* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Monolith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:32 am 

Quote:
BareKnuckleRoo basically wrote:
Your post history is bad, therefore X...

Come on it's fine to disagree but can't we do better than these sorts of arguments?

Ha!
Well actually... The last time I had to make a new account on this board, pretty much the exact thing happened the first time someone disagreed with me (I'd almost want to say it was the same poster but I really don't remember).

So... no?

Anyways, I apologize in that I was going to respond to your post with possibly some semblance of intelligent discourse (or at least an object example, or at least arrogant). But, I rather just let BareKnuckleRoo "win" the thread with the above gem. Carry on...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:26 am 

The game this most reminds me of is Guardian Legend on the NES.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 pm 

Monolith is currently on sale on Steam as a Halloween promo: https://twitter.com/team_d13/status/1188867707875274753

(but buy it on GOG cause DRM sucks)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 am 

Super excited for the DLC expansion next month, had no idea the team was still working on it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180 ... _the_Past/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 am 

Nice; wonder if they'll be putting it on itch too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:07 pm 

Really hope they fix that Linux AMD bug one of these days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:45 pm 

blackoak wrote:
Super excited for the DLC expansion next month, had no idea the team was still working on it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180 ... _the_Past/

This is out on Steam now. The devs say it'll be on GOG in a few days. They haven't responded when asked if it's coming to itch, but the youtube page says that on other stores it's 'Coming Later'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:50 am 

They were having issues with the Itch store as it doesn't support DLC style purchasing or something nicely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:02 pm 

TL;DR Buy it.

Happy to report that this feels like a proper expansion pack, like those you could get 20 years ago. There's something new to see at every turn.

I thought the original game was lacking for content, I just couldn't help but compare to Isaac or Gungeon. This version still doesn't quite reach that level, but does better justice to the rock solid gameplay. There is now a healthy dose of variety to each run -- not to be confused with Isaac's BS randomness. I like how the player's decisions and skills are still at the forefront. I won't go into more details for the time being; I'm rusty and can't survive shit, I've only seen maybe half of what's on offer.

On the downside, the new lore I just don't care for. There is a lot of it, it sounds deep and ominous, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:37 pm 

Quick heads-up that the expansion is now on GOG. I'll have to try it out later on...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm 

I wish this was out on Mac. Anyone heard anything about that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:39 pm 

One thing that's bugging me is that with the added ship upgrade options, it's a very real possibility that you won't ever see Teleport Dash in a run. Actually, I'm pretty sure I've done significantly more runs without it than with, it's a luxury to find Teleport. That makes later stages hell and leads to unfair damage, too. I wouldn't mind if they made Teleport the default dash.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:22 pm 

I by far prefer the bullet patterns being designed to not require invincible dash (ie. require real dodging, and make the patterns fair). Sorta sick of games built around invincible dash like Furi and Nex Machina, they end up having the same bullet pattern archetypes where you need some wall flying at you constantly to reset cooldowns and actually force player to navigate through bullets.

In monolith that upgrade feels too strong to be a random upgrade. It's either a core mechanic or you randomly dont get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 pm 

Yeah, totally agree, take it out.
I mean you can still jump into danger, it's not the massive get out of jail free card that it is in some other modern twin stick shooters, but it's bad enough.
Like you say, the game is designed well, it doesn't need it.

I always avoided it assuming that it was like the warp button on asteroids where you'd teleport to a random place on the screen then I took it one day when the other two upgrades were junk and I was like "well, this is pretty OP"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:08 pm 

Blink is clearly the best upgrade in the game, and the boss designs are such that everything is dodgeable without a teleport dash, which is the way it should be. However, some of the rooms feel like you can get rushed and cornered by enemies easily, which is where Blink really comes in handy. There's also just enough of a slide at the end to make it feel challenging and satisfying to learn and control.

I think it's a case of it being fun and useful simply because Monolith doesn't force you to use it exclusively to dodge stuff, as Enter the Gungeon does with its dodge roll. Monolith is a shmup that happens to have a dash for added mobility now and then, rather than a shmup built around its dash as a mandatory evasion technique.

I agree that it's way too strong of an upgrade to be random. As much as I like Blink, it should either be always active, or never active. Newer players avoid Blink because it's an upgrade whose usefulness entirely depends on player skill, but when you recognize how good it is, it makes it somewhat frustrating not to get it because it really changes your options for how you can move around a room.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:56 pm 

Yeah, you're right actually, I agree with that, it's implemented well. I took it last night and like you say, it's really handy in some rooms when it gets hectic, I was just thinking about the bosses.
Maybe it could come with a downside like it halves your regular weapon damage or something or maybe it could be a perk of one of the ships you can choose.

Offline Profile