PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MintyTheCat

Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by MintyTheCat »

I have been waiting for them to announce a PCE Mini and, although I only own a NG Mini I think that it's a welcome prospect for many - even those of us who've been playing on these platforms for eons and have many of the titles.

Actually, these days I have been playing a Bittboy mostly as it's simply easier and more portable and requires no set up time.
It's a bit of a faff to find the game then set things up I find when I do have the time.

I was interested in ordering the original white PCE - it's a beauty still and it's the first that I owned and still own - but games list wise the Core I is more suited to me.

On the subject of Sapphire: I own it myself but I have to say that although it looks pretty it's nothing special game play wise - stick to Soldeir Blade or Nezxr or GunHed.
I bought a Terra Onion PCE device - haven't had chance to use it yet - but it should save time in finding games. I fancy playing the Nexzr summer carnival '93 release to see how the taikai modes play. Can anyone recommend it and what's the opinion on taikai/competition special modes and editions on the PCE? I have seen the special taikai edition of GunHed and Soldier Blade but I don't own them.
More Bromances = safer people
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

parodius wrote:
Ghegs wrote:And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.
Salamander is indeed a plus, but too bad the included Splatterhouse for US/Eur is the censored US version with the red mask...

Still on the fence with this, I like the idea and most of the games are worth the price alone but I can't help feeling like it's a kick in the balls when you see Splatterhouse is the censored version and Snatcher (unless it's translated which i would doubt)
Domino

Post by Domino »

garrz32 wrote:
parodius wrote:
Ghegs wrote:And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.
Salamander is indeed a plus, but too bad the included Splatterhouse for US/Eur is the censored US version with the red mask...

Still on the fence with this, I like the idea and most of the games are worth the price alone but I can't help feeling like it's a kick in the balls when you see Splatterhouse is the censored version and Snatcher (unless it's translated which i would doubt)
I went ahead and I'm getting the EUR version from Amazon.jp (I should had done this a long time ago). TG-16 Mini looks ugly to me. Splatterhouse is so-so, I just want the shmups, or the jailbreak where I can load up the Mini with Hucard Roms and ISOs.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Domino wrote:the jailbreak where I can load up the Mini with Hucard Roms and ISOs.
Good luck on that actually happening. Only time will tell if enough of these hackers give a shit enough to bother modding a mini version of a console that probably only a few thousand people in the West even know about.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't know, anything 'new retro' is pretty popular, techie guys ar super curious and low key compete to show what and who can, then for some it's even a market.

Plus, b/c of the internet and emulation any console is known, even to tons of people who have had no relationship to most of the machines since they weren't even born.
Collectors will buy it anyway, especially considering this could become one of the rarest 'minis'..

Then well...even if the jailbreak never happens, it's sill a nice nostalgia toy. Personally I've missed tons of opportunities to get a proper NEC setup (the worst luck I had since in the hobby really) and today every hardware solution is quite expensive, magnitudes more.
So I'll still see it as a 'consolation prize' acquisition (pun intended)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Xyga wrote:I don't know, anything 'new retro' is pretty popular, techie guys ar super curious and low key compete to show what and who can, then for some it's even a market.
You may actually be right about that. I try not to think about how childish and petty so many of these people in these hacking communities are, but you make a very good point.
Collectors will buy it anyway, especially considering this could become one of the rarest 'minis'..
You may also be right on this, since artificial scarcity is the name of the game nowadays. Scalpers will basically drive up the price of anything that exists just on principle nowadays. We'll see how it turns out, but I can't see too many people caring outside of Japan.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
it290

Post by it290 »

Call me shallow but I had to go with the white PCE just so it matches the color scheme of my full-size cute bastard. Also got an additional turbo controller, but managed to convince myself out of buying the 'turbotap' since my OG one is still in a vacuum-sealed pack. The odds of my actually getting 5 people together to play Bomberman are next to nil, and were that to happen it's going to be Saturn Bomberman anyway.

Re: the shmups, I do think Gate is the biggest missed opportunity; it's not as flashy as Lords but it easily stands its own as a Thunderforce ripoff, even beating its inspiration in some respects. And if we're getting Air Zonk (which is a fantastic game), why not its companion piece Coryoon? That game is criminally undermentioned in most PCE shooter discussions.

edit: Also, regarding scalpers in Western territories, I think that hoarding these is probably a losing economic proposition. Scalpers were able to exploit the NES mini/SNES mini releases because the original distribution was pretty limited and Nintendo is a huge brand with tons of nostalgic appeal. I can count the number of people I knew grewing up who owned a TurboGrafx on one hand, and they were playing stuff like Keith Courage and Splatterhouse, not Spriggan and Dracula X. Most people who have a passing curiosity for these games are going to load them up on an emulator or play one of the numerous re-releases in the case of Rondo, not spend $100+ on a physical object they have no memory of or nostalgia for.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

it290 wrote:regarding scalpers in Western territories, I think that hoarding these is probably a losing economic proposition.
Yes.
it290 wrote:Scalpers were able to exploit the NES mini/SNES mini releases because the original distribution was pretty limited and Nintendo is a huge brand with tons of nostalgic appeal. I can count the number of people I knew growing up who owned a TurboGrafx on one hand...
I can count them on one finger.
it290 wrote:...and they were playing stuff like Keith Courage and Splatterhouse, not Spriggan and Dracula X. Most people who have a passing curiosity for these games are going to load them up on an emulator or play one of the numerous re-releases in the case of Rondo, not spend $100+ on a physical object they have no memory of or nostalgia for.
Bingo. More for me. I mean, "us."

