From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Klatrymadon

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Klatrymadon »

Tonight's KF4 fun:

-I've come to an area with an enormous temple in the centre with many entrances and floors, surrounded by paths that all lead to complex networks of rooms. It's impressively huge, and there are still no loading screens in sight. It feels like a vast expansion of KF2's castle idea, which, along with the returning attack animations and magic, is compounding the vague feeling that it's a kind of remake.

-When certain enemies hit you in this one you get knocked off balance and the controls go all over the place for a second. It's a nice effect and heightens the feeling that you're in a real fight with consequences (which is arguably a much-needed injection of contingency and depth for KF combat). Also, it reminds me of those joker power-ups that reverse the directions for a while in older games.

-Bastard swords in the PAL version are called "Bugger Blades", there's an ordinary mace in a shop called "Ultimate Spike", and there's a hammer called "Fighters' Pounder". All euphemisms.

Edit:

-I realised this has the OG "crestfallen warrior" in its opening village: a guy who feels lousy for letting his group go off fighting without him. He sits on a rock saying things like "I'm such an idiot" and "you can't be anyone important - you wouldn't be here".

-There's a gloriously well-timed sequence involving your arrival at a new area. Most of the game is murky and drab, but there's a really beautiful bit where, after you've been trudging around this seemingly endless subterranean network of Ghormenghast-esque stone rooms and tunnels, half the time in inky darkness, you emerge into a lush and serene forest. It's a hell of a feat to make such an area feel fresh and exciting again. There's a palpable feeling of coming up for air when you get there.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Klatrymadon wrote:-Bastard swords in the PAL version are called "Bugger Blades"
Oh dear. :shock: Somebody 'avin a larf? Or just bowdlerisation gone grotesquely wrong? :lol:

Wait a minute. :idea:
Spoiler
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hmm..thought I posted this already? Guess not.

Sexxxiro
Spoiler
NG+ SS down on third try. First time I got to phase three I was able to kill him.

Went with Purification ending. Sad but noble.

Started NG+2, being super aggressive and murdering motherfuckers left and right. Gyubou 3-0. Killed LB on my first try along with every mini boss up to the guy on the castle stairs. He took two or three tries as his friends were less than thrilled with me being there. I basically always have an ako's and confetti active.

Left off in the upper ante chamber. Genichiro next.
My lord, I have come for you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stevens wrote:Hmm..thought I posted this already? Guess not.

Sexxxiro
Spoiler
NG+ SS down on third try. First time I got to phase three I was able to kill him.

Went with Purification ending. Sad but noble.

Started NG+2, being super aggressive and murdering motherfuckers left and right. Gyubou 3-0. Killed LB on my first try along with every mini boss up to the guy on the castle stairs. He took two or three tries as his friends were less than thrilled with me being there. I basically always have an ako's and confetti active.

Left off in the upper ante chamber. Genichiro next.
EDIT - Not interested in speed running, but am interested in killing all bosses and minis (well almost all of them) as fast as possible. So sort of speed running?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i haven't played sekiro too much the last few nights, basically made no progress.
Spoiler
the fight against the spear guy and the katana guy in the reservoir feels pretty rough. fighting two aggressive enemies at the same time who both have insanely long range is no joke. this feels harder than the double ape fight to me. i have managed to cheese it a couple of times. i've at different times made both of them fall off the ledge by grappling to the tree branch and having them spring to their doom. i was pretty disappointed that it didn't count as killing the spear guy as it only took one death mark. i've also tried starting the fight by deathblowing the ashina soldier on the ground and using the blood stealth to try and get a deathblow on the katana guy, but haven't pulled it off yet.

i fought genichiro and killed him after a couple of tries. i was a little disappointed that he wasn't tougher after how much i enjoyed learning the previous fight with him. i only fought the sword saint once, so i'm not sure if you need to fight genichiro first each time or not.

i've had a pretty good explore round the areas where i needed to re-find the idols. killed the miniboss in the serpent shrine, and the one on the other side of the bridge.

the sculptor is now a shura demon -_-; i fought him a few times. sprinting around like mad is my current strategy and i've managed to get him to his second phase a few times.
i like how the
Spoiler
demon of hatred
has a furry dong for you to wail on.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Klatrymadon wrote:-When certain enemies hit you in this one you get knocked off balance and the controls go all over the place for a second. It's a nice effect and heightens the feeling that you're in a real fight with consequences (which is arguably a much-needed injection of contingency and depth for KF combat). Also, it reminds me of those joker power-ups that reverse the directions for a while in older games.
I don't suppose anyone remembers what influences staggering/stun in this game? At first I thought the above was just a unique quality of certain attacks, but now I'm being knocked back and to one side (pointing me away from the target) whenever I get hit. I've tried changing my equipment to see if there's any equivalent to "poise" at work but there doesn't seem to be...

