Recommendation for N64 Replacement Analog Stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Recommendation for N64 Replacement Analog Stick

Post by NoAffinity »

Like many of you, I've been long searching for a replacement analog stick for original N64 controller. Bought this baby new in 1996. Have seen the gamecube style replacements, as well as the reviews that go along with them - ranging from good quality but not comparable play/feel, to bad quality don't waste your time, as well as N64 style replacements that look the part but don't perform. Have also seen teh Steel Sticks parts offerings, which frankly, are a ridiculous price point. I've even gone as far as building PS to N64 adapters, which work great...but at the end of the day, it's a PS controller, not a N64 controller.

On a hunch the other day, I searched amazon for replacement sticks, and came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KR ... UTF8&psc=1

Good reviews, price point seem right for a decent product - not garbage and not titanium-carbonate-polymer-overengineered.

Picked up a couple.

Below you see the original stick on the right, and the new replacement on the left.
Spoiler
And here's how it looks installed:
Spoiler
In terms of feel and how the replacement handles, it seems pretty spot on to me. Granted, I don't have a great point of reference because the original stick has been shot for many years now. I've been using one a Superpad 64, which from what I read is considered to be the best 3rd party controller, and it does well, but there's definitely some slight differences in the stiffness and throw of the SP64.

Would like to see others who are more familiar with the feel and handling of the original analog stick give some feedback. For my money, I'm happy with this solution and happy to have my OG green controller back in action after many years.
Xyga

Re: Recommendation for N64 Replacement Analog Stick

Post by Xyga »

I'm interested in that one, read positive things about it.

Doesn't seem to be available outside of N-A but oh well, they ship overseas anyway.

PS: anyone tried raphnet's GC adapter ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I remember there being a thing with aftermarket / replacement n64 sticks where they did not have the same resolution or whatever as the originals and as such you couldn't move your guy precisely
strayan

Post by strayan »

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

strayan wrote:Has it been tested with https://github.com/sanni/controllertest ... r/N64-Port ?
Will test when I get a chance. Is there a repository of results from various controllers somewhere to compare against?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

While I agree that the Steel Sticks replacement joystick modules are obnoxiously expensive, I did pick up a Steel Sticks bowl (Grade A, because they were out of Grade B at the time) and a 10-pack of replacement gear sets from Kitsch-Bent. Not the cheapest option (about $45 to repair one joystick), but it should last longer (the bowl won't wear). Unfortunately, I can't yet speak to its efficacy, because I've yet to install the bowl.

The gears alone absolutely helped tighten the joystick up, so I haven't really felt the need to replace the bowl just yet. The original nylon bowl in my main controller is still pitted, so it'll just be a matter of time before I'll ruin those gears, too.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Here's some test results from the various controller options I have available.

Original controller with replacement stick:
Spoiler
Superpad 64:
Spoiler
Raphnet GC adapter with original GC controller:
Spoiler
Raphnet GC adapter with aftermarket GC controller:
Spoiler
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Seems good then ? Honestly I don't know what to expect from a fully working original, so I can't tell from this test if the OldSkool Sharpshooter is alike or different. :oops:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Xyga wrote:Seems good then ? Honestly I don't know what to expect from a fully working original, so I can't tell from this test if the OldSkool Sharpshooter is alike or different. :oops:
A new original produces around 85/-85. You can see it at 1:53 of this video...some comparison results are built into the test program: https://youtu.be/Jh62eZ6f57I

So the sharpahooter isnt a perfect reppacement but is pretty darn good imho. Worth my $15. :)

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Indeed! I'll give it a try for sure.

edit: ordered a couple
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So I've finally received them, well, my experience isn't as good as yours.

First unit is quite okay on the precision, only slightly short on the right and top-right, but the sensitivity is okay as far as I could see playing a bit.
(sorry didn't care taking pics of the controller test)
The issue with it is that the feel is very rubbery-squeaky, with the noise that goes with it.

Second unit was off-centered from the start Y -18, and did overall terrible on the controller test.
I've tried opening it up to see if anything's misplaced and maybe put some fresh grease (there's barely any at all in it, only a drop in the bowl), but everything popped-out rather brutally and I'm still trying to assemble it back.
Did I see more moving parts that can detach and fall here? I mean compared to the original, because it seems so like the stick went off immediately, therefore a warning to those like me who will attempt to open/fix it up)

One thing I never got is how important is it to put everything back in a perfect position, and how much it affects the results if you don't do it properly.
I'll try to see if I can do something to make the second better and grease both without messing everything up.

I haven't tried all replacements available on the market of course, but I'm gonna guess the Sharpshooters aren't really better than average, just that there's maybe a slighly higher percentage of non fucked-up units in their stocks, but it's still a lottery.
So considering I've paid the import tax on top of the intl shipping, I'm gonna say it was not worth it, and that trying to find okay-working originals then grease'em is still my preferred solution, even if it's a waste of controllers. :twisted:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

UPDATE:

Unit #2 greased and reassembled with maximum caution = OK

Obviously they're assembled in haste at the factory, and lack lube, so you only have to put white lithium grease everywhere there's friction (recommended since the plastics aren't as high quality as the original's, hence the worse 'feel') then reassemble taking care that every part is perfectly positioned straight and flat where it should when you close it.

Controller test is fine now, similar to unit #1.

I've found a little flaw both units share, depending on how you move the stick, it's that top-right corner I've mentioned, there the stick seems to bump into something that prevents it from going all the way if you arrive there straight or clockwise, but it will if you circle counter-clockwise.
It doesn't affect the results much though so it's no big deal.

Kinda relieved. ^^
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Xyga wrote:I've found a little flaw both units share, depending on how you move the stick, it's that top-right corner I've mentioned, there the stick seems to bump into something that prevents it from going all the way if you arrive there straight or clockwise, but it will if you circle counter-clockwise.
Maybe a molding lip on something? You'd imagine it would be obvious if you took it apart though, so maybe not.

Nice to hear you can grease these up. I've got half an eye out for some decent stick replacements.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Thanks for the tireless work here, xyga! Seems like i got lucky with mine, but definitley going to take the time to disassemble and lube per your recommendations.

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@buttersoft: I wonder what it could be, nothing obvious at first sight, I'll try and look closer while keeping an image of the parts in mind.

@NoAffinity: reading the reviews on amz maybe the quality is very inconsistent, idk, anyway what I got is still far from the original's quality yet at least the sensitivity/accuracy feels right enough, and that might be the most important point, considering most complaints with replacement joysticks and 3rd party controllers are about that.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Has anyone tried replacing the guts of the original sticks with the guts (bowl, gears, maybe even stick?) of the aftermarket ones? I almost wonder if the electronics just aren't calibrated the same and that's why we see results that aren't exactly perfect on the aftermarket sticks.