Warcraft 3 Reforged has a 0.5 user score on Metacritic

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ajora

Warcraft 3 Reforged has a 0.5 user score on Metacritic

Post by Ajora »

Which officially makes it the lowest-rated game by users in the history of Metacritic. I feel really bad for the fans who paid money for this, expecting some modicum of quality and not a lazy cash grab. Fuck Activision.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Mischief Maker

Re: Warcraft 3 Reforged has a 0.5 user score on Metacritic

Post by Mischief Maker »

Were these the same people who borked the Homeworld remaster?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Mischief Maker wrote:Were these the same people who borked the Homeworld remaster?
That was Gearbox who handled the Homeworld remastering. And it got very positive reviews.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

It's a bummer really - I hear they even butchered part of the original game via patches.

I have fond memories of playing diverse funmaps at LAN partys back in the day. The default way of playing the game was fun too, but funmaps were unbeaten.

Well, you can always turn towards old versions I guess.
kitten

Post by kitten »

a friend of mine received a refund, then opened another ticket as the game was still in their library, and got back an additional refund (thereby making money on their purchase). pretty amazing.

from what i hear, it's not so much that the game is that bad as it is that it just doesn't work.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Still have my original CDs and keys, backed them up with patches. Actiblizz is cancer.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Thank you for making this thread, I nearly exploded wanting to start it myself. You guys know how much I love talking shit about Blizzard.

We all understand how the five point rating scale works. Blizzard has achieved something exceptionally rare - this remake doesn't deserve a 0, 0 means "this isn't a thing you're rating for." Pizza gets a 0 at being a videogame. But here, going back in time to jack up the system requirements and making an old game worse can only be described with a negative number. The world would be a better place if they had just stayed home all day and done nothing. "Unfinished an 18 year old game" as they say.

Blizzard continues to awe me in an ever-escalating matter. Highly avant garde artists, whose trolling exceeds those people who draw portraits of Jesus out of feces and such.

...They took away fuckin' shadows, people.

(Left unsaid but what we all know to be true: they could have made a new freaking game instead for the money they spent if they had wanted to.)

Also I heard someone claim they used Google Chrome to implement their menus. Good god. Why the everloving hell don't they have an in-house tool for that already?
Last edited by BryanM on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

The BS I'm hearing about company owning your mods is sickening. Truly.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

headlesshobbs wrote:The BS I'm hearing about company owning your mods is sickening. Truly.
This appears to be an attempt at preventing competition arising out of whatever mods/custom games come out out of the player-making-content scene. Scummy for certain.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I always considered the original game the beginning of the end for them anyway. Absolutely hate their goofy, blocky character design. Seriously looks like Sim ThemePark.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Bratwurst wrote:
headlesshobbs wrote:The BS I'm hearing about company owning your mods is sickening. Truly.
This appears to be an attempt at preventing competition arising out of whatever mods/custom games come out out of the player-making-content scene. Scummy for certain.
Also weird as hell. Do they think DOTA wouldn't happen without them? Do they think DOTA didn't sell any Warcraft III copies for them?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

That’s the point. The DOTA/League of Legends -genre- (if you want to call it that) were based on a WC3 mod. It’s less bout being weird, more about being greedy. They just want a piece of the pie if “their” mods becomes another LoL.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This is how desperate they were to capture that DOTA magic .. the working name for Heroes of the Storm was Blizzard DOTA. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67eH9ztv6E

Anyway, even if they had the name, you can't copyright game mechanics, so someone could just make (almost) the same game with a different name .. which is exactly what League of Legends is. Oops.

(Think I should note that I hate MOBAs, and HOTS is actually the best of the lot, even though it failed to make Blizzard a shitzillion dollars like they had hoped)
Last edited by Udderdude on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

opt2not wrote:That’s the point. The DOTA/League of Legends -genre- (if you want to call it that) were based on a WC3 mod. It’s less bout being weird, more about being greedy. They just want a piece of the pie if “their” mods becomes another LoL.
They're chasing away content creators, the pie is all going to someone else now. They had a piece, now they're getting nothing.

Unless you're implying Activision has some sort of weird attachment to "their" games, but I doubt they see them as anything other than money making devices.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Good thing I still have my CDs and backed up the latest TFT patch (before the switch-over to the new client and auto updates). I won't have access to Battle.net this way but I can always use Hamachi or whatever else I need to play with friends (and an endless suppy of mods).

For those of you who want to keep your copies of WC3 truely "classic", use this link for instructions. Just remember you'll need to use another service for playing with friends other than Battle.net if you go this route, just make sure you still have your original discs:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcr ... ft-3/15598
".... that would be rubbish."
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

ZellSF wrote:They're chasing away content creators, the pie is all going to someone else now. They had a piece, now they're getting nothing.

Unless you're implying Activision has some sort of weird attachment to "their" games, but I doubt they see them as anything other than money making devices.
Yup. They are definitely chasing them away, because they don't want content creators becoming their competition.
Activision doesn't give a shit about supporting content creators that are not under their boot.

What they should do is adopt a creators agreement like Unreal Engine, Unity, or other off-the-shelf game engines out there (modding a pre-existing game is essentially like using one of those engines). They have clauses that if your game makes over a certain amount of money using their engine, they take a percentage of the profits. Something like over $50K.
Students and hobbyists can freely use their engine just as long as they "don't get rich" off of it.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Yeah, I'm glad I mainly like the game for playing Tower Defense maps offline. It really sucks for the people who actually like the base game and playing it PvP.

The thievery clause in their EULA is incredibly dumb, just there solely to antagonize and spit on their customers. Take note:

* The RTS interface has existed for decades. All the low hanging fruit has been had - there's not going to be a new breakout game style with this control system. (Honestly I think it's dead obvious that primarily single unit-control type games in the genre have been excessively underexplored - what is there? Sacrifice? Gain Ground? There's obvious empty space there for an action RPG with heavy RTS building elements...)

* There was like 12 years of more people playing DOTA than Warcraft 3 until they finally thought to themselves "maybe we should make a game like that?" Their hubris and stupidity is too high for them to know when to steal something - anything that's nice enough for them to steal will be 10+ years past its prime.

It's comedic how much success has ruined the company artistically. Back with Starcraft, they were absolutely humbled by their orcs in space debacle. One of their competitors showed an isometric RTS that looked badass (which eventually turned out to be faked video), and it lit a fire under Blizzard's ass to match them lickity-split. But DOTA turns out more popular than the game they made for years? Eh, it's just a trashy fad let's ignore it and allow everyone else to saturate and exhaust the market before us. We have World of Warcraft, maaaan.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Yeah I played it for an hour and refunded it because it's not optimized at all.

My computer runs basically any modern game on high/ultra without any problems and a remaster of an 18 year old game had frequent frame drops and freezes. Absolute trash.

Also the new graphics are really crap in some places with environments not being updated enough and some character models looking terrible.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

opt2not wrote:
ZellSF wrote:They're chasing away content creators, the pie is all going to someone else now. They had a piece, now they're getting nothing.

Yup. They are definitely chasing them away, because they don't want content creators becoming their competition.
Thus ensuring content creators becoming their competition.
BryanM wrote:* There was like 12 years of more people playing DOTA than Warcraft 3 until they finally thought to themselves "maybe we should make a game like that?" Their hubris and stupidity is too high for them to know when to steal something - anything that's nice enough for them to steal will be 10+ years past its prime.
At least they're admitting their incompetence here. They would have the best opportunity to "steal" anything successful made for their game. By refusing the opportunity, they're saying they're significantly less competent than their competition.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

BryanM wrote:We have World of Warcraft, maaaan.
and now that's about to get fucked by FFXIV too
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Didn't all the people who made Blizzard great jumped ship a long time ago? What we have today is a completely different company using its name.

For me, Blizzard died with the Diablo 3 fiasco and all this stuff just confirms that I should stay far away from them.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Acti

Post by Acti »

Sad days are coming to Blizzard fans.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I was planning on buying Reforged when it came out since I never got to play Warcraft 3 the first time around, but given the sorry state it's in, and how the original on battlenet has been retroactively ruined, I ended up just "acquiring" a copy to play on a battle net alternative.

Of course after jumping through hoops to get my anti virus to not immediately flag files altered for the service as malicious, I learned that said alternative is primarily European so playing online or trying out DOTA 1 isn't really practical.

Well, I can at least try out the campaign and maybe try tower defense maps...

Or maybe BLIZZARD COULD TRY AND NOT BE COMPLETE TROGLODYTES and they could fix their shit to make it worthy of a purchase. Of course we know that ain't happening.