Edit: I think it's just someone having a laugh, BIL! It's amazing how many localisation differences there are between the US and PAL versions, btw. There's surprisingly little shared; the names of items, keys, NPCs, and weapons very often differ. It happened a lot in Demon's too, and it's probably just down to the two publishers having no contact with each other, but it's still intriguing.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have quite a few games to get back to and beat, after taking a break. However, I would like to get back to Sekiro. I gave up trying to finish New Game Plus, due to Isshin Sword Saint. I dread trying again, because I'll be so rusty. I'll have to go around and kill some fools first. They went way too far with him, IMHO.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Working on a commentated playthru of Lost Kingdoms.
It's co-comms with a friend watching my replay cause i couldn't stream to him without hitches..

However i might just do the rest talking to myself while i'm playing although fuck me that's difficult not to sound like i'm falling asleep or have things to say.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

only the sword saint remains now.

the demon of hatred was a bit of a boring* fight imo, no real need for it to be 3 phases. it reminded me quite a bit of the manus fight, or maybe learning manus at sl1. his attacks all have pretty big tells, so once you figure out how to deal with each attack it's not that hard to avoid getting hit and get in damage of your own, it just takes a long time.

is it possible to max out your prayer necklaces in one playthrough? i'm currently sitting at 9 and i feel like i've really explored everywhere and killed everything (except all the headless guys). no idea where the remaining 4 beads could be...

i also have not figured out what to do with the precious bait.... there is a really annoying item on a roof in fountain head palace that i cannot figure out how to get. i suspect this might be linked.

*probably a bit too strong of a word for how i found it...
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Immryr wrote:only the sword saint remains now.

the demon of hatred was a bit of a boring* fight imo, no real need for it to be 3 phases. it reminded me quite a bit of the manus fight, or maybe learning manus at sl1. his attacks all have pretty big tells, so once you figure out how to deal with each attack it's not that hard to avoid getting hit and get in damage of your own, it just takes a long time.

is it possible to max out your prayer necklaces in one playthrough? i'm currently sitting at 9 and i feel like i've really explored everywhere and killed everything (except all the headless guys). no idea where the remaining 4 beads could be...

i also have not figured out what to do with the precious bait.... there is a really annoying item on a roof in fountain head palace that i cannot figure out how to get. i suspect this might be linked.

*probably a bit too strong of a word for how i found it...
Some of the prayer beads disappear after certain times in the run, in general you don't need all the upgrades to finish the game handily and personally i filled out my health bar in NG+.

Regarding the Demon of Hatred I agree it basically overstays it's welcome. It's harder than Sword Saint in my opinion as you can make mistakes against Sword Saint and live, where as Demon of Hatred can 1-shot you with a number of it's attacks. You can break the fight with one of the Finger Whistle upgrades that stuns it, but it is really far through the upgrades tree and it takes a long time to get to it, just for a few fights where it is useful.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I spend most of the fight in free cam sprinting under/round its attacks and just wailing on one of its legs.
Yeah the fight fucking sucks.

It was burned into my brain so much however since the first time I fought it early 2019 that when i fought it again this year I still remembered everything and it went down easy.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

NG+2 back to
Spoiler
Great Shinobi Owl

Other than the odd death here and there its been smooth sailing. Something I noticed that I thought was cool - in my other two play throughs I went to the depths prior to fighting the 1st Guardian Ape. This time I went after cutting his head off and it was different - the lean to's were smashed and the Okami enemies were both different and one was patrolling. Small touch but very cool.

I may have not noticed it too since I approached ape from the other side previously.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Been playing Sekiro again...
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I started a new game, myself. I realized I never tried playing through with the charm & bell debuffs together. Still in the early game.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i recently got a PS4 and my partner picked up a copy of Dark Souls 3 so i've been playing through that again. i also thought about breaking out Dark Souls Remastered on my XB1 again just to screw around with the extremely galaxy brain build that i saw during AGDQ. i literally screamed in my livingroom when i saw the runner use Rapier attacks with the Dragon Tooth and melt every enemy and boss almost instantly LOL
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ooh.. moveset swapping?
This is black magic indeed, I don't know if my fanboy ass approves.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

