GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SuperSpongo

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by SuperSpongo »

Regarding the wire-pin-lifting method: I can see it working beautifully on a corner pin, how hard is it to do on a pin somewhere in the middle? Do you have some tips as to how to get the wire out again? I how that makes sense :mrgreen:
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

rama wrote:SCART uses the Composite Video pin (normally the yellow plug) for sync.
This signal needs to go to the GBS "S" or "HS" pin (either is fine, they're the same).

If you still use the syncstripper, don't connect its VSync output.
Just connect its CSync to the "S" or "HS" pins.

And don't forget to set the option in the PS2 system menu, or else it'll never work ;p

Hello again, I redid my wiring and I'm getting an rgb signal but the screen is blue. Yes the RGB video output is set in the ps2 browser. I think it's an issue with the color pot mod I did. I might have done it wrong. Can you check?
https://imgur.com/a/sWLa0q8
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yes you did it wrong.

To get the wire around any pin you would bend it into a small hook and pull it thru with tweezers or something, use your imagination :)
rama

Post by rama »

NoAffinity:
The stuff near CLK2 is just the ground and 3.3V wires. The parts are all original to the addon PCB.
I feed 3.3V at the output of the addon boards voltage regulator.
There is no pad for this, so I soldered onto the cap.

Here is how I handle SCL, SDA. You could also solder onto your existing SCL/SDA wires to your ESP8266, since I2C is a shared bus.

cryptblood1986:
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

https://imgur.com/a/cDqZx3i
Did the adjustment, now it shows some image. The screen is dark blue-ish and some times flickers. Hooked up the grey wire to scart pin 20 but I've officially given up haha. I'll just go back to component signal.
Last edited by cryptblood1986 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rama

Post by rama »

That's okay. Component is great for the PS2.

But could you please edit your post and remove the quote?
The quoted pictures are quite large ;p
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Thanks for the insight, rama. Getting my parts on weds, looking forward to further improvements to this great project.

Btw, i added the 10uf recommended caps, and no major improvement on this newer board. Any other suggestions for getting rid of the waviness in the image?

And, how did you guys not know about the wire trick? :p. Just a word to the wise, it is good for individual pins but dont bother trying it for many-leg component removal. I have a handful of service manuals for things like stereo receivers that give instructions on using the wire trick for removing ic's and such. You end up with mangled ic's and butchered boards. :( (an inexpensive hot air station is a great tool to have in your toolbox ;) )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just one of those things that slipped by me all this time.

Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to teach an old dog new tricks :lol:

In my defense, I have never seen a console based mod ever suggest using wire to lift a pin.

Its always "Use a fine sewing needle" or something similar.
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

https://imgur.com/a/eSm5W8F

Hello rama, there's a problem using my internal vga modded dreamcast to the gbs. The screen is slightly misaligned horizontally and vertically. I can fix it using the Development HS left function and using the picture up from the picture control. The problem is it won't save my preset and when I re-plug or reset my dreamcast it gives a glitched screen. I would have to reset to default and re-align the picture again. I've linked the vga schematic I used.
Nuck-TH

Post by Nuck-TH »

cryptblood1986 wrote:https://imgur.com/a/eSm5W8F

Hello rama, there's a problem using my internal vga modded dreamcast to the gbs. The screen is slightly misaligned horizontally and vertically. I can fix it using the Development HS left function and using the picture up from the picture control. The problem is it won't save my preset and when I re-plug or reset my dreamcast it gives a glitched screen. I would have to reset to default and re-align the picture again. I've linked the vga schematic I used.
seems like you didn't set SPIFS in arduino ide
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

Okay I'll check it out.

Noticed Flash Size 1mb SPIFFS doesn't show. I'll try to remove all the settings and start from scratch.

Found the issue.
Go to "Tools" > "Board: " > "Boards Manager ...", search for "esp" and install "esp8266 by ESP8266 Community", version 2.5.2 (or newer) (https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino):
^using the latest version doesn't show SPIFFS. Setting it to 2.5.2 worked.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Latest version has renamed them to some other funky stuff, just follow the numbers.
cryptblood1986

Post by cryptblood1986 »

https://imgur.com/a/V6STKnP
Still won't load saved preset.

Strange part is loading and saving presets for component signals doesn't have issues.
rama

Post by rama »

The problem is going to be with the VGA format / having VS + HS.
I have logic in place to allow presets with this, but maybe it's broken now.
I don't test it often.

Edit:
Going to build myself a VGA Playstation, brb :p
dwards

Post by dwards »

Question for all,

I know if we are plugging composite for sync we use a 100ohm resistor across sync and ground for RGBs input. However i have a pre-built sync stripper that is using the standard TTL sync output and adding the recommended resistor in series with the sync line would take away from the convenience of the sync strike. Is there a recommended resistor level across sync and ground I can use to bring the sync strike to proper levels for GBS? I just find it easier to put a resistor between sync and ground rather than going in series with sync line.

Thank you!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

rama wrote:The problem is going to be with the VGA format / having VS + HS.
I have logic in place to allow presets with this, but maybe it's broken now.
I don't test it often.

