UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Windfish

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by Windfish »

I think I am bit out of the loop on this, haha. Some orders have been placed but not all? What was the reason for that, again? And is there any way of knowing which orders have been placed? Thanks for the info.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Windfish wrote:I think I am bit out of the loop on this, haha. Some orders have been placed but not all? What was the reason for that, again? And is there any way of knowing which orders have been placed? Thanks for the info.
Production for round 7 has not started. The next production batch will fill the order for all round 7 participants, including those that are joining right now.

Marshall's card payment processor (Stripe?) did something to break his ordering page, so I sent an initial payment by bank transfer and paid a fee. He still needs to make a minor tweak to start accepting card payments again. Marshall is currently working on a tiny test batch of final HW2 units and still hasn't fixed his page. He had these boards manufactured back in September, but now he's getting updated DAC modules made before he sends me a few test units.

Marshall said the picture is from the fab, "confirming assembly before proceeding with the rest" - so only one of the DAC modules is populated. Marshall has shared HW2 details with me for a couple years now. Since round 7 participants will receive HW2, I suppose now it's OK to share these. More: https://imgur.com/a/zPwxUH4

In this round I will also order a bunch of kits by card. Marshall should update his order page soon and I will submit the rest of the order. Immediately after the card payment, I'll do one more bank transfer (for all the people who are still joining). I'll do that last so there's only one more transfer fee.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Quick update: I chatted with Marshall a couple nights ago. The DAC boards for the HW2 test kits are finally on the way to him from the factory.
Marshall (RetroActive) wrote:- dac boards are stuck in customs, but i think they'll make it
- had to pay a 20% tariff
These DAC add-on modules should reach him very soon and he will send me the HW2 test kits + DACs. As soon as I receive them, I will do test installs (NTSC + PAL) and give him my feedback. Then he should be able to start a full production batch. Until then, round 7 is still open.

I've been away from my email and Reddit messages for a while (as I worked on things I need to finish before an upcoming business trip). It's 0300 here now, so I will catch up on messages tomorrow!
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:Quick update: I chatted with Marshall a couple nights ago. The DAC boards for the HW2 test kits are finally on the way to him from the factory.

These DAC add-on modules should reach him very soon and he will send me the HW2 test kits + DACs. As soon as I receive them, I will do test installs (NTSC + PAL) and give him my feedback. Then he should be able to start a full production batch. Until then, round 7 is still open.

I've been away from my email and Reddit messages for a while (as I worked on things I need to finish before an upcoming business trip). It's 0300 here now, so I will catch up on messages tomorrow!
Thanks so, so much for keeping us all updated in such a busy time of the year, Ichinisan. Very much appreciated. Very much love seeing things progressing, too!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Looks like we can look forward to UltraHDMI making a comeback in 2020 :)
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
antalus

Post by antalus »

Hello! I’ve sent an email but haven’t heard back. Do you guys know if I can still buy some?
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan, as well as everyone waiting for their kits, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas/holiday period and New Year's! May our 2020 be filled with UltraHDMI kits! :D
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Dax wrote:Ichinisan, as well as everyone waiting for their kits, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas/holiday period and New Year's! May our 2020 be filled with UltraHDMI kits! :D
Thanks! I was on a plane to Thailand with my boss when the year switched over. One guy on the plane said "happy new year!" The exact moment wasn't very clear since we were over the middle of the Atlantic, but I think that guy was still on Atlanta time.

I actually have an update too! Marshall contacted me at 1:30 AM on December 31. I still haven't received the test units, but he allowed me to do another large cash transfer for 150 HW2 kits. I reminded him that I'm ready to max a bunch of cards when he's ready to do a full production run and accept card payments again. He's taking it slow with HW2 production in case there are any surprises.

He contacted me *just* in time! I will be in Thailand + Malaysia for the entire month of January while my brother runs the show at home. I stopped by the bank Tuesday morning and wired the money for 150 kits before I went to the airport.

Lots more people have tried to join the group-buy over the last week, but I've been busy preparing for the trip. I'll respond to those emails and Reddit messages/chats when I get some down time here.

[edit]

Checked my convo with Marshall. He's working on a possible enhancement to the de-blur feature for some specific games that do a different kind of blur, but "this is very early" - so still there might be some reason the feature doesn't work out. The way he described it, I think HW1 would also get the enhanced de-blur with a firmware update.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Enhanced de-blur for HW1 has my attention.

Does anyone happen to know why we can’t get a 240p signal over HDMI for use with a HDMI to Component adapter?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:Enhanced de-blur for HW1 has my attention.