DS has a moveset swap glitch? Hah. Reminds me of Bayonetta's Switch release, there's a bug specific to it involving using the touchscreen when switching weapons, where you can weapon swap movesets around. Several swaps crash the game when used, but the most ridiculously powerful of them does not, where you use the rocket launchers (Kilgore) in your hands with the moveset of your handguns (Scarborough Fair). You can rapid fire rockets and mow down enemies with em using Bullet Climaxes.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, it's not too hard to do moveswap in dark souls. i'm pretty sure it doesn't work in the remastered version though.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

Immryr wrote:yeah, it's not too hard to do moveswap in dark souls. i'm pretty sure it doesn't work in the remastered version though.
if i remember correctly, doing moveset swap in DS:R requires frame perfect execution
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Almost finished with NG+2
Spoiler
Got passed Owl Father and True Monk. Fun fact - I am trying new shit out. Didn't really use shurikens too much before the last bit of game. As far as arts go I love the Ashina Cross, Ichi, and EMD obviously. Shadowfall is the last one that I have to earn.

Also used the flame vent on my return to Hirata, it is satisfyingly evil to roast motherfuckers with that thing.

That said Owl took me two or three tries to down so not too bad. Monk on the other hand took more, but only cause I love the fight and wanted to no miss it.

Seriously need that boss rush mod, but not till I finish this run. Anyone have any experience with it?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i've been playing NG+ a bit and then i suddenly thought "there must be more than two ninjitsu skills" so i looked it up. apparently you get the third one for
Spoiler
killing the headless ape
however, i killed him in NG, but i don't have the skill.... hmm....
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Immryr wrote:i've been playing NG+ a bit and then i suddenly thought "there must be more than two ninjitsu skills" so i looked it up. apparently you get the third one for
Spoiler
killing the headless ape
Are you sure you killed him?

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying Sekiro, nice to sink hours into a game others are also enjoying. If I had to guess I would say I've doubled my Bloodborne play time.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sekiro is an amazing game. I likely won't approach my time in Bloodborne but that's okay. I've got hundreds of hours in BB.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Stevens wrote:
Immryr wrote:i've been playing NG+ a bit and then i suddenly thought "there must be more than two ninjitsu skills" so i looked it up. apparently you get the third one for
Spoiler
killing the headless ape

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying Sekiro, nice to sink hours into a game others are also enjoying. If I had to guess I would say I've doubled my Bloodborne play time.
yep, the single fight and the double fight.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yo

Lost Kingdoms pt.1 is up.
Intro stage and the next 3.

https://youtu.be/E9NK2lVAHKE

I don't have much time to waffle about it now, only wanna add that i've wanted to do a full playthrough of this for time!
Check it out if you're interested boys and girls.

One quote that sums up some Lost Kingdoms situations.

Code: Select all

Jiffy:What happened there? 
Blinge: I used Pineapple Boy
Jiffy: Oh did you? I just saw everything die. 
Blinge: Exactly. 
Last edited by Blinge on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Immryr wrote:
Stevens wrote:
Spoiler
killing the headless ape

yep, the single fight and the double fight.
Strange. The art is cool as it
Spoiler
will chip vitally through block and is great for groups of enemies but divine confetti is generally my go to since I have a shit ton of it and it doesn't cost seven spirit emblems.
Spoiler
I'm at the endgame in NG +2. Demon, Seven Spears, and SS are left.
I downloaded the enemies die twice mod and added one DB marker to every enemy, but since it only adds one regular zako aren't affected. Mini and bosses get an extra life bar.
Spoiler
I killed Red Guard and it definitely made it more fun and didn't overstay his welcome. I probably won't be killing DOH but I still may try.

EDIT - Yeah fuck that shit. Just watched someone fight DOH again. I'll be turning said mod off for him.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Blinge wrote:How DSP feels about Guardian Ape

https://youtu.be/LGY8_odlgyA?t=21360
(timestamped)
A truly broken man. Loooooool.

This guy has to be running a gag or something I stg. Blames the game for everything, claims the controller didn't do what he did, just amazing.
Blinge wrote:I WAS BLAWWKINGGG, LOOK!!!
*shows his finger on the button after death*
SEE!!

beyond retardé
DONT BULLY DSP :[
Spoiler
HE GON LOSE HE HOUSE :shock: (BUGGED MORTGAGE MECHANICS >:[ )
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

lmfao I really hope that shot is real.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I still don't own a PS4 and all I want to do is play Sekiro. This thread tortures me. Carry on.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:lmfao I really hope that shot is real.
It is :lol: Image