Satazius, Armed 7 and Wolflame on Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Satazius, Armed 7 and Wolflame on Switch

Post by Ghegs »

Looks like Gigantic Army's not the only Astro Port game that we'll get a Switch port of. A physical collection of shmups with a rather inventive name of "Shmup Collection" was just announced: https://limitedgamenews.com/2020/01/31/ ... do-switch/

And looking at the picture in more detail...

I absolutely loved Satazius, 1CCed it on Insane back in the day. Will be fun to take it for another spin. Apparently Storybird will be handling this port as well, and they did a good job with Gigantic Army. I wonder if the games will get a similar new coat of paint?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MathU

Re: Satazius, Armed 7 and Wolflame on Switch

Post by MathU »

Gotta be honest... I've always disliked this dumb term "shmup" and feel a little sour seeing its official stamp on a commercial game title.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ghegs wrote:I wonder if the games will get a similar new coat of paint?
Maybe that's what the "Next" and "DX" in the titles mean? Did the original games ever get some sort of update I'm not aware of?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

same energy

jokes aside, I won't argue with more AstroPort love, tho... personally I probably won't be indulging in mildy updated (or maybe not updated at all) ports of games I already have
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Ghegs wrote:I wonder if the games will get a similar new coat of paint?
Maybe that's what the "Next" and "DX" in the titles mean? Did the original games ever get some sort of update I'm not aware of?
"Next" sounds more like a sequel and "DX" like a more beefy upgrade, but I doubt they're anything that big. Visual upgrade seems more likely.

The original games didn't get any big updates like that as far as I'm aware either. Gigantic Army's Switch port's upgrades are exclusive to that version, which is pretty interesting. But then, Astro Port themselves didn't work on that version at all as far as I can tell, so it makes sense that Storybird can't/won't backport the changes to PC.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FRO

Post by FRO »

Cool to see a smaller dev like Astro Port getting their product out on consoles like this, for wider exposure. This is on my list now :D
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Strange to see Wolflame as a "bonus game", honestly that's the main course in my opinion. But all three of these are great.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Considering the other two have new subtitles, I would guess Wolflame's "bonus" status is just because it won't be an updated version
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Satazius was cool. First Steam game I bought. I'd like to have it on the go. c:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Finally a trailer available here.

Looks pretty much as I expected, Satazius and Armed 7 are now in widescreen and the graphics been injected with a bit more color. Satazius' ship has also been redesigned.

I never did play Wolflame but the graphics appear a bit squished compared to a Youtube video? The colors look about the same.

The compilation is also getting a Wii U release for some reason, but that version lacks Wolflame completely, so...yeah.

My videos
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

This is getting a limited release in the US here, and is up for pre-order

https://www.vgnysoft.com/product-page/s ... ndo-switch
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

These are now out on the Switch store. $6.99 each.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ATTRACTS wrote:These are now out on the Switch store. $6.99 each.
Or 14.99 for all three together. Has anyone tried these? How are the ports?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

BrianC wrote:
14.99 is a great deal.

Wolflame is identical to PC but has wonky aspect ratio issues. It's still fun, but the weakest of them.

Armed 7 DX is very solid. It has a nonstretched wide aspected with nicely sharpened visuals, though a lot of issues like spritesheet "leaking" and tears happen like in the DC version. An original mode with the original colour, interface and sound is included.

Satazius Next is the real star. Properly wide aspected with new ship design and sharp, remixed visuals. The new soundtrack is excellent. An original mode also exists, but the new mode is where it's at.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

RawlingGunnar wrote:
BrianC wrote:
14.99 is a great deal.

Wolflame is identical to PC but has wonky aspect ratio issues. It's still fun, but the weakest of them.

Armed 7 DX is very solid. It has a nonstretched wide aspected with nicely sharpened visuals, though a lot of issues like spritesheet "leaking" and tears happen like in the DC version. An original mode with the original colour, interface and sound is included.

