The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lags

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by Lags »

Yo, I'm new to the genre. Got into it 6 months ago.
I 1cced Sengoku Ace. Mushi Futari Original. Steel Empire. Batsugun.
Shmups are fun.
I think I'll practice some scoring in original Batsugun. I like it a lot.

Cheers. :D
SG6K

Post by SG6K »

I've loved shoot 'em ups, arcade and action games all my life and thought it's high time I at least set myself up for contributing to this community.
Catroid_Prime

Post by Catroid_Prime »

I've lurked for forever so I figured it was time to make an account.

PCE and Saturn are my go to systems.
Currently playing metal slug and trying to get that 2-all in Gunbird.

Maybe one day I'll finally get good.
Mackie

Post by Mackie »

Hi,

I have been playing shmups as far as I remember. My first one was Fantasy Zone released on the sega master system, and since then I always had an interest in this game genre.
My favorite console hardware are the pc engine and the xbox360. Both gave me lots of hours of fun playing the games I like.

Now I own an arcade cabinet and can finally come back to play the shmup games I like the way they were meant to be played.

Looking forward to have a good time here.
OSUANDY

Post by OSUANDY »

Hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker on here, but haven't posted anything before. Been playing shmups pretty seriously for about a year now. Not too good yet, but I'm getting better. I upload my 1CC's to YouTube every once and a while, and have been trying to take scoring more seriously. I look forward to being more active here, and getting to know everyone.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always good to see more community Youtube channels! Fine choice of channel avatar btw. Also Heidern is cool. :cool: Image
OSUANDY

Post by OSUANDY »

Thanks! Yeah I love me some Guwange, but I am trash at it.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

Greetings! I am A Skeleton. I have a show on Youtube called The Bone Zone where I review hidden gems on Steam.
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
Hokkai

Post by Hokkai »

Last edited by Hokkai on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

hello! i'm charlene and i'm an old SHMUP fan who just recently re-discovered her love for them and has started playing them again thanks to the magic of MAME. i'm currently playing a lot of DoDonPachi, Dai-Ou-Jou & Ketsui. i figured i've been browsing this forum a lot the last few weeks (i started practicing DDP six months ago) and i may as well register and get in on the discussion (and ask questions and such).

plus it's been about eight years since the last time i was on a forum and phpBB gives me tons of nostalgia, lol. <3
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Hi everyone,
I found this place due to my interest in moving to playing old console games on crts. Since i picked up an aperture grille set i haven't looked back and have since got a few more. I'm interested in video input modding and am currently trying to revive an old 1992 trinitron. I am just waiting to get my first post approved where i go into it. If your a crt guru i might see you there! Cheers :D
c0op3r

Wanted to do the Say Hello Thing

Post by c0op3r »

I just signed up - I have known about the board for a little while, but was trying to avoid picking up a new forum to have to follow, but it seems that this is the one for the things that interest me.

Those things are mostly retro console gaming - my current systems are:

NES / Famicom
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Neo Geo Cbox
PCEngine

and now a Nintendo Wii

I am running all of them out via RGB to a Hydra SCART switcher to a OSSC and then to a Asus Monitor

I look forward to reading and learning here.

Cooper
MAZ

Post by MAZ »

Hi! I love shmups since my childhood, when i first played Aero Blaster on the MD. Since then, I played them occasionally during my teen and twenties until lately, when I bought a NSW: Striker 1945 and Ikaruga revamped the holy fire, hotter than ever! :D
In particular I like Treasure, Raizing, Cave and the 16-bit era STGs
"The stronger the will you have, the more you will face various trials"
NikuKun

Post by NikuKun »

Hi all. I've been interested on and off with shmups for quite a few years now and have just started to get back in to it. I used to be quite into the doujin games and played a fair bit of Crimzon Clover when it first came out. I also enjoy the typical Cave games but have also be starting to try older games like Darius. I'm really no good at any of the games, old or new, but I do enjoy playing them a lot. I would like to one day start collecting for older consoles or even arcade, if I can ever afford to do so haha.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

*waves to all

As long as I’ve played video games, I’ve been a stg fan. It’s difficult to remember exactly, but I believe the first game I ever played was a cocktail Galaga in a Pizza Hut over 30 years ago. That game remains a favorite to this day. Destination Earthstar for NES and Steel Empire for Genesis were the first ones I really sunk time into at home.

