What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BurlyHeart

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by BurlyHeart »

Had a free day yesterday and spent it playing Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition. Took about 9 hours to complete (without all the extras). Not usually a fan of Metroidvanias but thankfully there was very little back tracking and more of a focus on fighting. It was pretty good but have no interest in playing further. Favored the chicken suit due its health regeneration.

Haven't had a full day gaming in years and it was fun & relaxing.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

The Johnny Turbo Arcade games are all on sale for between £1.75 - £2.00 on the Switch eShop now. I'd already picked up most, but dropped for Dragon Ninja, Express Raider and Heavy Burger.

Dragon Ninja is still clunky when compared to the meticulous feel of Kung-Fu Master, but not quite as bad as I remembered. It's better than Ninja Warriors anyway.

Heavy Burger is.... odd. A player-vs-player twin-stick arena shooter with the aim to drag a bag of cash through a series of screens based on their old coin-ops. It's mad, unbalanced, looks an utter mess, but pretty good fun - I can imagine it being an absolute hoot in 4P, but even the single-player has kept me entertained enough to justify the sale price. Worth it for the nostalgia factor alone.

Express Raider.... Hmmm.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What's worth getting?

I guess Crude Buster, Night Slashers, and Joe & Mac Return? Maybe Sly Spy.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I really like Joe & Mac Returns, that's definitely worth the price of admission, the one Data East game that I'd call top-tier.
The rest, they're fun but all feel a bit janky to some degree. Sly Spy is fun, but non of its various sections are particularly stand-out.
Crude Buster feels a bit cheap to me occasionally, but it's a decent knockabout. Interestingly, your mention of Night Slashers made me check as I didn't think I'd seen it, and it seems to have vanished from the UK store for some reason.
it290

Post by it290 »

Isn't Nitro Ball on there too? That one's worth it for sure...

Has anyone given 198X a spin? If so, is it any good or is it just a nostalgia cash-in/sloppy mishmash of different game styles?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Marc

Post by Marc »

it290 wrote:Isn't Nitro Ball on there too? That one's worth it for sure...

Has anyone given 198X a spin? If so, is it any good or is it just a nostalgia cash-in/sloppy mishmash of different game styles?
Got my eye on it, but the Eurogamer comments seemed to imply that the 'arcade games' are in fact nothing more than snatches that pop up for a few minutes apiece, and aren't playable in their own right. I mean I wasn't necessarily expecting each to be a full sized game, but it's still somewhat disappointing. One for one of the Switch's many 80-90% off sales I think.

And yeah Nitro Ball is awesome, can't believe I forgot about that.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I finally started playing Link's Awakening remake. I had bought this right after release, but I've been reluctant to start playing, because the original is my favourite Zelda, and I didn't want a less than stellar remake tarnish the memories.

Fortunately, the remake is quite good. The toy-world art style is charming, and the soundtrack is nice. Controls are tight, even though movement feels a bit slower than in the original. Introducing 'real' physics to the game feels weird (most notably in the crane minigame), but doesn‘t exactly hurt the gameplay either. The occasional loading times are the only thing I really dislike. I'm at 5 of the 8 dungeons solved, and I look forward to the rest of the game.

Overall, it‘s a good remake of a very good game.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The only game I own multiple copies of for lots of consoles is Outrun.

SMS - No reason to play it, but I have it.

Coast 2 Coast on PS 2
OutRun 2 on Xbox
Online Arcade on 360 (Last two combined is almost the SP Edition)

3D one on Sega Ages. It's OK.

Picked up a repro of Yu Suzuki's Game Works Vol 1 specifically for OutRun.

Looks fantastic, and has the best thumb stick controls ever in an OutRun game.

Also got around to getting Cannonball. Looks and runs great, but the controls are off at times. Car will significantly move at times when the stick isn't moving (Xbone blue tooth). Might be able to tweak it. If not still fun to have on the go.

Lastly I finally got Coast to Coast on PC through dubious means. Fixed the lens flare, just a few other tweaks and it should be perfect.

