'd love to see somebody use something like the ADV7842 with working 10/12-bit deep color, configurable upper + lower IRE levels, native YUV color space processing, HDMI/SDI output, and enough SDRAM installed to enable both the full-frame TBC and 3D comb filter (2D comb and line TBC w/o external SDRAM). The non-gaming video guys (read: VHS, 8mm, LaserDisc, etc) have been begging for such a box for many years and have been resorting to buying increasingly rare and expensive legacy DVD recorders and external TBC boxes just for their pass-through full-frame TBC and 3D comb filter functionality. The VideoHelp forum would collectively cream their pants over such a box.
Yes, using the ADI chips was a painful (while practical) compromise. Not having much control over sampling is one of the biggest pain points for myself, but there seem to be no solutions that are anywhere near perfect when considering all the features the OSSC has that one would hope to have in this sort of transcoder as well. Discussions with marqs only made this more evident, as he had done quite a bit of research on purely analog transcoding solutions. The small number of ICs that would have been the most suitable were effectively all EoL, and there was no guarantee of being able to source sufficient amounts from used video equipment to build any significant number of the resulting device.

The story of the Koryuu started when I wanted to get a proper picture out of a C64 with OSSC, so I decided to make do with what was available (and learn a lot while doing it), and the result turned out to be surprisingly good despite the severe lack of configurability in aspects many retro game/computer enthusiasts would prefer to be able to control for an optimal picture. I hope this little project ends up being a net positive for the community despite its limitations.
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:

I'm also looking for this option, I have a similar setup to Dirk. Can you keep us updated in the thread instead of pm?
Sure. I'll try to give you all an update during the weekend (unless the flu overwhelms me).
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

megari wrote:Yes, using the ADI chips was a painful (while practical) compromise. Not having much control over sampling is one of the biggest pain points for myself, but there seem to be no solutions that are anywhere near perfect when considering all the features the OSSC has that one would hope to have in this sort of transcoder as well. Discussions with marqs only made this more evident, as he had done quite a bit of research on purely analog transcoding solutions. The small number of ICs that would have been the most suitable were effectively all EoL, and there was no guarantee of being able to source sufficient amounts from used video equipment to build any significant number of the resulting device.

The story of the Koryuu started when I wanted to get a proper picture out of a C64 with OSSC, so I decided to make do with what was available (and learn a lot while doing it), and the result turned out to be surprisingly good despite the severe lack of configurability in aspects many retro game/computer enthusiasts would prefer to be able to control for an optimal picture. I hope this little project ends up being a net positive for the community despite its limitations.
I kind of figured that was the case any why I was curious what ICs were being used. Regardless, it's a product that needs to be on the market and happy you helped make it happen.
mikechi2 wrote:For S-video, I think ideal would be direct sampling of Y and C and perform the IQ coherent demodulation on the FPGA. In theory this can be done on the current OSSC if the FPGA is fast enough and the video ADC is capable of digitizing the colorburst.
At the end of the day, I think you're right on this one. Assuming the FPGA is fast enough, would it be worth looking outside the world of video processing analog front-ends and into more generic ADCs meant for things like MRI machines, then doing all the heavy lifting on the FPGA?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

mikechi2 wrote:
For S-video, I think ideal would be direct sampling of Y and C and perform the IQ coherent demodulation on the FPGA. In theory this can be done on the current OSSC if the FPGA is fast enough and the video ADC is capable of digitizing the colorburst.
Interesting idea
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I assumed it wasn't possible. But now I'm less sure. So I have to ask.

As an extension of disconnecting output when there's no input. Would it be possible to create an automatic input selection mode?

If there's no input active for the selected port. Then switch to the other input after a half second or so. Rinse and repeat. It should bounce back and forth until one produces a signal. And since output is disabled until a signal is found. There's no need to have any consistent output rate.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I assumed it wasn't possible. But now I'm less sure. So I have to ask.

As an extension of disconnecting output when there's no input. Would it be possible to create an automatic input selection mode?

