PAL Sega Saturn not syncing correctly with Sony PVM-2950 QM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
St4rwalker

PAL Sega Saturn not syncing correctly with Sony PVM-2950 QM

Post by St4rwalker »

Hi i have problems with my
PAL Sega Saturn (modded to be region switchable via reset), not syncing correctly with Sony PVM-2950 QM !

I am using CSYNC RGB Scart cable, Y/C works:

but when switching to RGB i get this white horizontal line above, also the picture is not full (missing top and buttom):

"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
St4rwalker

Re: PAL Sega Saturn not syncing correctly with Sony PVM-2950

Post by St4rwalker »

What i totally dont get it is: on my second model on the floor (not tate), it works absolutely brilliant in RGB
mode, but i get those strange white line and the cropped picture in component mode !!!
"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
St4rwalker

Post by St4rwalker »

Nobody ? :x
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Isn't the picture simply sqeezed ? Looks like the monitor is in anamorphic mode. Does your 2950 have an actual scart input (some do) or do you use a BNC breakout cable ?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Are you sure its not just accidentally switching into 50Hz mode with PAL borders? Alternatively as Fudoh suggested - perhaps the monitor is switching into 16:9 widescreen mode, likely because the SCART cable is only using the +5V line which causes some displays to switch into 16:9 mode.

Also you would need to provide more details about this CSYNC cable, since PAL Saturn's dont natively support CSYNC output. I presume the cable is using a sync stripper of some kind? This makes it difficult to know if the signal is being attenuated correctly or not.

Also not clear what you mean by "component mode"? Do you mean a HD Retrovision cable?

Its probably easier to just use a Sync on Luma cable for the Saturn, since there wont be much benefit to using CSYNC, especially not with a PAL Saturn. Further still, if you are getting a custom cable for just a PAL Saturn, then you could use the +9V line for SCART switching to enable correct aspect ratio detection, as was originally intended (Or maybe even just use an official Sega Saturn SCART cable that uses Sync on Composite video)
St4rwalker

RE: PAL Sega Saturn not syncing correctly with Sony PVM-2950

Post by St4rwalker »

You guys are awesome ! Thank you so much, the tate one was set to 16:9 instead of 4:3 !

Here, treat yourself ;)