EDIT - Hang On is also on the Yu Suzuki disc. I haven't played the arcade game in years and holy shit the sense of speed is amazing. Would have blown me away in 1985 had I known better.
My lord, I have come for you.
it290

Post by it290 »

Have you played the M2 ports? The 3DS port is probably my favorite way to play the game, but the Switch version is phenomenal too.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I unlocked the 'classic' version on Switch. Holy shit, after playing it consistently in 60fps there really is no going back :shock:
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i'm enjoying some Tales of Berseria right now on PS4. i've always liked Tales games but Xillia is the only one that i've finished to completion (left off in the middle of New Game+). honestly, i think i like Xillia more, but i'm really enjoying Berseria. i vastly prefer more actiony RPGs to the more turn-based affair, although turn-based games are great for multitasking :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:I unlocked the 'classic' version on Switch. Holy shit, after playing it consistently in 60fps there really is no going back :shock:
it290 wrote:Have you played the M2 ports? The 3DS port is probably my favorite way to play the game, but the Switch version is phenomenal too.
Ugh. Both damn you and thank you:d I was not aware they existed. Part of me is like "buy" and part of me is like do I need another copy of OutRun?

Which means I'll probably buy it.

I love the DC port because it controls so so well, but it's not 60 fps. Cannonball is 60 fps but it seems I am going to have to learn to live with the car magically changing lanes (not the light drifting that happens normally, whole abrupt lane changes).

I mean 1st world problems.

In other news I got Coast 2 Coast running in 16:9 on my laptop:D Didn't take too much tinkering.

Want to go a tad more research though and make sure I am getting all I can out of the graphics. Any help on this front would be appreciated as my skill set is admittedly limited.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've never actually beaten the original Legend of Zelda despite owning the NES cartridge for approximately forever. I think I remember why I put it down as a kid in the first quest; I got to Level 6 and even with all the heart containers I'd found and running around with the Magical Sword, blue wizzrobes still sucked. Random teleporting, projectile firing, 3 hits to kill even with strongest weapon (one more than blue darknuts). Oof. So far the only time I've had to use the medicines and I had to use both in the dungeon.

I had a way easier time with levels 7 and 8 which consisted of no wizzrobes and mostly boomerang throwers and darknuts respectively.

Managed to find all the heart containers, maxed out and ready to go for level 9. I'm aware I need the Silver Arrow to kill Gannon; is it possible to wander into his room without it by accident, I wonder?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Just finished up Valfaris on the Switch.

I do like the options that having three available weapons at all times give you, and I do like the loop of "kill enemies with melee weapon to generate energy, spend energy to activate shield or fire heavy weapon" with the handgun working as a trusty backup. The stages and environments are cool (though the graphical style can sometimes makes things a bit too hard to to see) and there's tons of bosses, which is always fun.

I'm just kind of disappointed that the game isn't structured as a tight run 'n gun meant to be played in a single sitting but as a longer action game with checkpoints coming in every five minutes and infinite lives to try the next 5-minute section until you get through. Of course longer is a heavily subjective thing here, my playthrough lasted just shy of three hours and there are speedruns of about 100 minutes on Youtube. If the devs added in an "Arcade Mode" that cuts out the fluff (of which there definitely is some, there are 4-5 parts where you need to explore a bit in order to find an item that allows you open the path forward, and many spots where you're "ambushed" and have to kill all the enemies teleporting in to proceed, etc), shortens some sections, tightens things here and there (would probably have to change the weapon upgrade system as well) so the full playtime is somewhere around max. 45 minutes than this could be a game I'd enjoy learning properly, figuring out the best weapons for each stage and boss, and so on. As it is, I feel like I learned the boss fights just enough to barely scrape by once, after which I just saved my progress in the checkpoint and never had to think about it again. I don't really see myself playing the game again.

I think Oniken and Blazing Chrome did this better, they work in both formats. They save your progress so once you've beaten a stage, you don't have to do it again if you don't want to, but you can also easily play the game each time from the start and even practice the stages you've reached as much as you want. Valfaris doesn't really give that option.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I've never actually beaten the original Legend of Zelda despite owning the NES cartridge for approximately forever. I think I remember why I put it down as a kid in the first quest; I got to Level 6 and even with all the heart containers I'd found and running around with the Magical Sword, blue wizzrobes still sucked. Random teleporting, projectile firing, 3 hits to kill even with strongest weapon (one more than blue darknuts). Oof. So far the only time I've had to use the medicines and I had to use both in the dungeon.

I had a way easier time with levels 7 and 8 which consisted of no wizzrobes and mostly boomerang throwers and darknuts respectively.

Managed to find all the heart containers, maxed out and ready to go for level 9. I'm aware I need the Silver Arrow to kill Gannon; is it possible to wander into his room without it by accident, I wonder?
As someone that actually beat Zelda for the first time himself last year, the answer is a resounding yes.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Sadly Cannonball is unplayable for me. The car changing lanes on its own is deal breaker.

