Satiator - Saturn ODE solution

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RIP-Felix

Re: Satiator - Beta units shipping end of Nov

Post by RIP-Felix »

maxtherabbit wrote:why? are they real life bros or something?
They both create retro gaming tech. I have no reason to believe they collaborate or know each other IRL, but someone "might" assume because Dan's the creator of the badass DCHDMI (among other projects) that it somehow gives him clairvoyance or something...IDK. You know, Hero worship and all that. With great power, comes great responsibility...because there are people out there who don't know how to think for themselves and will trust whatever is said by someone they perceive to be an expert.

I was about to ignore the comment, then I saw who it was from. Then I thought "wow, that's strait fire". Whether he wants that responsibility or not, people see his handle and there is added weight behind the words because of who wrote them. I'm not saying it makes sense, or should be this way, I'm saying it's true.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RIP-Felix wrote: I was about to ignore the comment, then I saw who it was from. Then I thought "wow, that's strait fire". Whether he wants that responsibility or not, people see his handle and there is added weight behind the words because of who wrote them. I'm not saying it makes sense, or should be this way, I'm saying it's true.
if it doesn't make sense, nor should be that way I'm going to choose not to care

I'd recommend others do the same :wink:
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

So, bumping this up. Those of you with units, can you talk about how well/not well they work?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Has a price point been discussed?

If it’s not cheap I see little incentive to buy as I own some kick ass Saturn games already

And when pseudo Saturn came out I “backed up” the rest of my collection.

Same reason I don’t own an SSDS3. Turbo Duo was already an investment.
Copyright 1987
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

XtraSmiley wrote:So, bumping this up. Those of you with units, can you talk about how well/not well they work?
Emerald Nova (DIY Saturn dev) got a beta unit and streamed it in action, I think there's a VOD on Twitch or YouTubez. Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kitty666cats wrote:Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?
Are any of those kinks game compatibility related or just general performance and use?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?
Are any of those kinks game compatibility related or just general performance and use?
I believe a little of column A, little of column B. Whatever issues I heard mentioned, it seemed to be nothing drastic, stuff I'm sure will be squared away by release.

I already have a Phoebe but I will definitely be eagerly waiting to see people's thoughts on the final product
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

https://youtu.be/dt6h122k1VQ?t=61

^Archived stream of someone streaming the beta unit. Haven't watched it all but did hear that there have been updates to the beta firmware. Something about an FMV fix? This guy mentions that "99% of games (US collection?) should load with no problem".
Austin

Post by Austin »

For being in the early beta phase, this thing is looking super solid so far.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Pretty good series of videos from a Beta Tester (ReEnthused Channel)
First look at the Satiator Sega Saturn Flash Cart Beta by Professor Abrasive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digVewVEqGg
We take another look at the Satiator after updating to the newest firmware.
Firmware 73:
Fixes FMV stuttering
Speeds up menu loading when there are lots of files
Adds page switching with shoulder buttons
First attempts at implementing audio indexing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yMWUPr9l8

*someone asked about price, well it hasn't been discussed yet. I believe he wished it to be in the $150 range +/-.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

^Nice, thanks for the links.

Love how neat and easy the 'install' is.
PearlJammzz

Re: Satiator - ODE solution (in Beta)

Post by PearlJammzz »

I really hope we get a nice, fast menu that looks like the BIOS. Something that just fits the Saturn. I love the Everdrives and stuff but the UIs are kind of garbage. SD2SNES, for example, is much nicer to use than a MegaEverdrive due to that.

Regardless, this is shaping up nicely. Glad to see units finally in people's hands and glad to see it working so well.
Greg2600

Re: Satiator - ODE solution (in Beta)

Post by Greg2600 »

PearlJammzz wrote:I really hope we get a nice, fast menu that looks like the BIOS. Something that just fits the Saturn. I love the Everdrives and stuff but the UIs are kind of garbage. SD2SNES, for example, is much nicer to use than a MegaEverdrive due to that.

Regardless, this is shaping up nicely. Glad to see units finally in people's hands and glad to see it working so well.
The menu interface will be open source, so it will just take someone out there with creativity/skill to do it.
Gunstar

Re: Satiator - Saturn ODE solution (in Beta)

Post by Gunstar »

A good overview of the beta from RetroRGB with some info about saving to SD card and multi-disc games
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Courtesy of Sapiens on the RGBoards
Didn't know it was being assembled in the USA. Rip reasonable shipping cost to the EU T_T
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Always great to hear about progress on this one. Maybe eventually he can find a distributor in Europe to make things better for EU buyers.

