Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Randorama

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Randorama »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
I myself wasn't aware of the "1-credit rule" until I read the article by that guy we don't like to talk about.
I would personally call it the "1-credit philosophy", or maybe "ethos"? "approach"? yes, semantics shmemantics, but I generally tend to think that rules involve consequences if you infringe them, e.g. rules in sports.

As a kid growing up in arcades I followed it because my pocket money would simply last longer. The one who shall not be named (!), if I recall correctly, wrote an essay claiming that people attending arcades were somehow following this rule explicitly, as if they wouldn't get tokens at the counter if they wouldn't sign a formal agreement on the rule/philosophy/whatever.

I am generally puzzled (but not surprised) about this attitude, so I was wondering what is your (or, well, anyone else's) take on this...unwarranted inference.

I do have the essay in paperback copy, btw (?!).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Randorama wrote: As a kid growing up in arcades I followed it because my pocket money would simply last longer. The one who shall not be named (!), if I recall correctly, wrote an essay claiming that people attending arcades were somehow following this rule explicitly, as if they wouldn't get tokens at the counter if they wouldn't sign a formal agreement on the rule/philosophy/whatever.
this is an absurd take on your part.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Blinge wrote:
I don't doubt it, but why?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Sumez wrote:With that out of the way, it pains me that people actually believe so hard in what they are saying. That having some sort of consequence for failing in a video game is archaic, bad design, "fake difficulty", etc.
[...]
I get this approach more often from people of my own generation who feel like they are too adult and busy and kids-having to sit down and spend time on playing any single stage of an old-school game more than once.
I think there may be a tiiiny bit of strawmanning going on with this particular post, even if the attitude you are referring to does seem to be pretty common.
A bit of conjecture maybe, but no strawmen, unfortunately. All of what I posted is arguments that I hear constantly every time this is brought up in nearly any online community outside of this. The top part is explicitly represented by the screenshot I posted on the previous page.
Randorama wrote:but I generally tend to think that rules involve consequences if you infringe them, e.g. rules in sports.
I think you countered your own argument there.
I mean I get your point, and I'm willing to go with it, since it's only semantics anyway.
But I think it also bears mentioning that no one is forcing you to follow the rule in a sport either. If you want to kick the ball in a basketball match, go right ahead. Like people who are arguing against 1cc's being the way to go: "Don't tell me how to play the game". If you think it's more fun to play that way, it's all in your power to do it, even if it's not the way the game was designed.
Sure, if you're in an official basketball match, kicking the ball would have penalty. But if you're playing an arcade game in some kind of scoring contest, continuing the game would also get you disqualified.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status ... 9426958336

Entertaining thread and relevant to the current topic.

Edit: Didn't realize how much topkek drama there was over the fighting game characters in Smash. Amazing.

In fact just so no one misses this gem
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The fuck.

to be a 'technical' tourney player in smash (to any degree of competence) anyway you have to use busted ass movement tech that's harder than a fucking shoryu input. twat.

I am thinking more about melee, but maybe smash ultimate has some stuff? I mean.. there's probably something. Those tourney nerds always find something.

reminds me of this tongue in cheek gem:
Y U WANNA TALK ABOUT FOX

if u play fox u will not get gash
u will get gashed by marth's F-smash
sliced in half and dumped in the trash
flushed down the loo like discard stash.

BARS
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Sumez wrote:
Randorama wrote:but I generally tend to think that rules involve consequences if you infringe them, e.g. rules in sports.
I think you countered your own argument there.
I mean I get your point, and I'm willing to go with it, since it's only semantics anyway.
Just not to lose track of ourselves: I didn't want to really propose an argument but rather I was asking if I was missing some finer point of semantics along the way, hence the half-baked point.
But I think it also bears mentioning that no one is forcing you to follow the rule in a sport either. If you want to kick the ball in a basketball match, go right ahead. Like people who are arguing against 1cc's being the way to go: "Don't tell me how to play the game". If you think it's more fun to play that way, it's all in your power to do it, even if it's not the way the game was designed.
Sure, if you're in an official basketball match, kicking the ball would have penalty. But if you're playing an arcade game in some kind of scoring contest, continuing the game would also get you disqualified.
Well, I am losing your point, probably. Let me try to be clear about my (half-baked turning to completely baked..) ideas, and see if I am understanding your point, too.

