M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ATTRACTS

Re: M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

Post by ATTRACTS »

Zeether wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
Zeether wrote:So do the English trophies mean this has a chance of a localization? Would love the Switch release for portability...
How important is localization in a shmup where all of the menus have been translated here for you? I don’t say that to be snarky, I’m genuinely curious if there’s something I’m missing.
Because it'd be cheaper than buying JP eShop/PSN cards?

I'm just frustrated that there's radio silence from M2 on western releases of these excellent ports because either Dangun and Garegga bombed here due to people being complete fools about the cost not being worth it or they just hate the west for some reason. It doesn't bode well for the Toaplan stuff either.
It’s 4500 yen which translates to $42.00 USD. A 5000 yen card is $49.99. I guess I don’t see that much of a big deal with an extra $7-8 bucks(assuming you’re in the States). There is very little reason for them to release completely niche titles over here when everyone has stuffed their asses full of first person shooters and other garbage. They aren’t going to spend more resources than needed when they are already probably pushing their own limits money wise to make these happen. I bought the digital and grabbed the physical PS4 release. You want these games to continue, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Im in 100% agreeance with ATTRACTS. I don't mean to sound mean, but if spending a few extra bucks on a worthy game will break the bank, then one should evaluate their life decisions . In all seriousness, I love supporting companies and projects like this. These aren't huge blockbusters and they need all the support they can get. As far as localization goes. Who cares. Japanese, English, whatever. They're shooters not RPGs. let's stop being so trivial.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I think the major menus in this one are mostly easy, and the options are something you have to look up once and then never again. I'm not sure--do we have a translation of the Esper Room missions?

I have a number of import titles, including the entire Cave 360 catalog. That being said, I was always annoyed by my Japanese copy of Akai Katana. I always forgot which options were which on the pause menu. So it makes sense to me to prefer an English version, especially because Esp.rade has more text and menus and Esper missions than most shmups.

I'm loving the ShotTriggers games, and i'd hate to put myself in limbo waiting to play this one, or Garegga, or the future Toaplan titles. But people have prefences, and even "trivial" preferences aren't trivial when it comes to a videogame purchase.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Xyga wrote:
03-01-2020 08:19 The delivery of the item was unsuccessful
what - the - fuck

:shock:

Dunno where this is going but PA + PostNL = never again
Agreed. Just got shafted by customs in the UK when it *finally* arrived whereas normally games from the Far East just get delivered.

Going to have to stick to eBay in the future...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I came into shmups primarily in the Saturn/Dreamcast era where imports were simply required as there was little hope of any of the big-name games getting western releases. These last few years of physical releases have once again filled my shelves with kanji-covered spines, and it puts a dumb, nostalgic smile on my face. It's really silly, but there's some elitist joy I get from "being in the know" and hunting down these masterpieces that 99% of modern gamers don't even know exist. That said, I take ANY western release and would gladly double-dip on Esprade if I were so lucky to see it come to life.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Special World wrote:Wait, where's the option for hitboxes? Is it obvious and I just haven't looked?
Game Settings - Other Settings:

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sparkoids wrote:
Xyga wrote:
what - the - fuck

Agreed. Just got shafted by customs in the UK when it *finally* arrived whereas normally games from the Far East just get delivered.

Mine arrived today, and although I wasn't charged extra it was definitely held in customs, there's a half-torn yellow sticker stating it's not fulfilling conditions for articles something something.

P-A have the wrong carrier/shipping method here, clearly.