Fendir, MODE, Satiator... nice to have a lot of options! (there's Phoebe/Rhea too but I see those as outdated now given what we have now). It'll be fun to see some direct comparisons later this year.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Phoebe/Rhea is indeed the most updated of the bunch thanks to being the oldest. That is, I wouldn't expect the compatibility/performance that Deunan's ODE has got until many months in the future (and that's assuming the devs listen, so MODE can already be discarded).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Prof Abrasive said we can expect virtually 100% compatibility from the start in the final release, if I recall correctly.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Oh, come on. Let him tell you how many testers with Japanese knowledge he reached first.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but it sounded like he figured out the Saturn enough to feel confident about it, to the point that accuracy should cover even whacky things done by more obscure titles. I'll give him more benefit of the doubt than to the other ones, at least.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Always great to hear about progress on this one. Maybe eventually he can find a distributor in Europe to make things better for EU buyers.
I approached him right back when the project started and he seemed receptive to this, I love Saturn so obviously I'm up for stocking these.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Case design is finished
Via RetroRGB:
Professor Abrasive wrote:“These are the first samples off the tool – and they’ll be the last. Thanks to the expertise of my US manufacturing partner and the toolmaker, they fit perfectly first time; the tool does not need revision. I’m ordering production parts right now.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

BuckoA51 wrote:
I approached him right back when the project started and he seemed receptive to this, I love Saturn so obviously I'm up for stocking these.
Yeah I must say I have wondered about this, I will import from America but that ends up being nearly twice as much as the cost of the unit in shipping and import tax. I was hoping the likes of Retro Towers in the U.K. would get them in.

I’m not over concerned about price on this one, I don’t have a big Saturn collection but I’ve got some games which fetch a couple of hundred now. I’ll just be selling everything, this will cover the price of the Satiator with a fair bit left over. Nice though it would be, I long ago gave up ideas of having a substantial Saturn collection, the average price of a so-so Japanese shooter is £400.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Appreciate the updates folks on this! Especially the copy/paste from April which was really a thorough update from the Prof but for whatever the reason Retro RGB Bob made it sound kind of moot. Has he confirmed that the final retail product will definitely ship from the USA? I suppose that makes more sense than exporting them to Australia, only to have to be reshipped all over the world. I definitely hate the idea of the grotesque import duties others will have to pay, so hopefully a reseller can get a hold of them. I myself definitely want one, but not being on Patreon, may not be able to get it for awhile. I mean, if he's giving them first crack, there's over 1,250 which would account for that whole run he spoke of in April. I am not sure if he's doing a pre-order either. At least if he did one, and pre-order's sold out immediately as I think they will, he'd order quite a bit more. Versus putting 1100 in stock day one, which the Gen Pop probably won't see.
Listai

Post by Listai »

Greg2600 wrote:Appreciate the updates folks on this! Especially the copy/paste from April which was really a thorough update from the Prof but for whatever the reason Retro RGB Bob made it sound kind of moot.
Yeah - I thought Bob's most recent coverage in the weekly roundup was also sub par. Despite Prof's two most recent updates being incredibly detailed and outlining exactly where the Satiator is the production process Bob's response was basically "I thought these were done already?"
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Six weeks later and still no update on progress on this thing.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Listai wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:Appreciate the updates folks on this! Especially the copy/paste from April which was really a thorough update from the Prof but for whatever the reason Retro RGB Bob made it sound kind of moot.
Yeah - I thought Bob's most recent coverage in the weekly roundup was also sub par. Despite Prof's two most recent updates being incredibly detailed and outlining exactly where the Satiator is the production process Bob's response was basically "I thought these were done already?"
Bob may not be a Patreon donator so he might not know what is going on, or he may know, but since only paying Patreon's are now getting updates, maybe he felt he shouldn't share the info.

Or maybe, despite this big update, no real info is forthcoming, so why stir the pot now...
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

hopefully this will get sold to others than patreons at some point.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

The best strategy if you want the least headache, in terms of continuing support, is to release the Satiator in a finalized state. Prof. Abrasive won't have to make board revisions, issue recalls, accept as many returns, or re-tool the assembly line. This is good for customers too, because it means he can focus more attention on software/firmware support, but more importantly ramping up production without a hitch. This is the worst strategy if you're trying to beat competitors to market, because it takes longer.

Now, if the manufacturing and distribution is ready to go and the software is good enough, then it should be ready for release. With continuing software/firmware support the compatibility could be dialed in afterwards. If He wants the software/firmware at 100% before release, that might be a bit unreasonable and signal he wants to be done with the project and move on with his life. I'm not sure that isn't the case.
Listai

Post by Listai »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Bob may not be a Patreon donator so he might not know what is going on, or he may know, but since only paying Patreon's are now getting updates, maybe he felt he shouldn't share the info.
He was at one stage (he mentioned it in a podcast) so I just assumed that he still is - also the information is already out there and Bob doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that's going to let a paywall get in the way of coverage.
XtraSmiley wrote: Or maybe, despite this big update, no real info is forthcoming, so why stir the pot now...
I'd hardly call the innocuous post I made a month ago pot-stirring.