Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
The Zuck

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by The Zuck »

I'm using my Saturn pads with Yaba Sanshiro and I noticed the forward button (R button) doesn't register a press. I'm assuming this isn't normal?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

The Zuck wrote:I'm using my Saturn pads with Yaba Sanshiro and I noticed the forward button (R button) doesn't register a press. I'm assuming this isn't normal?
Hello, could you please give us more information? Which specific controller are you using (USB, Saturn port, wired, 2.4 GHz, Bluetooth, etc)?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Retro-Bit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Heyo, I sent the support team an email a few days ago, no response yet. Does it usually take a few days? Also, do you know by any chance if the limited edition pink controllers are shipping soon? I scooped up two of them :D
We should be able to respond by next week (or sooner) due to Christmas and the holidays. Give us some time! :)

The Gamepink SEGA Controllers should be shipping in early/mid January. :)
Hey homeslice, about 2 weeks now and still no response :’(

Not miffed or anything just wondering if it got lost in the abyss...? I miss using that wired controller with the wonderful longggg cable!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

kitty666cats wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Heyo, I sent the support team an email a few days ago, no response yet. Does it usually take a few days? Also, do you know by any chance if the limited edition pink controllers are shipping soon? I scooped up two of them :D
We should be able to respond by next week (or sooner) due to Christmas and the holidays. Give us some time! :)

The Gamepink SEGA Controllers should be shipping in early/mid January. :)
Hey homeslice, about 2 weeks now and still no response :’(

Not miffed or anything just wondering if it got lost in the abyss...? I miss using that wired controller with the wonderful longggg cable!
Hmm, not sure. Did you hit the info@retro-bit.com account? If you did, apologies! We will follow up with our team.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Retro-Bit wrote:
The Zuck wrote:I'm using my Saturn pads with Yaba Sanshiro and I noticed the forward button (R button) doesn't register a press. I'm assuming this isn't normal?
Hello, could you please give us more information? Which specific controller are you using (USB, Saturn port, wired, 2.4 GHz, Bluetooth, etc)?
USB Wired. I'm not sure what else to say beyond that? The button isn't working whatsoever. I'm using Yaba Shanshiro on my Nvidia Shield.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

The Zuck wrote:USB Wired. I'm not sure what else to say beyond that? The button isn't working whatsoever. I'm using Yaba Shanshiro on my Nvidia Shield.
Have you tried switching between D-Input and X-Input? To switch input modes, you will need to hold Start for 5 seconds (or Start + B if it is the Switch compatible version). Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with that program in particular so I do not know if there's any way to modify inputs within the program as most other emulators allow you to.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Retro-Bit wrote:
The Zuck wrote:USB Wired. I'm not sure what else to say beyond that? The button isn't working whatsoever. I'm using Yaba Shanshiro on my Nvidia Shield.
Have you tried switching between D-Input and X-Input? To switch input modes, you will need to hold Start for 5 seconds (or Start + B if it is the Switch compatible version). Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with that program in particular so I do not know if there's any way to modify inputs within the program as most other emulators allow you to.
I don't have the Switch version I'm fairly sure. Anyway, doing that made it worse. I don't think X-input works on Android. Regardless, it didn't solve my issue. I'll try testing on a PC to see if there is still no right shoulder button input. If not, can I possibly look at getting an exchange?

EDIT: I did some research and it seems depending on the input mode different software will read the controller differently as you've stated. However, it doesn't seem like any emulator beyond SSF and RetroArch on PC reads the Saturn Pad correctly. I was able to register R button presses on the PC. I've read that for some reason the R button registers as an analog trigger for some reason. So I guess I'll have to either find another solution for my Shield or wait for Saturn emulation in RetroArch Android to improve. Sorry to bother you with this. Thanks for your help, Retro-Bit.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Bt receivers appear to be widely available.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Retro-Bit wrote:Hmm, not sure. Did you hit the info@retro-bit.com account? If you did, apologies! We will follow up with our team.
Hey just an update for ya, it showed up in my junk folder (just like a lot of other important emails I've had in the past, ugh!)