EDIT: anyway nice port indeed, as expected from M2 we're used to that quality now.
Noticed a slight desync moment but nothing to cry about.
Output options still lacking but tweaking using the PS4's resolution, display area, and in particular supersampling settings it looks good-enough.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Doesn't PlayAsia ship everything from Hong Kong? Usually items posted from there get delivered without any additional customs fees to the UK, regardless of the value of the item... :shock:
At least in my experience of living here for the last 10 years :mrgreen:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It transits via the Netherlands then it's handed to the various countries postal services. Dunno why they chose that method with PostNL, seems to be the wrong choice/horse.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm glad this story is happy end for you, Xyga. Now to join the rest of us in gacha mode. :mrgreen:

I got almost 7mill by 5.1 in Arcade Plus with J-B. I'm getting better, even if I'm not very consistent in getting combos, especially on the first stage when I don't have enough shot power. My score on stage 1 (B) fluctuates between 700k and 880k before the boss, and I consider it 'good enough' to end the stage with 1.1 million.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

werk91 wrote:Doesn't PlayAsia ship everything from Hong Kong? Usually items posted from there get delivered without any additional customs fees to the UK, regardless of the value of the item... :shock:
At least in my experience of living here for the last 10 years :mrgreen:
I've heard several people say this, but I've had the opposite experience: I used to use them regularly between '05 and '08 without ever getting import duties, but after that period I would always get caught! :cry: To compound things PA now have slower and more expensive postage options nowadays, so I've used Amazon.co.jp or ebay for most of the stuff I've imported in the past few years.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Xyga wrote: Mine arrived today, and although I wasn't charged extra it was definitely held in customs, there's a half-torn yellow sticker stating it's not fulfilling conditions for articles something something.

P-A have the wrong carrier/shipping method here, clearly.

EDIT: anyway nice port indeed, as expected from M2 we're used to that quality now.
Noticed a slight desync moment but nothing to cry about.
Output options still lacking but tweaking using the PS4's resolution, display area, and in particular supersampling settings it looks good-enough.
Glad you got it. Mine's in the country according to Royal Mail tracking so hopefully not far off now.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Sparkoids wrote:
Xyga wrote:
what - the - fuck

same here £18 customs,gonna wait till it’s on Amorim or eBay next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Can you change the voices back to orignals in Plus and Custom modes ?

Somehow I like the remixed musics but the new voices not so much, JB5th sounds like a douchebag.

EDIT: I don't get that part
Ψセット システムボイス設定: "Psi" modes: system voice
  • システムボイス(男): System voice (male)
  • システムボイス(女): System voice (female)
  • 相模祐介: Yusuke Sagami
  • 美作いろり: Irori Mimasaka
  • アリスマスター: Alice Master
  • 近江覚: Satoru Oumi
  • ガラ婦人: Ms. Garra
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

And it's finally here, dodging customs luckily. Can't remember the last time I was stung for customs from Japan actually. Never have been from China or elsewhere and Asia. It's only the USA which seems to get me every time.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

This game is awesome,I expected to be like a easy ketsui,I was very wrong the characters movement feels different to say a typical ship I think that was a pleasant surprise how it feels similar yet different!and it’s very challenging!hope m2 continues giving us these great games for consoles.cant belive cave don’t make shmups any more,and here we are playing a 22year old game and it’s awsome!

Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Ddshot wrote:This game is awesome,I expected to be like a easy ketsui,I was very wrong the characters movement feels different to say a typical ship I think that was a pleasant surprise how it feels similar yet different!and it’s very challenging!hope m2 continues giving us these great games for consoles.cant belive cave don’t make shmups any more,and here we are playing a 22year old game and it’s awsome!

Just remember this is the best game ever made by Cave

All other opnions are invalid. That is the Law :mrgreen:
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

^ You mean violations will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam! :mrgreen:
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

6t8k wrote:^ You mean violations will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam! :mrgreen:
I grin like a fool every time I load the game up and see that message. :)

Got to say having the option to have visible a hitbox is a real revelation. The way the sprite shifts across when moving laterally can make misjudging the hitbox so easy. I'll certainly take the advice someone previosuly mentioned here, tapping instead of holding when moving sideways when moving through tight spots. I'm finding the Ketsui-style multiplier counter handy too!
Special World

Post by Special World »

Watching superays for this one are especially intimidating because I have a hard time getting consistent x16s on the big enemies. I dunno if it's just a matter of memorizing the "feel" of them, and if my window for killing them while they're "tagged" is running out. But it's very perplexing sometimes when I don't get a x16. Also unsure how long the multiplier lasts--if it increases in duration for every enemy killed or what. So i'll try to turn that on in th eoptions and see if it gives me what i need.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The timing between the shot and bubbles changes depending on the enemy, yeah. You have to get a feel for it based on experience. Some bigger enemies also need to be weakened a bit before performing the trick.

