Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

playing a bit more just now, the fairies are for sure hidden in preset locations
for instance, in the first stage, the tree right after the well in the beginning has a fairy
(also, if you play as the Eldest Sister and just hold Summon the whole time, you'll find almost no fairies because you are only attacking the enemies, even if you spend almost every second of your time in Max Tension)

also am I losing my mind or does this game occasionally skip some frames? Every once in a while when I get hit, it feels like my character had kinda "jumped" into it (and I don't mean while in the presence of something like stage 3's fans)

M.Knight wrote:Those ice/wind gimmicks seem pretty weird ... It's odd to have those in a game where you graze bullets so closely but maybe you can route around those obstacles?
with the ice you could probably get used to the controls enough to keep grazing-movement going, but the fans... these things just suck. :lol: namely the criss-cross arrangement where you are going to unavoidably just be pushed from one side of the screen to the other. For now, I just bomb here, and often also bomb on the screen-sized ice patch in Stage 2.
Is the tornado girl the one with two spinning familiars around her? There was Sayo Yuuki's spinning bird in Shiki 1 and 2 that plays rather similarly, and Batu Harai in Shiki 3 also has a spinning shot (This one you have to charge it and there's some weird charge tricks to keep it up continuously but it's virtually similar) Incidentally this shiki type is the highest scoring one in the Shiki games, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be #1 here again.
it seems most like CoS1 Sayo's sub-shot, yeah. However, the field of effect seems a bit larger, but also with more of a deadzone near your character. If she is does not end up being the "high score character" (disregarding DLC characters), then it'll probably be because her shot (and even the tornadoes tbh) are a bit on the weak side compared to most of the other characters'.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:(also, if you play as the Eldest Sister and just hold Summon the whole time, you'll find almost no fairies because you are only attacking the enemies, even if you spend almost every second of your time in Max Tension)
Agreed, the first stage makes it pretty clear not to just hold summon with her. It ignores all the ground targets that create extra enemies, and bonus coin chests if you are playing on hard.

I should specify that the run where I was triggering lots of them was with fidget spinner girl.
Last edited by Jeneki on Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I just noticed, after beating Easy mode, that Maniac mode options unlock when you beat the game, presumably with each character. Online ranking doesn't count for that mode but it is sorta cool. I don't see myself playing it much though. BTW, Easy mode only gets slightly hard on the last level.

I nearly managed to crack a billion on Normal ( or it might have been hard, I can't remember), and I'm loving this game a lot. Finding shooters that click with me these days is hard but this one is great. I might even dust off some of the Shiki games soon. I don't really remember liking any of the Shiki games as much despite the similarities, back in the day.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Loom1es wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:Strictly Limited Games announced they're doing physical English versions.
If you do import the game from Japan it has full english translation for menus and story. I believe Amazon JP are throwing in a soundtrack, dlc code and an artbook. The SLG version will undoubtably be a nice set but will be 4-5 months before its despatched.
I'm using mobile phone to view Amazon JP, but the edition you listed has two options and it appears to be the same price. I can't understand the difference, would you happen to know why Amazon lists two Limited Editions?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This game is a lot of fun! Made it to stage 3 last night. I was using Nur and I wondered how they'd handle your own stage... I didn't expect in such a lazy way.
The translation is rough and machine - with occasional typos. The game has a fun cutesy comedy vibe between the silly music and enemy models. Not too hard yet with generous bombs and life refills, but I'm fine with that right now lol. The ice hazard kinda sucks (I didn't have as much trouble with the wind), but you have so many bombs so whatever.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

prophetic wrote:
Loom1es wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:Strictly Limited Games announced they're doing physical English versions.
If you do import the game from Japan it has full english translation for menus and story. I believe Amazon JP are throwing in a soundtrack, dlc code and an artbook. The SLG version will undoubtably be a nice set but will be 4-5 months before its despatched.
I'm using mobile phone to view Amazon JP, but the edition you listed has two options and it appears to be the same price. I can't understand the difference, would you happen to know why Amazon lists two Limited Editions?
Hi, just checked the listings. The two editions are different prices. It seems the more expensive one has a limited to Amazon JP download Sonoca card for the soundtrack, this isn't included in the cheaper non limited Amazon version. Both copies come with soundtrack, dlc character code and art book. The game should be the same version.

Hi, just done a further check and the version shown in this unboxing and play through https://youtu.be/BUHYi0Rr8Io is the Amazon JP version currently at the cheaper price of ¥5428. This is the version shown which has English translation. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Loom1es on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Loom1es wrote: Hi, just checked the listings. The two editions are different prices. It seems the more expensive one has a limited to Amazon JP download Sonoca card for the soundtrack, this isn't included in the cheaper non limited Amazon version. Both copies come with soundtrack, dlc character code and art book. The game should be the same version.
Thank you so much for checking. Just to ask, are the two editions you saw the regular and limited?