If there's no input active for the selected port. Then switch to the other input after a half second or so. Rinse and repeat. It should bounce back and forth until one produces a signal. And since output is disabled until a signal is found. There's no need to have any consistent output rate.
I second this too! The quest for the ultimate device continues!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Well, I give up. :oops: I can't seem to get clean captures of svideo or composite in this room. (I think) I know why and there's nothing else I can do about it right now.

Sorry bout that.

Want to see photos of Koryuu anyhow? They are here :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/85c80znvx ... u.rar/file

(Beware the noise pattern from this room. Thar be dragons there.)
megari

Post by megari »

megari wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:
Sure. I'll try to give you all an update during the weekend (unless the flu overwhelms me).
And overwhelm me it did. Been sick since. Sorry.

Will try to get stuff done now that I'm getting a bit better.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:And overwhelm me it did. Been sick since. Sorry.

There's no rush at all, the Koryuu works well in the immediate. Having it not provide output when there's no input is a long term request.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:And overwhelm me it did. Been sick since. Sorry.

There's no rush at all, the Koryuu works well in the immediate. Having it not provide output when there's no input is a long term request.
+1

There's no rush. I'm just glad you're listening to requests at all. So many products are set in stone just shy of greatness.
megari

Post by megari »

Hi everyone!

I finally got around implementing something a few people asked for:
  • S-Video input (with pedestal) as default
  • When there is no sync on the current input, the Koryuu outputs no signal.
Edit: As the .hex file is just text, I'll paste it here for the time being until I figure out where to host these. It takes a surprisingly large amount of vertical space, sorry.