Satazius Next is the real star. Properly wide aspected with new ship design and sharp, remixed visuals. The new soundtrack is excellent. An original mode also exists, but the new mode is where it's at.
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying it (as you said, 14.99 is a great deal and Gigantic Army turned out well) and I'm pleased with my purchase so far.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

If you force your TV to 4:3, does it sort Wolflame's aspect ratio out? From videos I've seen it looks like it will...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

These all look like trash, but I'm open to being sold on them. Also, did anyone on the team think "Wolflame" will just be pronounced "Wolf-Lame"? It's weird.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

They look like good trash to me. The production values are fairly low (these look like a one man effort - maybe two if you include the music). But everything seems to follow the rules of good Japanese style shmups here. I'm generally liking what I'm seeing.

I haven't played any of these though.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is there any difference between the PC versions and Switch ports of Gigantic Army, Armed 7, Satazius, and Wolflame? Or do they not really offer anything new to the table?
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I preordered the european version from amazon but it looks like it is being delayed or something. We are on may the 16th and it hasn’t been dispatched yet :(
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Downloaded all 3. They are `meh`. The kinds of games you switch your brain off while playing (no pun intended). I used the remaining coins on my switch shop account, so only paid 8.50GBP, but not sure it was worth even giving that. I`m on the fence as to whether games like these should be financially supported.

They all feel very cheap and derivative. And not in a loving way. Just very lazy designing; hardly any better than someone making their first game for their school project. I have an issue with Wolflame`s bullets being way too fast on the first level. Levels feel random; enemies just dropped where ever without thought. The music will actually end halfway through the level, fade out, then suddenly start again about 3 seconds later. Levels 1 - 2 look identical, and level 3 looks hardly any different.

Satazius has its moments. Feels like it has a bit more thought put into it, what with there being some choice in the weapons, the upgrading system, some actual level design and a little more detail and variety with the enemies. The chase with the first boss is annoying though, as you have to memorise him in certain parts in order to succeed, which wouldnt be so bad if it weren`t for the checkpoint system, forcing you to play through the whole chase over and over.

Not much time put into Armed 7, but wasnt impressed with the 10 minutes I put into it. Might change my mind later though.

If paying for games like these mean they will eventually make better titles in the future, then I would be happy to support. But I get the feeling this is one of those companies that is just creating mediocre crap, and releasing it physically because they know people will buying anything physical if it is produced in very limited supply. In other words, just in it for the money. Just check out the racing game they are soon to release on the Dreamcast - it looks absolute shit! Nobody in their right mind would`ve bought it when the Dreamcast was around, but some will buy pay a fair price for collectors purposes only.

If 15.00 dollars is no big deal, give it a try. But if you need to hold back the pennies, and need to be careful with whatever games you spend your money on, you`re better off waiting for a better rated game to end up in a sale for the same price instead. Rolling Gunner is about the same price - wasn`t that game made almost completely by one person? That game has 10x better production value, and has had serious care, attention and thought put into it. Get that instead, if you haven`t already, as an example.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Phellan Wolf wrote:I preordered the european version from amazon but it looks like it is being delayed or something. We are on may the 16th and it hasn’t been dispatched yet :(
It's been officially delayed to June. https://twitter.com/PixelHeart_eu/statu ... 3491210255
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

