Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Queen Charlene

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Queen Charlene »

i randomly got back into a Seibu wave again and started re-playing Raiden Fighters 1, 2, and Jet interchangably. god, how did i forget how fucking amazing Raiden Fighters Jet is? :shock:
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

Still playing DOJ WL. I also randomly booted up some Gradius and got to the third stage before dying, then I just gave up.
NINE

Post by NINE »

At work, during my downtime and on breaks, I am making my way through Aka to Blue. Touch controls are making me very aware of how bad I move on my stick.

At home, Graze Counter and Ketsui.

Rolling Gunner and TwinBee on the switch if I boot it up.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ACES.

I can't stop playing P-47 Aces. It's so good.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Trying to get a shit clear of Mamoru-kun TLB, but I'm getting a bit frustrated at the TLBs second attack. I can't really get down a clean strategy for it; the purple orbs seem really random sometimes. 99% I die from an orb I couldn't even see zooming past me from off screen and killing me instantly. Does anyone have a clean strategy for this?

(This game is great though seriously.)
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Dodonpachi Daioujou White Label, day 226. I've reached washing machine again but died. Had 4 lives on 2-5 and 3 lives on Koryu.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Messing with In The Hunt, despite being a little unsure as to whether I actually like it or not. It's even more insanely detailed than Metal Slug, but sometimes to the detriment of visibility. Quirky little thing. I'd rather have a Mr Heli release though.

And still playing Gridrunner on PS4. It's a crying shame that more people aren't.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
solidus

Post by solidus »

Not totally sure if its officially considered a shmup (Im pretty new around here) but I have been really into Metal Slug 1 lately. Its one of my favorite game series of all time, and Ive been trying to really master them lately. Been playing the first one on MAME. I would love to get my hands on a proper NEOGEO style joystick setup for my PC
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

I've been going all in on Truxton II lately. Last night, I reached stage 5, which is arguably the hardest stage in the game, so I'll be working on that for a while before I attempt it again. I'm going for that clear. I want to become a 達人王.
2a03

Post by 2a03 »

鋳薔薇
Acti

Post by Acti »

Just started my serious first 1CC of Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION. I've been playing shumps since I remember but never tried to go for 1CCs or Highscores since I didn't have anyone to compete with. Everything changed at the beginning of this year, when I found out about the shumps forum/online rankings.

Any tips for the start of this wild ride?
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Finally managed to try doing some runs in Mushihimesama Original again, but I'm just giving up on improving my result at this point. It's deceptively tough in a really stupid way. Despite doing great with moderate savestate practice and bombing any doubtful patterns, I just keep clipping random bullets all over the game. This feels very annoying and kills any joy I had while playing this mode. Guess I'm done with it, after all.

But I'm not giving up on the game as a whole. Maniac having more bullets and slower patterns should make routing more rigid and obvious. I'll try it once I get an Espgaluda 1cc.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

CyberAngel wrote:Maniac having more bullets and slower patterns should make routing more rigid and obvious.
This is something I find really interesting about Mushi Original and Maniac: survival-wise, the latter doesn't feel like it's simply a harder Original in a linear or uncomplicated way (unless Maniac's endgame is a sudden difficulty spike). Like, I still have more difficulty with some boss patterns on Original than their Maniac variants, mainly because I find the Maniac patters easier to read. The slowdown helps as well. And my progress with both has always been more or less equal (I can consistently get to stage 4 in both; maybe I should make one last push on the game and finally nab a Cave 1cc or two...).
blossom

Post by blossom »

Been playing Dragon Blaze again, made it to stage 4 on one credit for the first time. Apparently using bombs allows you to live longer, who woulda thought? Glancing at videos this game's bullets seem to get absurd in stage 6, hopefully it's not quite as scary as it looks.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Gave Mushi Maniac a try, and it feels pretty doable this time around. A lot of routes and strats from Original are still useful, though a lot of stuff also needs relearning and getting used to, obviously. At least there are no suddenly fast bullets out of nowhere, it was surprising to realize just how many times that was used in the other mode. Oh yeah, the player's shot seems to be stronger as well. M-Power kicks much more ass, though not sure how it compares to others now.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Trying out Detena Twinbee again since it had a recent release. Trying to decide if I want to continue and listen to that damn bell sound effect, as I'd rather not mute the whole game. Makes me wonder if there are romhacks for Twinbee/Parodius games to give them a less annoying sound.
Marc wrote:Messing with In The Hunt, despite being a little unsure as to whether I actually like it or not. It's even more insanely detailed than Metal Slug, but sometimes to the detriment of visibility. Quirky little thing. I'd rather have a Mr Heli release though.
Yes, the "can this hurt me" mind game is interesting in In The Hunt. The docks stage that just rains down rubble that won't kill you, the beginning of the volcano stage with the bright orange bubbles that don't kill you, the whole giant monster stage and discerning what part of him will or won't kill you, just ramming through terrain pieces because it's faster than shooting, etc.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Currently working on Rolling Gunner Expert. CSF has a higher Original score to beat too, and I still need to no-miss Casual (I keep losing a life to the TLB, game slowly wears me down). I think I'm pretty close to an Expert clear! It won't be a true all but I think I'll be able to reach the final boss with a couple lives in stock to just resource it to death.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Gave Eden's Edge DOOM mode a try. My opinion - all these lazy unbalanced accelerated modes in this and his later games aren't worth the time.