My favorite game of all time and my bread and butter is Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar. I have beaten it a few times and would say it is the game and stg I am best at. With how much I love playing them a lot, I’m past my friends skill wise but still feel I need lots of practice to get to a better level of play. Have not 1cc’d anything yet, as far as I know.

Current favorites include all of the region free Cave titles on 360, PS3/4 and Steam, Gigawing 2 and Mars Matrix for DC, Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga and whatever i can get my hands on to plug into my Mega SG. Loving my Switch Flipgrip combo. So many good ones that have been put out on there.

Have Esprade PSI and Radirgy Swag preordered, waiting on the Cotton rerelease, Aleste Branch and anything good that is new to me :)
Sanxion

Post by Sanxion »

Alright, long term lurker here that finally decided to register. Been playing SHMUPS for a while, first one I remember was Phobia on my trusty C64. Also loved Sanxion, hence the username.

Mainly play on PS4 these days, feel free to add me on PSN, username is kickwhamstunner

Cheers.
PSN - kickwhamstunner
Blacksheep
Banned User

Post by Blacksheep »

Hi all,

been lurking for a long time as well and finally decided to join. Looking forward to contribute and chat.
Have recently discovered my interest for Cave shmups.
MAZ wrote:Hi! I love shmups since my childhood, when i first played Aero Blaster on the MD.
Interesting introduction to shmups!
Old_Bailey

Post by Old_Bailey »

Hi all,

Another long time lurker, figured it was time I joined in on the discussion. I've been playing shmups for 30 odd years and nobody can stop me now!
Looking forward to chatting with you all.
gamefreak054

Post by gamefreak054 »

Also a long time lurker here (strangely with an account haha since 2013). Favorite shmups are probably Battle Garegga, Ketsui, Futari, and probably Souky. Souky for the saturn was one of the original shmups I owned, not sure how much I love it now because I haven't played it for a while.

Picked up some aero city cabinets, and am super excited to put some shmup PCBs in them. For now Im doing most of my gameplay on the Switch. I kinda miss my PS4 for its shmup library though.
ArnoldKMB

Re:

Post by ArnoldKMB »

Bloodreign wrote:Hello I'm new myself, although I've lurked at this place unregistered for a long time.

One familiar face to me here is PFG 9000, welcome to the definitive shmup site on the net man.

Favorite shooters, Gradius (all of them, except Solar Assault due to never ever seeing it in arcades), R-Type, DoDonPachi (no I can't 1CC it), Xevious, Salamander, Parodius, and Twinbee.

Didn't join here for this long because the guys here are pretty hardcore and can walk circles around me in any shooter.

I fully support your words :D :D :D
SH_19

Post by SH_19 »

Hello everyone. I ventured into the retro gaming scene a few years ago and I've been well and truly bitten. I've just bought a Triniton CRT and I'm looking to jump further down the rabbit hole! :lol:
Blizzard_Blaster

Post by Blizzard_Blaster »

Hello fellow shmups lovers! I'm still trying to get better with the genre but the first game to pull me this direction was Gradius 3! Fell in love so that and Crimzon Clover get most of my attention. Recently got into Dangun Feveron because of a tourny. Interested in learning some more to play and I stream almost daily so check me out if you wanna see what I'm up to. 8)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blizzard_Blaster wrote:Hello fellow shmups lovers! I'm still trying to get better with the genre but the first game to pull me this direction was Gradius 3! Fell in love so that and Crimzon Clover get most of my attention. Recently got into Dangun Feveron because of a tourny. Interested in learning some more to play and I stream almost daily so check me out if you wanna see what I'm up to. 8)
Welcome my dude nice to see ya.
gordonfish

Post by gordonfish »

Hi, my name is Gordon. I'm an avid technologist, I do IT and programming and systems administration and have also delt with general A/V set ups over the years since around the 1980s, so I'm quite familiar with most technologies since that time, albeit I'm only familiar with HDMI enough for general set up and not all that keen on all the sub specs within and haven't dealt very much with splitters and switches.