Code: Select all

:1000000085C000009DC000009BC0000099C000009A
:1000100097C0000095C0000093C0000091C0000090
:100020008FC000008DC000008BC0000089C00000A0
:1000300087C0000085C00000A3C4000081C000008C
:100040007FC000007DC000007BC0000079C00000C0
:1000500077C0000075C0000073C0000071C00000D0
:10006000DCC400006DC000002805360536053605E5
:1000700036053605360536052805360536053605B6
:10008000360536053605360552053605360536057C
:1000900036053605360536058E0536053605360530
:1000A00036053605360536056D0536053605360541
:1000B00036053605360536058E0536053605360510
:1000C0003605360536053605360536053605360558
:1000D00036053605360536058705360536053605F7
:1000E00036053605360536058E05360536053605E0
:1000F0003605360536053605360536053605360528
:1001000036053605360536054305580311241FBE4E
:10011000CFEFD8E0DEBFCDBF21E0A0E0B1E001C06D
:100120001D92AC33B207E1F710E0C6E8D0E003C09F
:100130002197FE01FFD4C538D107D1F7D2D200C52F
:100140005FCFE0910801F0910901309711F062E072
:10015000099408950F931F93CF93DF9300D0CDB7E9
:10016000DEB7182F69834A83BE016F5F7F4F70939C
:10017000150160931401AE014D5F5F4F509317015D
:10018000409316018093180181E0809319018093B8
:100190001B0110921C01109221011092200110925B
:1001A0001F01E0911D01F0911E01309721F001E047
:1001B00021E0812F09958091BC00816A8093BC0069
:1001C000809119018111FCCF80911C01882311F0CD
:1001D000812FB7DF0F900F90DF91CF911F910F917B
:1001E00008950F931F93CF93DF9300D0CDB7DEB761
:1001F000182F69834A83BE016F5F7F4F709315018B
:1002000060931401AE014D5F5F4F5093170140930F
:1002100016018093180181E08093190180931B01DE
:1002200010921C01109221011092200110921F01C6
:10023000E0911D01F0911E01309721F001E021E0D5
:10024000812F09958091BC00816A8093BC008091C8
:1002500019018111FCCF80911C01882311F0812F9D
:1002600070DF0F900F90DF91CF911F910F91089544
:1002700098E288E10FB6F894A895809360000FBECD
:1002800090936000299A2A9A2E9A5E9842985F98D5
:1002900029E130E088E893E1F9013197F1F701971E
:1002A000D9F7199908C0299A1A9908C02A9A1E994B
:1002B00008C02E9AEFCF29981A9BF8CF2A981E9B38
:1002C000F8CF2E98E7CF611116C0882341F141E0A5
:1002D00050E067E170E080913A0183DF43E150E054
:1002E00068E170E080913A017CDF80913A0140E161
:1002F00063EF70E02FCF44E450E067E170E080915D
:100300003A016FDF44E850E068E170E080913A0123
:1003100068DF80913A0140E063EF70E01BCF41E479
:1003200050E067E170E080913A015BDFD7CFBF9288
:10033000CF92DF92EF92FF920F931F93CF93DF93B1
:1003400000D0CDB7DEB7182FB62E80913A019FE0CE
:10035000998390E89A839E012F5F3F4F79013093F4
:100360001501209314016E0133E0C30ED11CD0920D
:100370001701C09216018093180191E09093190122
:1003800090931B0110921C011092210110922001E8
:1003900010921F01E0911D01F0911E01309749F06C
:1003A00001E021E0A601B7010995E0911D01F0915E
:1003B0001E018091BC00816A8093BC00809119016C
:1003C0008111FCCF80911C018091120197E19983EA
:1003D00092E09A83F0921501E0921401D0921701F5
:1003E000C09216018093180191E0909319019093A7
:1003F0001B0110921C0110922101109220011092F9
:100400001F01309749F001E021E0A601B7010995ED
:10041000E0911D01F0911E018091BC00816A8093E2
:10042000BC00809119018111FCCF80911C01809149
:100430003A019FE099831A82F0921501E09214012B
:10044000D0921701C09216018093180191E0909309
:10045000190190931B0110921C011092210110921E
:10046000200110921F01309729F001E021E0A60140
:10047000B70109958091BC00816A8093BC0080918E
:1004800019018111FCCF80911C0184EC99E0019746
:10049000F1F71111F8C04DEC50E062E570E0809189
:1004A0003A019FDE40E060E070E080913A0152DE68
:1004B00040E86EE070E080913A014CDE40E050E0B0
:1004C0006CE970E080913A018CDE4FEF50E06CE90E
:1004D00070E080913A0185DE40E06EE070E080914E
:1004E0003A0138DE41E550E060E870E080913A0181
:1004F00078DE41E550E061E870E080913A0171DE1C
:1005000048E650E062E870E080913A016ADE40E23D
:100510006EE070E080913A011DDE43E664E470E035
:1005200080913A0117DE43E663E470E080913A017E
:1005300011DE4FE36CE470E080913A010BDE4FE393
:100540006BE470E080913A0105DE41ED60E470E01B
:1005500080913A01FFDD40E06EE070E080913A0169
:10056000F9DDB1109EC044E062E070E080913A0194
:10057000F1DD4CE863E070E080913A01EBDD47E3A8
:1005800064E070E080913A01E5DD40E050E063E135
:1005900070E080913A0125DE41E150E064E170E0D5
:1005A00080913A011EDE40E650E065E170E0809106