Dunno how it is in the M2 port, but on the arcade version if you hold B while pressing Start to begin a credit, you will see the multiplier and its timer near the top corners of the screen on your player side. That should give you a good indication of how long you can cash in on that mutiplier.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

M.Knight wrote:The timing between the shot and bubbles changes depending on the enemy, yeah. You have to get a feel for it based on experience. Some bigger enemies also need to be weakened a bit before performing the trick.

Dunno how it is in the M2 port, but on the arcade version if you hold B while pressing Start to begin a credit, you will see the multiplier and its timer near the top corners of the screen on your player side. That should give you a good indication of how long you can cash in on that mutiplier.
It's the same, and you actually earn a trophy doing it on the PS4 version.
zakk

Post by zakk »

M.Knight wrote:The timing between the shot and bubbles changes depending on the enemy, yeah. You have to get a feel for it based on experience. Some bigger enemies also need to be weakened a bit before performing the trick.

You can also permanently turn on that display in the port's options. Do it manually once to earn the PS4 trophy and then turn it on forever.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Ddshot wrote:This game is awesome,I expected to be like a easy ketsui,I was very wrong the characters movement feels different to say a typical ship I think that was a pleasant surprise how it feels similar yet different!and it’s very challenging!hope m2 continues giving us these great games for consoles.cant belive cave don’t make shmups any more,and here we are playing a 22year old game and it’s awsome!

I say that to myself every time. Been playing a bunch of PS4 Battle Garegga and thinking what an amazing game. And the thing is over 20 years old. Now Im doing another playthrough of Mario 64 and I feel 99% of modern games cant touch the level design of this over 20 year old game.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Jonpachi wrote:I came into shmups primarily in the Saturn/Dreamcast era where imports were simply required as there was little hope of any of the big-name games getting western releases. These last few years of physical releases have once again filled my shelves with kanji-covered spines, and it puts a dumb, nostalgic smile on my face. It's really silly, but there's some elitist joy I get from "being in the know" and hunting down these masterpieces that 99% of modern gamers don't even know exist. That said, I take ANY western release and would gladly double-dip on Esprade if I were so lucky to see it come to life.
I know exactly what you mean! I would have preferred a cheaper digital USA release for this game, but once I got my physical import version in the mail last week, I felt just like I did when importing shooters in the late '90s/early '00s. It's been a while since I've dropped full price on a physical import release ($60+).
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Anyone notice in the art book that JB 5th is referred to as "Black Peter Pan"? I never really thought too much about his costume design before, other than it being pretty androgynous, but now it all makes sense!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Black Peter Pan sounds like the title of a Lil B song.
clippa

Post by clippa »

White Peter Pan was already taken by Michael Jackson.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I love this game. So glad it finally has a good home port. Wish more of it was in English though. Hard to figure out some things.

Anyone know how much lag this has, compared to the PCB? (sorry if this has been asked)
What is the usual ShotTrigger lag?
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I love this game. So glad it finally has a good home port. Wish more of it was in English though. Hard to figure out some things.

Anyone know how much lag this has, compared to the PCB? (sorry if this has been asked)
What is the usual ShotTrigger lag?
I'm playing on both PS4 and PCB, and I can't notice any additional lag in the port.
If anything, I seem to be doing better on the PS4 compared to on PCB for some reason...

I think PCB is 2 frames or something?

edit: Apparently the Switch version has 1-2 frames more lag according to forums (page 10 of this thread, as well as on cave-stg.com)