Andres O. was the rep who helped me, and he was totally awesome. You guys have great customer service (and that includes you)!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

kitty666cats wrote:Andres O. was the rep who helped me, and he was totally awesome. You guys have great customer service (and that includes you)!
Thanks, it's greatly appreciated! We all wear a lot of hats here so we appreciate people's patience. :D
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

It’s been 2 weeks since my replacement controllers were apparently sent to me and they are still not here. Are these coming from overseas? Because if it’s domestic shipping they should have got here by now. I tried send you an email but have not received a reply. This is red flag. What’s going on?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

opt2not wrote:It’s been 2 weeks since my replacement controllers were apparently sent to me and they are still not here. Are these coming from overseas? Because if it’s domestic shipping they should have got here by now. I tried send you an email but have not received a reply. This is red flag. What’s going on?
We're running a skeleton crew and trying to catch up on our shipments. I believe we should be caught up in the next few days. Apologies for the wait. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

@Retro-Bit

I want to buy a wireless Saturn controller. Do you offer replacement controllers or parts if I get one with the sticky C-button? Either is fine by me, but I ask since this is a more expensive item than the regular controllers where you were kind enough to send me a replacement.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Konsolkongen wrote:@Retro-Bit

I want to buy a wireless Saturn controller. Do you offer replacement controllers or parts if I get one with the sticky C-button? Either is fine by me, but I ask since this is a more expensive item than the regular controllers where you were kind enough to send me a replacement.
Yes. If you have any issues, shoot us an e-mail and we will help find a solution. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you :)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hey Retro-Bit, I'd like to bring this up again in the new year: have you talked with the major console manufacturers at all regarding licensed Sega pads that work natively with PS4 or Xbox One?

There's sorely little selection of this type of controller for mainline consoles..
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:Hey Retro-Bit, I'd like to bring this up again in the new year: have you talked with the major console manufacturers at all regarding licensed Sega pads that work natively with PS4 or Xbox One?

There's sorely little selection of this type of controller for mainline consoles..
We have been exploring options going forward. Currently, we have been working with Brook to update their dongles to allow our controllers to function across a variety of platforms. They have been very cool about it all. To my knowledge:

- SEGA Wired USB and 2.4 GHz USB receivers are able to work with their PS3->PS4 Converter (white) and PS3/4->Xbox One Converter (red)
- SEGA Bluetooth controllers are able to connect wirelessly to the Brook PS4/Switch -> PS4/Switch Converter (red dongle)

These are workarounds for now but their stuff is pretty good to keep around. We will continue to work on solutions.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Good to hear there are future possibilities. I've been aware of the Brook compatibility but for various reasons would much prefer native options.

I'm sure you'll update us as soon as there are any new models to announce. :D
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Got my replacement controllers in today. These definitely fix the sticky c-button issue. I’m happy they got here before a planned gaming party I’m throwing tomorrow.

The button now operates as it should, and is consistent with the rest of the buttons.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Can you visually tell what was revised to fix the issue?
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Today I plugged my Saturn 2.4GHz receiver into my PC to update the FW. However, Windows 10 refuses to recognize it and now it no longer works in the Saturn?

Can't be a bad FW update, as I never got that far.

How can simply plugging the dongle into a PC brick it???

On another note, my Megadrive version (again on OG hardware) does not always pair when the console is turned on (like most of the time). Controller is fully charged and sitting literally right next to the console.

Didn't expect to have these issues with both controllers TBH.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

bigbadboaz wrote:Can you visually tell what was revised to fix the issue?
Not without opening it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Has anyone had their L button get stuck down on their 2.4Ghz Saturn controller? I've kind of rested my finger on it and gotten it stuck depressed and leaning forward or back.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Marler

Post by Marler »

mremulator wrote:Today I plugged my Saturn 2.4GHz receiver into my PC to update the FW. However, Windows 10 refuses to recognize it and now it no longer works in the Saturn?

