Analogue DAC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tusecsy

Re: Analogue DAC

Post by tusecsy »

ldeveraux wrote:
tusecsy wrote:Kinda a good idea to have one in the future for Pocket shenanigans on analogue displays.
Ironic, considering you said this in September:

"What a dumb product. Talk about catering to the niche of the niche. And a 6 month pre-order on top of that after 2 years of teasing it. They'll be lucky if they sell 200 of these."
that was before the pocket existed.

ironic.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tusecsy wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
tusecsy wrote:Kinda a good idea to have one in the future for Pocket shenanigans on analogue displays.

"What a dumb product. Talk about catering to the niche of the niche. And a 6 month pre-order on top of that after 2 years of teasing it. They'll be lucky if they sell 200 of these."

ironic.
Oh I see. It wasn't worthy of buying for their other products, but the Pocket announcement makes it worthwhile. OK.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

ldeveraux wrote:
tusecsy wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

ironic.
Oh I see. It wasn't worthy of buying for their other products, but the Pocket announcement makes it worthwhile. OK.
Yes exactly. For other systems just use the original system. This provides a great way to get all those handheld systems video output on a CRT. Not a really good way to do that before this + dock + pocket.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I haven't been following lately, but is there an exact ship date listed for the DAC yet? They've been saying February...
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Dochartaigh wrote:I haven't been following lately, but is there an exact ship date listed for the DAC yet? They've been saying February...
They say this week. New preorder is for april.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

tusecsy wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:I haven't been following lately, but is there an exact ship date listed for the DAC yet? They've been saying February...
They say this week. New preorder is for april.
I actually spoke too soon. I got my shipping notice a couple hours after I posted this lol.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Yep, same here.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
shadestreet

Post by shadestreet »

tusecsy wrote: Yes exactly. For other systems just use the original system. This provides a great way to get all those handheld systems video output on a CRT. Not a really good way to do that before this + dock + pocket.
Think the dock will come out within the window of the Pocket launch? A little worried it will be wind up a year+ behind the rollout of pocket, like the DAC was.

The Dock seems integral to the Pocket, unlike the DAC, so hopefully this isn't the case. (though I would expect many of the adapters like the Lynx to be out much later).

To the point of the pocket being the best way to get those handhelds, I suppose for the adapter games (GG, Lynx, etc). Think it would offer any improvement over the GC-GBA adapter or SNES-GBC adapter?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Just got mine today, but won't be able to make use of it until I get the Pocket.

tusecsy wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

ironic.
You clearly were hostile toward the product and thought it was dumb, but you changed your tune in the past few months and the Pocket doesn't change at all the purpose of the DAC which is still and always was to get Analogue hardware working on CRTs, it's fine to admit you were wrong reflected on it and changed your mind, it happens to everybody, no need to make up BS excuses instead.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'd still say it's a comically unnecessary product even with the Pocket in existence, since the MiSTer now does GBA too, very accurately already, and bound to be better than the closed source core supported by one brilliant man. Pocket sounds nice for actual portable gaming, but to play on any external displays you'll definitely be better off with the MiSTer (which technically can be made portable with the same screen that the Pocket uses even :lol: , though that would obviously be DIY).

I only see the case for it when it comes to people who are loyally married to the practice of using cartridges. That's something that the MiSTer will almost certainly never support.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

fernan1234 wrote:I'd still say it's a comically unnecessary product even with the Pocket in existence, since the MiSTer now does GBA too, very accurately already, and bound to be better than the closed source core supported by one brilliant man. Pocket sounds nice for actual portable gaming, but to play on any external displays you'll definitely be better off with the MiSTer (which technically can be made portable with the same screen that the Pocket uses even :lol: , though that would obviously be DIY).

I only see the case for it when it comes to people who are loyally married to the practice of using cartridges. That's something that the MiSTer will almost certainly never support.
The finicky nature of MiSTer (regardless of how awesome) is not for everyone.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

tusecsy wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

You clearly were hostile toward the product and thought it was dumb, but you changed your tune in the past few months and the Pocket doesn't change at all the purpose of the DAC which is still and always was to get Analogue hardware working on CRTs, it's fine to admit you were wrong reflected on it and changed your mind, it happens to everybody, no need to make up BS excuses instead.

But I did change my mind because of the pocket. It's a game changer...
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

fernan1234 wrote:I'd still say it's a comically unnecessary product even with the Pocket in existence, since the MiSTer now does GBA too, very accurately already, and bound to be better than the closed source core supported by one brilliant man. Pocket sounds nice for actual portable gaming, but to play on any external displays you'll definitely be better off with the MiSTer (which technically can be made portable with the same screen that the Pocket uses even :lol: , though that would obviously be DIY).

The best Mister core will never be as good as the worst Analogue core. They don't have Kevtris and probably never will.

