M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
evil_ash_xero

Re: M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Buffi wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I love this game. So glad it finally has a good home port. Wish more of it was in English though. Hard to figure out some things.

Anyone know how much lag this has, compared to the PCB? (sorry if this has been asked)
What is the usual ShotTrigger lag?
I'm playing on both PS4 and PCB, and I can't notice any additional lag in the port.
If anything, I seem to be doing better on the PS4 compared to on PCB for some reason...

I think PCB is 2 frames or something?

edit: Apparently the Switch version has 1-2 frames more lag according to forums (page 10 of this thread, as well as on cave-stg.com)
That's very interesting. Yeah, the Switch version always has more lag, just due to the system. When you're playing with power, you gotta have some lag. :lol:
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

zakk wrote:
M.Knight wrote:The timing between the shot and bubbles changes depending on the enemy, yeah. You have to get a feel for it based on experience. Some bigger enemies also need to be weakened a bit before performing the trick.

Dunno how it is in the M2 port, but on the arcade version if you hold B while pressing Start to begin a credit, you will see the multiplier and its timer near the top corners of the screen on your player side. That should give you a good indication of how long you can cash in on that mutiplier.
You can also permanently turn on that display in the port's options. Do it manually once to earn the PS4 trophy and then turn it on forever.
Do you know which menu option that is? (sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

banjoted wrote:
zakk wrote:
M.Knight wrote:The timing between the shot and bubbles changes depending on the enemy, yeah. You have to get a feel for it based on experience. Some bigger enemies also need to be weakened a bit before performing the trick.

Dunno how it is in the M2 port, but on the arcade version if you hold B while pressing Start to begin a credit, you will see the multiplier and its timer near the top corners of the screen on your player side. That should give you a good indication of how long you can cash in on that mutiplier.
You can also permanently turn on that display in the port's options. Do it manually once to earn the PS4 trophy and then turn it on forever.
Do you know which menu option that is? (sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread)
I think what you're looking for would be under M2 GADGET > GADGET TRIGGER ON.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

How's everyone's progress? I'm still keeping to Arcade Plus almost exclusively (and the occasional dabble in Irori's room for fun). I kinda held my nose at first but now I find it essential to turn my hitbox on. I don't have a problem with a non-visible hitbox in ESPGaluda, but here it seems to really make a difference for me (probably partially as a result of playing in handheld so much).

I'm making it to 5.1 a couple times - a few lucky runs out of dozens. Stage 4 boss is a real problem, as is trying to no-bomb the first st4 midboss. It just leaves me with far too few resources to survive. I haven't yet beat my PB of 6.7 million, which I realize is probably not that great a score. Do people misdirect the two blue large spreads that's the mech's final attack (or penultimate rather)? Or should I just strategically bomb throughout the run when I know I ought?

As well I wish the score multiplier didn't feel janky. Stage 1 I get you won't have enough power to properly gauge enemy health, but overall the timing to get x16s on enemies can be overly anal, unless they are a large enemy.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

About the same Ing. I got to the gate boss just before the Alice clones, but that's been my most magical run so far. Also playing only Arcade Plus, and mostly playing as Alice with a bit of JB 5th mixed in. I was able to ICC the PCB back in the day, but that was many years ago.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Special World

Post by Special World »

I was under the impression that you could only start a x16 chain on large enemies. Is that not correct? It seems like small ones would die before you even hit them with the whole power shot. Or am i totally misunderstanding the scoring somehow?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Now Im doing another playthrough of Mario 64
What crime have you committed to earn such punishment?!
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finally got my copy today - guess how much I spent on shipping? - and had a quick go at it; just dove into regular old Arcade mode, haven't messed with the new stuff yet.

It's been a long time since I last booted MAME up, and what struck me most immediately upon returning was how much push-and-pull (for lack of a better term) the scoring system entails; the temptation is to take out the larger enemies first to get a fat multiplier and then wipe up the small fry before the score boost runs out (it almost has a bit of kinship with Ketsui, which I hadn't played when I first encountered Ra.de), but I found the popcorn particularly relentless here, to the point that leaving them alive feels like even more of a risk than DoDonPachi or the like. Maybe it's just me? It's also a bit grating to constantly miss showers of point items because so many aimed bullets are right on top of them that you're forced to get out of the way and let the rewards drop. I'd have appreciated some form of "let go of the shot button to suck in shinies" gimmick as seen in Cave's later stuff.

Overall, though, there's a reason this thing is a perennial Top 25 entry for me; unmistakable atmosphere, constant tension, moment-to-moment scoring, good stuff. The achievements were also in English on my system (maybe that 1.01 update did it?), so I can at least understand a little bit of what the game has. Hopefully will have a whack at the other modes later this weekend...
Special World

Post by Special World »

Question: When I have a x16 multiplier, can I use whichever shot I want, or will using the power shot "overwrite" my multiplier with a lesser one? I guess what I'm asking is--if I have a x16 multiplier should I use power shot at all, or should i mostly just stick to rapid fire?
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Special World wrote:Question: When I have a x16 multiplier, can I use whichever shot I want, or will using the power shot "overwrite" my multiplier with a lesser one? I guess what I'm asking is--if I have a x16 multiplier should I use power shot at all, or should i mostly just stick to rapid fire?
Use the power shot to pin the big guys to get the 16x, use normal on the others. Doing this allows you to refill the power shot while you are popping off the little guys and be ready to hit the next big one with full meter.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Man, this really looks proper badass perfectly integer scaled to 4k. I really wish that every retro re-releases understood this pretty basic concept :x
Spoiler
Also, don't ever combine preorders with other stuff on Play Asia. They sold off my LE copy of ESP rade just because the other game I bought was out of stock. They even demand upfront payment when preordering, and they still don't reserve your stuff for you... Unbelievable :roll:

Glad I managed to find a LE on Amazon Japan instead.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Questions: What does the screeching noise mean? It happens every once in a while, sounds like a pidgey.

