WiiDual install test - Sound and OSD help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RetroModern

WiiDual install test - Sound and OSD help

Post by RetroModern »

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area or duplicated an old topic. Looking for some advice or tips on a WiiDual install and appreciate any help from other pro and experienced modders.

I have just installed a WiiDual (1.1 pcb board) onto my Wii. I made sure to test continuity on each pin of the flex (actually from the AVE pins) to ensure no bridges and signal reaches the WiiDual pcb board. Removed all components on RGB and Composite lines on Wii main board per citrus3000psi's video. I've also installed a wire to the gamecube controller port 1 test pad to P.

On boot up, I get an image over HDMI that my test lcd says 720x480. My tv is a basic 720p LCD. I don't hear any sound and my GC controller in port 1 can't pull up the OSD. Is the L and R sound supposed to come from the AVE chip or the multiout pins? As for the OSD, my gamecube controller is a cheap aftermarket one, so not sure if it's why it can't pull up the menu. Thanks everyone for the help!
Syntax

Re: WiiDual install test - Sound and OSD help

Post by Syntax »

I am one of Dans installers.

Controller must be plugged in before booting the system. Be sure its in the port you wired to.

If no audio, bring up OSD and turn on enhanced DVI mode and save settings.
RetroModern

Post by RetroModern »

Much appreciated Syntax! This worked. I think my 3rd party Gamecube controller isn't supported by my Wii so I was able to get the OSD menu using a universal remote.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

No problem happy to help.

Did you need to have the remote super close to the wii?
RetroModern

Post by RetroModern »

My test workbench is tight quarters so at first I thought it needed to be right near the IR sensor, but in reality my remote worked with me sitting in my chair around 2-3 ft away. I didn't think it felt particlularly so. Any concerns I should have?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I've just heard you need to use the remote almost touching the back of the Wii. I havent tried myself so was curious. Thanks.