Shmup Goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MathU

Re: Shmup Goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

Post by MathU »

Maybe this is the year I'll finally put together that Darius Gaiden website I've been planning for a long time...
Aww who am I kidding.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

(1) Still pretty new to shmups, so I'm not gonna directly list any achievements because they're eh.

(2) I abandoned quite a few games before clearing them, despite making progress in them. Of the games I did clear, I mostly settled for "barely there, mostly luck" clears or clears on the easier difficulty settings. I also still haven't started focusing and playing any single game for score.

(3) I was quite excited about prales suddenly returning to the BWR/+ thread and posting a new super impressive score seemingly every other day. That was fun to watch. Was also really nice to see the newest Special Demonstrations vid featuring Plasmo clearing Pink Sweets 1.00.

(4) Hopefully writing my goals down in public like this will actually motivate(/force) me to actually work on (at least some of) them lol

- CLEARS: Bakraid Normal Course, Batrider Normal Course with anyone but Shorty (stupid thing to feel, but my first Raizing clear felt a bit cheap because Shorty B is pretty OP), a non-looping Cave game, a 1-ALL of a looping Cave game, a Touhou on anything other than easy or normal (I really like what I've played of UFO but fuck me), at least a few of the various other doujin games I've abandoned...

- Not really a clear, but I want to be able to reach at least stage 5 of Pink Sweets consistently. In no hurry to clear it, but I want to eventually. I had a tremendous amount of fun playing it enough to reach the stage 3 boss consistently, but then I watched a run to see what the later stages were like and stupidly decided to drop it because it's obviously out of my league.

- Relatedly: play Garegga more. Like PS, I'm in no hurry to clear it; I'll be happy enough just making more progress with it sporadically, in preparation for when I'm confident enough in my abilities to really focus on it.

- Wanna get out of my comfort zone of Doujin-Raizing-Cave and try some of the "not widely popular but loved by a few" arcade shmups out there...

- ...but I also want to stop telling myself that I'm still in that "looking for a game I like enough to play for score" phase and actually settle on a game to play for score. This is probably the goal I should focus on the most.

- Contribute an at least halfway decent score to the Hi Scores subforum.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I will bump by saying that prales, uh, clearly spurred on by my challenge, has 1-ALL'd Truxton II. Are we going to see a minor renaissance of shmup players proving themselves against this 'impossible' game? A silver lining to all the ugly drama over the last few months...
DaringSpino34 wrote: _Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arrange A Ura 2-All 17 Trillions World Record (Steam version)
I apologize for forgetting to mention this in my 'favorite achievements by others.' Any time someone manages a WR we should be celebrating! Especially in light of the "Favorite Cave Arranges" topics, where we ought to give some of these arrange modes more love (myself included).
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

MauCast wrote:(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
Give Game Tengoku a try, either the Arcade on MAME and/or the CruisinMix port!
(Arcade is better IMO)
I should be able to fulfill that :)
FRO

Post by FRO »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: Getting the Novice clear on Crimzon Clover: World Ignition. I did it in just a couple weeks, and I had spent years before telling myself I was terrible at danmaku games. It was a breakthrough moment for me as a player, knowing that I could achieve something that I had told myself I couldn't do.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: I didn't learn from my mistakes in Gradius III SNES, and failed to make it past the walkers soon enough to get the clear by the end of the month.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: Seeing Mark get his DDP 2-ALL. Was great to see him achieve his goal, and be so stoked about it.

(4) Goals for 2020: Because I'll be focusing on Ketsui much of 2020, I really want to get a first loop NMNB clear. I don't know that I'll have enough spare time to spend to get very far in the Ura loop, but I'd like to at least reach it, so I can savestate there and then practice as time allows. Hopefully a 1-year journey toward a first loop clear of that magnitude is not asking too much of myself :P
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

DenT4F wrote: -ZPS 46mil on Espgaluda. ZPS started playing the game not long before La Calice and to get 46mil so rapidly is quite impressive.
I looked it up and apparently my first 1cc and 46m were separated by just over 4 months. Even I didn't realize how quickly I progressed in that game.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: Reaching 46.8 mil in Eden's Edge on Heaven Mode. Kinda proud of figuring out how to use bombs for profit all by myself.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: Still don't have a Mushihimesama Original clear with spare lives. And still don't have an Espgaluda 1cc.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: EmperorIng scoring lower than me in Mushihimesama. Hey, last place is an honorable spot too :)

(4) Goals for 2020: Besides getting better everywhere, I can probably set clearing Hell modes in Green Wind and Eden's Edge as goals I'd love to reach or get close to.

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
- Play Green Wind. Like, just get it running and reasonably playable. Shoot for my Easy score if you're feeling competitive.
- Somebody, combine tactics from my and tinotormed's Eden's Edge runs and see if you can reach 50 mil. Old runs that have (allegedly) done so aren't available anymore.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: Joining La Calice and scoring well during this tourney.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: No DOJWL 2-ALL this year lol!

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019:
DDP 2-ALL 638m by Jaimers
DDP 2-ALL by Mark_MSX
Futari Ultra 1.01 by Gus
Ketsui 2-ALL by Moglar5K
Mushi Ultra by Kiwi
Sky Adventure WR by Ako
Same! Same! Same! 1p by Chum
DOJBL 3.1b by Iconoclast
And many many other runs

(4) Goals for 2020: DOJWL 2-ALL of course. And joining next La Calice too.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

CyberAngel wrote: (3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: EmperorIng scoring lower than me in Mushihimesama. Hey, last place is an honorable spot too :)
I can't help but feel like you're trying to challenge me...
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

EmperorIng wrote:I can't help but feel like you're trying to challenge me...
Not really, but I did start practicing it again, just sayin' ~_^
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019:
Thunder Dragon 2 5,6m no miss
Strikers 1945 no miss during practice for 1cc marathon, unintended but nice regardless. Clearing in the marathon was cool as well.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019:
Missing one blue medal in TD2 st4 which costed me the run from being 5,7m

Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019
There were a lot of great ones but from the ones I remember:
Lyv's Strikers 1999 3,1m NMNB
Jaimers breaking 600m in DDP
Iconoclast still destroying DOJBL
Maucast clearing Gunbird with Valnus and beating my score, nice to see a a clear that isn't Marion or Yuan Nang.

Goals for 2020:
Update at least one of my decent scores, and/or tackling a new game.

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
Play more psikyo.