The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TotalEconomist

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by TotalEconomist »

Hello, TotalEconomist here.

Long time shumps fan, looking to buy my own boards now.
MiteWiseacre

Post by MiteWiseacre »

Hi all.
Born in ‘81 and spent my youth playing NES and in awe of arcade machines. About a year ago I got into building my own machine and the BYOAC forums. Been lurking here because I want to do an RGB mod and build a vertical arcade machine, loving playing 240p on my existing cab but it doesn’t handle vertical very well or at all. Now if the mods would release my post in the hardware forums I could keep forging on :P
loloC2C

Post by loloC2C »

Born in '81 as well, shmup fan since the early 2000s and have been revisiting this particular game genre since then. Into both arcade and console real hardware or emulation.
NINE

Post by NINE »

Hi, I go by Nine. Have only been playing for about a month. I normally just play fighting games, but something finally clicked and now I'm shmup crazy.
Acti

Post by Acti »

Hi there, I've always had some interest in shmups but didn't knew that existed a community dedicated to the genre. Happy to found you guys out.
Greetings for Portugal.
EmilyGims

Post by EmilyGims »

Hello! My name is Emily. I am new to the world of forums. But I have been playing games for a long time. Please do not judge strictly if I express my point of view incorrectly or in the wrong threads
solidus

Post by solidus »

Hey all, Im Joe.. lurked around here for a while but decided to post a bit recently. Im a big fan of arcade style shooters as well as run n guns/twin stick shooters. Lately I have been playing a lot of one of my favorite series.. Metal Slug. Being in the US makes it a bit tricky to play some of the awesome Japanese and PAL shmup libraries from the various consoles. Ive been thinking about grabbing a Japanese PS2 and Xbox one lately.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hkisting wrote:Been gaming since around 86/87 when I discovered Wonder Boy and Rygar (personal favorite game of all time- just a little bit ahead of STALKER :) ) in the arcades.
AC Rygar is killer - despite sidescrolling action/platformers being my favourite genre, I managed to avoid it all my life for a lack of decent home releases until last year, when I picked up the Arcade Archives version. No arcade experience to compare it with, but those controls seem pinpoint-sharp. I especially like the "stomp anything, even Podoboos" mechanic and the bonus for taking out bosses with it.
Spoiler
The juxtaposition of rampant pace and deadly precision gives it a certain STG aspect, I think. Has a fair few accomplished fans on this forum, you're the second I've seen call it their favourite. :smile: I'd put it alongside Saigo no Nindou and Daimakaimura, easily.
2a03

Post by 2a03 »

hkisting wrote:I'm new to this board
I'm a big Stalker fan too, let's hug
solidus

Post by solidus »

Seems like my posts just get deleted or never actually post :( Anyway trying one more time.

My name is Joe, and I am a long time fan of run n guns, shmups, and other arcade style games. I am a huge Metal Slug and Contra fan, as well as classic shmups. I have very little experience with the hectic Japanese style games, but I am interested in checking some out.

EDIT:
Seems like posts were just waiting to get approved. All good now ;)
sllypper

Post by sllypper »

Hi there!

I love shmups but I don't play them a lot. I have a bunch of them on Steam and played a bunch of them on NeoGeo. I like Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi, Mars Matrix, Touhou, Ikaruga...
I got here in search of an old doujin training game that I lost like 10 years ago.

Greetings from Brazil!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Welcome sllypper!
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

Hello there !

I started playing shmups in May 2017 with Imperishable Night.
I tried most of the main games of the franchise, then discovered Blue Revolver, CAVE and Psychio games.
I made a scoring tutorial for Daioujou on Youtube.
Currently, the games I love are Touhou 8 and 15, Dodonpachi, Daioujou, Progear, Ketsui, Ikaruga, Zero Ranger and Dragon Blaze.

I am sorry if my first real post on this forum is a rant but I plan to have constructive exchanges and do my best to contribute to the community in the future.
NegativeElectron

Post by NegativeElectron »

Hi there!

I'm NegativeElectron (although nowadays I usually just go by NElectron)

I'm a Canadian shmup player and I've been lurking for a while now, but never really interacted with the community outside of the shmups subreddit. I originally made this account back in 2016, but all I've ever posted was a crappy original easy Eschatos score that I beat by about 6 mil. :lol:

I got into shmups back in 2010, thanks to Touhou. Started with Shoot the Bullet and loved it. Got into arcade shmups thanks to Cave's mobile ports (I was desperate for good mobile games).

My favorite shmups are: Eschatos, Judgement Silversword/Cardinal Sins, Ketsui, Dodonpachi, Mushi Futari Black Label, Espgaluda, Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo and Batsugun Special.

Currently working on looping Dodonpachi (and eventually getting a 2-ALL) as well as scoring improvements for Espgaluda.

Also trying to stream and record more runs. The only proof I have for 99% of my runs are just pics of the score itself which isn't really much.

I always post my scores here: https://restartsyndrome.com/user.php?user=303

Looking forward to interacting with the community! :D
felipesub

Post by felipesub »

Hi, Felipe here. New to the community, but I’ve been a fan of arcade games including classic shmups since I can remember. I’ve decided to finally learn bullet hell genre after failing miserably with akai katana 8 years ago. I’m either going to go full shmup or going to jail.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

NegativeElectron wrote:My favorite shmups are: Eschatos, Judgement Silversword/Cardinal Sins, Ketsui, Dodonpachi, Mushi Futari Black Label, Espgaluda, Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo and Batsugun Special.
Welcome! Two of the three people on the board here who've cleared JSS Special Mode with the default ship are in the Toronto area. There's a fair number of Canadians really into Judgement Silversword in the local area, as well as Mushi Futari. :P
JayLab

Post by JayLab »

Hello! I've been playing shmups forever but just recently decided to join the community.
I started out playing R-Type in arcades some 30 years ago, but it was Ikaruga that really turned me into a genre fan. Since then I've become a Cave addict, and in particular I'm a big fan of Ketsui and DDP DFK.
I've been focussing on shmups more and more over the past year or two and I'm trying to expand my list of clears, so I figured it was a good time to sign up. I just recently scored a 1CC in ESP Ra.De. and couldn't be happier! Trying to decide what to focus on next, but in the short term I'm playing Crimzon Clover and Mushihime Futari.
See you around!
Dedicate your life to Psikyo
matt

Post by matt »

Hello,

I'm surprised (pleasantly) to find my login still works! I was very active here back in the late '90s and early 2000s and had quite a large shmup collection. For various reasons I've been out of video games for the past 15 years or so, but have recently started to dust everything off and am having a lot of fun playing it again. It's amazing to see how far the classic gaming community has developed during that time! Some of the technology that's been created during the past few years is awesome - I never imagined that I'd be playing NES games from an SD card in RGB on a 55" TV.

I live in Hawaii, although I grew up in Canada many years ago. Favorite game is Great Mahou Daisakusen.
NegativeElectron

Post by NegativeElectron »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Welcome! Two of the three people on the board here who've cleared JSS Special Mode with the default ship are in the Toronto area. There's a fair number of Canadians really into Judgement Silversword in the local area, as well as Mushi Futari. :P
I was actually getting close to beating Special Mode with the special ship! Haven't played JSS in a while, so I'm quite rusty but clearing Special Mode is something I'd really want to do eventually.
Amlux

Post by Amlux »

Hi there everyone.

I got into shmups in the same way as a lot of others, via the Touhou series.

I want to 1cc some arcade games now that I've done the majority of what I'm interested in in Touhou for now.
1cc List / Twitch
Whatever is the own-nature of the tathāgata, that is the own-nature of this world.
The tathāgata has no own-nature. This world has no own-nature.

-Nāgārjuna, Mūlamadhyamakakārikā 22:16
molikotigo

Post by molikotigo »

Actually Summer Carnival was a shmup convention/contest in Japan, kind of like the Caravan shooting contest. Every year a new game would be released for the contest.

'91 was Spriggan (PCE)
'92 was Recca (FC) and Alzadick (PC
Rogo

Post by Rogo »

Hi,

My name is Jackie, but I also go by Rogo. My pronouns are they/them. I've been playing shmups since I was a child—especially older ones like Fantasy Zone and R-Type. However, I've become more interested in bullet hell games over the past year or so. As a result, I've wanted to improve and possibly play at a higher level.

I came across this forum as a result of searching for guides regarding higher levels of play, and I was excited to see how active this forum is. I've noticed that the shmup community has a history of not being as open as the fighting game community, which seems to be due in part to copyright laws in Japan regarding archiving super-plays. This either seems to be changing due to forums like this (or Youtube channels like Electric Underground) or I'm coming across a section of the community that I was unaware of.

Anyway, a few of my favorite shmups include R-Type, Spriggan, Esp. Ra. De., Lords of Thunder, Viewpoint, Psyvariar, Crimzon Clover, Touhou 8, and Dodonpachi Resurrection. I'm not particularly good at any of these, but I love them to death and hope to improve.

I look forward to meet with and talking to you all!
Neurocrasher

Post by Neurocrasher »

Hi everyone! My name is Grant. I'm from Oklahoma and I've always liked shmups, but I got into them a lot deeper when I began developing one in 2017. That's probably around the same time I started lurking here. I'm also a big fan of pinball, but I just sold my Black Pyramid pinball machine to make room for a remodel, after which I plan to buy a better machine. Not a huge fan of twin-stick shooters, but I love vertical shooters, especially if they give me an excuse to rotate my monitor into portrait mode. From old to new, some of my favorites are Galaga, Ikaruga, and Jamestown+. I'm also a member of r/shmups over on Reddit.