Edit:
Going to build myself a VGA Playstation, brb :p
As of a couple fw versions ago, presets were not working with vga input. Havent tested in a couple updates.

Shiver_169

Post by Shiver_169 »

Hi people. I Returning to this project and given the excellent new Features I started to try consoles and arrived with my old Dreamcast. And I was surprised that for some reason it is the only console that does not work either by RGBS or RGBHV, either taken from a Scart cable or from a VGA Box, I cannot get it to work. It is rare for me to see this considering that a system as problematic as SNES goes smoothly with this project. As I remember in previous versions everything worked fine but now I only get static and already check the operation of my console and VGA Box when connecting them to a PVM and an old PC monitor via VGA and in these cases everything is going well but in GBS 8200 not It seems to go well.
I await your help or guidance with some special configuration.

Thank you.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Lol read the last few posts.
Rgbhv has issues.

Rgbs should work tho
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

IIRC the last time we had a reversion with RGBHV inputs it was fixed pretty easily. It's just a signal detect thing
rama

Post by rama »

Added some basic support for it now, and fixed an issue with loading any preset if source sync is H+V.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Vga was working just not anything other than pass thru, in my testing. Remember, the 100ohm sync-to-ground resistor is not needed for vga input use. If you have added it, then it needs to be removed.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I could draw a simple comparitor circuit that adds 100 ohm to ground on the sync line if scart blanking 5v is present.

Thoughts??
rama

Post by rama »

Syntax:
Nah, that's kind of a weak fix.
When I build cables or adapters, I don't even route the 5V along. I guess others do the same.

So it's added hardware that relies on the 5V being present to work.

If we're adding stuff, then it's probably better to add an LM1881 with attenuated output.
As long as the LM1881 has 5V supply from somewhere, it should work with any input amplitude and spit out a clean, known amplitude signal.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I hate using sync strippers tho, they always introduce noise from my experience..

Same also, I never route the blanking signal, and have switches installed on all my CRTs to force blanking.
rama

Post by rama »

Yeah. SCART kind of sucks.
There are so many design gotchas in it, not to mention that plug :p

But I wouldn't dismiss the sync stripper, or some similar solution, outright.
If it passes pure HSync, it should work.
The chip would live on the GBS PCB, so I don't see why it should be noisy.
rama

Post by rama »

Another "half idea" :p
The 5725 has 3.3V TTL H/V Sync inputs, where the HSync input is shared with the SOG input that we use.
It's possible to check whether there's a signal on the TTL input. If it is, the signal must be ~2.0V or more (the TTL high level).

So reversely, if there is no signal on the TTL input, yet the SOG works, we can assume a 75Ohm video signal is used for sync, can't we?

Now just have to translate that to a physical action.
I mean, I can spam "install resistor!" to the logs, too :p
Shiver_169

Post by Shiver_169 »

Hi.

My configuration to connect the RGBS signal is through the RGBS connector to the left of the VGA connector since these connectors are easy to find since it is a standard widely used by Jamma wiring, then place the 100 ohms resistor with the idea of not affect the VGA signal since it would use that input for Dreamcast for example. I'm commenting on all this because I don't know if this affects the VGA signal in any way. I have tried almost all my consoles among which are NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Satun, PS1 you are through RGBS Scart and PS2, Wii through Video Components and I have not had any problems except with Dreamcast. Which for some reason is not detected by the GBS8200. I will return to post some pictures of what I get on the screen but basically it is interference or frozen screens since apparently the detection of the video signal is intermittent.

I have ruled out some fault with the console or the wiring since everything works fine. I have tested RGBS on a PVM and VGA on an old CRT monitor and both work without major problem.
rama

Post by rama »

All available connectors (except Component) share the same HSync / CSync pin.
If there's 100 Ohms on one, they all share it.
You need to remove it for VGA.

If just the Dremacast has this issue, and it's connected via RGBS (CSync or some other, single wire sync form), then the problem is probably a gbscontrol sync window setting.
I can't fix that without access to a test console.
tiochico27

Post by tiochico27 »

Shiver_169 wrote:Hi.

My configuration to connect the RGBS signal is through the RGBS connector to the left of the VGA connector since these connectors are easy to find since it is a standard widely used by Jamma wiring, then place the 100 ohms resistor with the idea of not affect the VGA signal since it would use that input for Dreamcast for example. I'm commenting on all this because I don't know if this affects the VGA signal in any way. I have tried almost all my consoles among which are NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Satun, PS1 you are through RGBS Scart and PS2, Wii through Video Components and I have not had any problems except with Dreamcast. Which for some reason is not detected by the GBS8200. I will return to post some pictures of what I get on the screen but basically it is interference or frozen screens since apparently the detection of the video signal is intermittent.

I have ruled out some fault with the console or the wiring since everything works fine. I have tested RGBS on a PVM and VGA on an old CRT monitor and both work without major problem.
I have tested my Dreamcast via RGBs Scart cable and works fine here. No problems at all.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

if you just don't ever use CVBS or luma as a sync source like a true champion then you don't need to worry about any dumb resistors or sync strippers