Though to be fair, we really did play a ton of Air Zonk, Galaga '90, Monster Lair and Aero Blasters. Oh, and Valis II. That game was the shit.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

What's the game with the girl with the helmet with wings?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

evil_ash_xero wrote:What's the game with the girl with the helmet with wings?
From that description, I'm betting it's Valkyrie no Densetsu (Legend of Valkyrie). Namcot release, right?
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

evil_ash_xero wrote:What's the game with the girl with the helmet with wings?
Brünhilda the game! ;)
Spoiler
I agree that it's legend of valkilly, but I couldn't resist
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yup, a sort of adaptation of the original arcade release. There was a fan-translation made available a few years back from the pcefx forums that you can find at the usual sites.

Still making me hope there are some translations, but what a silly hope to hold on to.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Genesis and MD minis will have multiple languages and versions available, though some games are only available in one version. Telling from the Asian md mini page, Wrestleball doesn't play as Powerball with the system set to English. It's likely MWIV will be translated since it was translated for previous M2 releases. Langrisser II is on the Asian MD mini, which has mostly games available in English language versions, though I'm not sure on that one being translated. M2 has a couple translated games, but some are left untranslated, so I wouldn't count on a new one for tg16 mini, though it is possible.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Internet search is failing me - what are the power requirements for this thing? I'm assuming any old phone adapter will work but I'd like to be certain.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I wonder if PCE Mini will use original coded emulator or open-source like PS Classic's PCSX Rearmed emu. So far Mednafen PCE accurate core has been go-to PCE emu for accuracy.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

They should use Magic Engine for an extra dose of different, but very special, nostalgia. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, I imagine since it's M2 that it will be their own emulator.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I wonder if they’ll have a ‘disable sprite-limit’ option, or just be turned on by default. With this enabled in an emulator you get a false impression of how real PCE hardware actually performs. Look at R-Type for example, with the sprite-limit disabled the flicker is nowhere to be seen. It’s bot very authentic but I guess it’s more pleasing to play..
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

I have no Turbografx nostalgia but I was interested in this anyways until I actually played a bunch of the shmups. Only one really grabbed me, so I'll probably pass until a good deal shows up. If I wanted to drop $100 on a Soldier Blade machine I'd get a Wii U.

I'm a big fan of shmups that try something different and swing for the fences, so in theory Spriggan Mk2's crazy plot elements should be right up my alley BUT the story doesn't actually mix with the gameplay at all. Pausing the action every 2 minutes for some yelling in a language I don't understand got old really quick. If I got to shoot things while the story happened around me/in the background it would work so much better. I know you can turn it off but the actual shmupping isn't all that special without the GREG!s and CANINGHAM!s and CONLOD!s. Missed opportunity. :(
gray117

Post by gray117 »

reckon luck wrote:. If I wanted to drop $100 on a Soldier Blade machine I'd get a Wii U.
...as long as the it ends up good you'd be better off with pc engine mini. Fck Nintendo. Ah nostalgia is good - let the hate flow.

Personally loving these mini consoles - nostalgia is certainly the driver, but a nice bit of polished fun, decent pads and everything truly great about about these games and systems comes to the fore.

It's a bit of a shame that snk and Sony shit the bed out of the gate, but with m2 on the case; my hopes are high they know what notes to hit and do a good job on the technicalities.

No one needs these to simply play these games, but it is a nice chance to have an official product echoing the key aesthetics and details that go together to take the experience of the whole thing that little bit further.

Someone will always be tinkering with these - the better the base implementation/hardware I reckon the longer the tail on the hacking effort regardless of popularity.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Can we pre-order these yet? Where's a good place to import a variant not official to your region? I'd prefer the plain white PCE but I'd rather have Salamander than Tokimeki and I hate the NA TG16 aesthetic so guess I'll be looking to get the CoreGrafx version.
it290

Post by it290 »

You've been able to preorder them on Amazon JP for quite a while, I preordered a white one back in August. Not sure about the Euro model though-I checked Amazon UK and they won't ship to the US if that's where you are.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Thanks for the info. I remembered Play Asia exists and they have a listing but aren't yet taking pre-orders (for any of the variants): https://www.play-asia.com/pc-engine-cor ... /13/70cslt
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I have never owned a PC Engine, but I do find it's library interesting, especially the CD stuff. Unfortunately it's my impression that there is so much piracy out there that I don't even want to try and start a collection if I end up with any of that crap by accident.

