Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MikeMike

Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?

Post by MikeMike »

Hey all.

I was hoping someone could provide some guidance around the replacement of the fan for the BKM42HD. This is the double slot adapter for SDI/HSDI.

I already replaced the fan with a 40mm Noctua (NF-A4X10-FLX 5V) and it spins around just fine.

However, the big issue is that I get an error on screen when trying to utilize the SDI inputs. It's something along the lines of "Fan error".

I got a helpful response on reddit a while back, and I PMed him to see if he had any more details, but he has not gotten back to me. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... vm_series/

Anybody know how I could go about fixing this so that the card recognizes the new fan?
xga

Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?

Post by xga »

Hey MikeMike,

That was me! Sorry that I hadn't got back to you yet, I don't often visit Reddit and I had been meaning to follow up. Christmas holidays got in the way!

That is the exact same fan I used and it is much more quiet than the stock Sony fan (F412RS05LB-02). I made up a little loom to go between the fan header on the BKM42HD board and the Noctua fan so that it was completely reversible and I didn't have to cut any wires.

+5V from the fan header pin goes to positive (red) at the fan end
GND from the fan header pin goes to GND (black) at the fan end
The fan RPM sensor wire from the fan header pin (yellow) needs to be tied to the GND pin of the fan header to fool the board that the FAN is operational

It really is that simple and this will obviously work on any monitor which accepts a BKM42HD card, not just a D24.

Please be aware that if your fan does fail, you won't be notified about it on screen and there is the possibility that it could damage your BKM42HD. Having said that, these Noctua fans have a 6 year warranty and aren't some average, cheap and nasty PC fan.

Let me know how you go, MikeMike.
MikeMike

Post by MikeMike »

You're alive!!

I hoped that you would be on this forum based on your specific knowledge on that reddit thread. You had a brand new reddit account, and I thought I'd send out some signal flares as forum posts until you saw them. :)

Thanks a ton for your follow up. After doing a bit of research, I figured that you bought that ones specific Noctua fan. There are no better options available it seems. That fan even comes with some great wires and stuff to attach to the fan header on the BKM board.

I first set it up at a wire-for-wire methodology, and matched the header to the Noctua wires as shown:

This didn't work:

Notice the wires all connected to the proper places.

Weird how it didn't work.

This whole thing was driving me a bit nutty. I was even making a "how to" video. Silly me, as that turned out to be a dud, so again, I appreciate your response. I was about to just go back to using the old fan, and was about to contact my guy at Sony to help with a new fan. (Those new fans for the BKM are INSANELY priced btw). I also tried to find some information on how to fool a motherboard to think that the fan is working.

Anyway....

I followed your instructions, and it worked!!!

No more "FAN NOT FOUND" error message.
xga

Post by xga »

Yep, alive and signal flares seen. :)

Nice work on getting it working, MikeMike! Glad I could help.
furntree

Post by furntree »

Hey guys! Wow just what I needed! My SDI card definitely has that classic 40mm fan whine and was looking into something like this.

Time to place an order and break out the molex crimper!

You're the best!
MikeMike

Post by MikeMike »

furntree wrote:Hey guys! Wow just what I needed! My SDI card definitely has that classic 40mm fan whine and was looking into something like this.

Time to place an order and break out the molex crimper!

You're the best!

I'm glad to uh... beg for help and be lucky enough to receive it! :D
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

I saw this thread some time ago and bookmarked it. I hadn't used the HD SDI card of my monitor so far because of the fan and since I had no way to feed it a SDI signal. I bought an HDMI to SDI converter this week and was also thinking about replacing the fan like described here.

I would be fine with a bit of fan noise when the monitor is turned on. But to my surprise the fan is running even if the monitor is standby mode. That's super weird. I have never seen something like that before.
Even if the Noctua fan is less noisy than the stock fan, a fan that is always running is a no-go for me.

How do you guys deal with that? Do you always completely turn off the monitor? Or are just letting the fan spin the whole time? Or perhaps there is a different solution you have come up with?
xga

Post by xga »

Nekoi wrote:I saw this thread some time ago and bookmarked it. I hadn't used the HD SDI card of my monitor so far because of the fan and since I had no way to feed it a SDI signal. I bought an HDMI to SDI converter this week and was also thinking about replacing the fan like described here.

I would be fine with a bit of fan noise when the monitor is turned on. But to my surprise the fan is running even if the monitor is standby mode. That's super weird. I have never seen something like that before.
Even if the Noctua fan is less noisy than the stock fan, a fan that is always running is a no-go for me.

How do you guys deal with that? Do you always completely turn off the monitor? Or are just letting the fan spin the whole time? Or perhaps there is a different solution you have come up with?
If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.
CPC6128

Post by CPC6128 »

Thanks, I shall have no more this damned error message!
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

xga wrote: If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.
Hmm, not really a solution. I think I would either use the board a lot or not at all.
xga

Post by xga »

Nekoi wrote:
xga wrote: If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.
Hmm, not really a solution. I think I would either use the board a lot or not at all.
Well, I think your best option is to turn power to the monitor off, rather than putting it into standby.
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

There has got to be a better way.