Not to D ride, but let's be real here. Mister is a great option for 95% accuracy. But if you want that last 5%, trust in kevtris.
it290

Post by it290 »

As an owner of both a Super NT/Mega SG and a MiSTer, I can't really agree with that... yes, Kevtris is awesome, but the cores for those systems still have bugs, and fixes are slower to trickle in due to the one-man/closed-source nature of the project. I agree that the Super NT still has a (very slight) leg up on the MiSTer's SNES core, but the MD cores are virtually on par IMO, and in my mind the ease of using multiple input options + the ability to simultaneously output analog+digital puts the MiSTer well ahead.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Plus, it's a pain to see Kevtris struggle with the video options, while the MISTer video options get better and better all the time.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

it290 wrote:As an owner of both a Super NT/Mega SG and a MiSTer, I can't really agree with that... yes, Kevtris is awesome, but the cores for those systems still have bugs, and fixes are slower to trickle in due to the one-man/closed-source nature of the project. I agree that the Super NT still has a (very slight) leg up on the MiSTer's SNES core, but the MD cores are virtually on par IMO, and in my mind the ease of using multiple input options + the ability to simultaneously output analog+digital puts the MiSTer well ahead.
I agree. Kevtris does great work but it is far from perfect. NT Mini, Super NT and Mega Sg all have outstanding unresolved bugs which will likely never be fixed due to Analogue’s release it and move on mentality. The open source nature of MISTer I expect will ultimately lead to more accurate cores.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

tusecsy wrote: Not to D ride, but let's be real here. Mister is a great option for 95% accuracy. But if you want that last 5%, trust in kevtris.
This, but with the names switched around. After what I've seen and the momentum MiSTer is gaining, if a year from now even a single Kevtris core is more accurate and feature-rich than its MiSTer equivalent I will eat a shoe.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tusecsy wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Oh I see. It wasn't worthy of buying for their other products, but the Pocket announcement makes it worthwhile. OK.
Yes exactly. For other systems just use the original system. This provides a great way to get all those handheld systems video output on a CRT. Not a really good way to do that before this + dock + pocket.
You didn't catch the sarcasm but my criticism is the same as the others in this thread.
Last edited by ldeveraux on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Can anyone recommend a quality cable to get component output from the DAC?

(Disregard, just ordered a Monoprice cable.. will be fine.)
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I feel like this thread is being overly harsh on Analogue.
I applaud Analogue for releasing the DAC.
The more quality products in this space, the better.

I, like many of you, have gone to the trouble of install a Triple Bypass on my Model 2 Genesis and modding my 1-chip SNES for near-perfect video, but there are lots of people out there who have likely not done all of this and will look for an easier route... now those people can simply purchase (or already own) a Super NT & Mega SG for their HDTV, and also use the DAC for an excellent experience on a CRT.

I think a lot of people on Shmups forget that this is one of the more extreme corners of the internet for analog video and CRTs. There is a larger portion of the retro gaming world that is digital displays first and will possibly dabble in CRTs. Hell, there are probably a lot of retro gamers at this point that never even grew up with a CRT in their home.
Last edited by Speedy on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Speedy wrote:There is a larger portion of the retro gaming world that is digital displays first and will possibly dabble in CRTs. Hell, there are probably a lot of retro gamers at this point that never even grew up with a CRT in their home.
There's an even larger portion of the population outside of Shmups that want something quick and easy to play the games they used to play as a kid, who won't spend hundreds of dollars on a complete Analogue system with accessories. Those people are happy paying for a mini system with HDMI because it just works. If they are feeling adventurous as I once was, they might buy a used NES on Ebay and find a way to plug the composite cable into their oldest TV. Analogue's products are a niche within a niche, and aren't marketed toward the masses. The only ones being harsh are those who these devices are geared for.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

To the contrary, I don't think we're even being harsh enough with Analogue products. Kids are not buying their products, it's adults with expendable income and on nostalgia trips, as well as "collectors" and those otherwise thirsty for retro gaming nerd cred points, and scalpers hoping to flip them on eBay at some point. But people with a good head over their shoulders, who should have the capacity to be vaguely aware of other options, shouldn't even give them the time of day. I'll grant a single exception for the Pocket itself since it hasn't come out yet, and offers something unique for now.

Think about their by far best product so far, the NT Mini. At the time it was truly revolutionary and unmatched by anything else on the market, and the extra cores on the JB firmware made it even more of a wonder. But now we have MiSTer with cores and features already superior (SNES being a partial exception, for now), both growing further. So now its only value is as a sort of collector's trophy (and you can see it in the rush to dump a lot of them on eBay recently after Analogue "agreed" to do another run after a petition met its milestone lol).

NGL, it also irks me to know they monopolize a talent like Kevtris. Sure, if it weren't for their employment perhaps he wouldn't be doing anything in FPGA gaming at all, but I can't help wondering what if...

