Is the XB1 just kinda jank with fight sticks?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Is the XB1 just kinda jank with fight sticks?

Post by thebigcheese »

I've never really owned an arcade stick before, but my wife finally got me into fighting games, so I bought her a PS4 stick for Christmas and picked up a stick for myself recently. I got the RAP V for the Xbox One because it was half off and it would allow us to play the handful of 360-exclusive fighting games we have and could easily be adapted to work on PS4, but I notice that when it's in XB1 mode, there's some weirdness. On the system menus, everything is fine. It doesn't show up in the Xbox Accessories app and it doesn't have a player number lit up on the stick, but all the buttons work as they should. If I load up Mortal Kombat XL, again everything works perfectly. When I load up ACA Metal Slug X, all the buttons work correctly, but one click in any direction seems to move menus by at least two places every time, so it's really difficult to navigate menus. And if I go into Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, while the stick works fine, LB and RB are swapped for some reason. In Castlevania: SotN (technically a 360 game), everything is fine; and in many other games, I just can't use the stick at all as the games don't seem to recognize it as a valid controller. I also picked up a Brook Super Converter and when connected to the PS4 while in XB1 mode, LB and RB are swapped there, too.

However, in 360 mode, I don't seem to have any problems. I connect it to the 360 and the appropriate player number lights up and all buttons work correctly in every game I try. Similarly, if I connect it to the PS4 while in 360 mode, all the bumpers are mapped correctly. So the question is, is this just a thing with XB1 fight sticks? This one will primarily be for 360 and PS4, so it's not really that big of a deal, but it's still crazy that it's like this.
carlbarx

Re: Is the XB1 just kinda jank with fight sticks?

Post by carlbarx »

thebigcheese wrote:On the system menus, everything is fine. It doesn't show up in the Xbox Accessories app and it doesn't have a player number lit up on the stick, but all the buttons work as they should. If I load up Mortal Kombat XL, again everything works perfectly. When I load up ACA Metal Slug X, all the buttons work correctly, but one click in any direction seems to move menus by at least two places every time, so it's really difficult to navigate menus. And if I go into Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, while the stick works fine, LB and RB are swapped for some reason. In Castlevania: SotN (technically a 360 game), everything is fine; and in many other games, I just can't use the stick at all as the games don't seem to recognize it as a valid controller.
I have the official Hori Soul Calibur 6 stick and it behaves exactly like you describe. I believe Xbox One games needs to be programmed specifically to support a stick or it just won't work. Too bad they didn't bother to put this info on the packaging, I was mostly going to use mine with Xbox One platform games but none I have tried so far has worked. :(
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

carlbarx wrote:I have the official Hori Soul Calibur 6 stick and it behaves exactly like you describe. I believe Xbox One games needs to be programmed specifically to support a stick or it just won't work. Too bad they didn't bother to put this info on the packaging, I was mostly going to use mine with Xbox One platform games but none I have tried so far has worked. :(
Yeah, I was thinking it might be nice for platformers but... sheesh. I can understand it not working well in some games because of lacking functionality, but why any game should have to be specifically programmed for it (and why even games that are seem to have issues in some cases) is just bizarre. I'm beginning to think that PS4's dominance in the fighting scene extends beyond SFV exclusivity and Sony endorsements... It's a real shame.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Presume mostly xbone fault, but in either case does changing (I presume there's a switch for this?) the stick to dpad (as opposed to thumbstick) effect stick behaviour? ... Skipping menu items sure sounds like some digital to analogue wierdness.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

gray117 wrote:Presume mostly xbone fault, but in either case does changing (I presume there's a switch for this?) the stick to dpad (as opposed to thumbstick) effect stick behaviour? ... Skipping menu items sure sounds like some digital to analogue wierdness.
No, unfortunately. All three modes had the same results. Same game is fine on PS4, though I was using 360 mode.for that as it seems to work better generally. Oh well, now I know to buy these sorts of games for PS4.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i bought a Brook converter for my PS3 stick to use on my XB1 and have had no issues -- probably because the Brook makes the console think you're just using a normal XB1 pad. i've never actually thought about buying an XB1-specific stick since it's not the tournament standard console for fighting games, and as a competitive player it's hard to justify.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Queen Charlene wrote:i bought a Brook converter for my PS3 stick to use on my XB1 and have had no issues -- probably because the Brook makes the console think you're just using a normal XB1 pad. i've never actually thought about buying an XB1-specific stick since it's not the tournament standard console for fighting games, and as a competitive player it's hard to justify.
Same, I have too many older-gen sticks to buy another so ended up using a Brook PSX/PS2 > XBOne adapter and I've not had an issue with double inputs.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I use a cronusmax with multiple x360 sticks on xbox 1 and they all work flawlessly. You do need a wired xb1 controller to authenticate with, but i got a cheap one (under $20) that works really well for other purposes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk