The Problem with Perikles

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
DEL

Re: The Problem with Perikles

Post by DEL »

He has always been polite with me, but I have to agree with NTSC-J, it all seems too much. He must meet with other players and show his skills in real life. Ed Gein lampshades not withstanding.
Lags

Post by Lags »

What will be the scoring requirements for next year?
Last edited by Lags on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

wiNteR wrote:I do remember sikrariken posting a video on 1-3/2-3 stage of ddp regarding a safespot trick on the green ships (needles) section. This is a very long time ago (I am pretty certain it is 10 years or more) when videos were very uncommon. Even though I had seen a few superplays of ddp, at least I think I had not seen that trick before.
the safespot works only half the time because the ships are only capable of shooting backwards only half the time, the other half you can sit at the top of the screen (and it works consistently in savestates because the RNG for certain things is fixed way before the stage actually loads so you need multiple savestates for practicing certain situations to cover all possibilities)
you wouldn't see it in a superplay anyways since the big cancels are worth too much score
wiNteR wrote:Just describing things as they are, I think around 2003-2004 he seems to have gotten 500M+ score on ddp in a period of about one year (which, as far as I remember, according to him was nmnb till the last few boss battles ..... meaning maximum bomb bonus). This is according to him.
500M in a year really isn't that unbelievable, people here got more in way less time (he was ahead of everyone else back then though), the only weird thing about sikraiken was refusing to show proof
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Bananamatic wrote:the safespot works only half the time because the ships are only capable of shooting backwards only half the time, the other half you can sit at the top of the screen (and it works consistently in savestates because the RNG for certain things is fixed way before the stage actually loads so you need multiple savestates for practicing certain situations to cover all possibilities)
you wouldn't see it in a superplay anyways since the big cancels are worth too much score
Yeah that was my guess that cancellation would be worth enough points that superplays won't be doing that.

In any case, the other thing is there are quite a lot of harder achievements that have been posted than 500M+ (in my opinion) even on these forums. This is given the (i) slowdown+exploits (1-5,1-6,2-4,2-6 boss etc.) in second loop and (ii) the fact that bombs on harder parts (2-6 boss and later) don't seem to cost too much in terms of score. My guess is that one doesn't need to chain that much (for 500M+) if one is already going for a NB run till 2-6 boss.

But yeah, unless he has gone completely inactive from STGs (which is plausible), it would be good seeing a (recorded or otherwise) live run (that would be ideal since he already has a channel) or a video of any difficult enough bullet-hell game from him. Much of his videos seem to be of non-bullethell games. There were number of videos on his livestream/twitch channel too last time I checked (which was few years ago) but they no longer seem to be there (they were also of non-bullethell games).

It would be good for genre in general that people are willing to provide at least a bit of verification when asked (if not a full-run, just a video/streams/inps etc. of hardest parts or something like that). This wasn't a big problem many years ago, but now it seems to be the better way to move forward. What I am just saying is that too much doubt on very old achievements is generally not healthy, because number of verifications like videos were simply quite unusual (understandably so) ..... let aside livestreams. For example, if someone is not familiar with tviks, it is not too unreasonable to have some doubt about his scores, yet I would be very surprised if all of his scores weren't valid ..... and not just the console ones.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

EmperorIng wrote:If someone gets emotionally upset, it doesn't surprise that they may do something drastic or cataclysmic (ie, ask for full-scale removal), even if I almost always think that is a bad idea. I mean, just think of suddenly being forced to defend yourself, with the added hurdle that none of your explanations are believed. Whether the suspicions justified or not, this quickly can make a person say "Whatever. I'm done."
Perikles wrote: The 10m+ run on PCE Gradius II was furthermore done on a real PC Engine, a console which doesn't even have any Gameshark/cheat engine equivalent as far as I'm aware (I might be horribly wrong on that, though) - on account of the nasty flicker on higher loops, this is about as difficult as getting 10m+ scores in the arcade version, which is not exactly trivial, either.
I wanted to chime in and add to this thought. Being a little more intimately familiar with the console in recent times (getting a large number of pce clears over the last few years), I hope I have a little to contribute.

Perikles uses everdrives for all his console runs last I recall (and I'll say half-jokingly that he has far bigger problems in his life if he willingly bought copies of Rock On, Barunba, and Toilet Kids to competitively score in). If you look through Perikles' score topics for these console games, an accompanying picture is almost always provided - given that the hosting site hasn't shat itself, which has happened several times. Example 1. Example 2 that is taken from a tv and I presume real hardware. As an aside I wish the image he had posted of his large mosaic of all his pictures of console clears from tv pics didn't die with the hosting site. Not only was it a cool collage, it also showed how he really took pride in clearing all of those games.

At least as recently as 2 or so years back, krikkz wasn't able to find a way to enable save-states onto the everdrive hardware, due to problems with the interface between the micro-SD, the everdrive, and the console. Magic Engine apparently has some cheat-patched roms, to be fair, that works on their proprietary emulator. The everdrive doesn't have a cheat menu, and you have to patch the hucard roms with home-made (or pre-made) cheats yourself if you want in a hassle of a process (get the rom, ips patch it in, etc.). This process might have been made earlier in more recent versions, but for quite some time the interest in making a cheat engine did not seem to be there.

I don't think until -very- recently were there FPGA emulation devices (like from Terra Onion) that are offering CD-based emulation, and even then I've tried looking for CD Rom and SUPER CD Rom2 cheats to patch to ISOs and I am getting dead ends. On the site gamehacking.org it appears there are a number of really... hacky cheats for use in mednafen which continuously assign certain hex values in-game with the occasionally weird/disconcerting caveat (e.g. "Seirei Senshi Spriggan invincibility - make sure to disable this cheat after every boss"). Getting this to run on real hardware is really dubious in my eyes, given the sheer effort involved for such a low payout (someone with more technical knowledge should chime in though!). Given that things like invincibility/infinite lives would be easily detectable and utterly break some of these CD games, when combined with all the hoops jumped through, ON TOP of taking photos on a large enough CRT monitor to fake being a TV... it's almost certain that instead these were done on real hardware, in real time.

Now that I've wasted time with that explanation, I'll say why: I wanted to establish at least on the PC Engine, and especially the CD, there are few avenues available for cheating if playing on real hardware. Laugh all you want, given how many of these games have questionable or broken-scoring, or are generally easier. Nonetheless, they exist as a metric of skill; in fact, echoing Plasmo, I am positive all his console scores are real accomplishments.

So why bring that up? One of (many) of the issues brought up is a question of verifying skill. Having some knowledge of PC Engine shooters, while many are indeed easy, at least to 1all, some are annoyingly hard.

Take RayXanber II for instance. This is a game I enjoy - that nonetheless has some of the most annoying Irem-wannabe-isms I've encountered on a console. You need to do exactly what it tells you, or you die. There is no improvisation, or almost none, because the game has the route it wants you to follow. Your pea-shooter isn't equipped to kill anything other than small zako. You can't even kill every enemy in stage 1 unless you position yourself strictly (and if you don't? death!).

The game isn't impossible, of course. Just demanding - it is a precise puzzle that wants to be solved. I'd welcome people to give the game a serious try to see how they fare with its 'tricks.' Perikles, on his own arcade/16bit difficulty list, equated it to roughly a RayForce ALL or a Raiden 1ALL among others (speaking subjectively as someone who has, lol, -almost- cleared all three, this isn't terribly off the mark imo).

The score he posted for Gradius II also deserves some mention, as it involved looping Gradius II's pc engine port 16 times. The above Gradius score was done, by his account, over three days (with pauses/breaks, of course). I remember him telling me in pm how he was getting nervous about having the console overheating all that time due to using voltage converters and the like. I think it's worth pointing out that several times he's admitted here to almost unthinkable (to me) marathon sessions with multi-loop games. Part of me wonders if you sit down and try something for 4-7 hours at a time will you just naturally come upon something... miraculous? Let me state that I am not so naive as to think that this is exculpatory, nor do I even think friendly requests for INPs or streaming are far-fetched (though you ultimately can't force anyone to do something - but there are logical consequences for washing one's hands).

I also feel like it's worth bringing up the exchanges in the Parodius score thread. After posting another console 2ALL photo (up to 3-6), it has a rare instance of Perikles plotting out/discussing strategies to a game he ultimately wasn't able to beat.