:1005B0003A0117DE60E0812F86DE40E450E06DE115
:1005C00070E080913A010DDE42E050E061E370E0BE
:1005D00080913A0106DE4CEE6DE470E080913A01C4
:1005E000B9DD44E150E06BE670E080913A01F9DD5D
:1005F00041E050E060E070E080911201F2DD40E106
:1006000050E060E170E080911201EBDD40E050E0ED
:1006100061E070E080911201E4DD40E150E060E8CB
:1006200070E080911201DDDD48EC50E062E870E09E
:1006300080911201D6DD44E150E063E870E08091E2
:100640001201CFDD46E050E064E870E080911201D5
:10065000C8DD40E250E067E870E080911201C1DD42
:1006600042E050E068E870E080911201BADD0F903E
:100670000F90DF91CF911F910F91FF90EF90DF903E
:10068000CF90BF9008954EEC50E063E570E080910C
:100690003A01A7DD49E060E070E080913A015ADD5F
:1006A00007CF44E162E070E080913A0153DD61CF11
:1006B00010921E0110921D01E2E2F1E080E2808FB3
:1006C00084E8818F52985A9A5E98569A5E9842981A
:1006D0003A9A42988AE2809312015F98579A5F98FB
:1006E0000895CF93DF931F92CDB7DEB7F894A89506
:1006F00084B7877F84BF80916000886180936000A9
:1007000010926000789488EA91E60197F1F7F894E6
:1007100055985D9A27982F9A82E084BD95E095BD03
:1007200094E097BD80936E002998219A29982A9881
:10073000229A2A982E98269A2E9844983C98459862
:100740003D988091B9008E7F8093B9008091B90067
:100750008D7F8093B9008DEF8093B80085E48093FE
:10076000BC0088E391E0909309018093080178949C
:100770008CED95E00197F1F75E9A429A5F9A84ECCE
:1007800099E00197F1F761E081E0D1DD83E08093AA
:1007900007012A9A01E010E0CE0101966C01019652
:1007A0007C0182E0982E93E0A92E23E1B22EF894EA
:1007B000809106011092060178948823A1F080911F
:1007C0000701813009F4CAC008F4BEC0823009F4C0
:1007D000B2C0833041F460E080E0A9DD10920701EF
:1007E000299A2A9810E0F894809105011092050149
:1007F00078948823A9F06091040181E068276093D0
:10080000040180910701823008F490C0843020F404
:1008100081E059DD60910401662309F485C02E9AB8
:1008200089B1982F9470892E82FF03C0002309F4A8
:10083000BECF70903A01B982D0921501C0921401D6
:10084000F0921701E09216017092180181E08093F6
:10085000190110921B0110921C011092210110929B
:10086000200110921F01E0911D01F0911E013097AF
:1008700031F000E021E0A701B601872D09958091B4
:10088000BC00816A8093BC00809119018111FCCF6A
:1008900080911C01709218011092130181E08093E5
:1008A0001A0180931B0110921C01109221011092D9
:1008B000200110921F018091BC00816A8093BC00CE
:1008C00080911A018111FCCF809113011123F1F065
:1008D00080FF4DC0811026C040E26EE070E0809144
:1008E0003A0138DC43E663E470E080913A0132DC9F
:1008F0004FE36BE470E080913A012CDC40E06EE065
:1009000070E080913A0126DC01E051CF80FFE2CF18
:100910004EE150E060E070E08091120162DC11E095
:100920008820D1F200E043CF2E987ACF80E0CBDC54
:100930006091040171CF44E162E070E080913A017E
:1009400009DCA09207014FCF44E162E070E08091A2
:100950003A0100DC81E08093070145CF60E081E04F
:10096000E6DC9092070129982A9A10E03CCF41E0FA
:1009700050E060E070E08091120133DC10E0AACF1B
:100980001F920F920FB60F9211242F938F939F9364
:1009900089B191E0282F207285FD90E080910101BE
:1009A0009817C1F1809100018F5F8093000184301E
:1009B00051F123B1822F8095881F8827881F90913D
:1009C00003018917B1F0909102019F5F909302019A
:1009D000943041F09F918F912F910F900FBE0F9007
:1009E0001F9018958093030127FD03C081E0809339
:1009F0000501109202019F918F912F910F900FBED0
:100A00000F901F90189590930101211103C081E070
:100A10008093060110920001CCCF1F920F920FB667
:100A20000F9211242F933F938F939F93AF93BF9374
:100A3000EF93FF938091B900E82FE87F8E2F90E02D
:100A4000FC013897E135F10588F4EC5CFF4F72C08A
:100A500080911A01882309F465C080911801880FDC
:100A600081608093BB0085EC8093BC00FF91EF9187
:100A7000BF91AF919F918F913F912F910F900FBE9A
:100A80000F901F90189581E0809321018091BB0009
:100A90008093130185ED8093BC0010921901109290
:100AA0001A01E4CF81E080931F01E0911401F091DD
:100AB00015018091160190911701E817F90751F37C
:100AC000CF0101969093150180931401808180934A
:100AD000BB0085EC8093BC00C9CF81E080932101ED
:100AE000E0911401F0911501209116013091170148
:100AF000E217F30729F78093200180911B018111F0
:100B0000C9CF84E68093BC0010921901AFCF81E079
:100B100080931F0185E88093BC00A8CF81E080937B
:100B20001C01B8CF8091180190E0880F991F809325
:100B3000BB0099CFEE0FFF1F0590F491E02D0994B3
:040B4000F894FFCF57
:00000001FF
You can use a suitable AVR ISP programmer and avrdude to update the firmware, like so:

Code: Select all

avrdude -p atmega328p -P your_port -c your_programmer_type -U flash:w:firmware.hex
(The parameters your_port and your_programmer_type depend on your setup and programmer.)

Sorry for the terse instructions. I intend to create better ones soon.

As for some other things people have asked for:
  • Remembering the input last used before power-off: doable, easy, some thinking to avoid needless nonvolatile memory wear, a little bit of work to implement
  • Any other settings you might be interested in saving?
  • Auto-selecting input by polling both inputs: doable, not difficult, may require some code reorganization for maintainability purposes.
Last edited by megari on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

megari wrote: I finally got around implementing something a few people asked for:
  • S-Video input (with pedestal) as default
  • When there is no sync on the current input, the Koryuu outputs no signal.
Excellent!
megari wrote: As for some other things people have asked for:
  • Remembering the input last used before power-off: doable, easy, some thinking to avoid needless nonvolatile memory wear, a little bit of work to implement
  • Auto-selecting input by polling both inputs: doable, not difficult, may require some code reorganization for maintainability purposes.
I would assume that auto-polling inputs would satisfy a significant portion of people wanting the device to remember the last input. At which point you might only need to remember the pedestal setting. Which I assume people wouldn't toggle much. And would altogether reduce nonvolatile memory wear?

Or I just might be biased in that I want that auto-polling.

EDIT: volatile -> nonvolatile
Last edited by DirkSwizzler on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
megari wrote: As for some other things people have asked for:
I would assume that auto-polling inputs would satisfy a significant portion of people wanting the device to remember the last input. At which point you might only need to remember the pedestal setting. Which I assume people wouldn't toggle much. And would altogether reduce volatile memory wear?

Or I just might be biased in that I want that auto-polling.
I agree with your assessment; there's no reason to save the last-used input if signal detection is just going to automatically find whichever is connected (and it doesn't even have to be that smart--lock onto the first one detected, resume scanning when signal lost).

I also don't expect that the pedestal setting is going to be changed often, but it does make me wonder if there's some way of automatically discerning pedestal as well. I'm not sure if I correctly understand all of this, but, if 1) 0 IRE corresponds to 0V and 7.5 IRE corresponds to ~53mV; 2) video frames that use 7.5 IRE (NTSC-U/C) never dip to 0V; and 3) monitoring the voltage of luma during the video frame is possible, then I think a reasonable approach to automatically detecting the pedestal might be to start by assuming the higher pedestal (because it's reasonable for frames with both pedestals to be around ~53mV), then switch to the lower pedestal if the voltage ever drops to 0 during the video information (because 7.5 IRE frames should never dip that low, but 0 IRE frames absolutely will).

Then again, I'm really not sure if signal analysis like that is really all that possible on devices like the Koryuu or OSSC.
rama

Post by rama »

Many ADC chips have test registers that show an ADC reading snapshot.
These update quickly and one can just monitor them in a loop for a while.
If the readout never dips below the pedestal threshold, then we can assume a pedestal is present.
This should work reliably, due to CVBS / S-Video having a somewhat good standard with regards to voltages.
(Exception: Be wary of these damn Mega Drives ;p)

I suppose if the ADC also reads the sync tip, that this can be filtered out. The sync tip will be of a much lower voltage.