Thanks for telling me about the Switch version!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not sure how the port is in that version (I have it, but haven't unlocked it yet), but it's worth mentioning that OutRun2 for Xbox has a port of the original included.
Stevens wrote:Sadly Cannonball is unplayable for me. The car changing lanes on its own is deal breaker.

Thanks for telling me about the Switch version!
Analog support in Cannonball seems to be buggy, at least with a PS4 Dual Shock.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BrianC wrote:Not sure how the port is in that version (I have it, but haven't unlocked it yet), but it's worth mentioning that OutRun2 for Xbox has a port of the original included.

Analog support in Cannonball seems to be buggy, at least with a PS4 Dual Shock.
Yeah it is no better with the Xbone pad.

Strangely enough the port on OutRun 2 has an even worse problem - the car pulls to the right 100% of the time.

Or was it the left?

Switch port it is. At least OutRun 2 C2C on PC is amazing:D
Last edited by Stevens on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Honestly, once you've played the Switch port in 60FPS for any length of time, it's incredibly jarring to go back to the original, and I'm not usually sensitive to this sort of stuff. Plus there's a cool mashup of the three original tunes, plus some other tunes that I never listen to and have no idea where they come from.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Helen's Mysterious Castle
Developer: Satsu

I recently picked this up and it's cool. It's a short doujin JRPG. An initial playthrough should take 4 or 5 hours. You play as an illiterate elf who lives in a small house near some ruins. There's no immediate explanation for what your goals might be or how you should achieve them, so you might as well grab your longbow and start exploring.

Helen's Mysterious Castle's outstanding feature is its unique combat system. All fights are duels. A character's only inherent stat is their HP. Everything else about them, their power, defense, speed, and other qualities are determined by the abilities they use or, in Helen's case, which items she's using. In general, bows are fast, vulnerable, deal moderate damage, and are useful for punishing spellcasters. Swords are strong in both offense and defense, have medium speed, and are good all around. Magic is slow and vulnerable but does high, defense-piercing damage and is best used for punching through shields and armor. There are also shields, healing and support spells, and a bunch of other item types.
Spoiler

There are no random encounters. Instead fights start when you bump into an enemy
There's very little hidden information. You can see what the enemy is doing and they can see what you're doing. Timing is the key to success. In some cases you may find yourself choosing an action not because you want its effect, but because it will delay your next turn until the right moment. You want a shield or at least a sword up when the enemy attacks and you want them as exposed as possible when you attack. A lot of monsters will block if you've got a big attack about to go off, and you can exploit that. Attack with a weapon to pressure them into blocking, then while they're doing that you've got time to start up a spell without worrying about them hitting your lowered defenses. It's also a good idea to cast an attack or healing spell when the enemy is using their own attack spell because your spellcasting defense penalty doesn't matter if you're going to get hit by a defense-ignoring attack.
Spoiler

This griffin is blocking and won't be able to attack for a while. It's a perfect opportunity to cast thunder
You earn experience for winning fights, but rather than raising Helen's level, you use experience points to improve your items. You have the option to grind but it's never a necessity. Inventory space is limited and the items found later in the game tend to be better than ones found earlier, so sometimes you have to choose whether to keep your old +9 broadsword or swap it out for a new +0 dragon sword. The only way you can strengthen Helen herself is by raising her HP, which you can do by beating bosses, eating food, and finding health boosters in pots. There's no real penalty for death, and sometimes you'll even get a meal worth a permanent +1 HP after dying. That isn't as exploitable as it might sound because that 1 HP comes out of what you'd get from the next boss.

The difficulty level is moderate. You have to take most enemies seriously but the game isn't strict about making you use the best possible item sets. The equipment system is very well suited to challenge runs. Lots of interesting builds to try and lots of ways to handicap yourself if it gets too easy. There's even a hidden item available right from the start that reduces your speed. You can level it up to reduce your speed even further.
Spoiler

You can tell by the shadows that there's a hidden passage in the wall to the left
The flaw that stands out to me the most is that defense, stalling tactics, and especially healing are stronger than I'd like them to be. Another is that most enemy blocking abilities are excessively slow. If you have enough attack power to frighten them into defending you can lock them down very easily. I'm not against the idea of scaring enemies into dropping their offense to protect themselves. It's a good concept, it's just that here it's too much. If Helen can block perfectly well in 8 ticks of time then enemies shouldn't need 14.

A few shmup farmers have described Cave Noire as an arcade roguelike. Likewise, Helen's Mysterious Castle isn't far off from something that could work as a coin-op JRPG. It's good fun and very replayable. Highly recommended!