Does anyone happen to know why we can’t get a 240p signal over HDMI for use with a HDMI to Component adapter?
I replied in the questions that don't deserve a thread thread, but it looks like the UltraHDMI just does not output anything below 480p. I had understood Direct Mode as turning all processing off, including the scaler, but my own testing (HW1 on firmware 1.08) shows that it instead leaves the scaler on, which has a minimum selectable resolution of 480p, and there does not appear to be any further option to disable the scaler. If I had an installer for 1.07 (the firmware my board originally came with), I would've tried that, but I don't.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I was hoping someone knew why though. 480p is the minimum setting using 1.07 as well.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:I was hoping someone knew why though. 480p is the minimum setting using 1.07 as well.
I imagine Ichinisan or someone else who's actually in contact with Marshall either know or can probably find out the precise reason for it, but I would expect it's for compatibility. There are a number of TVs that, strangely, don't accept 480i over HDMI, and one that accepts 240p (which was never a formal video mode) over HDMI would be a unicorn. 480p would be the lowest-resolution video mode that would be compatible with the most displays.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I don't know how to feel about it. On the one hand, the RGB addon for v2 is a very neat addition. Let's see how long the connector lasts. My experience with those connectors are rather bad. :| On the other hand v2 refuses to take the chance to increase compatibility to other CPLD/FPGA based RGB mods by a better electrical connection design. I could guess why, but I don't want to.
strayan

Post by strayan »

nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:I was hoping someone knew why though. 480p is the minimum setting using 1.07 as well.
I imagine Ichinisan or someone else who's actually in contact with Marshall either know or can probably find out the precise reason for it, but I would expect it's for compatibility. There are a number of TVs that, strangely, don't accept 480i over HDMI, and one that accepts 240p (which was never a formal video mode) over HDMI would be a unicorn. 480p would be the lowest-resolution video mode that would be compatible with the most displays.
There’s a reason the super nt outputs 240p via HDMI. Digital to analog conversion.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
There’s a reason the super nt outputs 240p via HDMI. Digital to analog conversion.
I wouldn't argue that, but I'm not sure that's all that relevant. It makes sense that the SuperNt allows 240p over HDMI, because it doesn't have any native analogue output.

Where the UltraHDMI is concerned, I think it's possible that Marshall thought support for 15kHz modes over HDMI wasn't necessary, because 15kHz analogue output is already possible using the stock encoder and/or an RGB mod.

I'm no Marshall, but I imagine it wouldn't be technically difficult to extend Direct Mode to disable the scaler and output native resolutions over HDMI for the purpose of analogue decoding. Yes, HW2 is going to add selectable analogue RGB/YPbPr output, but I haven't seen anything indicating whether that would be native modes or just analogue encoding of the scaled output, nor if we'd be able to select one or the other.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

antalus wrote:Hello! I’ve sent an email but haven’t heard back. Do you guys know if I can still buy some?
Shmups forum still doesn't display the first post of a new user for several days. You're on the list. I received your payment for two kits.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Any update from Marshall as to how this batch is going? Super curious!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

I asked Marshall:

Ichinisan
- I've heard a few people ask me if UltraHDMI can support non-standard modes like 240p over HDMI. They said the Super Nt can do it.
- Supposedly useful for analog converters, but an external analog converter would be unneeded with HW2+DAC.

Marshall
- not easilyt
- unlike later consoles that use DTV-based pixel clocks like the gamecube, ps2, wii, xbox etc (usually 27mhz) the n64 doesn't care about that
- so, i would need to create a clock to match the frame rate but meeting CEA861 requirements so tvs will accept it
- the problem is there are about 6 possible slihgtly different clocks to generate in this case (3 console regions, progressve/interlaced)
- and i don't have a fractional PLL to generate a precise enough clock that won't eventually drift out of alignment with the n64
- the supernt also doesn't generate 240p, though it might not be impossible ont hat platform

The external DAC for Super Nt would be detected by the Super Nt system, so the system would output raw digital RGB signals through the HDMI port instead of producing an encoded HDMI signal. Only the external DAC from Analogue would have any idea what to do with those signals since it's non-standard.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Dax wrote:Any update from Marshall as to how this batch is going? Super curious!
I haven't received a tracking number yet from RetroActive. I'm still in Thailand. My twin brother is home to receive packages and such.

Even though it's past 4AM back home, I asked Marshall a moment ago and he replied right away.

Ichinisan
- Thought I should check with you anyway, just in case you have an update.

Marshall
- the fab stopped taking orders in early january before i contacted them. so production resumes feb 2

Ichinisan
- Thanks
- New year thing?

Marshall
- not much to report on that. we are having challenges at work related to the new year as wel
- every company tells you their holiday dates but they're usually lyign
- the holiday is usually about a month, regardless of what they say

Ichinisan
- Did the DACs ever get through customs?

Marshall
- yup
- i tested one with manual wiring, works fine

Ichinisan
- Ah that's right. You mentioned there were no flex PCBs for the DACs.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:Marshall
- the fab stopped taking orders in early january before i contacted them. so production resumes feb 2
Sweet! Thank you for checking in with him even though you're still abroad, Ichinisan.

So manufacturing of the boards goes back into production on February 2nd? That's great to hear. We're getting closer!
Max_P0

Post by Max_P0 »

Good Evening, Hello from Toronto, ON

Just signed up. I have been in the process of hunting a UltraHDMI.

Is there any room left in this round ?

Thank you :)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Max_P0 wrote:Good Evening, Hello from Toronto, ON

Just signed up. I have been in the process of hunting a UltraHDMI.

Is there any room left in this round ?

Thank you :)
This forum doesn't show your first post for a few days, so maybe you've already found another way to reach me.

Yes. There's still time to join this round since RetroActive isn't quite ready to start a full production batch. Send me an email with the answers to the questions in the first post of this thread. I will add you to the public list of participants.

To participate:
  • Email
    Image.
  • Tell me which name / alias you prefer to use
    It will be visible to other participants on the public list.
  • Tell me if you are interested in kit+install or just the kit
    (and how many)
  • Tell me if you want a mini HDMI cable.
    Most people need one. It's $5.
  • Tell me your name, return address, and preferred email address.
  • If you are getting installation, tell me which color you prefer for the power LED
    White, green, blue, yellow, or keep it red.
  • Tell me how you heard about the group-buy.
    Thanks!

I will provide my mobile phone number, street address, email, and payment info.
Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Think there will be a way of using that board on HW1?
Max_P0

Post by Max_P0 »

Icelvlan wrote:Think there will be a way of using that board on HW1?
noob question, By HW1 do you mean swap UltraHDMI board from previous install?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Max_P0 wrote:
noob question, By HW1 do you mean swap UltraHDMI board from previous install?
The flat cable is revised and includes the connection for in-game reset. I believe you cannot simply swap an UltraHDMI HW1 for a newer HW2 without soldering a new flat cable.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Ichinisan wrote:

I asked Marshall:

Ichinisan
- I've heard a few people ask me if UltraHDMI can support non-standard modes like 240p over HDMI. They said the Super Nt can do it.
- Supposedly useful for analog converters, but an external analog converter would be unneeded with HW2+DAC.

Marshall
- not easilyt
- unlike later consoles that use DTV-based pixel clocks like the gamecube, ps2, wii, xbox etc (usually 27mhz) the n64 doesn't care about that
- so, i would need to create a clock to match the frame rate but meeting CEA861 requirements so tvs will accept it
- the problem is there are about 6 possible slihgtly different clocks to generate in this case (3 console regions, progressve/interlaced)
- and i don't have a fractional PLL to generate a precise enough clock that won't eventually drift out of alignment with the n64
- the supernt also doesn't generate 240p, though it might not be impossible ont hat platform

The external DAC for Super Nt would be detected by the Super Nt system, so the system would output raw digital RGB signals through the HDMI port instead of producing an encoded HDMI signal. Only the external DAC from Analogue would have any idea what to do with those signals since it's non-standard.
Thanks for following this up btw. Interesting to note the analogue devices don’t output 240p afterall.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

I'm coming in late to this thread so forgive me if this has been addressed already. Is there any reason to get HW2 if you already have an original UltraHDMI?
Edit: Never mind. Got my answer. I'll stick with my original ;)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mario64 wrote:I'm coming in late to this thread so forgive me if this has been addressed already. Is there any reason to get HW2 if you already have an original UltraHDMI?
The only reason I can see is if you want RGB or YPbPr output. If you only use the HDMI output, there's no reason to upgrade.

Even then, I don't think it's yet been clarified whether the analogue output from the addon board will be the original output (switching between various 15kHz modes), post-processed (framerate-converted and scaled 480p~1080p), or selectable between the two.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

I will be in Thailand a couple weeks longer. Hopefully this coronavirus outbreak will decline in the meantime. My twin brother is still home, watching for the HW2 test units to arrive. Nothing new from Marshall / RetroActive but I'll post when I hear anything.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:I will be in Thailand a couple weeks longer. Hopefully this coronavirus outbreak will decline in the meantime. My twin brother is still home, watching for the HS2 test units to arrive. Nothing new from Marshall / RetroActive but I'll post when I hear anything.
Please stay safe, dude! That's most important.

Hoping the HS2 test units aren't far away. If the production resumed on February 2nd then I imagine they're close!