On another note, my Megadrive version (again on OG hardware) does not always pair when the console is turned on (like most of the time). Controller is fully charged and sitting literally right next to the console.

Same thing happened to me, but I tried someone else's laptop and it worked.
(I'm guessing you're getting the 'unrecognized device' type message? When it works correctly it won't bring up any notifications at all, even in the .exe file included in patch package.)

After that I followed the instructions and it worked, even a little less lag as well!

But yeah, it seems a bit hit and miss, try with as many other computers as you can, not ideal, but fixable at least!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

mremulator wrote:Today I plugged my Saturn 2.4GHz receiver into my PC to update the FW. However, Windows 10 refuses to recognize it and now it no longer works in the Saturn?

Hello,

When setting the receiver into update mode, it will not light up or work as a normal receiver until the firmware has been applied. It sounds like the PC you're connecting to did not recognize the device when you connected it. We recommend trying other USB ports or (as stated already) another computer.
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Marler wrote:

Same thing happened to me, but I tried someone else's laptop and it worked.
(I'm guessing you're getting the 'unrecognized device' type message? When it works correctly it won't bring up any notifications at all, even in the .exe file included in patch package.)

After that I followed the instructions and it worked, even a little less lag as well!

But yeah, it seems a bit hit and miss, try with as many other computers as you can, not ideal, but fixable at least!
Yea, tried that. Multiple USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 ports. 2 different PC's. Not good.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Yeah I'm in a similar boat here. Finally got around to trying to update the receiver and its won't talk to any of my PCs. I've tried it on every USB port on 3 Windows 10 machines, and a Windows 7 machine, NOTHING.

*edit*

I found another micro usb cable and tried that and it worked instantly. So if you're having problems maybe try a different USB cable.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Retro-Bit wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Hey Retro-Bit, I'd like to bring this up again in the new year: have you talked with the major console manufacturers at all regarding licensed Sega pads that work natively with PS4 or Xbox One?

We have been exploring options going forward. Currently, we have been working with Brook to update their dongles to allow our controllers to function across a variety of platforms. They have been very cool about it all. To my knowledge:

- SEGA Wired USB and 2.4 GHz USB receivers are able to work with their PS3->PS4 Converter (white) and PS3/4->Xbox One Converter (red)
- SEGA Bluetooth controllers are able to connect wirelessly to the Brook PS4/Switch -> PS4/Switch Converter (red dongle)

These are workarounds for now but their stuff is pretty good to keep around. We will continue to work on solutions.
I have a bunch of Brook PS4->Whatever adapters (currently PS4->Dreamcast, PS4->PS1/PS2, and PS4->PC Engine and Megadrive). If you can get them to incorporate compatibility into those adapters (the Saturn controllers in particular) I'll happily run out and buy a couple USB versions as a result.

I actually picked up the Retro-Bit Saturn controller for, well, Saturn a few weeks back. Put it through its paces over the weekend and it feels good overall. I have a few good working Model 2 controllers already so I'm not sure if it will replace them (triggers aren't as nice), but overall I can still recommend it pretty highly. The controller feels legit.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Question: are the bluetooth controllers able to turn the Switch on via a home button or does it need to be turned on first?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Has anyone else had as bad of luck as me with the Genesis wired controllers?

I've had 3 seperate retro-bit 6 button contollers (dsub connector) that will randomly stop accepting input from the XYZ buttons.
The latest one now also doesn't work with a couple other ones.

It was such a pain to troubleshoot and I thought it was my genesis until I bought a used original sega 6 button controller that has been rock solid.

1st time I thought there may have been an issue with the a solder joint, and I exchanged it via amazon. Bought another controller so I could have 2.
One now is unusable even as a 3 button pad as half the directoinal and xyz + start won't work.
The other still will not work with XYZ.

Meanwhile, my factory sega controllers (3 and 6 button) are flawless.

I've got a wired saturn controller that has been wonderful, but I'm very hesitent to purchase anything else from Retrobit at this point.