Shmup Goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Plasmo

Shmup Goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

Post by Plasmo »

Shmup goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

The dawn of a new decade. Sitting in your lonely, dark apartment - as usual - you suddenly feel strangely attracted to an unknown object in the other room. What will you do? It's safer to just continue playing this video game for score, you think. But that object wouldn't leave...

Here are the links to the previous topics. Have you reached your goals? Failed hard? Tell us!

2013, 2014, 2015,
2016, 2017, 2018 , 2019

You know the drill by now, kid!

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: As the name suggests, post the stuff you're the most proud of here, whether you're an Easy mode survival player or a Lunatic scorerunner. Anything that stands out to you is what you want here, no matter how silly it may be!

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: Did a Power-up carrier pick you off or ram into you and ruin the GOD RUN? Whatever comedies/tragedies pop up most clearly to mind go here! These don't have to be specific occurrences but can be generalities as well in your gaming endeavors.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: Whether it's a long-time goal achieved by a close friend or a new WR set in one of your favourite games (or both at the same time!), you can post whatever stuff you enjoyed seeing other people do this year here!

(4) Goals for 2020: What do you have your eyes set on achieving next year? List all the clears, scores, and crazy challenges you want to achieve next year here. Be ambitious!

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: The fun one. Throw down the gauntlet and challenge someone else to something! This might be to beat one of your scores, or a race to a certain clear, or whatever you like. Remember to keep it a little friendly, but on the other hand, go totally nuts!

Alternatively if you want to be lazy then just post your goals for the year as usual.

Your mission starts now. Are you ready?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Mills

Re: Shmup Goals 2020 - A peculiar appeal

Post by Mills »

2019 Achievement, Truxton F2P, 1CC no miss no bomb on Very Hard difficulty.

2020 Goals, Truxton F2P, 3-4CC no miss no bomb on Very Hard difficulty.

Striker's 1945 classic F2P, 2CC on Hard or Very Hard difficulty, also unlock the 5 secrets within the game. No point bothering about High score run because of the autofire issue.
Last edited by Mills on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lags

Post by Lags »

(1) Achievement: cleared Batsugun with 18.7million points.

(2) Not sure.

(3) XUR's 22million Batsugun run, very impressive and clean. Also Mark's DDP 2-all, Jaimer's 680million C-L...and chum 1CC Same!Same!Same![1P].

(4) Goals for 2020: **21million points Batsugun.**

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: Challenge T4NE, Bananamatic and Prometheus to return to shmups.
Challenge Gus to recite his "go all the way, full shmup" speech at AGDQ.
Last edited by Lags on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
zoydo

Post by zoydo »

Just checked last years list with my goals for 2019 and found out, that i didn't achieve any of them....
Anyway i set some new goals throughout the year and could at least reach some of them.

Biggest achievement for me personally was getting the 1cc in G.Darius (PS), which is one of my favourite STGs and the game that got me hooked on the genre. Another one was clearing Genetos in creator difficulty, had lots of fun with this game.
Furthermore i managed to clear Dariusburst (PSP/Arcademode + Burstmode), Dariusburst SP (original mode/ SP mode), Darius Gaiden (30Hz autofire), Ghost Blade (DC), Gunhed (PCE), Soldier Blade (PCE) and Star Parodier (PCE).

I also had a good time playing the monthly games with the RFG Shmup Club.

No mentionable screw-ups.

For 2020 i have no specific goals at this point. Maybe clearing Ghost Blade HD and Final Soldier because i already came close last year. I also want to clear Darius Gaiden again with 15hz autofire some time. But i guess my main focus will be getting better in Ketsui and DFK.
TOB
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2019

Goals for 2020

Challenge to other players:
Dedicate your life to CAVE
blossom

Post by blossom »

(1) personal favorite achievement of 2019 - broke 200 million in Eden's Aegis original mode

(2) biggest screw-up of 2019 - I don't tend to focus on the negative, also don't tend to play many shmups, so uhhhhm... I died to a supply carrier in Blue Revolver during stage 5 because I misjudged how much damage I was doing to it, was trying to swoop in for all the subweapon ammo. Was kinda fucking hilarious.

(3) favorite achievement by others in 2019 - I don't particularly follow many other players either, so I'd say Prinny breaking the previous known WR of Eden's Aegis original mode by getting a score of 221 million

(4) Goals for 2020 - 1cc for Thunder Force IV hard or mania mode, 1cc for Eschatos original hard mode, find another shmup I'd actually want to play for score

(bonus) challenge to other players - step out of your comfort zone and try games not developed by Cave
InFireX

Post by InFireX »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: This year, I've 1cc'd RefleX, CCWI in Unlimited mode, Alltynex 2nd on Normal and Ikaruga on Normal. Out of all these achievements, I'm especially proud of the CCWI one because it was the hardest shmup goal I've ever done and I've been playing these games actively since 2011, which says a lot. On top of that, I did it with Type-I, which made it even harder, and my replay on YouTube is most likely the only one for this particular ship that's publically available at the moment.
I also did some scoring as well, especially in Ikaruga where I was able to get more than 20 million. I tried to score in RefleX, but didn't like it; Alltynex 2nd had a surprisingly fun scoring system and is also the best game in the trilogy for me. As for CCWI, survival was more than enough because Type-I isn't a popular choice for this game mode, which automatically put me in the top 10.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: I have two screw-ups: 1) having to do a 1cc run twice for RefleX because I screwed up the video source in OBS (fortunately, the 2nd run was better) and 2) finding out too late that my PC can record 4k videos, which means a missed oportunity for the CCWI Unlimited mode replay being in 4k.

Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: Jaimers's 600+ million score in DDP and Moglar's Ura 2-ALL in Ketsui are my favourite.

Goals for 2020: I have many goals that I'd like to accomplish, both 1cc's and scoring. The most important one for me would be to start playing Gundemonium Recollection and finally get to score it seriously. The second most important one would be getting back to CCWI and practice Unlimited mode in case Pasky's 1cc Marathon happens this year, which I'll have to start doing asap because the game mode is very hard and I have never participated in a marathon before.

Challenges to other players: Give the Gundemonium games a try if you can. With the exception of Hitogata Happa, they aren't difficult on Easy and Normal, so anyone can play them and achieve something, even complete beginners. I have one advice for Hitogata Happa: get used to playing every doll in the game because you'll need all of them to achieve things.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

i don't wanna bite off more than I can chew, but I would like to 2-ALL no miss the arcade version of gradius 3 on the hardest dip settings.

i also would like to start giving touhou and toaplan games more of a fair shot after i finish saint dragon (made it to the last boss twice and died because this game is cheap unfair crap, but i still like it regardless), 'cause i didn't initially like toaplan or touhou very much, but I've come around and see the appeal to most of those games.
I can't for the life of me ever seem to figure out the appeal to twin cobra or tiger heli though x~x

..I should clear a cave shmup too since i haven't done that yet. =oc
I'm thinkin' Dangun Feveron no miss.

some non-shmup goals would be to possibly no damage Mega Man X4 (might put off MMX2 for another year because violen is hell for a no damage run) and Klonoa 2
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Ah yes, was always interesting following these back when I was still only spectating in fits and starts :)

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019:
• Unrelated to shmups, but too many books I wanted to read were gathering dust. I intend to change that.

Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019:
I don't think I follow too many other players, at least not to the level of actually watching their runs, but this is what got hold of my attention:

• Mark_MSX' DoDonPachi C-L 2-ALL survival clear
• Jaimers' 638M C-L, also DoDonPachi
• Everybody participating in 1CC Marathon 2019. It was fun being part of the audience. Runs that especially stood out to me were SuperViperT302's Gradius III, Life Force and Parodius Da! runs with excellent live commentary, and - again DDP - Jaimers 2-ALL of said game. That was hugely impressive and humbling to me - it seemed like such a casual thing :shock: . Others were entertaining too, like Vludi's Tatsujin 1-ALL, and I probably forgot many.
Gus' Futari Ultra 1.01 run at Stunfest'19. definitely.
• Had it actually happened last year I would've been able to rightfully list it here. But, not having seen it until last year, when my interest in shmups was fortified, I may just sneak it in: fufufu's DOJ WL saturday performance during Stunfest '18. O-ther-worldly. Can't even find accurate words for it..

Goals for 2020:
• Reaching Omote in Ketsui with a score above 100M. Actually, aiming for an Omote clear this year sounds attractive, but, not really being able to gauge yet what that would entail, I'll put that part into imaginary parenthesis.
• Sinking some effort into the Raiden Fighters trilogy. Not yet sure which of the games I'll like the most, I guess I'll find that out on the way. Also no special goals in regards to it (yet).
• Finally starting some thing I've been brewing for a while now

–––

Edit (changed nothing else):

I didn't reach the shmup goals I set for myself at the outset of last year, mainly because my interests shifted so much, which I didn't foresee to the extent it happened. Not only did I play less shmups than anticipated, I played less video games in general. That doesn't mean that my interest in shmups or video games is irrevocably waning—perish the thought! It's just been on the back burner, at least relative to what I had envisaged. I'm setting myself no new shmup goals for 2021 – also as a matter of prudence.
Last edited by 6t8k on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Achievements :
Darius Gaiden 1CC with rapid fire. My first 1CC in a long time.
DDP DFK 1.5 novice 1CC :oops:

Goals
DDP DFK 1.5 1CC
Raiden III (easy) 1CC, then normal
80K on Asteroids Dx (hard setting).
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Let's see:
(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019:
_Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label Novice Zatsuza ALL 829 Billions
_Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arrange A Ura 2-All 17 Trillions World Record (Steam version)
_Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label 1-All A-S (Just before 2020)
_Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ver 1.5 Omote 2-All A-Shot.
(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: I accidentally deleted a C Strong Zatsuza ALL replay in DFK Black Label Novice. Had to redo that shit all over again.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019:
_Moglar5K managed to get his first Ura 2-All in Ketsui
_Kiwi with his Multra clear
_Jaimers with his 638 million 2-All clear in Dodonpachi
(4) Goals for 2020:
_Get an Ura 2-All clear with C-Shot in Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ver 1.5
_Counterstop Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ver 1.0
_2-All Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label with A-S
More goals should be made when I progress through the year.
5pectre

Post by 5pectre »

Going through the old threads I can see that I haven't done one of these since 2012!? Just goes to show in what decline my interests have been with this genre these pasts years despite me telling myself that I'm a "shmup guy"...

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019:
1 loop clear on Gradius on PlayChoice-10.
I've been playing this game a couple of weekends a year, when going to a friends house for the weekend, with the retro arcade crew. This game has really grown on me. The simplicity and the awesome soundtrack made me keep coming back for more and I was eventually able to clear the first loop.

Looping the score on Galaga (Fast Fire).
I've been playing this game on/off for years and up untill recently my personal best score was 470k but all of a sudden it just clicked and I got a million+ ? Thought it was a fluke so I emidiately started a new game and rolled the score again.

Not playing shooters regularly. By not doing so I have felt a huge decline in my skill. I was by no means great at shooters but I did ok. I could get pretty far in games like ESPGaluda and Dodonpachi but these days it all ends on stage 4.
Also, I signed up for the Chalice Cup tournament and completely phoned it in.... I was swamped for work for the first 3/4 of the tournament and did some single credit performances to bump the team score.

Haven't really kept an eye on everyones performances this year, but I follow aquas and I'm impressed with the stuff he's been doing and it's really inspirational to me.
Also, it seems that "newcomer", Pearl, is making a big splash on Discord and I'm really impressed with his performances. I don't really know if he's a newcomer but I haven't noticed him before.

Goals for 2020:
Get the 1cc on ESPGaluda or Dodonpachi DaiFukkatsu
Last edited by 5pectre on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

2019:

Actually 1CC'd some shmups.

2020:

Work my way up past 15 in the difficulty list, so I can start enjoying the big names instead of despairing.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019
Looking back at my post last year, I had exactly one goal, which was clearing Version 1.00 of Pink Sweets on the 360 port. This game was described as "one of CAVE’s deepest and most eccentric games" and the "last unconquered Cave game among western players" and was pretty much deemed impossible overall. In fact, the lack of most of the slowdown + no infinite lives make this version of the game miles harder than its arcade counterpart. I managed to not only reach my goal and clear this version with a respectable score of 15,364,850 (#1 on the leaderboards by far) but also had the honor to contribute to Icarus' excellent video series Special Demonstrations. The replay is packed with annotations and can be seen as a little video guide for this criminally underplayed game. If you haven't watched it already, please give it a try! This might very well be one of the toughest CAVE games ever created.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019
After I had cleared the game I reworked my route completely, planning to reach max rank during stage 3. This would ultimately give me about 1 million more points. Therefore, the new goal was at least 16 million, perhaps even 17 million if stage 6 medals cooperate. This new route was incredibly challenging and gave me a lot of trouble particularly with stage 4 snakes on max rank. I grinded this route for months and months and did not manage to ever clear the game again. As I have now moved on to the arcade PCB of Pink Sweets, I consider this project a failure. It probably will never happen. It's great to be able to see your own limits and evaluate them.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019
This year has been absolutely astounding! The output of achievements gets more insane with each year so I have to limit myself to just a few. Please forgive me if I have not mentioned your score! Let's first start with achievements from this community:

Dodonpachi - Type C-L - 638,295,200 by Jaimers
Includes an absolutely brilliant commentary! Definitely check this one out! This is without a doubt Jaimers' most important achievement of his whole career. He has truly excelled on this one. The community owes Jaimers a lot. His constant output on Youtube draws significant attention and the shmups scene wouldn't be the same without him. Hats off to a legend.

Ketsui - Type A - Ura 2-All - 441,947,965 by Moglar
Moglar's first Ura 2-All and with such a beast score, too! "Only" took him 850 hours of playtime. This is some insane dedication by a very promising newcomer. It will be a joy to follow his progress in 2020 and the rest of the new decade. Way to go my dude!

Sky Adventure - 11,504 [WORLD RECORD] by Ako
This guy did it again. Another world record in an obscure arcade game. Figuring out these old games in itself is an incredible achievement and takes a double brain. Then actually going for it takes a whole new level of skill. Ako's message here is clear: Don't draw an artificial distinction between Japanese scores and "the West". Drop the flawed concept of "Western WR" and approach the challenge without fear. For me, Ako is the community's player of the decade, now clocking in at three world records, the others being Shippu Mahou Daisakusen (w/ Miyamoto) and Sonic Wings 2 (w/ Mao Mao). He hasn't gotten nearly the attention he deserves so please write him a private message telling him that he's legit amazing NOW.

Mushihimesama Futari Ultra 1.01 - Reco - 1,363,503,377 by Gus
When you think of hardcore, there is one name immediately popping up in your mind: Gus. A player in his own league completely. Hardly anyone can compare but nonetheless he's a huge inspiration to many of us. His progress with Fultra 1.01 over the past years culminated in 2019 with yet another PB. His route is absolutely out of this world. Even attempting such a monstrosity makes me speechless. Besides his scores, he also had a mindblowing performance at Stunfest 2019. The next big thing is just around the corner: He will perform another live demo at AGDQ 2020 (January 8th)! This will most certainly give the community a huge boost again.

Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label - Type B-EX - 3,116,358,520 by iconoclast
Without a doubt one of the most prolific shmup players of recent times. What was thought to be his magnum opus - breaking the 3bil barrier in 2018 - was even topped in 2019! Most of us - if we would ever reach such excellency - would have stopped after breaking the big barrier, but his determination and complete control over the game doesn't take an arbitrary score threshold as the ultimate goal. His post in this very topic shows once again that he's not done yet. I am truly in awe. We will continue to cheer for this remarkable gamer!

Dodonpachi - Type C-L - 2-All by Mark_MSX
Anyone even remotely keeping track of the community has by now stumbled upon Mark and his obsession with Dodonpachi. When Mark, still a relative newcomer to the genre, suddenly decided to go for a 2-All in Dodonpachi, hardly anyone believed in him. I know I didn't. But boy did he prove us all wrong! His constant pursuit to challenge himself and set almost uncomfortably high goals is what a true shmupping mind is all about. This man-machine is on fire! And he's not only a decorated gamer but also the biggest content creator there is! Check out his website, his Twitter, and - most importantly! - his podcast! Thank you for all of your efforts and hard work in 2019 my friend! Let's see what 2020 brings along.

These are my very personal highlights from this community. But what about Japan you might ask? Let's take a look!

Battle Bakraid - 143,976,590 by GFA2-ISO
Only few of us can fathom how amazing this score truly is. Bakraid seems to be the guilty pleasure of this legendary shmup player and 2019 was the year that finally sparked some new interest for this title again. ISO managed to improve his old score of 132,590,070 (from 2013) by over 10 million! Furthermore, he participated at a live event at a-cho arcade in Kyoto showing us his route. This is the first time for many of us to actually witness what max rank in Bakraid looks like. Check it out!

Strikers 1945 II - Mosquito - 3,482,100 by DBS
After a hiatus from shmups, the mysterious DBS is back and wrecks Strikers 1945 II at an incredible pace with ease. The craziest thing is that he uses a rather unpopular ship but then almost smashes the overall record of the game (Pancake - 3,500,700 by Y.Saito). This score is as close to perfection as it could possibly be. I don't expect this to ever get beaten again and having talked to DBS about it, he was surprised himself he ever got that score.

Progear - Bolt/Nail - 294,470,740 by mirumide
This score was a true shock for the community. The replay suddenly showed up in my Twitter feed and it took me a moment to realize that this is not a score with Ring but with Bolt! Progear is not considered an easy game by any means and the suicide bullets during the loop create an insane amount of randomness. Nonetheless, mirumide manages to clear the game not losing a single life! This is the first time I have ever seen a no miss of Progear! Perhaps this is the most optimized Progear score as of now.

Battle Garegga - Gain - 20,959,490 by Kamui
Kamui is a god. This might be the strongest score in any shmup ever. Well over 20 years of constant dedication. This is the peak of our community. Period.
Besides this monumental score, Garegga has experienced a lot of activity in 2019 and so two other world records have been set as well, namely Miyamoto - 18,604,540 by Kaede and Silversword - 16,925,130 by Migu, the former of which was live streamed!

P-47 Aces - Spitfire - 5,249,040 & Blackwidow - 5,216,590 by KDK-Takeyuki
One of the all-time geniuses of the shmups scene who is getting absurd world records on a monthly basis. 2019 has been particularly noteworthy because of his achievements with P-47 Aces. Just how do you find another 250k compared to the recently published replay of 4,963,370 by Jibutan? This is simply incomprehensible to me.

Karous - 9,849,231,760 by GOTYO
In the very beginning of 2019, the player eiden achieved 7,098,316,250 points. What then followed was one of the biggest highscore battles in shmup history with eiden and GOTYO going back and forth, pushing the game to new dimensions. After eiden got 9,784,771,760 - unfortunately game overed at the last boss - GOTYO got his 9,8 billion. Luckily, the run was recorded and has been released with a myriad of comments elucidating for the first time the intricacies of this fascinating scoring system to its full extent. A good candidate for the most important replay release of 2019!

Esprade - Yusuke - 41,898,630 by WSM-MKZ
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the game, Esprade saw a lot of newly emerging activity in 2018. This was continued in anticipation of the upcoming port and WSM-MKZ managed to beat his PB of 41,371,000 all the way back from 2004! Imagine derusting for a game you have last played 15 years ago! This is shooting love! It will be thrilling to follow what the top players can do on the newly released ports. If you want to get an idea of WSM-MKZ's routes, I can wholeheartedly recommend to watch his live play at a-cho arcade with a score of 35,908,230.

Dangun Feveron - Type B - 15,243,426 by PAL
Generally speaking, this game doesn't see a lot of new world records. One reason might be the fact that all of the scores are already very maxed out. So it was surprising to say the least to see PAL push the record from 15,100,971 almost 150k further! Just how was this possible? Perhaps we will never know...

(4) Goals for 2020
After having left the port for now, I want to focus on the arcade version of Pink Sweets once again. At the moment I am building a completely new route, which is presumably going to revolutionize the perception of the game for better or worse. The goal is clear: beat the world record with Lace of 20,614,480 by YOS.K! This is all for the new year! If I find some extra time, I also want to give Hacha Mecha Fighter a closer look.

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS
Drop the concept of "western WR" once and for all and go all out! Have fun with your favourite game! Push yourself to new limits! Be proud of your achievements! Contribute to this amazing community! Produce content!

Happy new year 2020 everyone!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019
not much here..
- Fire Lancer competition at the start of the year. Pretty small scale though.
- Assault android cactus hard mode all S+ rank (full chain no-miss all stages)

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019
- Failed Ketsui score improvement goal

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019
- Ketsui ura 2-all 441mil by Moglar5k
- DDP 638mil by Jaimers
- Garegga WR improvement by Kamui
- Various hellsinker WR improvements by phox & fufufu
- Various community content has been fun to watch this year: 1CC marathon, Calice cup streams, Mark-MSX podcasts, etc.

(4) Goals for 2020
- Hellsinker 100k score
- Improve Ketsui score
- Grind runs in ZeroRanger hard mode and Blue Revolver Double Action if I enjoy them enough (most likely)
- Play more Rival Megagun and get better at it
- 25mil+ in ESP Ra.De. arcade+
- Kamui hard mode 1CC
- Look for some good recent STG releases that have been off my radar
- Attend a shmupmeet or similar event this year

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS
- Beat Erppo's score in ZeroRanger. I think this is much harder than most might imagine.. up there with top scores in various other games. The system is pretty forgiving and easy to see score differences (not exponential)
- Dedicate your life to kusoge
Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moglar5k

Post by Moglar5k »

(1)
-Ketsui 441m Ura 2-ALL.
-429m Omote 2-ALL 3 Miss.
-212m IKD 2007 Special (WR by 110k I guess...).
getting 30 Omote 2-ALL's and 80 300m's is also pretty neet.

I also got a Rolling gunner original mode ALL (no tlb) and Esprade ALL, both with somewhat ok scores, nothing compared to my ketsui achievements though.

(2)-ALL the 2-1/2-2 deaths I got when going for the ura 2-ALL, also the time I died twice on 2-3 midboss lol.

(3)This is one that most people won't know about, because the dude's twitter is private unfortunately, but RS' 300m NMNB Ketsui loop 1 is EASILY my favorite, nothing else comes close for me.
If you would like a little comparison to get a better understanding of how completely absurd this score is, SPS's best loop 1 nmnb is 291.9m, this beats that by over 8M.

Now while that takes the cake for me, there are still tons of other awesome achievements that id like to mention.

-PKE's 502m Ketsui, and his progress towards 290m loop 1.

-x91 coming back after 6 years to beat his ketsui ura score by 1M, and also finally getting 400m omote.

-HMO's 388m Ketsui ura, and probably getting more clears through ura than I did through omote.

-Kamui improving her Garegga gain WR for the first time in 5 years.

-mirumide getting the Progear no arashi Bolt WR.

-GejiGeji (possibly clover-TAC in disguise) getting 15.655t in Crimzon clover unlimited with type Z, pushing the WR up by 1.5t for just this year alone.

-Seldia for improving his own Unlimited score up to 14.7t

-Schmitt beating his CCWI original type 1 record with a score of 9.755t, Pushing closer to the big 10t!

-GUS improving his INSANE Futari Ultra 1.01 record to 1.363b, and getting the game into AGDQ.

-SMC getting the Fultra 1.5 Reco counterstop and Clear, the same! same! same! 1-ALL was also great.

-Chum breaking the 100M overall score barrier in double spoiler with Aya, becoming the first player to ever achieve this. and again, great job with the same! 1-ALL!

-Iconoclast's amazing 3.1B DOJ BL type B score, his ketsui destiny score/Esprade 32m are also very noteworthy.

-Jaimers' pushing past his massive amount of strong, but not completely absurd achievements, and getting a truly mind blowing score in his 638m DDP with C-L.

-Mark MSX's DDP 2-ALL, and doing a bunch of much appreciated work on http://electricunderground.io/

-VioletHatPurple getting a 1.2b DOJ-WL clear, and a 1.3B non-clear.

-Juju Kenobi's progress in Dodonpachi daioujou BL(1.97b game over, + a lower scoring ALL clear) and Ketsui (277m game over to omote 2-5 boss)

-LYX achieving an unreal score of 3.45b in daioujou BL.

-Plasmo getting the first ever pink sweets clear on xbox360, and an amazing score to go along with it.

-Kiwi's Blue revolver and mushi arrange scores.

-Kana and Everlasting getting 666m/668m in EOSD lunatic

-Satis getting 3.2b ReimuB in PCB (t-that was this year right?) And also pushing his CCWI UL scores slightly farther

-Mokobama breaking 6B in IN with scarlet team

And any other player who is striving for improvement, no matter what your current skill level is. If you keep pushing yourself, you can become better than you could have ever imagined.

(4)2020 (heh) id like to improve my ketsui score up to at least 500m, beating pazzy would also be nice but ill probably save that for 2021.

Might also work on EOSD survival, and improving my Rolling gunner/Esprade scores a bit, probably won't put much time into that though.