I also enjoy retro gaming a lot; I grew up with Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, NES, Genesis, PS2, and PC (DOS & Windows gaming since the late 80s to about the mid 2000s mainly), and recently was talked into getting a PS4.
kloow

Post by kloow »

Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. I just registered, hoping to get approved soon so I can access the Trading Station. :lol:
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

kloow: at least honest :D

Welcome (also to the others)! Can I say that already? Anyway... :p
Anomalocaris

Post by Anomalocaris »

I've been lurking this forum for a while, mostly the strategy threads and to find recommendations for shmups.
For Arcade clears all I have right now are Batsugun Special 1-ALL, Mushihimesama Original 1CC, and DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu 1-ALL. Working on a 1-ALL of the original DDP right now.
I'm a huge Touhou fan (as well as doujin shmups in general). I've cleared all the Windows games on Normal, several on Hard, and four on Lunatic.
I mostly focus on survival, scoring still feels like too much for me.
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Discover this forum for a very long time, but I figured it's finally time to introduce myself.
I am a CAVE fan, and I have been playing shumps for 3 years at the time when I write this.
My first shump is Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu.
I am currently playing Dodonpachi Daioujou and hope to clear the game with Shot type (Shotia).
hkisting

Post by hkisting »

I'm new to this board and yeah- I'm a total n00b when it comes to shmups. A 43-year old virgin... :mrgreen:
I've known about this board for years, but never fiund a reason to join it until now.

Been gaming since around 86/87 when I discovered Wonder Boy and Rygar (personal favorite game of all time- just a little bit ahead of STALKER :) ) in the arcades. I have to say though- I've never liked shmups before. They were always sort of "boring" for me so I couldn't understand the fuss.

That was until recently with a little game I remember everyone of note playing in the arcades back then- Raiden!
Although I didn't like shmups back then, I was a little bit envious whenever I saw someone with skill finish it and doing it well. I was quite skilled with Rygar- the best in my arcade, but all the "cool guys" were playing that game.

Back to 2019- I was searching for new challenges recently and for some reason I felt compelled to try Raiden. Been playing MAME games for almost 2 decades, but I never really tried it- or any shmup for that matter. I fired it up and at first, I thought- "This feels okay"; so I continued playing... Pretty soon it was the wee hours of the morning and I had played, died and restarted for 3/4 hours in-between lots of coffee! :mrgreen:

I WAS HOOKED!
Pretty soon I wanted to check out what other shmups were out there. I "discovered" Cho Ren Sha while compiling a collection of boxart for the x68000 emulator on Retroarch. Same weird thing happened as with Raiden! Time stood still for a few hours!

In any case, I joined up here to check out, and to be a part of this community.
I'm really enjoying this new "direction" sofar! Been having a "blast" playing those 2 games!
accskyman

Post by accskyman »

Hello, my name is RJ.

Grew up in the 80's, my grandfather owned an arcade business. My uncles are still running it to some degree- but mostly transitioned to small games of chance and atm's.

Looking back, it was pretty amazing. Had free tokens when my mom worked at the arcade and the coin doors were always open in the garage. Certainly pilfered quite a few quarters from those cabinets as well, there was always some that didn't quite make it to the tray.

Anyway just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've been lurking a while but recenlty picked up a crt tv-- wanted to rgb mod it but seems it's a newer model with i2c so not sure it'll work.

Just wanted to introduce myself.