A-

I've got a replay up here.

There's a demo on Playism but it's the untranslated Japanese version. Pretty sloppy! It still works for trying the game out, you can get by without understanding the text, but you may need to change your unicode settings to unzip it. In Windows 10 you can do this by going Control Panel -> Region -> Administrative -> Change System Locale -> Check the box to use Unicode UTF-8. The full version is translated and works fine without doing any of that.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I recall some user on the discord posting a really beautiful track from the game that put it on my radar : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJJAt4cbKM

After reading that little review, I bought Helen's Mysterious Castle on Playism's store (holy shit is it cheap, a bit less than 2€), and will get around to playing it in the future. I like the visuals but wasn't sure about the mechanics. However, your description of the battle system makes it sound very interesting and much more tactical than the usual JRPG attack-attack-attack-heal-attack-attack.

The short length is also a plus. Less risk for bloat and boredom. :mrgreen:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Yeah it's a steal at $2. I think the soundtrack works pretty well, but I'm not sure if any of the music was made for this game. One of the boss fight tracks is also in Demon King Chronicle (another excellent doujin JRPG) so I assume it's either royalty free music or RPG Maker music. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I also picked up my copy on Playism, which means I've got a steam key for which I have no use. Send a PM if one of you want to try this and don't mind a copy bound to steam DRM.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Judgement. It's more Yakuza. Probably take me about four months to finish this, as I'm only managing to get in one proper gaming night per week at the moment.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Vanguard wrote:One of the boss fight tracks is also in Demon King Chronicle (another excellent doujin JRPG)
The watercolour artwork in this is really gorgeous.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Marc wrote:Judgement. It's more Yakuza. Probably take me about four months to finish this, as I'm only managing to get in one proper gaming night per week at the moment.
A buddy has been telling me I really need to play this. Would you say it's pretty much on par with a regular modern Yakuza game?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Marc wrote:Judgement. It's more Yakuza. Probably take me about four months to finish this, as I'm only managing to get in one proper gaming night per week at the moment.
A buddy has been telling me I really need to play this. Would you say it's pretty much on par with a regular modern Yakuza game?
Mechanically definitely. There are only two fighting styles, one for crowds, one for single encounters, which I prefer over some of the more bloated Yakuza games. The plot is a big part of these games for me - I tore though 0 and 6, was mildy invested in Kiwami, and I've abandoned two attempts at Kiwami 2, on that score it's hard to judge after the time I've played.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

While we're on the topic of Yakuza, I just started the "remastered" release of 3; it's the only "main" entry I haven't played in some form (well, except 7, which isn't out here yet), and this version adds the stuff edited out of the original release back in, so it's about time I closed the loop (not that I could honestly recall all of the nutso narratives throughout the series, much less explain them to anyone else, but hey, it's one more excuse to whip some punks and do karaoke).

Just before that, I had a long-delayed go at Remember Me on the PS3; it's a whole lot more style than substance (the movement, combat, and camera are all on the clunky side, and neither the gameplay nor the characters have a whole lot of depth), but I'll be darned if I didn't really dig the style. It reminds me a little of Mirror's Edge, insofar as it embodies the uniquely European vision of dystopia wherein the veneer painted over the rot is more of a threat than the rot itself, but where DICE's game was more about hard lines and bright colors this one has a more intricate and varied aesthetic that I never got tired of even when certain parts of the trip made me grimace. Not exactly a classic, and those not as taken with the presentation as me might not want to bother, but for me it was more than worth a playthrough just for the artistry on display; bit of a shame that Dontnod probably won't revisit it.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The watercolour artwork in this is really gorgeous.
Yeah, everything about the game is nice. I'm gonna edit some pictures into that review. It really ought to have had some from the start.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I just beat the 2003 Fire Emblem, took me about three years of playing mostly while commuting, making it my first video game beaten in the last roughly four years*. Still nothing cleared on my PS3, which is oddly comforting as I feel liberated from desire to buy another games console for years to come.

*) Casual first Super Monkey Ball clear on Beginner every now and then notwithstanding.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

it290

Post by it290 »

Picked up the Bayonetta/Vanquish double pack for PS4. I've played Bayonetta a million times, but I've never had the pleasure of experiencing Vanquish before. This sort of shooter isn't exactly my 'thing' and I'm still learning how to maneuver with agility and grace, but oh my gosh are the mechanics fun. Really looking forward to actually getting good at this thing.