Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by ACSeraph »

The only new console game is Darius Plus. Obviously there are compromises with each version, but the best all-in one package offered is undoubtedly the post patch Switch LE. If Plus is particularly important to you (I really can't imagine who that would be), the only other real argument is the patch, when the patches become unavailable a generation from now.

Anyhow my only point is an essentially all in one package does exist, if that's important to you. Personally I would never trade my LE for the new release.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
GSK

Post by GSK »

SNES Super Nova and GEN Sagaia are also new, if you want to nitpick. GEN Sagaia might be identical save for the title, I don't remember any differences offhand.

The Japanese versions are getting the extra games when the overseas games come out, but again, they're not on the card. I figure people adamant about having "everything" on physical media are preservationist doomsayers and in that case, I'd imagine the fully-patched versions take precedence, even if it means owning separate versions, but that's not my concern.

I'm curious to find out how they're handling the Space Invaders collection, they've been fuzzy about whether the Arkanoid crossover game is on the card or not and it's not even part of the LE.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GSK wrote:GEN Sagaia might be identical save for the title, I don't remember any differences offhand.
I think some of the text may be in Japanese in JP Darius II, but I alternated between both US Sagaia and JP Darius II and couldn't tell any difference gameplay wise.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

BurlyHeart wrote:Yeah it sucks and I think many people feel the same as there are plenty of copies left. They should've just put them onto one disc but seems like they got greedy.
Unbelievable. I'd never support this company.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I mean, the Japanese version was sort of the same way. There was a normal price version with the arcade games, and then for ~$100 you got all the games. This just has them broken up so if you hypothetically wanted only the console version, you could get that. Personally i think the best thing would have been a $60 release with all the games, and then everybody would pay that and maybe theyd make up that difference. I cant imagine somebody only wanting the console pack unless they have fond memories of Sagaia GEN or something. But i think i only want the Arcade games, so i'm happy to pay less for that.

ED: i mean, initially i was gonna overlook this because of how the Japanese version was compiled. I think it's kinda crappy to add extra GAMES for a limited edition. But i'm interested because it's budget priced and M2 continues to impress me. I know I like Gaiden and Darius II looks like a banger.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I bought the Consumer Edition in a moment of weakness (Christmas beers) and regretted it almost immediately.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I am completely absorbed and fascinated by these pocket-sized takes on what are now very familiar (and wonderful) arcade versions. The console exclusives aren't quite as stellar or interesting, but they're really fun games in their own right.

Do I feel like I paid over the odds? Not at this point, but I have fallen head over heels with Darius and I'm perhaps love blind.

GSK, thanks for all your info and insights in this thread.

ACSeraph, thanks also for your insights and magnetic enthusiasm.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I ended up pre-ordering the console only pack, because I bought the non-LE Japanese version when that came out. So I think with this I end up with most of the games now.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

GSK wrote:SNES Super Nova and GEN Sagaia are also new, if you want to nitpick. GEN Sagaia might be identical save for the title, I don't remember any differences offhand.

Out of curiosity, does Super Nova have gameplay differences? I've only ever played Force.
Stanshall wrote: I am completely absorbed and fascinated by these pocket-sized takes on what are now very familiar (and wonderful) arcade versions. The console exclusives aren't quite as stellar or interesting, but they're really fun games in their own right.
I'm glad to hear you ultimately fell in love with them and put real time in. The games are really charming and "fascinated" is a great way to describe my experience with the MD and SMS ports of DII as well.
Johnpv wrote:I ended up pre-ordering the console only pack, because I bought the non-LE Japanese version when that came out. So I think with this I end up with most of the games now.
I think at least regarding the JP digital release of Consumer Edition this was the target audience. People who bought the standard version and wanted more, but missed the boat on the now very tough to find LE. The title and price is way too confusing though. I assumed right away when I saw it on the eShop it was just a digital version of the LE, and was shocked reading in the fine print that it was only the "bonus" games. Should have named it Console Collection, or Volume II or something like that.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Does Darius Gaiden have separate leaderboards for autofire vs nonauto?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Personally I would never trade my LE for the new release.
Why? When you could have the same thing with all the patches and new title(s) on the cart etc? The only difference I could see is having moon speak on the packaging.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Really happy that US digital versions got confirmed. I have some trade in bucks I can use toward the console version, if I'm taken with the arcade games. Really lookin forward to trying out the variants of Darius 2. Initially it felt like I was getting 3 good, distinct games on the arcade ver, but from the sound of it Sagaias are so different that it may as well be 5 games.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I'm sure it's been mentioned but do these have online leaderboards?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Strider77 wrote:
Personally I would never trade my LE for the new release.
Why? When you could have the same thing with all the patches and new title(s) on the cart etc? The only difference I could see is having moon speak on the packaging.
Because the games are not split between two carts. I load one cart into my switch and can play any of the arcade or console games. I don't want to be switching carts.
steveovig wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned but do these have online leaderboards?
Yes.
Special World wrote:Does Darius Gaiden have separate leaderboards for autofire vs nonauto?
No, but it has replay uploading, so you can just take a look at the run.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

It seems like there's still a little bit of confusion about what exactly the Japanese LE is, so here are some pics I took just now. The JP LE is NOT just the standard version with a bunch of DLC, it is a completely unique cart with all games, including console games, printed directly into the cart. It even has a unique title screen when you boot it up. The only downloadable element for this version is the patch that fixes Gaiden and adds body Sonic to the older games.