And how do i set my game to 2p start? I went to the system settings and set the last option to 2p, but it still starts me as 1p. Does that setting just give 1p the system benefits or starting as 2p in the arcade?

Also, is it weird that i dont notice a difference with "power shot full auto" turned off? It seems to dp the same thing either way.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Received my copy a couple of weeks ago, with a cool Christmas cover variant, but haven't had a chance to boot it up.

Played through Super Easy last night, dying only to the final boss. First time ever playing the game, and hadn't a clue what I was doing. Was a lot of fun though!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
geremy

Post by geremy »

Has there been any recent news about an English translation or US eShop (switch) availability?
it290

Post by it290 »

What's the advantage of the 2P side again? Something about recharging your energy bar?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I think it's that bombing keeps your chain going. Not a big deal, but a slight advantage. There's a strategy topic that says you also start with higher rank, which I didn't know Esprade had?
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Is the safe spot on the Tank boss phase 1 well known?
Works on all stages, and isn't very hard.
Just stay at top of the screen at center of tank, and try not to move while it's shooting.

Stage 3 example here:
https://youtu.be/BSnUCUjc_Ng

Stage 2 (not really needed, but why not):
https://youtu.be/ZLApnfoByLU

On stage 3, you can also skip the blue bullets that it does when it does the next set of bursts by staying far enough up on the tank (as seen in the video).
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Are there score advantages by setting rapid fire on (shot only,not power shot) ?
Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

"Are there score advantages by setting rapid fire on (shot only,not power shot) ?"

One disadvantage is when entering your initials on a high score if you have the rapid shot on you end up with three "J"'s when you were after "JD." in my case :-{
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Sparkoids wrote:"Are there score advantages by setting rapid fire on (shot only,not power shot) ?"

One disadvantage is when entering your initials on a high score if you have the rapid shot on you end up with three "J"'s when you were after "JD." in my case :-{
You can map multiple buttons to the same input, then just have autofire on one of those.
Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Buffi wrote:
Sparkoids wrote:"Are there score advantages by setting rapid fire on (shot only,not power shot) ?"

You can map multiple buttons to the same input, then just have autofire on one of those.
Thank you :-}
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Does anybody know how to unlock the “House Full of Pets” trophy? The description reads “Collect all four pets in one room in Irori’s Room” but I’ve no idea how it works.
Special World

Post by Special World »

So what is the requirement for the 1up in stage 4? I always get it in training abd rarely get it in a run.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Shameful confession time: I actually kinda like Irori's Room. I don't play it much but I like the bite-size mission structure with the dopamine chase of little knick-knacks to place around. I just wish it was more standalone and not so obviously sutured out of the arcade game (starting a mission mid-explosion of the previous midboss feels jarring).
Rupert H wrote:Does anybody know how to unlock the “House Full of Pets” trophy? The description reads “Collect all four pets in one room in Irori’s Room” but I’ve no idea how it works.
You eventually unlock animals as you play through the stages - animal icons of the pets you have in the sub-menu.
Special World wrote:So what is the requirement for the 1up in stage 4? I always get it in training abd rarely get it in a run.
Your character has to be over the red-gem in the middle of the last train car as it passes over you. I -think- you can't be bombing while you overlap it. If I have meter I bomb a little bit before to give me an easy pickup.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Why's that shameful? Room mode is great fun. I'm kinda afraid to play it too much though, lest i alter my expectation of characters' power and such.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

EmperorIng wrote: You eventually unlock animals as you play through the stages - animal icons of the pets you have in the sub-menu.
Do you unlock the actual pets? I’ve unlocked four pieces of furniture that have small purple pet icons (I have different icon for each pet) and set them all up in a room, but nothing popped.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Special World wrote:So what is the requirement for the 1up in stage 4? I always get it in training abd rarely get it in a run.
Fly on top of the right train close to start of the stage.
You only need to be on top of it towards the end of it.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Thank you. It does get away from me sometimes.

This game kills kills kills. Never had so much fun training. M2's training mode is the bomb. I have golds on everything except the last boss, but I gotta practice 4 and 5 a lot more. I'm hoping to get te 1cc--gonna be a real stretch for me.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

heh, I just realized that in order to score this game, you're going to have loooooong boss battles.
Special World

Post by Special World »

finisherr wrote:heh, I just realized that in order to score this game, you're going to have loooooong boss battles.
I think they cleared that up in Arcade+, no?

Is it because you can shoot things like the bullet canisters on the rolling tank boss, or what? I dont quite understand why the game is milky.