A little disappointing that leaving out controller config options is starting to be a trend with switch ports, though I still like the games themselves quite a bit, especially Satazius.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Ms. Tea wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote:I preordered the european version from amazon but it looks like it is being delayed or something. We are on may the 16th and it hasn’t been dispatched yet :(
It's been officially delayed to June. https://twitter.com/PixelHeart_eu/statu ... 3491210255
Thanks for the heads up
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I picked this up because I liked the original. Honestly, the music in the original was not really much special imo, but it fit the levels WAY better than this new stuff. And that new ship is...kinda ugly. Just looks like random scrap thrown together. But whatever. It's nice to have it on the go. I quite liked Satazius's indulgence in it's inspirations and the levels were really inventive sometimes.
MathU wrote:Gotta be honest... I've always disliked this dumb term "shmup"
Dude...
I am so glad I am not the only one. I was just talking about this on Twitter actually. I HATE that word. lmao
It's like how people hate the word moist. There's a lot of game genre names I just don't like. MetroidVania is another one.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I felt the new music in Satazius fit the first stage better than the old music. The old music reminded me of that disco music in Galaxy Goof Ups (that silly spin off of Yogi's Space Race).
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that these are all 4:3 games stretched horizontally to 16:9. It's easiest to notice this with rotating sprites, and objects that are supposed to be circles. It's also incredibly obvious if you look at the PC versions next to the Switch ports. These aren't "proper" widescreen upgrades in any way, and there's no way to run them letterboxed.

Aside from that, Satazius Next is the first Astro Port "upgrade" that isn't a complete embarrassment and some of the new graphics and music are actually quite nice, and at least it and Armed Seven are available in their original forms which is more than could be said for the Gigantic Army port.

Still, between the stretched display, the lack of customizable controls (which the PC games had), and the ATROCIOUS redone assets in Armed 7 DX that feature mistakes even amateurs tend to catch (the sprite edges aren't trimmed properly so you can see the background color they were edited on, and there's plenty of scaling issues resulting in thin black lines through background assets), these console ports of Astro Port games continue to have a real Mobile Light Force feel to them, which is a shame since the core games are quite solid.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

sethsez wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that these are all 4:3 games stretched horizontally to 16:9. It's easiest to notice this with rotating sprites, and objects that are supposed to be circles. It's also incredibly obvious if you look at the PC versions next to the Switch ports. These aren't "proper" widescreen upgrades in any way, and there's no way to run them letterboxed.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:If you force your TV to 4:3, does it sort Wolflame's aspect ratio out? From videos I've seen it looks like it will...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The odd thing is that when I played Satazius in Steam with my laptop connected to the TV via HDMI, it displayed in 16:9 and looked just like it does on Switch. Also, while the PC games do have customizable controls, they are limited and don't let you map the dpad controls.

edit: Satazius on PC only displays in 4:3 windowed and looks stretched in full screen. Had to set my hori fighting commander to LS mode to play, so it's not just pads with analog affected by the setup issue.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
sethsez wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that these are all 4:3 games stretched horizontally to 16:9. It's easiest to notice this with rotating sprites, and objects that are supposed to be circles. It's also incredibly obvious if you look at the PC versions next to the Switch ports. These aren't "proper" widescreen upgrades in any way, and there's no way to run them letterboxed.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:If you force your TV to 4:3, does it sort Wolflame's aspect ratio out? From videos I've seen it looks like it will...
Oops, missed that! But yeah the aspect ratio issue isn't only on Wolflame, and it's completely unsolvable if you're playing portably which was the primary reason I wanted these on the Switch in the first place.
BrianC wrote:The odd thing is that when I played Satazius in Steam with my laptop connected to the TV via HDMI, it displayed in 16:9 and looked just like it does on Switch. Also, while the PC games do have customizable controls, they are limited and don't let you map the dpad controls.

edit: Satazius on PC only displays in 4:3 windowed and looks stretched in full screen. Had to set my hori fighting commander to LS mode to play, so it's not just pads with analog affected by the setup issue.
Satazius displays in 640x480 (which is 4:3) on PC whether it's windowed or fullscreen, so that's an issue with how your GPU is set up to handle non-native resolution scaling, not an issue inherent to the game itself (any other game running at 640x480 fullscreen would do the same thing on your laptop right now, including games made long before widescreen monitors were a thing). You can set that to maintain aspect ratio, though the method how differs depending on whether your GPU is nvidia, AMD or Intel.