/rant
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

The pocket is honestly pointless at this time unless all you care about is either piracy(Playing other cores), or being able to play GBA/GB/GBC all in one system. (Which you can also do with the GBA and IPS kit)
But now there are full size(Yes full size. There is a full size replacement for the DMG and GBC now) 4x integer scaled IPS display replacements for all 3 of those handhelds. You could buy and build all 3 likely for less than the cost of an Analogue Pocket. So what's the point?

If you want to play other systems, there are some decent 2nd gen Chinese handhelds out there that will be able to play all the same systems on pixel perfect 320x240 IPS displays. (For 50-70$) Yes it's software emulation but in a double blind test aside from the known edge cases and games that have performance issues , most people won't be able to tell the difference in that form factor. (Compared to say emulators running on android where the latency is far more noticeable)
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

fernan1234 wrote:
tusecsy wrote: Not to D ride, but let's be real here. Mister is a great option for 95% accuracy. But if you want that last 5%, trust in kevtris.
This, but with the names switched around. After what I've seen and the momentum MiSTer is gaining, if a year from now even a single Kevtris core is more accurate and feature-rich than its MiSTer equivalent I will eat a shoe.
The shumps Herzog.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

BONKERS wrote:The pocket is honestly pointless at this time unless all you care about is either piracy(Playing other cores), or being able to play GBA/GB/GBC all in one system. (Which you can also do with the GBA and IPS kit)
But now there are full size(Yes full size. There is a full size replacement for the DMG and GBC now) 4x integer scaled IPS display replacements for all 3 of those handhelds. You could buy and build all 3 likely for less than the cost of an Analogue Pocket. So what's the point?

If you want to play other systems, there are some decent 2nd gen Chinese handhelds out there that will be able to play all the same systems on pixel perfect 320x240 IPS displays. (For 50-70$) Yes it's software emulation but in a double blind test aside from the known edge cases and games that have performance issues , most people won't be able to tell the difference in that form factor. (Compared to say emulators running on android where the latency is far more noticeable)
Better display maybe?

Resolution doesn't necessarily correlate with display quality, so I would wait for reviews, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Analogue Pocket has a better display than cheap China clone consoles and mods.

Also, pixel perfect 320x240 IPS displays are bad. A that low resolution means they can only support a 1:1 PAR, have no room to simulate other display types and can't display anything outside of that resolution well.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

fernan1234 wrote:To the contrary, I don't think we're even being harsh enough with Analogue products. Kids are not buying their products, it's adults with expendable income and on nostalgia trips, as well as "collectors" and those otherwise thirsty for retro gaming nerd cred points, and scalpers hoping to flip them on eBay at some point. But people with a good head over their shoulders, who should have the capacity to be vaguely aware of other options, shouldn't even give them the time of day. I'll grant a single exception for the Pocket itself since it hasn't come out yet, and offers something unique for now.

Think about their by far best product so far, the NT Mini. At the time it was truly revolutionary and unmatched by anything else on the market, and the extra cores on the JB firmware made it even more of a wonder. But now we have MiSTer with cores and features already superior (SNES being a partial exception, for now), both growing further. So now its only value is as a sort of collector's trophy (and you can see it in the rush to dump a lot of them on eBay recently after Analogue "agreed" to do another run after a petition met its milestone lol).

NGL, it also irks me to know they monopolize a talent like Kevtris. Sure, if it weren't for their employment perhaps he wouldn't be doing anything in FPGA gaming at all, but I can't help wondering what if...

/rant
lol no, also, you sound poor.

sorry guys mister is still trash, i know you really want to believe it isn't.... like people who really want to believe android is better than iphone.

just because kevtris core has issues with some japanese only love-text adventure game that nobody has ever played or will ever play, doesnt mean its flawed. it just means you're seeing the glass as 1/10,000th empty.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

BONKERS wrote:The pocket is honestly pointless at this time unless all you care about is either piracy(Playing other cores), or being able to play GBA/GB/GBC all in one system. (Which you can also do with the GBA and IPS kit)

you're really trying to compare shit chinese stolen emulator trash on cellphone chips to high level programmed cyclone v fpga from scratch......

ok....
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

tusecsy wrote:lol no, also, you sound poor.

sorry guys mister is still trash, i know you really want to believe it isn't.... like people who really want to believe android is better than iphone.

just because kevtris core has issues with some japanese only love-text adventure game that nobody has ever played or will ever play, doesnt mean its flawed. it just means you're seeing the glass as 1/10,000th empty.

100% wrong in every count from an Analogue apologist. Keep enjoying giving them your surplus money and missing out on better options.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Has anyone actually tried this thing yet and can report on its quality?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

SavagePencil wrote:Has anyone actually tried this thing yet and can report on its quality?
Not really, DirkSwizzler tested it with a couple of consoles and a switcher, but that's it so far:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585&start=330