My game industry comic is now available in english

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MJR

My game industry comic is now available in english

Post by MJR »

Quick plug if you don't mind - have a look at my satirical graphic novel about game industry. I originally created it during 2008-2013 and it got rather popular, and it was also adapted into mini tv series. I had many requests to translate it in english. But never had the time. I am translating it now, and publishing it in blog form, just like the original.
Please read the FAQ before commenting. I am trying to translate and publish new episode every sunday.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/
__SKYe

Re: My game industry comic is now available in english

Post by __SKYe »

Thanks for the translation, it looks quite fun and I'm looking forward for the subsequent chapters.

P.S. Loved the FAQ. :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Thanks for comments.

New episode in, if you don't mind me posting heads up here.

..in this episode, we are introduced into the weird environment of the Bitwisard studio and it's workers, are explained the nuts and bolts of programming games for the early 90's microcomputer, and we meet the legendary Guru_Neutron, the most capable coder in europe. Enjoy and share.

https://gameindustrycomicgame.files.wor ... ge05-1.jpg

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Haha, I love the mix of excitement at games and game making in general, and the bleakness of the working conditions. Looks like it encapsulates well what's good and not so good about this and many other creative industries. :D
I'll look forward to the rest of the translation!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
MJR

Post by MJR »

Thanks for the positive comments! Will keep you posted on updates.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Please do. I'm having a lot of fun reading this. :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Ok, good, I hope you are prepared for 120+ more pages of misery in the next few months :)
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Looking forward to it. :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Episode 3: Release party (Pages 12-19). Here we learn about what is the crunch period like, witness some office drama, move onto 1995 and see what happens in the Bitwisard game release party.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-12-19/

MJR

Post by MJR »

I have noticed that 9 page episodes are too much for most people to get into during their busy days, so from now on I will slow the publishing rate down to the original schedule, which was 2-4 pages a week. Saves me some stress as translating and retyping and redrawing text and sound effects for 9-10 pages can easily take all my available spare time in one weekend..

In any case, there's only 16 pages to go before story moves on to the UK..
MJR

Post by MJR »

You will probably get fed up with me if I spam this forum every time a new episode comes out, so I added a twitter account you can follow as well, to get the updates.

https://twitter.com/industrycomic
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I don't know about others, but I've no problem with you posting each time an update is available; it's only once a week anyway. Just do what you think is best. :)

I don't have a Twitter account, but I guess now is as good a time as any to register one.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I also added a button for subscribing email alerts, you'll find them at the bottom of the blog, for those of you who don't like using social media ;)
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I ended up just creating a Twitter account after my previous post and subscribed. :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Oops! I apologize for neglecting this thread. In any case, shmups forum brings me more readers than twitter, even more than reddit, so I will post updates for new episodes here in this thread from now on.

So, week ago I started to translate Chapter 2. There will be now new translated episode every sunday.

In this episode, the protagonists are adjusting to life in UK, CAI gets a gig from shady company in london called Necrotime, but even that does not necessarily quarantee any income, and prospect of homelessness in 90's UK is not for the faint of heart.
Episode 11 will be released 27.8.2023

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-42-47/

Please tell about this to everyone if you like this, I need readers

MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 11 of my game industry comic is now out.

This episode, we talk about licensed games and why publisher originally chose to pursue them, and how was day in the life like at 120-people game studio in 1996. Also, CAI has nightmares about the future of his career and Ice Hair pays a surprise visit.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-48-52/

MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 12 of my game industry comic is now live.

In this episode: Interviewing employees of a 1996 game studio; Lope explores his feelings as an artist; CAI struggles with his continuing poverty and deteriorating health; observing Brits and their mild manners (as long as you don't mention football).

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-53-56/

As a side note, panels from this episode were featured on Ars Technica article about amiga game developers back in 2010:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/06/ ... ospective/
MJR

Post by MJR »

I got banned from reddit's r/gamedev for posting links to my Game industry comic, even though it's free to read and probably useful information for all the "I wanna be a game dev" kids there.
Can't help but feel a bit amused! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

MJR wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 am I got banned from reddit's r/gamedev for posting links to my Game industry comic, even though it's free to read and probably useful information for all the "I wanna be a game dev" kids there.
Sounds like you may've hit 'em a bit close to home :cool: :lol:
MJR

Post by MJR »

BIL wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:24 pm
MJR wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 am I got banned from reddit's r/gamedev for posting links to my Game industry comic, even though it's free to read and probably useful information for all the "I wanna be a game dev" kids there.
Sounds like you may've hit 'em a bit close to home :cool: :lol:
Possibly, official reason was "promoting yourself is not allowed", but it's really a moot, since this is an old comic which I completed 10 years ago, and now I am translating it for everyone to read for free, because I believe people might get something out of it. Yes, there are also books available from amazon, but that's because some people always prefer paper / ebook even if free version is available on blog.