I'm thinking about using a temperature controlled fan. A fan that stops running once a certain temperature gets reached. If you put the monitor into standby the temperature should come down after a while and then the fan would stop running too. Something like that must exist.

Or perhaps install a big passive cooler ans still trick the monitor into thinking the fan is running.
furntree

Post by furntree »

When in standby mode even though the tube is "off" voltage is still being applied to the heater and filament to keep the unit "warm". Sony spec states 30-40mins power on time to be fully warmed up for "accurate colors". In a home environment It's highly recommended to turn the unit off completely as keeping the heater and filament powered will basically sap hours out of the display.

Always recommended to turn off the unit fully from the switch on the back! I usually turn it off into standby mode, wait for it to do its click-clacking, then turn off with the switch after a few seconds.
rcdrone

Post by rcdrone »

I just ran into this myself using HD-SDI for the first time (previous owner unplugged the fan), and bought the same replacement. I might be dense, but I'm not sure how you guys were able to jam the yellow wire back into the connector like that. I was able to come up with this though; hopefully, it helps someone down the line. I had to strip off some of the thicker black wire to get it to fit with the thinner black wire, but it works.

mheyman

Post by mheyman »

I recently did this same mod and was actually pretty surprised at how loud the Noctua was. They are almost dead silent in my pc and I assumed this would be similar.

I noticed the fan was slightly too small and I also wrapped it in tape to secure it better. Is it possible its not secure enough and is making a louder than expected whirring sound?

How did the mod work out for you guys? I guess mine is quieter but I was expecting near silence.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

mheyman wrote:I recently did this same mod and was actually pretty surprised at how loud the Noctua was. They are almost dead silent in my pc and I assumed this would be similar.

I noticed the fan was slightly too small and I also wrapped it in tape to secure it better. Is it possible its not secure enough and is making a louder than expected whirring sound?

How did the mod work out for you guys? I guess mine is quieter but I was expecting near silence.
For me it was a lot quieter than the original but still not silent so I just pulled out the card as don't need it anyway.

I feel like the fan runs at max 24/7 so that's probably why its so loud.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

With the D-series monitors I feel like there is no downside at all to skip SDI entirely and instead use HDMI to VGA to Extron sync combiner to RGB up to 1080i (which looks fantastic). I've heard SDI adds lag and doesn't do 4:4:4 anyway, but I'm not sure about this.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

Thanks for the response! I'm not even currently using the card but thought of hooking up my PS3 or get the UltraHDMI for my n64 and run it through the SDI card.

Do you recommend any HDMI to VGA boxes and what sync combiner would I need?

Thanks again!
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

mheyman wrote:Thanks for the response! I'm not even currently using the card but thought of hooking up my PS3 or get the UltraHDMI for my n64 and run it through the SDI card.

Do you recommend any HDMI to VGA boxes and what sync combiner would I need?

Thanks again!
Don't use SDI. I use this converter for HDMI to Component with my PS3 and it works great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Convert ... +converter

PS3 HDMI output (best quality) > Converter box HDMI in > Converter box Component or RGB out > Monitor in
retrogames_berlin

Post by retrogames_berlin »

Hey guys,

I followed your instructions to mod my BKM41. It worked very easy without any cutting. I replaced the fan with the Noctua. Made the wiring as you did and put it back to my D24. I turned it on and everything works fine. I don’t receive any error message.

BUT

The fan doesn‘t spin at all. To me this is ok as I just wanted the BKM for some testing and no major gaming input. Do you think this will ne a problem regarding the heat? As I don’t use it it feels as warm as all the passive cooled cards in the back. To have the fan turned of and have no noise is very good to me.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I'm also looking to replace the loud stock fan in my BKM-42HD. Does any know what the best 40mm Noctua fan model is to use for the 42HD? I heard the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX Fan is the one most people in the community use, but have also heard that it's not a perfect fit and has to be secured. Is that because the dimensions are 40x40x10mm?

Looking at this page showing off the best 40mm fans: https://graphicscardhub.com/best-60mm-40mm-fan/ and saw that the Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX Fan is 40x40x20mm. Would that be a better fit? It's also reportedly quieter and delievers more air flow than the first model I mentioned.
speedswan

Post by speedswan »

The thicker fan (Noctua NF-A4x20) does work - it needs slightly longer screws but is near silent - it's a pretty tight fit, but it gets in there.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I replaced the fan in my 42HD right before I got rid of my D24. Noctua NF-A4x10 was almost perfect, did have to add spacers for the screws or else it was just slightly loose. Other than that it was just great.