Here's a screenshot of what I mean by the limited edition showing two versions. If I click on either one the price stays the same.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I LOVE this game. The storyline is almost criminally sexist, but ODE really helps to normalize the universe with her take on the feuding sisters. It's super, super easy, but I can't think of many games where I got a 1CC on my second game and was still excited to go back and play again. All the characters have really fun, unique play-styles, and I guess I just really miss the "walk-em-up" sub-genre of shmups.

Also, wait, in the credits it said, "Alpha Systems 30th".... really?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I bought the digital version on Switch this morning, and just now ordered the import on PS4. Such a gift this game! This one totally flew under my radar, but I've been playing it all day and can't wait to own a physical copy.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

prophetic wrote:
Loom1es wrote: Hi, just checked the listings. The two editions are different prices. It seems the more expensive one has a limited to Amazon JP download Sonoca card for the soundtrack, this isn't included in the cheaper non limited Amazon version. Both copies come with soundtrack, dlc character code and art book. The game should be the same version.
Thank you so much for checking. Just to ask, are the two editions you saw the regular and limited?

Here's a screenshot of what I mean by the limited edition showing two versions. If I click on either one the price stays the same.
Hi, the screenshot is the Amazon JP limited which has a bonus download card for the soundtrack. The other button will click through to the regular edition which still comes with the soundtrack, artbook and dlc. I would get the regular edition, I'm seeing how cash goes this month and I will pick up a copy. I'm not waiting for the strictly limited Games release.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Hm, this feels a lot better than shiki to me. Is there any reason to not just summon the whole time? Is that the game plan--hug a bullet and summon? How do the larger multiplier get applied?

ED: oh i see, it's the fairies. I find that i'm my own worst enemy in this game. Dive straight into bullets. I'm also not sure how i trust the scoring system... i'm not sure how the endgame bonuses and stuff come out when you continue. Kinda weird.

That being said, its a feelgood game. Its very cute and the music is nice. And i really like how crunchy the shikigamis are. They did a good job with this.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Mero

Post by Mero »

I might see if I can grab a copy of this.
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Are there any differences in terms of graphics/slowdowns/lags between NSW and PS4 ?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

silvergunner wrote:Are there any differences in terms of graphics/slowdowns/lags between NSW and PS4 ?
I have the same question. I have the digital version on Switch and the backgrounds have some shimmer and look pretty low-rez. I bought the physical copy on PS4 (should be here next week) and I’m hoping it fixes that.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

It’s sad times when we are so starved for anything new that we consider this a “good” game. Not trying to bash anyone else’s feelings here but Jesus. Sloggy controls, senseless enemy placement and levels where your character is sliding around on ice (great idea for a bullet grazing shmup). People rushing out and ordering at $50 physical should seriously take a look first. I love supporting this genre but this thing is the $14.00 game it’s charged as. Play through it twice and you’ll never look at it again. Grab Mamorukun if you want to play a walk em up.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I get the idea the midbosses went unfinished, as they look like placeholder cubes. Also if you beat them early it's just empty space until the level starts up again. If they wanted to go the reoccurring challenger style of midboss, perhaps using the dlc character would have looked better.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I'm not starved for shmups--i have a list a mile long. Fun is fun. I specifically bought this BECAUSE i thought it wouldnt distract me from my Esprade 1CC like Rolling Gunner might. But i'm having fun with it because the characters just feel good to kill things with.

Anybody figure out how to unlock maniac/berserk? Or is that just a menu that lets you affect the whole game? Does it kick you off the leaderboards?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Special World wrote:Anybody figure out how to unlock maniac/berserk? Or is that just a menu that lets you affect the whole game? Does it kick you off the leaderboards?
Maniac options affect the whole game. It looks like they unlock as you get certain achievements. So far I've unlocked bullet size and slow time.

It says that it locks out the leaderboard when you change the settings (unsure about achievements). Playing hard mode with 3x size bullets is pretty funny as you get literal walls, hope you like using Lale.

I also wonder if the leaderboards are being wonky. Up until a few hours ago, I was only seeing 4 or so people posting scores. Now suddenly there's a lot more.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

To be fair, it's true that this is objectively not a best-in-class shmup. It is clearly a bit rushed, short and unrefined. It is, however, damn fun and has a nice suite of options to tinker with. It also has charm and world-building, which is something arguably better titles like Rolling Gunner have left me a bit cold on. It's something I absolutely want in my collection, so the price of the physical copy was totally worth it to me, but I do see this as a "not for everyone" sort of experience. It's a "Netflix original" sort of quality level, lacking the deep refinement of a Cave or Raizing classic, but definitely good enough to put a smile on my face.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Exactly. I was having a bad day on Saturday and wanted a pick me up. For the mood I was in, this was a much better pick than the probably-superior Rolling Gunner. Just a nice fun pick up and play game that I won't feel the need to devote ages to mastering.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Hmmm, pretty torn on this one. Dug the art style and the fact you got something other than spaceships to shoot. Then, the Mamorukun comparisons almost sealed the deal (I thought that game was pretty great). BUT, my backlog is large enough that I'll need a big justification for forking over $15 on another game, coupled with several reports that it's pretty haphazard and not even worth that much...