I think reddit mods are just being themselves, meaning trigger-happy and power drunk. But no matter, now I can tell the whole world that this is the dangerous comic that r/gamedev does not want you to see! Free promotion on silver platter, thanks, you fools! :lol:
MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 13 of my game industry comic is now out.

This talks about hierarchy in mid-nineties large game dev studio, explaining various roles and their functions; starting from QA tester and up to CEO. Topics also mentioned are pre-rendered FMV (which used to be a thing) and freelancing.

Next episode 17.9.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-57-60/

MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 14 is now online!

This episode has some talk about game designer role, then we visit Rope's Xmas party, and check back to finland for 1996-1997 christmas holidays to see how Bitwisard and Ice Hair are doing.

Next episode 24.9.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-61-65/
MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 15 is now online!

This episode, the documentarists discuss the next step they should take with the documentary, get involved in an office break-up, and spend a night out with Rope CEO Fungus McRule.

Next episode 1.10.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-66-71/
MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 16 is now online. This episode, we talk about company acquisitions, life at Rope after the acquisition by Disdain, "British art style", and the many challenges of emerging 3D game development back in 1997..

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-72-77/
MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 17 is now out.

In this one, Daz challenges CAI into a drinking competition at Ken's leaving party - with disastrous results.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-78-81/
MJR

Post by MJR »

Translated episode 18 is now online.

Here, we visit 1997 ECTS show, witness a quiet week at Rope, and have a candid moment between Disdain CEO and drunk Rope employees:

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-82-87/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even Brits forget their usual mild drinking habits :lol:

Image Image

Ah man. Your stuff reminds me of good ol' Viz (of The Big Hard One and The Bear Trapper's Hat infamy). :cool:

Quite the time capsule, that latest episode. I've not thought of Acclaim in forever, I suddenly realise; after an adolescence full of Turok and Armorines etc, the first thing that comes to mind lately are their Western releases of Rayforce and Darius Gaiden.

Loved the cameo from poster boy of Rock Star Dev hubris, Mr. Suck It Down himself. :lol: I wish I could find film of that early-00s E3 presentation he did for Nokia... I vividly recall the photos and EDGE writeup of poor Johnny Boy nervously skittering around their 6'3 nordic chair-valkyrie, flogging god knows what abomination for the dread silver taco.
MJR

Post by MJR »

BIL wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:18 pm Even Brits forget their usual mild drinking habits :lol:

Image Image

Ah man. Your stuff reminds me of good ol' Viz (of The Big Hard One and The Wizard's Sleeve infamy). :cool:

Quite the time capsule, that latest episode. I've not thought of Acclaim in forever, I suddenly realise; after an adolescence full of Turok and Armorines etc, the first thing that comes to mind lately are their Western releases of Rayforce and Darius Gaiden.

Loved the cameo from poster boy of Rock Star Dev hubris, Mr. Suck It Down himself. :lol: I wish I could find film of that early-00s E3 presentation he did for Nokia... I vividly recall the photos and EDGE writeup of poor Johnny Boy nervously skittering around their 6'3 nordic chair-valkyrie, flogging god knows what abomination for the dread silver taco.
Thanks for the comments, nice to know that someone reads it, so I dont spend all those hours for nothing :)
As for "Mr. Suck it down".. I don't think that the (fictional) person you mentioned has even appeared yet, not even for a cameo. But he will appear in full, in the next chapter - and that chapter begins right after the next episode, where chapter 2 ends. There will be a whole episode inspired by "that guy" in the near future.. you will definitely know it when you see it :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Oh wait, now I get it, BIL.. you were, of course, referring to the title/background screen at the homepage of the blog where he does indeed appear.
The thing is, the title screen is actually an excerpt for the title for chapter 3 - all the characters you see on this title page will appear on Chapter 3. It just happened to be the most suitable image for the homepage, so I used it :) Sorry for the confusion :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent choice of title image, everybody loves that guy one way or another :mrgreen: