Tatsujin (Truxton)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
EmperorIng

Re: Tatsujin/Truxton

Post by EmperorIng »

So uh, how many areas are there in a loop?

Tatsujin

EmperorIng - 409,040 - 95 - Yes - MAME 216

Ugh. Should I stick to beating the Genesis Truxton instead? This is a rough game.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Around 200 areas, I believe.
Mills

Re: Tatsujin (Truxton)

Post by Mills »

1CC no miss no bomb run on Mobrix F2P mobile Very Hard difficulty. Terrible background noise and a few glitches
https://youtu.be/UDcnHkcy1dM
Mills

Post by Mills »

Will try and post online photos but someone has posted 41million on Very Hard difficulty F2P. Must be using the max firepower buy option and suicide at specific checkpoints for very high scoring per loop.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

My first Highscore post on ShMUPS, but I think I picked an easy game to start with... man I thought the first stage was hard, this game is killer. When I switched to using the auto fire on my HAS, it became a LOT easier, but still hard. I'm also new to STG after playing games in the SNES/Genesis days 30 years ago. Never had this one on the Genesis though.

Tatsujin - Japanese
XtraSmiley - 191,240 - 47 - Yes - PCB

https://ibb.co/Jk0TN7n

https://ibb.co/SysV86T
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Tatsujin, Arcade
Flobeamer1922 - 2,620,790 - 363 - Yes - WolfMAME 0.216
Wow, I made it all the way to 2-5! I had my first no miss 1-ALL, too! Guess that means I'm not that far off from the 2-ALL!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

TATSUJIN (arcade)
mycophobia - 10,002,590 - 999 - Yes - MAME

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/667507112
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

A true 達人. Very well done, myco. Huge congrats on the eight-digit score.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Tatsujin, Arcade
Flobeamer1922 - 3,240,310 - 431 - Yes - WolfMAME 0.216
Finally got the 2-ALL! Great game, this one. I'll come back to it later to do more loops.
Video of INP playback.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Tatsujin, Arcade
Flobeamer1922 - 12,178,480 - 999 - Yes - WolfMAME 0.216
It's been over a month since I did this score, but better late than never, I suppose. Four hours, eight loops, 12 million points. I don't think I'll be playing this game again for a long time.
Highlighted livestream.
YouTube link.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Congrats! Can't imagine why you would really want to...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
NMS

Post by NMS »

Tatsujin, Arcade
NMS - 1,486,710 - 236 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2

It took me a bit of time but I managed to get the 1-ALL.
Almost no missed too but I got sniped midway through stage 5 by one of the last blue tanks, I just didn't see the shot coming (or the enemy, actually).
My first experience with loop 2 was brutal.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Truxton, Arcade
Flobeamer1922 - 3,000,170 - 403 - Yes - WolfMAME 0.230
First PB on this version of the game since 2019. Killed it off after clearing two loops since I just wanted to see what loop 2 was like here compared to Tatsujin (didn't feel any different to me). Maybe I'll do 10 million on it as well someday.
YouTube link.
INP link.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Truxton MD version - Normal
Angry Hina - 1.557.720 - 1 ALL - Multinorm PAL MD with jp chart
https://youtu.be/zLvZPOMQ2A0

Truxton MD version - Easy
Angry Hina - 2.640.370 - 2 ALL - Multinorm PAL MD with jp chart
https://youtu.be/6m0YCUVZj3I
MJR

Post by MJR »

What do you know, my personal new record since 2008! :D

Truxton, Arcade

MJR - 1'360'990 - 177 - YES - PCB

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Congrats! All these 1Ms are making me feel kinda bad with my shitty 600K.

Updated.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

In the ports, you can get a faster autofire with turbo switches. Please use "No"/"Off", "Yes"/"Int.", or "Ext." (depending on the version) to denote what you played with.
How exactly is this done? Have used the normal config so there should be an "off" for my runs, I guess.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It's something that depends on your controller or the emulator you use. For example, you can use MAME for a number of consoles, and MAME has pretty elaborate autofire settings. (Can't believe I'm saying that...) Honestly, I shouldn't have even said anything, but I did because I got the feeling someone would ask about it eventually. I have long since resigned myself to the understanding that proper scorekeeping is extremely annoying.
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Tatsujin (Arcade)
ZPS - 1,514,390 - 206 - Yes - ShmupMAME 4.2

Replay

Oh, what should I do for my next Toaplan clear...
Mills

Post by Mills »

2CC No miss, no bomb attempt. Not sure why I didn't post this here.

https://youtu.be/6TnJEhhkmds
Steven

Post by Steven »

I guess it's time for me to finally play this game even though I really don't like it at all. I've heard it gets significantly better once you learn the game more. I have tried the console versions, but every time I play one of them I'm like "Why am I playing this version when I can play the real version instead?" The music is currently broken/not fully implemented on MiSTer, and I don't like playing games with broken music, but it plays just fine.

Tatsujin arcade
Steven - 278,150 - 72 - yes - MiSTer
Spoiler
Mero

Post by Mero »

Spoiler
Truxton, MegaDrive, Normal (US version so it was running at 60hz).

Mero - 1,414,080 - 1-5 - Int. - MegaDrive Mini II

Posting this up for now, I can get to the last area before the boss but I haven't reached him yet.
Old score
Last edited by Mero on Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Spoiler
Truxton, MegaDrive, Normal 60hz

Mero - 1,526,710 - 1-5 - Int. - MegaDrive Mini II

Increased my score a bit, I can get to the boss now if I reach the checkpoint after the final midboss.
Old score
Last edited by Mero on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Truxton, MegaDrive, Normal 60hz

Mero - 1,626,570 - 2-1 - Int. - MegaDrive Mini II

Killed the stage 3 boss twice (not intentional) and a few more deaths in the first loop, finished 1-5 with about 1.48m. Game over just before the 2-1 boss.
MJR

Post by MJR »

GAH! I am getting SO close to 1cc.. but it still eludes me.

In the screenshot, my initials say AAA rather than MJR, because I was using autofire circuit, and I tried to deactivate it by pressing fire+1P. Sadly, the 1P has sometimes small connection issues, meaning that I autofired myself past the highscore initials entry... duh

Hope you will accept my entry anyway.

Truxton, Arcade

MJR - 1'439'760 - 183 - YES - PCB

SPM

Post by SPM »

Truxton Arcade
SPM - 1,628,740 - 255 - Yes - MAME - Replay

Tatsujin Arcade
SPM - 1,376,020 - 235 - Yes - MAME - Screenshot

Finally clicked with this game! The fantastic OST and learning the game credit-feeding instead of using save states were the key. This way I practiced most checkpoints while playing and learnt how to recover from mistakes, making the runs less frustrating and allowing more freedom since a death isn't the end.

The game has an "unstable" sweet spot for me though. I think it's most enjoyable once you're a bit familiar with it (less unfair/cheap deaths) but not too much, so you still are under tension not knowing what's coming all the time and will likely have to recover several times. Otherwise you can abuse the OP level 3 laser sitting at the bottom of the screen during large sections of the game, which is kinda boring.

This was also a rare case where I preferred the international version over the original. Some parts in the first loop are more dodgeable/fun here whereas I had to rely more on bombs when I cleared Tatsujin. For anyone using bombs more aggressively they're pretty similar though.

My strat for this game was staying at 4 Ps at times so I could recover faster if I died (just after 1 P instead of 5) and not reaching max speed until the third stage to dodge the first 2 bosses better (you can bomb them but they're fun to dodge, and there's a lot of dead air afterwards if they're speedkilled). Another thing I usually did was NOT hugging the bottom/sides of the screen in case an enemy spawned in my face and needed that time to react, or an enemy shot me from the side and needed to dodge it diagonally towards the corner.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Steven

Post by Steven »

Time for me to play this game, I think, and I might pick up the PCB since it's on the cheap side for Toa shooting PCBs. I played it a bit yesterday on PC to see how it is without autofire and the answer is "completely miserable". Anyone got any general advice for this game aside from "use autofire"? I can never seem to make it to the stage 2 boss. I know you are supposed play this game at max speed and stuff, but I always crash into shit and die and lose my speed.
Mills wrote:I wonder what happened to that rare Truxton prototype pcb in Goodge St which featured RED lazers instead of BLUE?
What

I NEED to know everything about this. It's probably just a glitched PCB or something similar, but I do want to know about this. From what I have read, it was always blue. If anyone knows anything at all about this, please tell me everything that you know.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, I guess it's an improvement. I kind of see why people apparently like this game now. Maybe. I don't know if this Bitwave version of the game is broken or not yet since I've only played this on PCB one time for like 5 minutes, so hopefully this version isn't completely broken. The audio is still broken, but it plays fine enough. There don't seem to actually be version numbers for the updates, but it's the fourth patch, so... version 1.04 or something, I suppose. FPS counter still says 60FPS even though I have it set to "original" speed, although I highly doubt that it actually matches the PCB even at that setting.

Tatsujin arcade
Steven - 661,830 - 117 - No - PC (Steam version 1.04 I guess?)
Spoiler
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I dunno how exactly the frame timing in any of these ports work, but MAME rates Tatsujin for 57.something or other. I'm gonna guess Bitwave uses that "match refresh rate to display" like a lot of emulators (including MAME) have as an option, so it's probably slightly faster than a real board. No idea how M2 handles this stuff.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Tatsujin Mega Drive normal
Steven - 920,710 - 1-4 - Int. - Japanese Mega Drive + Enhanced Graphics & Sound ROM hack
Spoiler
Played this hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7883/

Hack is great, but only works properly on a Mega Drive. Music breaks on Mega Drive 2, MiSTer, and Analogue Pocket as of the time of this post. The Mega Drive Mini 2 ROM has the same problem.