I think it's going to the "wait for a sale" pile.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:
Special World wrote:Anybody figure out how to unlock maniac/berserk? Or is that just a menu that lets you affect the whole game? Does it kick you off the leaderboards?
Maniac options affect the whole game. It looks like they unlock as you get certain achievements. So far I've unlocked bullet size and slow time
So the maniac options are like the extra options in Castle Shikigami 2?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BrianC wrote:So the maniac options are like the extra options in Castle Shikigami 2?
Yes that would be a good comparison.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

After spending a few days with this, I'm ready to discuss my opinions.

Good stuff:

Menu options - Tate, button config, cutscenes on/off. If any of these were missing I'd be complaining.

Leaderboard - Separate entries for each character and difficulty.

Character variety - Not as expanded as Shikigami, but they play differently enough that I had to relearn certain parts to compensate for their differences. The game fully acknowledges these differences by setting different thresholds for S+ rankings, as in some characters will reach higher ranks quicker because they are harder to score with (for a while I had one character with a lower score, but higher ranking, on my local leaderboard). Also the game sets up scenarios where using different attack types is optimal, so I have a reason to switch between shot and summon. (for example, Sonay cannot hit certain targets with the summon and will have lower scoring if you completely rely on it, especially on hard)

Difficulties - Easy is easy, but not insultingly easy as some games do. Normal is very clearable. Hard feels like the arcade difficulty.

Scoring - Rewards taking risks. Hard difficulty adds treasure chests which introduces more pushing your luck, as spending too much time on one of these lets enemies pile up to a dangerous level.

Tutorial - Explains basic concepts and scoring. Nice when games include this.

Neutral stuff:

Moderate use of terrain obstacles. They don't hurt you but can get in the way, and need to be considered for grazing as they will block bullets.

Maniac options - Ok to mess around with but ultimately won't get used for serious play.

Achievements - The usual expected ones, and a few actually hard ones.

Bad stuff:

Mid bosses - These feel like they ran out of time, and just texture mapped the placeholder cubes. Would be nice to have something here that better matches the aesthetics.

Ice/wind - These really have no place in a game with grazing mechanics. However, they are completely avoidable during grazing and dodging. There are safe places to stand during enemy waves, and clear breaks where you can run through to the next safe area between attacks. After playing the game twice, I never needed to dodge or graze on one of these again (even on hard). I still think they are unnecessary though.

Character dialog/story - Nothing interesting, outside the DLC character who basically mocks how dumb the characters and story are.

Overall impression:

Feels like a $14 game. Not a newbie dev's first game, but not a top quality release.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I came within one bomb of 1CCing this thing and I'm super disappointed. I know some of you say it's easy but for me, it'd be a nice accomplishment. I literally triggered a new bomb right after I died on the final boss of Normal mode.
Special World

Post by Special World »

You ll get it. I died on the stupid reverse direction pattern right before the end. Got the 1cc the run after that.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

steveovig wrote:I literally triggered a new bomb right after I died on the final boss of Normal mode.
In Shikigami games you get one more bomb every time you die, but also whenever you get an extend. If Sisters Royale works the same way, it's not an unhappy coincidence and you can feel better about that bomb.
If you managed to make it this far, I am sure you can do it again and get the clear!
Jeneki wrote: Ice/wind - These really have no place in a game with grazing mechanics. However, they are completely avoidable during grazing and dodging. There are safe places to stand during enemy waves, and clear breaks where you can run through to the next safe area between attacks. After playing the game twice, I never needed to dodge or graze on one of these again (even on hard). I still think they are unnecessary though.
I am glad to know you can ignore those hazards! That's a relief. Do you think that is true for every/most character(s) by the way?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

For the wind, if you just hold down on the joystick it won't blow you around. And the DLC character, Ode, is immune to the ice due to the fact that she flies (making her a bit of a cheat to play as).
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Jeneki wrote: Character variety - Also the game sets up scenarios where using different attack types is optimal, so I have a reason to switch between shot and summon. (for example, Sonay cannot hit certain targets with the summon and will have lower scoring if you completely rely on it, especially on hard)
What targets for Sonay are you referring to? Lol, I basically just rely on the summon for her but I'd like to maximize my score a little.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I think he's referring to the fairies hidden in the world. Her summon won't target them, so you're giving up massive point bonuses if you don't use your shot to reveal them.