So why do I bring up all of this? Why muddy the waters? On one hand, some explanations into PC Engine ports is not going to convince people concerned about the 'bigger' prizes - like Same! Same! Same! and Tatsujin Ou. The difficulty does not compare, I agree. I think a lot of minds were made up long before the OP was posted, and no amount of hand-cams or whatnot would really change anyone's views. Do I even think it's unreasonable to ask for further proof if possible if you are posting community records? Not necessarily! There are some seriously lucky dodges that happen and sometimes people want to know how you could possibly pull something off. However, the conversation about verification seems to have quickly congealed around a narrative regarding a lack of knowledge and/or skill that can only be explained with hax and elaborate play-acting (post-confirmation bias if you will), which I think needs a little bit of pushback and wider perspective.

I don't have the answers for all of perikles' arcade runs. I can't pretend to know his decisions on 'routing' - even for games we've both played where his videos differ from my own experience (e.g. Skull Fang, where I improbably took 'the community record' from Perikles - with him more than likely notifying NTSC-J for that because I certainly didn't). I also don't begrudge folks like chum, or Mark, or even Plasmo or pegboy for finding those moments suspicious, or wishing to see replay files. However I also think that the clears I've mentioned above show someone who can and has displayed some real skill and methodical approach when it comes to certain games within the genre - coupled with the stamina to clear them. It'd be a disservice to the years I've talked with him if I didn't say as much.

This is why I hope there is some type of ultimately satisfactory conclusion, even though it is starting to feel dangerously as if too many feelings have been hurt and bridges burnt. I like to think, like BIL, that we're all "shmup bros" - whether playing seriously for score, going for survival clears, or somewhere in-between, and that trying to hold ourselves to appropriate standards doesn't have to involve futile acts of self-cannibalization and balkanization.
What kind of everdrive PCE has though? I didn't know that PCE has one! Does it also run CD games by ISO files?
Gus

Post by Gus »

Some videos breaking down suspicious looking play in Yace's videos, not made by me.

Truxton II
Sengoku Aces
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Just wanted to let people know that the channel in question has been deleted.

I won't say anything more here, but I'm a bit disappointed with how things turned out. Hopefully, we'll get to see that Sengoku Blade 2-ALL vid in the future.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Go ahead, pat yourselves on the back, MURDERERS. Good job helping haters kill the genre, one player at a time.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I guess shmupg got what they wanted. OK, who's the next target?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

/shmupgestapo/ will cleanse the shmup community
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Bloody

Post by Bloody »

sorry, but for me is this the sign , he has cheated....A clean gamer has not one reason to do this.i said what was the problem to meet me or plasmo and play with us.nursery.
blossom

Post by blossom »

While deleting his channel is indeed suspicious, let me ask - would YOU agree to meet up with some obsessed stranger on the internet who wanted to see you play video games? There have been multiple arguments in this thread for and against Perikles, and on both sides, there was nonsense that didn't matter to the alleged cheating. "He won't meet me in person" So what? "He's a good person" His ability to be polite to you doesn't mean he couldn't have cheated.
Bloody

Post by Bloody »

Ves he is a good person amen :roll: im not only a stranger.He is from germany im living in Germany and i had no problem to meet plasmo or shootergott in reallife in the past.but he is a little bit shy ;-) whatever.
now everything is too late anyway.i do not give a shit!!!!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Totally legit player guys. We've all deleted hundreds of YouTube videos at the slightest suspicion, even after getting asked by several to leave them up. Could have happened to anyone. Nothing strange at all about this behavior.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Yes yes, you don't have to demonstrate your awesome kindergarten-level deductive skills again, mister armchair psychologist.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks, mister murder detective.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

CyberAngel wrote:Go ahead, pat yourselves on the back, MURDERERS. Good job helping haters kill the genre, one player at a time.
Nominating this for Farm Post of the Decade
chum

Post by chum »

Perikles has committed honorable seppuku. Everyone in the thread demanded he delete his content, and he did so. Honor has been restored to the Shmups clan.
Such is the way of Samurai. When he has dishonored us, he must leave us.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

chum wrote:Perikles has committed honorable seppuku. Everyone in the thread demanded he delete his content, and he did so. Honor has been restored to the Shmups clan.
Such is the way of Samurai. When he has dishonored us, he must leave us.
I'm pretty sure Perikles himself was literally the only one that even talked about deleting the videos... I take this as an admission of guilt and now we can just move on from this.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

CyberAngel wrote:Go ahead, pat yourselves on the back, MURDERERS. Good job helping haters kill the genre, one player at a time.
man what

he had opportunities to smash all those suspicions in everyone's faces. like, hell, dude made excuses about like, not streaming on twitch 'n stuff, which, instead of saying "i don't want to ever stream" or w/e, would've most likely made a one time exception for that if he was legit.

if someone deletes their account like that, what bigger sign do you need that they were caught red handed?
this was something that clearly needed to be addressed, and perikles' actions have all been classic signs of a guilty person.
i'm disappointed about this 'cause he was an influence for me to start clearing stuff, and I certainly don't want him to be a cheater, but...well...that seems to be the case.

i don't pass any negative judgment on the guy, but what he did was a dumb waste of time. hopefully he'll come back one day and become an authentic player.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Austin

Post by Austin »

This is highly disappointing. Some shady videos or not, there was a lot of great content on his channel with lots of great tips and strategies shared with anyone who asked. This is a significant loss to shmups on YouTube as a whole. Good on BIL for hosting his recent Undeadline playthrough, at least we can still see that.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, I'm pretty sad it happened myself. I went ahead and saved replays for Armed Police Gallop, KiKi KaiKai, Xexex, Salamander 2, and Gun Hohki a few weeks ago... Kind of a random smattering of what I was interested in one day clearing at that moment (except for Salamander 2, which I did clear. Just love that game). Quality probably isn't the best (30fps as I learned later), but I'd be happy to share them at some point.
Ako

Post by Ako »

I don't think the deletion is evidence in either direction. The fact is that the stain left by this situation was never going to go away, and if like perikles you purportedly don't care about shmups anymore, why leave the stain around? It makes some sense to me and I have even done it myself in similar ways such as deleting old videos or literally decades-old accounts from when I was a teenager, or would you all really let that stuff follow you around forever? For instance, I have some pretty old random shmup videos on my twitch account. I would delete these just for amusement if you asked me to and it doesn't signify anything other than that I don't care about them anymore. This channel going down doesn't change my personal opinion at all, and it is unfortunate that it happened because excluding SSS there were a lot of videos with legit good content.
Lags

Post by Lags »

Ako wrote:I don't think the deletion is evidence in either direction. The fact is that the stain left by this situation was never going to go away, and if like perikles you purportedly don't care about shmups anymore, why leave the stain around?
Perikles wrote: I will work on Sengoku Blade at some point in time, and when I'm successful, there will be a 2-ALL video as described in my last post...
:?
We don't know if he actually cares or not. Why would he go for a Sengoku Blade 2-all instead of 1-loop Tatsujin Ou or Same!, the main games in question and games he had experience with? His handling of the situation is really bizarre.
If this happens to someone in the future I recommend NOT running away, deleting all your videos and immediately requesting all your records destroyed. Seriously, just suck up the pride and be reasonable, [unless you really are guilty, then pack your bags and scram].
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Lags wrote:We don't know if he actually cares or not. Why would he go for a Sengoku Blade 2-all instead of 1-loop Tatsujin Ou or Same!, the main games in question and games he had experience with? His handling of the situation is really bizarre.
Gee, I dunno, maybe because he lost interest in those games? And most games he played and posted videos and scores for?

Frankly, he does strike me as someone who just goes through lots of games and loses interest in them once he has a milestone achievement. That's a widespread gamer type, and knowing how they think actually explains his behavior. Why would he come back to a game he hasn't played for over a year and already has a result he's satisfied with in? His questionable runs WERE proven to be plausible so he could've gotten them legitimately by sheer luck, and that would be good enough for him. Why would he spend just as much if not even more time to relearn the game just to prove something to internet nobodies? Even if his result is a record then guess what, there are people who aren't strongly attached to external recognition. They will try to get what they can but can drop everything they've done if it's straight up denied to them.