I currently have an Atari 2600, NES, and Sega Genesis hooked up to the CRT in my home office and I've gotten fairly handy at CRT repair, mostly thanks to the monitor geniuses on the Klov forums. The Sega Saturn was the reason I got my first job and I've owned pretty much every major system since, although I play most games on PC when given the option. Also really big on lightgun games (Kickstarted the Sinden lightgun and can't wait to get it), DooM, and Mortal Kombat. Outside of games, I'm always drawing, writing, or making music with both hardware and virtual synthesizers. Prophet V is my all-time favorite synth and the CS-80 is a not-very-distant second.
shadestreet

Post by shadestreet »

Been gaming since 86, convinced my parents to get a NES around 89. Hooked ever since.

Always enjoyed SHMUPs quite a bit, but boxed into the SNES left with only a few of the greats.

In 2000 was recommended to try Ikaruga.

That changed everything.

I must have spent 200 hundred hours over a year or two. That lead me to discover Treasure. Went back and picked up everything I could find from them including a Saturn, a Genesis, and a good chunk of change to important Radiant Silvergun, DoDonPachi, Soukyugarentai, Salamander Deluxe, and a few others. Gradius V arrived shortly after and I consider that one of the best "let's fix this franchise and correct everything wrong with it" games out there (and yes, it was much better than Gradius Gaiden IMO).

The VC on Wii gave me access to a bunch more, but by the end of the 00's my kids had arrived, my job was even more time consuming, and in all honesty I haven't played much of the genre in a decade or more.

Now discovered this forum after hoping to get in on a UltraHDMI before it is too late :)
BreakmanX

Post by BreakmanX »

Long time lurker and shmup fan. Excited to join the discussion.
Earthshaker

Post by Earthshaker »

Hi everyone!
As many oder ppl I lurked here for a long time, but I finally decided to join this great community!
I am a retrogame lover and console collector, love Japan and japanese language.
Honestly I love erykind of games, Shumps included!
Sometimes I enjoy restoring broken consoles and videogames.
Recently I had a problem with a glitchy PC Engine, but I will open a thred for that in the right section.
Talk to you soon!
七転び八起き
Pehenneji

Post by Pehenneji »

Hello,

i'm Pehenneji, 27 years old, french retro gamer. I discovered Schumps's forums because i'm researching how to buy an ultra hdmi kit for my Nintendo 64 and by browsing on the forum, I saw that there were many other very interesting subjects.

I started playing very early around 5 years old on the mega drive, and I am absolutely a fan of this console, I literally had a box of megadrive on my desk at the time I wrote this post.

I am planning of remaking the game's collection from my childhood, I've just buy a N64 Pikachu edition and I am looking for another traditional gray model that I intend to modify with a switch region free and an ultra hdmi.

I am not very good in English, I will try to do my best, if you have difficulties in reading me, do not hesitate to report it to me.

See you later :)
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

Hello !

My name is Giacomo and I live in France. I started playing shmups a few years ago with Darius Gaiden and perhaps It has become my favorite genre eversince. Aside from that I like all other sorts of games, including ones with deep scenarios or weird mechanics. My favorite game of all times is Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty.

I've been reading this forum for a long time and I finally decided to join in :)
wxy_2000

Post by wxy_2000 »

Hello everyone! You can call me WXY, I come from China, and the nickname is from my initials. Please forgive my poor English ability while discussing.
I am a newcomer to shmups. I have started playing shmups concentratedly since July 2018, before then I have only played 1942, gradius and demonstar(the game misidentified as Raiden3 was quite popular in China) in my childhood. I was attracted by dodonpachi SDOJ while travelling, my friend led me to the most famous arcade game centre in China, Liehuo. So I began with cave's bullet hell games and till now I am still major in bullet hell shmups. My proudest score is ddpdojbl(1 round mode) 1cc, and I am trying to 1cc Ketsui, omote 2-round game. I also play other shmups, for example I like Darius series very much(Unfortunately I don't play Darius well, and I am still pursuing QUZ 1cc in DBACEX).
Besides playing shmups, I am also interested in game music. I am a fan of Zuntata(especially OGR) and Namiki Manabu.
Hope I can go on well with everyone in the forum.
RandomRetro

Post by RandomRetro »

Been working myself into the Shmup games. Still really just focused on survival, but hoping to focus on a few 1CCs this year. Still have some repairs to do on my machines, but things are looking up for 2020. Glad to be here...