As someone who has played lots of sports, whenever I broke the rules I had to engage with a ref who would sanction me according to an official rule book. I played rugby, so there have been many times in which I simply said "yes, sir, sorry sir", because the sport involves a rulebook that borders on the arcane, and usually players do not know all the rules. Thus, if the ref blowed the whistle, half of the time I would simply follow the ref's orders and be done with it.

However, when it comes to video games in general, outside official tournaments, I would talk about the "1-coin approach", myself, to underline that some people play videogames in a certain way to better experience the original design behind the game. I am not even proposing a specific term, to be fair.

We can then have a tournament in which this becomes a rule, and a ref will probably drag a player away from the cabinet if the player tries to continue and argue "wtf I am not cheating by continuining".

It is purely semantics shmemantics, but I admit that I am (probably) getting confused about...well, how people are trying to define notions such as "bad design", "cheating" "gate-keeping", "rules", in relation to action gaming and 1-CC'ing games, I guess.

Have you ever had the feeling of walking into a conversation more than halfway and feeling *completely* at loss on how people are debating an apparently familiar topic? The last few days I had the clear impression that I was not following the discussion in this thread (duh!).

Then again, I am spending my days handling red tape at work, even on holiday days...
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Double-post, and then I will go lurking again.

!!"#"@ work-driven life.

Unless it is work-related, I am finding myself out of depth in any conversation. A friend tried to discuss sport news (the rugby, in fact) with me this afternoon, and I genuinely had no idea on what has happened in the last four months (some team has won the world cup, and that's all I knew).

I should have inherited a fortune, dammit.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Randorama wrote:
Blinge wrote:
I don't doubt it, but why?
I mean your portrayal is a bit absurd.
I thought the clam was just describing the arcade culture in japan and how it is there, and why he likes it.
Steamflogger Boss

So this is definitely a pretty minor thing but people that upload songs to youtube but then have 1-2 (or more...) minutes of dead time after the video ends. Annoying for when you want to autoplay some bullshit music.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I know! :)

1. Hire a bunch of 20 somethings.

2. Create a work culture where people are encouraged to spend all their time on campus (with multiple services provided to make it possible to spend all your free time at work)

3. Act all surprised and shocked when people start hooking up with people they work with.

Fuck. Seriously? You're surprised?

The world is full of morons that apparently never lived a life--or conveniently forget how life works to get in on the "outrage" culture.

You can't mash a bunch of 20 somethings together all day everyday and expect them to date outside of their artificially restricted social circle created by their life and soul eating job.

If you don't want employees to date, send them home.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sounds like a commune.

Get ready for the inbred stage where everyone has already dated, cheated on, fucked each other in all possible combinations! :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Seeing pictures of people's setup when they own multiple arcade cabinets, and not one of them has the screen in vertical.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Sumez wrote:Seeing pictures of people's setup when they own multiple arcade cabinets, and not one of them has the screen in vertical.
Depends on the cabinet. The only cab I kept is a Double Dragon conversion, for obvious reasons.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sure, I'm mostly thinking of generic cabs, candies etc. And like I said, when someone has more of them. I have one cab and it's mostly in horizontal orientation, because that's what a majority of my games are. And I'd wish I had the space for a second cab so I could keep one permanently vertical, for easy swapping out of games!
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

My ISP likes to shutdown internet access if the latest bill isn't paid off before 20th. I usually get the bill on 19th.
ryu

Post by ryu »

call them and tell them you'll switch if they don't cut that crap
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steamflogger Boss

Unless you just can't do it financially I recommend automating all your payments. I did it years ago and never looked back. It's great.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

When people put their whole name and address in ebay in lower case letters.

Presentation is something that should be taught in school. If you get that right, your whole fucking country will be better off.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Steamflogger Boss

Had a root canal today, anyone (pref non-US) want to guess how much this and other dental work ran me in the LAND OF THE FREE?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

• If you stream videogames, the game window should be as big as possible. You shouldn't cover essential HUD elements with overlay stuff, and you shouldn't shrink the videogame window to the point where your overlay actually occupies more space than the game window.

• If you're on your third playthrough of a game, maybe try to learn some of the basics of the game. It's really frustrating and sad seeing Bayonetta streams where the person's response to the suggestion of them learning how to Dodge Offset is a complete lack of interest. Dodge Offset is a move you start the game with that allows you to dodge without resetting combos, a move that radically changes the game's combat when you know how to do it. All it requires is holding the last punch or kick button you pressed when you dodge. And yet so many people are playing it without ever learning about it. The combat feels so much more distinctive and fun with Dodge Offset mastered, it's really unfortunate to see people never realize it exists because they never read the game manual or the Special Technique list, or worse, are made aware of it but disregard it entirely.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:the LAND OF THE FREE?
Why do you even live there, man? :P
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Had my teeth scaled and polished the other day for the equivalent of 60USD. Just Googled it and a root canal in the UK is 80USD. A fair chunk more with a crown though.

