gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
redhotsonic

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by redhotsonic »

Hi, sorry for the lack of pictures. I've got a few here (spoilered due to the size of these images). I would have posted a video but I have my daughter right now and I doubt you want to hear "Baby Shark" in the background =P

So, this is with the composite cable from the ZX Spectrum 48k into the gcompsw input and another composite cable from the output of the gcompsw and into the back of my PVM.
Spoiler

In the first picture of my PVM, you can see the "1982 Sinclair" text, but like I said, this white bar is going up-right at a rapid pace.

If I plug the ZX directly into my PVM with either composite cable, bypassing the gcompsw:
Spoiler

As for the LED light on the gcompsw, it never blinked when turning on the ZX, neither does it blink while it's on. It says solid-lit whether composite is plugged in, on, etc.

If it's a power issue for the gcompsw, then surely I would get issues with component but it works perfectly fine as demonstrated with my PS2 here (and it will also output to my FM simultaneously)
Spoiler

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!
superg

Post by superg »

redhotsonic wrote: As for the LED light on the gcompsw, it never blinked when turning on the ZX, neither does it blink while it's on. It says solid-lit whether composite is plugged in, on, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!
That explains it, if there is no quick blink when you insert spectrum RCA, the switch is having trouble to detect the signal. So it's not a forwarding issue but a detection issue. But unfortunately I can't say much without seeing the signal on the scope. If sync amplitude is too low or some other deviation from the standard, it's not going to be detected. Most likely mod is not up to the spec, etc.
superg

Post by superg »

redhotsonic wrote: Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!
Now that I thought more about it, try this:
Connect yellow spectrum RCA to any input port, connect some working component source to the same port. Turn on that component source so it gets detected, switch PVM to composite input and check if you see your spectrum forwarded. Kind of workaround :)
redhotsonic

Post by redhotsonic »

Okay, so I plugged the ZX via composite into the same input as my PS2, and then composite into the PVM via the same output as instructed. Turned my PS2 on, then the ZX, then I switched the PVM to Line A (composite).

SUCCESS! I now have a picture via the gcompsw.

As soon as I turn my PS2 off, yeah, the signal shenanigans occur. Turn my PS2 back on again, and the composite signal comes back! This method also works with my SG-1000. I changed the composite output on he gcompsw from 1 to 2 and it still works.

So, for now, I have to have a component device on at the same time in the same input for composite to work. I guess that's better than no signal, but any way around this? I did guess maybe the console hadn't been "properly modified" but both consoles? I guess I have to find another composite device to be certain.

Thanks! :)
superg

Post by superg »

redhotsonic wrote:Okay, so I plugged the ZX via composite into the same input as my PS2, and then composite into the PVM via the same output as instructed. Turned my PS2 on, then the ZX, then I switched the PVM to Line A (composite).

SUCCESS! I now have a picture via the gcompsw.

As soon as I turn my PS2 off, yeah, the signal shenanigans occur. Turn my PS2 back on again, and the composite signal comes back! This method also works with my SG-1000. I changed the composite output on he gcompsw from 1 to 2 and it still works.

So, for now, I have to have a component device on at the same time in the same input for composite to work. I guess that's better than no signal, but any way around this? I did guess maybe the console hadn't been "properly modified" but both consoles? I guess I have to find another composite device to be certain.

Thanks! :)
Something deviates from standard in those two consoles that you own. From my experience a lot of people are using composite RCA for Atari's, unmodded NES and other less common stuff.
redhotsonic

Post by redhotsonic »

Okie dokie. In the next couple of days, I will try to find another composite device (an unmodded one) and try again. Worse case scenario, my PS2 has to be on at the same time, haha!

Thanks for all of your advice!
watsu

Post by watsu »

Hello. I have a question.
I have just pre-ordered gscartsw two days ago (or to be precise - my wife has). As the devices are still out of stock, is it possible to get JP21 version instead of SCART one? And if not, what would be the best way to connect jp consoles to standard gscart switch? Would it be enough to just plug them to the switch using european RGB-SCART cables?