Hell mode does look like something I could seriously pick up to work on though. No idea where I got so much skill that something like it starts feeling doable but I sure hope I can keep it up :)
durias

Post by durias »

Sine Mora EX
Neurocrasher

Post by Neurocrasher »

DariusburstCS and Pentasma. The latter is a new Defender clone that currently doesn't have much competition on the leaderboard. Last I looked, one player made up most of the top 30 or so.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Giga Wing. Made it to the 3rd boss on one credit, but have hit a wall here. I'm still not sold on the sticks in the Capcom Arcade either, I'd rather have them with much less travel. BKR managed a no-reflect clear of this.... :shock:
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i've fallen back into a Ketsui wave after acquiring the PS3 version of the game... alongside grinding myself into dust playing DFK 1.5 Novice.

my PBs are slowly climbing with each run and i'm performing better in my biggest struggle areas, and i've started applying some minimal amounts of boss milking into my scoring routes. i'm also experimenting a lot with picking specific parts of runs where hypering could result in bigger score (2 and 4 are my current research avenues), and trying to get stage 1 down consistently.

it's a very easy stage, but when you start playing it trying to milk out as much score as you can, it's really easy to accidentally overshoot or slam into a bullet or ship accidentally, or kill the mini-boss too fast... i actually have a harder time getting stage 1's strategy down than i do for something like stage 2 or 3 :lol:

grinding Ketsui has really refined a lot of my ship movement and decision-making in DFK, interestingly enough...
Marc

Post by Marc »

St Dragon. It's bitchin'. Lovely visuals, great soundtrack, an nice old-school gameplay. Not quite as much as a ballbreaker as I remember the Amiga version being either.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Same, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Saint Dragon given its iffy rep (though as noted elsewhere, several of my favourites are eccentrics). Gets going fast and stage 3 is absolutely blazing - love the balance of slow homing shots and vicious (yet deftly-telegraphed) linear attacks. Have put it aside until I can get home and continue on PS4, was already hooked and getting well into stage 4 on MAME road-testing.

On a minor early Neo Geo kick ATM, having long been acquainted with the solid NAM-1975 and more limited Magician Lord. Gave Ghost Pilots a spin, wasn't entirely surprised to find its ill repute overstated. A Toaplan knockoff for sure, but not offensively so. Solid fundamentals and decent tension. Could've used a wider shot to offset the lack of vertical space - intercepting oncoming zako without getting dinged is a bit onerous - and its waves are too transparently repetitive, but there's always Kyuukyoku Tiger MD for true Toaplanesque excellence in 4:3.

Wish it wouldn't break up its nice, earthy, sniper tank-infested swamplands and forests with dull docklands and trainyards. The rural battlegrounds are definitely its stronger aesthetic. Loved the first stage's segue from a muddy monster tank lair to a high-altitude cloud sequence. Nothing exceptional, but not the unmitigated Euro-Toaplan I've seen it castigated as.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Saint Dragon looks cool. Will pick it up for sure at some stage.

Played a few credits of Captain Tomaday over the weekend. Not terrible, but not a whole lot of fun either. Not sure I can be bothered to learn this one.

Also played a bit of Twinkle Star Sprites after picking up ADK Damashii on sale. It seems a lot of fun. Will spend more time on this and delve into the mechanics. Watched the ever-awesome STG weekly episode today and feel better prepared for my next playthrough.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

yo i'll play some Twinkle Star on Fightcade :o i really like that game!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I have it on PS4, currently don't have fightcade on my PC.

And as much as I enjoy getting my ass handed to me, the distance between our locations would probably be unplayable. Thanks for the offer though :)
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

Spent an hour messing around on Ghost Pilots last night. Potentially the sort of thing I could really enjoy, if only the sprites weren’t so damn huge! Instead I just spent most of my time wishing I was playing Flying Shark instead. Come on M2, where’s my Toaplan!
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Taking a break from Truxton II. Going back to the first Truxton to try for a 2-ALL. This game's a lot of fun!
FRO

Post by FRO »

Playing a bit of Saint Dragon, now that I picked it up, but mostly working on Grid Seeker. I also need to get back to Ketsui at some point...