The PC Engine Mini seems to have a really good library of games, so this mini console, more than any of the others is really interesting to me :)

Unfortunately I'm super sceptical of M2 being able to make the games look alright. Most if not all PC Engine games are 256 pixels wide (non square), and all Mega Drive games running at this resolution on the Mega Drive Mini look like garbage because of the resulting shimmering. I really hope that they take horisontal interpolation into consideration (like SNES Mini), or just keep the aspect too narrow, which isn't ideal either :/

Not to mention that they completely butchered the scanlines on the MD Mini. I've seen some terrible fake scanlines in many bad recent retro re-releases, but the ones on MD Mini probably takes the price as the worst ones.

I have no idea what M2 are doing. They do such a fine job with most of their releases, and completely butchers the rest. There was a time when you could buy just about anything by M2 and be pretty sure that it would look awesome, but at least they haven't started ruining their Shmup-releases yet.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Delayed to an unspecified date.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, was chatting about this at work today, seems quite likely the eventual PS5/Xbox launches will be delayed as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm under the impression that the Genesis mini was rushed to market and SEGA and the Allwinner hardware tied their hands. Then again, SNES mini fared better on the same hardware and the emulator is based on the one used for the wii vc, ps3, and xbox 360. M2 was also involved with the Mega Man X Legacy Collection, which has especially terrible input lag in Mega Man X 1 on all platforms.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Konsolkongen wrote:I have never owned a PC Engine, but I do find it's library interesting, especially the CD stuff. Unfortunately it's my impression that there is so much piracy out there that I don't even want to try and start a collection if I end up with any of that crap by accident.

The PC Engine Mini seems to have a really good library of games, so this mini console, more than any of the others is really interesting to me :)

Unfortunately I'm super sceptical of M2 being able to make the games look alright. Most if not all PC Engine games are 256 pixels wide (non square), and all Mega Drive games running at this resolution on the Mega Drive Mini look like garbage because of the resulting shimmering. I really hope that they take horisontal interpolation into consideration (like SNES Mini), or just keep the aspect too narrow, which isn't ideal either :/

Not to mention that they completely butchered the scanlines on the MD Mini. I've seen some terrible fake scanlines in many bad recent retro re-releases, but the ones on MD Mini probably takes the price as the worst ones.

I have no idea what M2 are doing. They do such a fine job with most of their releases, and completely butchers the rest. There was a time when you could buy just about anything by M2 and be pretty sure that it would look awesome, but at least they haven't started ruining their Shmup-releases yet.
Do you have any kind of source for this? I'd like to read more about this. Apart from scanlines, the games are fine, right?
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
GSK

Post by GSK »

MD Mini's scanlines are merely as bad as M2's scanlines always are--scanlines and CRT filters have never been their strength, and outside of the recent Digital Eclipse stuff I don't think any commercially emulated game has done those things well.

The lack of horizontal interpolation is very obvious on the 256-wide games, not that there are a ton of those. If you've played the NES Classic then you'll recognise the shimmering immediately, and like dude said, it's annoying because Nintendo wisened up and fixed this for the SNES Classic so you have to wonder why M2 didn't do the same. (I haven't seen the final buil but the PCE Mini also had this issue several months ago.)

The other big issue, which seems to vary wildly per unit, is audio lag--in short, the CPU they used ended up being clocked significantly slower than intended due to production concerns and one of the techniques they used to mitigate that slowed CPU speed was audio delay, and that delay also seems to be affected by power draw on some units so the amount of lag can be as high as 7 frames (iirc) if you're unlucky (Mine's closer to 4, which is around where the input lag is in general). I've also heard issues with those Retro-bit pads here and there--they're not strictly Mini-related but they are the official 6-button option outside of Japan.

Reading between the lines on a lot of things, M2 was brought on to salvage that product on an extremely strict schedule and it would've literally been a crappy AtGames product if not for the entire internet yelling at Sega to not fuck this up, so I can cut them some slack. My hope for the MD Mini was mostly that it'd push all the awful MD Minis off shelves and provide something casual fans could buy without being burned, and I think it meets that mark... theoretically, anyway, Sega didn't really do enough to differentiate the Mini from older products and they didn't even stop selling the licensed junk on their own stores, so I don't think it had the impact they thought it would. (It's selling very well in Japan, incidentally.)

On the PCE Mini, the big pre-release concern has been arguments about the d-pad: is it authentic, is it inauthentic, is it too authentic to a d-pad that had issues that should be addressed, etc. Every public showing has had a slightly different d-pad and I'm not sure what they settled on. (Hori's behind all the hardware.)
BrianC wrote:M2 was also involved with the Mega Man X Legacy Collection, which has especially terrible input lag in Mega Man X 1 on all platforms.
M2 specifically handled the X Challenge mode or whatever it's called, the boss rush that pulls bosses from across games, but the core emulation had nothing to do with them.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Slightly different D-pad in what respect?
GSK

Post by GSK »

Resistance, thickness of the plastic, that sort of thing. I've only tried it once so I can't describe the tweaks first-hand, or what they eventually settled on.

One of the big complaints was diagonal inputs--the PCE pad never had great diagonal inputs and the Mini pad was faithful in that respect, so there was some back-and-forth about whether or not to deviate from the original spec in order to improve the design.