The thing is I did not realize there is a difference between SCART and JP21 standards (Yes, I know. Sorry for my indolence).
All of my consoles are japanese and I want to connect them to Framemeister via gscart switch.

Thanks!
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

watsu wrote:Hello. I have a question.
I have just pre-ordered gscartsw two days ago (or to be precise - my wife has). As the devices are still out of stock, is it possible to get JP21 version instead of SCART one? And if not, what would be the best way to connect jp consoles to standard gscart switch?
The origin of the game console is not important. The A/V cable is what makes the difference between Euro SCART and JP21.
watsu wrote:Would it be enough to just plug them to the switch using european RGB-SCART cables?
Yes that is all you need to do.
watsu wrote:The thing is I did not realize there is a difference between SCART and JP21 standards (Yes, I know. Sorry for my indolence).
All of my consoles are japanese and I want to connect them to Framemeister via gscart switch.
Do you already have JP21 cables for your consoles?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
watsu

Post by watsu »

Thanks a lot.
It’s good to hear that as it seems my problem has been solved.
I was about to buy the cables so I’ll just have the European ones instead. :D
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:Thanks a lot.
It’s good to hear that as it seems my problem has been solved.
I was about to buy the cables so I’ll just have the European ones instead. :D
Yeah, I don't make the JP21 switch version anymore.
Both gcompsw and gscartsw switches are here, I'm waiting for the cases to arrive and I start shipping.
watsu

Post by watsu »

superg wrote: Both gcompsw and gscartsw switches are here, I'm waiting for the cases to arrive and I start shipping.
Now this is what you call good news! Awesome!
Cant't wait to get my hands on it. I'm sure it will make a hell of a difference to my setup.
Thanks!
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

superg wrote: Yeah, I don't make the JP21 switch version anymore.
Both gcompsw and gscartsw switches are here, I'm waiting for the cases to arrive and I start shipping.
So I just ordered a gscartsw and didn't get an order number or anything from the site. Is that normal? I didn't see it mentioned on the site or on the first comment in this thread. Also, the current batch that came in, would that cover an order placed today, or are they already all claimed?
superg

Post by superg »

jamon1567 wrote: So I just ordered a gscartsw and didn't get an order number or anything from the site. Is that normal? I didn't see it mentioned on the site or on the first comment in this thread. Also, the current batch that came in, would that cover an order placed today, or are they already all claimed?
If you see a paypal transaction, the order went through. Most likely your unit will be covered by this batch.
jamon1567

Post by jamon1567 »

superg wrote:
jamon1567 wrote: So I just ordered a gscartsw and didn't get an order number or anything from the site. Is that normal? I didn't see it mentioned on the site or on the first comment in this thread. Also, the current batch that came in, would that cover an order placed today, or are they already all claimed?
If you see a paypal transaction, the order went through. Most likely your unit will be covered by this batch.
Excellent news! Thanks so much!
superg

Post by superg »

jamon1567 wrote: Excellent news! Thanks so much!
It's just I didn't have much time to update store information and the 1st post, they are still listed as out of stock. Technically this is correct as case parts aren't here yet but those who follow the thread have seen that the boards are already here :)
watsu

Post by watsu »

If I may, I would like to ask one more question.
I don't know if it will work or not, but apart from retro consoles I would like to plug my A1200 to gscart. But at the same time, I don't want to loose its connection to the monitor I'm currently using. The thing is the monitor has only VGA input slot (BenQ BL702AE). Is it possible to make use of the second SCART output of gscart switch and connect it somehow to this monitor? And if so, would I need somehing like SyncStrip to do so?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. Any advice will be appreciated.
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:If I may, I would like to ask one more question.
I don't know if it will work or not, but apart from retro consoles I would like to plug my A1200 to gscart. But at the same time, I don't want to loose its connection to the monitor I'm currently using. The thing is the monitor has only VGA input slot (BenQ BL702AE). Is it possible to make use of the second SCART output of gscart switch and connect it somehow to this monitor? And if so, would I need somehing like SyncStrip to do so?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. Any advice will be appreciated.
If you monitor supports CSYNC (composite sync on one pin), you will need just a passive cable from SCART to VGA. If it doesn't, you will need a CSYNC->HVSYNC converter, I'm not sure what people currently use. At some point I used Micomsoft XSYNC-1.
parodius

Post by parodius »

superg wrote:If you monitor supports CSYNC (composite sync on one pin), you will need just a passive cable from SCART to VGA. If it doesn't, you will need a CSYNC->HVSYNC converter, I'm not sure what people currently use. At some point I used Micomsoft XSYNC-1.
Sync Strike comes to mind. Scart in, DB15 HVSYNC out.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

parodius wrote:
superg wrote:If you monitor supports CSYNC (composite sync on one pin), you will need just a passive cable from SCART to VGA. If it doesn't, you will need a CSYNC->HVSYNC converter, I'm not sure what people currently use. At some point I used Micomsoft XSYNC-1.
Sync Strike comes to mind. Scart in, DB15 HVSYNC out.
If the monitor requires RGBHV, and the A1200 outputs clean composite sync, then you can use an Extron RGB interface, but that would also require a male SCART to male DE-15 adapter to connect the gscartsw to the RGB interface, and then a male BNC to female[?] DE-15 adapter to connect the RGB interface to the monitor (can't use the DE-15 output on the RGB interface, since that's just a passthrough of the source).
watsu

Post by watsu »

Thank you.
I think I’ll just give it a shot by connecting the devices directly with
a SCART -> VGA cable. If it does the job - good, if not - there is always SyncStrike option.
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:Thank you.
I think I’ll just give it a shot by connecting the devices directly with
a SCART -> VGA cable. If it does the job - good, if not - there is always SyncStrike option.
Make sure you get the right cable, don't get a random one from eBay. Check retro-access, they can make one for you.
superg

Post by superg »

All gcompsw's are shipped and will be dropped off tomorrow.
I start shipping gscartsw's tomorrow.
Everything is in stock.
howthegodschill

Post by howthegodschill »

Just put my order in, hopefully I got in on time!
Either way, I'm super excited.
watsu

Post by watsu »

I have one more question concerning the cables.
I want to go with CSYNC on my SNES (SF) and Sync-on-luma on PS, PS2 and Saturn (gscart will be connected to Framemeister).
In such case should I turn on sync-regen every time I play SNES,
or am I missing something?
I know similar questions have been already answered several times on this thread
but because the cables are quite expensive I just want to be sure.
Thanks.
Lord Arse!

Post by Lord Arse! »

superg wrote:All gcompsw's are shipped and will be dropped off tomorrow.
I start shipping gscartsw's tomorrow.
Everything is in stock.
Awesome! Hopefully, I made the cut!
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:I have one more question concerning the cables.
I want to go with CSYNC on my SNES (SF) and Sync-on-luma on PS, PS2 and Saturn (gscart will be connected to Framemeister).
In such case should I turn on sync-regen every time I play SNES,
or am I missing something?
I know similar questions have been already answered several times on this thread
but because the cables are quite expensive I just want to be sure.
Thanks.
You don't usually need sync regeneration, only when you know you need it for some monitors which require clean sync or you have some non standard cables / non compliant mods. Sync regeneration option doesn't depend on CSYNC / non CSYNC cable if that is your question.
superg

Post by superg »

All gscartsw switches (except one) were dropped off today. The remaining one will be dropped off tomorrow :)
Everything is in stock.
watsu

Post by watsu »

I just got the mail from paypall saying my gscart has been refunded...
I wonder what might have happened? I thought I will get an email on tracking info. :cry:
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:I just got the mail from paypall saying my gscart has been refunded...
I wonder what might have happened? I thought I will get an email on tracking info. :cry:
Oh, so that was you. I specified a reason for that, your address is in Japanese and USPS refuses to ship to such addresses. Change your address and make an order again. Use latin.
watsu

Post by watsu »

Oh! Got it! I thought it might have been the reason.
Will reorder as soon as I get home. hope the gscart will still be available 8)
Thanks!

Ok. I made an order once again. This time I placed my own name (instead of my wife’s) into the shipping adress. Sorry for inconvenience.
Last edited by watsu on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.