I dread to think how much this would cost in the USA. 500 dollars? Right ballpark?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A regular ol' six-month cleaning and checkup costs me around 250. Also, while technically periodontics instead of dentistry, a gum graft over a single tooth's root lightened my wallet by just shy of 1,800 last year, plus nearly another 200 for the initial consultation.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I shit you not, just this month I called a place that tried to charge me $400.

Sometimes I wonder whether all those doctors and dentists would charge so much if they weren't all in debt from American universities being such money hogs. Greedy old bastards. If you aren't receiving financial aid for having had good grades, you're basically fucked.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Steamflogger Boss

MX7 wrote:Had my teeth scaled and polished the other day for the equivalent of 60USD. Just Googled it and a root canal in the UK is 80USD. A fair chunk more with a crown though.

I dread to think how much this would cost in the USA. 500 dollars? Right ballpark?
Cue laughter gifs.

$2239.

This does include a crown.
WelshMegalodon wrote:I shit you not, just this month I called a place that tried to charge me $400.

Sometimes I wonder whether all those doctors and dentists would charge so much if they weren't all in debt from American universities being such money hogs. Greedy old bastards. If you aren't receiving financial aid for having had good grades, you're basically fucked.
Yeah it's completely fucked. A buddy of mine would have to basically exist and do nothing else to pay off his student loans. Since he has a kid and hobbies, it's basically never happening. Almost nothing goes to the principle amount, it's insane.
BulletMagnet wrote:A regular ol' six-month cleaning and checkup costs me around 250. Also, while technically periodontics instead of dentistry, a gum graft over a single tooth's root lightened my wallet by just shy of 1,800 last year, plus nearly another 200 for the initial consultation.
I might start doing those. Thankfully, not quite as much from this dentist I think.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Sometimes I wonder whether all those doctors and dentists would charge so much if they weren't all in debt from American universities being such money hogs. Greedy old bastards. If you aren't receiving financial aid for having had good grades, you're basically fucked.
Nah, the real problem is the Martin Shkreli types abusing patents to enable the worst kind of monopolistic practices and get away with wildly overcharging a captive market.

Investment capital assholes with no medical background are buying up pharmaceuticals, equipment manufacturers, sometimes entire hospitals.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Some times I hate where I live, but hearing stories like that makes me glad I'm at least in Europe.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Sumez wrote:Some times I hate where I live, but hearing stories like that makes me glad I'm at least in Europe.
My brother was just telling me how backwards and commie Europe is. Another friend said he shouldn't have to "underwrite" other people's medical bills because they are inbred and stupid. (Except for the fact that he would pay less to the National Health Service in tax increase than he currently pays for health premiums and out of pocket expense.) This person is drowning in debt from a health scare in hospital last year and still telling me how awful and commie they are in Europe and Canada.

Apparently, reading and doing math is too hard. There's no point in even bothering to argue. Some people can't understand facts or do math.

Americans were taught from a young age that they are special--and Europe is dirty and backwards. Americans were taught that class doesn't exist in America, because everyone is "middle class" (except for lazy people on "food stamps"). They say Europe has social classes because they are "lazy".

Americans cannot begin to believe that Europeans have more income (class) mobility and cheaper health care (per capita) with better outcomes. They can't understand that they aren't special. It's impossible in their minds. They are always the best with the best plan because they are American. That's what they taught us. It's absolutely impossible to present facts to some people.

I'm sure we can find similar attitudes anywhere, but it's frustrating when people keep bringing up important subjects related to politics and they won't discuss any of the realities or numbers.

And, so, I grin and nod. It bugs the hell out of me, but the other option is to listen to them shout over me--and carry on lecturing me for days afterwards about the lazy commies.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lol, it's quite impressive how different various ideas of what is "backwards" can be. :P

I'm seriously sorry for all the Americans that I hear about (on an almost daily basis due to a few international communities I frequent) who suffer so heavily from hospital, education, and even ambulance bills! Especially the last one is so unfathomably hard to believe, I'd have called it a hoax if several Americans hadn't already knocked it into my head that it's absolutely real.