Special World

Post by Special World »

Body Sonic is in all the editions right? Is that some kind of special rumble... or am i crazy?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Body Sonic was patched into the JP version, I would assume it will be in the new release. It emulates the way the arcade machine seat rumbles at certain points during play via the controller and I gotta say they did a damn good job of it for Darius 1. It only applies to Darius (all versions), II, and Sagaia V1 and V2. Gaiden runs on a standard cabinet so it doesn't have it.
Rupert H

Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by Rupert H »

ACSeraph wrote:The only new console game is Darius Plus. Obviously there are compromises with each version, but the best all-in one package offered is undoubtedly the post patch Switch LE. If Plus is particularly important to you (I really can't imagine who that would be), the only other real argument is the patch, when the patches become unavailable a generation from now.

Anyhow my only point is an essentially all in one package does exist, if that's important to you. Personally I would never trade my LE for the new release.
You do know that Darius Plus is being patched into the Japanese release next month (March), along with the missing international versions of the console games, right? The JPN Special Edition remains the comprehensive game card, only missing the stupid Amazon Prime Day-exclusive Sagaia GB, which all releases are missing anyway.

I did manage to get hold of Sagaia GB separately. It’s strange in that it boots as its own standalone game, and isn’t even DLC as part of the SE package. It was worthwhile for me as I’d been struggling to 1cc the GB cart on the Game Boy Light thanks to the terrible visibility, and the Switch screen saw it go down with ease.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Do we have any idea when the Strictly Limited version is supposed to ship?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Johnpv wrote:Do we have any idea when the Strictly Limited version is supposed to ship?
The game should ship in March. Unfortunately i think it will be May at the very earliest. SLG are having difficulties with getting the games out. Vasara was preordered in July 2019 and im still waiting delivery. We're nearly up to a year since preordering Ultracore. Hopefully their issues will get sorted when the new packaging/despatch facility gets up to speed.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Never ordering from strictly limited again.

Not interested in waiting months to recieve my order
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

All of the limited print companies are like that. You pay months in advance and just wait and wait. Look at Dispatch games too, how long did Psyvaria Delta take to come out, and wasn't Game Paradise for Switch supposed to ship months ago.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Rupert H wrote: I did manage to get hold of Sagaia GB separately. It’s strange in that it boots as its own standalone game, and isn’t even DLC as part of the SE package. It was worthwhile for me as I’d been struggling to 1cc the GB cart on the Game Boy Light thanks to the terrible visibility, and the Switch screen saw it go down with ease.
Interesting, and not ideal, no. Can I ask how you acquired it, though, please? I'm still keen to try it out.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Stanshall wrote:
Rupert H wrote: I did manage to get hold of Sagaia GB separately. It’s strange in that it boots as its own standalone game, and isn’t even DLC as part of the SE package. It was worthwhile for me as I’d been struggling to 1cc the GB cart on the Game Boy Light thanks to the terrible visibility, and the Switch screen saw it go down with ease.
Interesting, and not ideal, no. Can I ask how you acquired it, though, please? I'm still keen to try it out.
Yeah me too. I'm still salty I jumped thru all the necessary hoops (or so I believed) and didn't get it.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I got it through a Japan connect. There’s no official way of getting hold of it now but you can still find codes on eBay.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Johnpv wrote:All of the limited print companies are like that. You pay months in advance and just wait and wait. Look at Dispatch games too, how long did Psyvaria Delta take to come out, and wasn't Game Paradise for Switch supposed to ship months ago.
Only other company I've purchased from is Limited Run Games and they get their games out in a timely manner.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Shelcoof wrote:
Johnpv wrote:All of the limited print companies are like that. You pay months in advance and just wait and wait. Look at Dispatch games too, how long did Psyvaria Delta take to come out, and wasn't Game Paradise for Switch supposed to ship months ago.
Only other company I've purchased from is Limited Run Games and they get their games out in a timely manner.
That was the case for like 1 game I bought from Limited Run Games. Every other one has shipped later than they announced it would, and they're always silent about the details. The Battle Garegga limited edition one was ridiculous. Every time they claimed it would ship it'd hit that period and they'd push it back another month and wouldn't answer questions on when it would ship. Plus Limited Run Games is absolutely in the pay us now and we'll ship the game in a few months crowd.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Johnpv wrote:Do we have any idea when the Strictly Limited version is supposed to ship?
Darius Cozmic Collection Latest Update: 10.01.2020
Scheduled to ship in March.
You can follow the updates here:
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/ma ... e-updates/
heli

Post by heli »

Shelcoof wrote:Never ordering from strictly limited again.

Just cancel your vasara then.
Maybe i have luck.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

heli wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Never ordering from strictly limited again.

Just cancel your vasara then.
Maybe i have luck.
There is actually an option for that?
Point me the way there
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

CRP wrote:
Darius Cozmic Collection Latest Update: 10.01.2020
Scheduled to ship in March.
You can follow the updates here:
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/ma ... e-updates/

Thanks! I could not find a link to this on the main page, but I guess I missed it.