Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Sisters Royal: Switch

Post by hamfighterx »

Reviving this old thread to note that, as reported by Gematsu, Sisters Royale is getting a PS4 port in Japan on January 20, 2020. It's getting both a digital AND a ¥5800 physical release. Xbox One and PC releases to come later.

I somehow missed out on this on initial release on Switch... I like the Shikigami no Shiro games though, so I'm kinda interested.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

hamfighterx wrote:It's getting both a digital AND a ¥5800 physical release. Xbox One and PC releases to come later.
I'm in. I don't mess around with "import" DL games, but a disc is something else altogether.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I'll definitely be grabbing the PC version when it releases! If that includes the DLC stuff (whatever it is) right out of the box the same way Psyvariar Delta's PC version does, that would be even better.

The initial release on the JP Switch eShop seemed to have flown under most people's radar but this definitely looks like Shikigami no Shiro 4 in anything but the name. You have the shikigami attacks, the tension shot system and even an "hyper" reminiscent of Shiki 3's Hi-Tension Maxes. Hopefully more players will pick up this new release.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

PC version, nice! Time to update the thread title? :)
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

M.Knight wrote:The initial release on the JP Switch eShop seemed to have flown under most people's radar but this definitely looks like Shikigami no Shiro 4 in anything but the name.
Not really sure where this Shikigami idea comes from. Have you actually played it? I've had it for like a year on Switch and the game is almost like a clone of Mamoru-kun more than Shikigami, just with an auto-scroll mechanic and less side-to-side scrolling, only vertical.

That said, I would definitely pick this up again on Xbox and possibly PS4 down the line. Game has a nice feel and a pretty balanced difficulty system overall and is probably actually my favorite shmup on Switch that's actually an original game and not a lazy remaster or port from something else (which is about 90% of the shmups on the console.)
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
M.Knight

Re: Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

Post by M.Knight »

The visuals and the art direction kinda look like Mamoru-kun, but from what I've seen (To answer your question, I haven't played it yet), the weapons and scoring mechanics are straight out of the Shikigami series. It makes sense given that the developer is actually Alfa System.

Each character has a standard shot and a focused attack. When grazing a bullet, the shot gets red and more powerful. The focused attacks are more peculiar in how they work and they are all lifted from a Shikigami character. You have Kuga's auto-aiming familiar, Kim's three spinning blades, Sayo's rotating module (except there are two of them now), Emilio's directionnally aimable laser, and Niigi/Nagino's bullet cancelling/reflecting shield.

The multiplier increases when you destroy enemies or collect coins while being close to a bullet, and the standard multiplier can go up to 8 depending on how close to a bullet you are. The base coin value can go up to 10 000 just like in the Shikigami games. Optimal scoring in the game looks like it requires you to continuously be grazing something while destroying as many ennemies as possible with the focused attack which is how it usually works in Shikigami no Shiro.

Aside from the fact that the characters are on foot and can thus be restricted by walls, I can't see any big Mamoru-kun gameplay similarities in there, but maybe I would feel differently after playing it. Is there any equivalent to the curse mechanic in Sisters Royale that I've missed for example?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm just really glad the game isn't stuck on Switch JPN eshop. I would really like to play this, preferably on PC. I can get over the less-than-appealing visual style (for me) if the game has a good core.
MachineAres 1CC wrote:my favorite shmup on Switch that's actually an original game and not a lazy remaster or port from something else (which is about 90% of the shmups on the console.)
Trying actually to suss out how many of these there are. ... The upcoming Radirgy? RXN? Actually, I need to give that game some more time and love.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I could go for some Chibikami no Shiro. One of the character's focus attacks looks like a carbon-copy from a Shikigami character...I forget the name, the one with the swords.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MachineAres 1CC

EmperorIng wrote:I'm just really glad the game isn't stuck on Switch JPN eshop. I would really like to play this, preferably on PC. I can get over the less-than-appealing visual style (for me) if the game has a good core.
MachineAres 1CC wrote:my favorite shmup on Switch that's actually an original game and not a lazy remaster or port from something else (which is about 90% of the shmups on the console.)
Trying actually to suss out how many of these there are. ... The upcoming Radirgy? RXN? Actually, I need to give that game some more time and love.
Since Radirgy isn't actually out yet, I wouldn't say that really counts. RXN and Quad Fighter K are really the only other ones that come to mind. Rolling Gunner and Danmaku Unlimited may count, since they are only available on PC and not any other console at the moment, so that's a little gray area I guess.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I'm just really glad the game isn't stuck on Switch JPN eshop. I would really like to play this, preferably on PC. I can get over the less-than-appealing visual style (for me) if the game has a good core.
Since Radirgy isn't actually out yet, I wouldn't say that really counts. RXN and Quad Fighter K are really the only other ones that come to mind. Rolling Gunner and Danmaku Unlimited may count, since they are only available on PC and not any other console at the moment, so that's a little gray area I guess.
Isn't Rolling Gunner on the Switch by now, though?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Sure is, as well as Danmaku Unlimited 3.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And now that Rolling Gunner is out on the Switch, I’ll get it eventually.
MachineAres 1CC

xxx1993 wrote:Isn't Rolling Gunner on the Switch by now, though?
Great job at not even reading the conversation before jumping into it. As usual.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

No really, it's on the Switch now!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

xxx1993 wrote:No really, it's on the Switch now!
But you didn't take Ares' post seriously. Also, what STG person would even say that. C'mon...They would already know when its out, don't be like that.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well...there it is!
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Will probably cop on Switch. Late 2019/2020 suddenly looking pretty good for shmups.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Quick heads up, the English release is out now for PS4 and Switch. $14 US.

PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... 0000000000
Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... re-switch/
Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Any news on that PC release?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Special World

Post by Special World »

How are people liking this one? Was not too thrilled with Shiki 3 but this game looks like it has a lil moxie.

ED: seems like its about par for Alfa System based on the comments. May give it a pass.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I played a little this morning on the Switch and I love it, despite only getting to level 2. It has TATE, online leaderboards, and some DLC, with more coming seemingly (I'm not sure if this has been covered earlier in this thread). I like it so much I already bought the extra character. Maniac mode seems to be coming and I assume it's DLC. It plays just like Shiki but I'm sure people already know this. After playing Psyvariar, I really wanted a game that has grazing/buzzing and this satisfies that itch. I could never get into Danmaku 3 or figure out how to graze.

Can anyone help me with strategy, specifically should I just be spamming the summon attacks? I definitely have noticed that I get way more points with them. Should I just ignore the basic shot?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks for the impressions! Not liking all that DLC shenanigans but it's good to know we are in familiar territory design-wise and the game plays like Shiki'.
steveovig wrote:Can anyone help me with strategy, specifically should I just be spamming the summon attacks? I definitely have noticed that I get way more points with them. Should I just ignore the basic shot?
If it works like the Shikigami games, you should use the summon attack as much as possible through the game. Enemies killed with this attack will drop more coins.
However, you can weaken a boss with the regular shot as long as you kill its phases with the shikigami. Depending on the character, the shot's powerered-up version can prove to be more effective than the shikigami at inflicting damage on a beefy enemy such as said bosses.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Looking forward to trying this at home later today. I was just playing Shiki 1 casually the other night as a breather.
CStarFlare wrote:Any news on that PC release?
Not that I know, but thankfully Strictly Limited has confirmed a sweet collector's edition for those that can't wait. :wink:
Or rather, those that can. Surely it will be stuffed with a special Sisters Royale body pillow. Or five! Who knows.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

M.Knight wrote:If it works like the Shikigami games, you should use the summon attack as much as possible through the game. Enemies killed with this attack will drop more coins.
However, you can weaken a boss with the regular shot as long as you kill its phases with the shikigami. Depending on the character, the shot's powerered-up version can prove to be more effective than the shikigami at inflicting damage on a beefy enemy such as said bosses.
Yes that seems to be the case here. Pick a bullet, hug it like your waifu, but not too close because she's a crazy trash waifu, and roll in those x8 with the shiki attack. Bosses only need to land the finishing blow on each life bar with the shiki.

So stage 2 has ice patches, and stage 3 has wind fans, both do dumb things with your movement. Thankfully the enemy patterns on these part aren't too bad even on hard, so once you know about it you'll probably never get hit there again. I give it a pass (shrug).

Overall feels pretty newbie friendly as well, or at least I'm getting further than I normally do in a Shiki game. Seems decent so far once you get the quirks figured out.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

the x8 Tension bonus that produces more coins with the Summon attack ALSO seems to apply, separately, to the value of the coins when actually collected.

there's also hidden fairies that trigger a double-multiplier mode but idk what triggers them
i'm guessing they're hidden in spots on the level (and in boss arena's?) because i found a lot more of them with Tornado Girl* than the others
*btw is this like the only new shot/sub-shot type in the game, or was there a character in CoS 1 or 2 with this?
steveovig wrote:Maniac mode seems to be coming and I assume it's DLC.
i'm not sure if you're confused or i'm confused here, but there already is a Maniac menu in the Options that is basically a set of dipswitches for things like bullet speed and TBS range etc
Last edited by mamboFoxtrot on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Strictly Limited Games announced they're doing physical English versions.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Those ice/wind gimmicks seem pretty weird, I'll have to play Sisters Royale myself to see if they interefere with the game that much. Shiki 3 had the lanterns in Stage 3 that you have to hit to reveal hidden walls but that never interfered with your movement (and you could technically still see said walls even without activating the lanterns, there are just very transparent). It's odd to have those in a game where you graze bullets so closely but maybe you can route around those obstacles?

The coin value can also get increased by the graze multiplier, true. And the base value of a coin in Shiki games starts at 10, increases for every coin collected up to 10k. It only resets if you lose a life.

Is the tornado girl the one with two spinning familiars around her? There was Sayo Yuuki's spinning bird in Shiki 1 and 2 that plays rather similarly, and Batu Harai in Shiki 3 also has a spinning shot (This one you have to charge it and there's some weird charge tricks to keep it up continuously but it's virtually similar) Incidentally this shiki type is the highest scoring one in the Shiki games, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be #1 here again.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Koa Zo wrote:Strictly Limited Games announced they're doing physical English versions.
If you do import the game from Japan it has full english translation for menus and story. I believe Amazon JP are throwing in a soundtrack, dlc code and an artbook. The SLG version will undoubtably be a nice set but will be 4-5 months before its despatched.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:there's also hidden fairies that trigger a double-multiplier mode but idk what triggers them
This is from the game description on play-asia: "once the TBS has multiplied by two within a certain time, Secret Fairies will be hidden somewhere in stages for you to find."

So I guess you just have to maintain multiplier for a bit? That makes sense as I was finding tons of fairies once I started bullet hugging with shiki attacks more (I should clarify this was with fidget spinner girl).
Last edited by Jeneki on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.