If none of the above even occured to you as a possible explanation of his actions then you've most likely been, consciously or not, working backwards from a "he's a cheater" premise and looking at all evidence from a biased point of view. If that's the case then you're not nearly experienced enough in how the world works to make judgements about why people would act the way they do. Being good at shmups doesn't mean you suddenly know how every other successful player thinks. And acting like you do only makes you reek of arrogance and elitism even more.
Lags

Post by Lags »

CyberAngel wrote:
Lags wrote:We don't know if he actually cares or not. Why would he go for a Sengoku Blade 2-all instead of 1-loop Tatsujin Ou or Same!, the main games in question and games he had experience with? His handling of the situation is really bizarre.
Gee, I dunno, maybe because he lost interest in those games? And most games he played and posted videos and scores for?

Frankly, he does strike me as someone who just goes through lots of games and loses interest in them once he has a milestone achievement. That's a widespread gamer type, and knowing how they think actually explains his behavior. Why would he come back to a game he hasn't played for over a year and already has a result he's satisfied with in? His questionable runs WERE proven to be plausible so he could've gotten them legitimately by sheer luck, and that would be good enough for him. Why would he spend just as much if not even more time to relearn the game just to prove something to internet nobodies? Even if his result is a record then guess what, there are people who aren't strongly attached to external recognition. They will try to get what they can but can drop everything they've done if it's straight up denied to them.

If none of the above even occured to you as a possible explanation of his actions then you've most likely been, consciously or not, working backwards from a "he's a cheater" premise and looking at all evidence from a biased point of view. If that's the case then you're not nearly experienced enough in how the world works to make judgements about why people would act the way they do. Being good at shmups doesn't mean you suddenly know how every other successful player thinks. And acting like you do only makes you reek of arrogance and elitism even more.
Love the condescending tone + accusations of elitism at the end. Mwah, delicious irony.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Says someone who made an eulogy and a tombstone. Whatever, pot.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

CyberAngel wrote:

do you think that you are approaching this without bias? i don't mean to come across strongly, but you seem to be dead set that he didn't cheat and are emotionally driven by it, and being emotionally driven can cause the biggest biases, so it's important to not get as heated as you're getting.

i ended up concluding that perikles has a guilty conscience because of, ultimately, how he's been behaving about it. psychologically speaking, he has been fitting the profile of a person who has been caught cheating. it is very abnormal to be legitimate and behave in a manner that displays guilt and defeat. Even if shmups weren't something that interested him anymore, and he wanted to retire from it, i would think he wouldn't want people to believe that he cheated.
hopefully this doesn't make me seem arrogant or elitist because i'm only looking at what might be the most likely thing here.
I've accused someone of cheating for almost getting a 2-ALL of cho ren sha their first time playing it, but I had to reconsider once i both learned about the plausibility (as some people, I've learned, have been capable of getting blind 2-ALLs of cho ren sha) as well as with them sending me their game over discord so I could watch the replay. The evidence was out of my favor, so I had to admit that I was wrong, and I gained more knowledge about the game in the process.

if you're a skilled player who wants to retire, and are being called out, you should approach something like this as an opportunity to go out on a bang rather than allow for discordance within the community.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Big lol for this whole thead!
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:do you think that you are approaching this without bias? i don't mean to come across strongly, but you seem to be dead set that he didn't cheat and are emotionally driven by it, and being emotionally driven can cause the biggest biases, so it's important to not get as heated as you're getting.
I don't have any strong opinion on whether he cheated or not. There have been convincing technical arguments for both sides. However, the circustantional evidence - i.e. his last post and his channel going down - have been interpreted in a strongly one-sided way. So I just provided an alternate interpretation based on my personal experience. Truth be told, your reasoning is definitely plausible and has precedents, but I've seen enough to know that my alternative is just as plausible.

But the true irony here is that those that call out my responses fail to realize that they've been given some of their own medicine, and by doing that they're calling out themselves.

But none of this matters in the long run. Perikles' channel is deleted, and he said he's okay with his scores removed. I might find that a negative outcome, but I have no issue with you or anyone else who approached the whole thing reasonably. I do, however, have issue with stuff like the post I linked above. Even if you turn out to be right, it still should not be acceptable to forget basic human decency. And while I may not be a saint myself, well, you know what they say - mote in my eye, beam in your own.