(5) Decade goal: Since this is the most sensible time to make a "decade goal" i'm just gonna go ahead and say it: 600m Ketsui

(BONUS) STG related or not, push yourself in something you truly love and care about, become something you can look back on and be extremely proud of.
To me, that is the most beautiful thing in the world.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: The DDP 2-All, what an insane grind that was. There were days where I felt like it was literally impossible, but I kept at it ha. I popped off so hard after the clear that I dropped my arcade stick on the ground ha. Another score that I'm proud of is my Danmaku Un. 3 True spirit highscore. I was close to beating Pazzy's X-D.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: I had one DDP 2-All run where I had the clear in the bag (most likely) but then got rammed by Hibachi during the point blank before the final attack. I was sooooooo mad.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: Same as Plasmo's list, except I will definitely include Moglar's Ura Clear, VioletHatPurple's DOJ White Label 2-All, and KZ's continual grind in Ketsui. KZ is going for a fat score in Ket and has been working toward it like I did with the DDP 2-All.

(4) Goals for 2020:
Garegga Gain 1cc
Beat Erppo DDP C-S score
Beat Pazzy's Dan 3 True Spirit Score
Play more Touhou and become more familiar with Touhou games.

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
BLACKISTO!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE BEAT Prom's A-L score and get the 600 Million before December 2020, you are the chosen one :-D If you don't, Prom's A-L score will have stood for 10 years!

Juju seems to be destroying Ket right now, so I want to see him make some magic with Ket in 2020.

Kiwi, get that Mushi Arrange WR!

Gus, show the speedrunners at AGDQ why shmups are way better than the games that they play.

X-D
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Comparatively, 2019 has been one of the best years I've had in shmups in quite a while. I was worried that my 'glory years' were in the past (given that I achieved the most 1ccs by number in 2016), but hard work and dedication revealed some truly great milestones I am pretty proud of. Speaking of which, 2019 was one of my better years of life in general... Achieving a far greater work-life balance, committing to diet/exercise and losing nearly 40lbs, improving my long distance running times by over 6 minutes, branching out and achieving some truly excellent things in my own social life and community. It's important to keep that in perspective since self-betterment and self-improvement should be goals at the forefront of everyone's lives. :mrgreen:

2019 saw me break past 50 shmup 1ccs. Now granted, some of those games weren't exactly taxing in difficulty, but nonetheless, it stands as a nice barometer for where I've come from over the years. As well, many of my clears have been from arcade games versus more toned-down console 16bit games.

• ESPGaluda 1CC with 33 Million
  • Mushi Original 1CC
  • Irem 1ALL: Image Fight
  • Psikyo 1ALL: Sengoku Blade
  • Raizing 1ALL: Mahou Daisakusen, Armed Police Batrider (Normal mode tho)
  • Dariusburst CS Mode Completion
There are several that stand out.

A holdover from my 2018 goals was my clear of ESPGaluda. I had been working on this for the last part of 2018, and couldn't quite manage. However, persistence paid off and I managed to get myself a clear of the game. However, the more I played the more I discovered the depth of its scoring system, so I went ahead and continued to push for improvements, culminating in a pretty respectable 33+ million score, which I even recorded and used for Mark_MSX's shmup slam.

This year I am proud that I not only achieved my first Irem 1cc (a 1ALL of Image Fight), but my first Psikyo 1ALL (Sengoku Blade) as well. Adding to this, I managed to 1CC the very demanding Mahou Daisakusen. In fact, three of these games -Image Fight, Mahou, and Sengoku Blade- were done as part of Dent's Calice Cup tournament. For a long time now I wanted to 'up' my credibility and my shmup palette by getting more clears from the 'big' names. Now, it remains to be seen whether or not I am any more credible than before, but I'm glad to get a taste of clearing several different kinds of shmup as I work on overall improvement, from golden oldies to more modern games (if we're calling Mushi modern, ha).

One of the big accomplishments I am quite proud of is finally defeating the final boss and campaign of Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours. This was a fight years in the making, given my slow slog through the many campaign fights in CS Mode. Despite the length, the final battle is definitely worth it, and a worthy send-off to the Dariusburst series. I even managed to record numerous runs of the final zone, and get a decent score while I'm at it. You can read about my struggle here. You can watch my titanic fight to the death here.

Furthermore I am really starting to grasp and understand its scoring system, and am starting to piece together better and better runs. I hope to start giving the leaderboards a more aggressive push going into this year. My average clear score is 100 million; I think a good first step is to push that to 110-120 million (most WRs are 200m). This game is probably the most score-centric Darius title yet. And while Dariusburst isn't without its problems, its short length and multiple ship scoring and playing styles make it easy to jump in and either mess around casually, or go for more hardcore clears. I might even pick up the DLC modes to try the insanity that is playing Dariusburst with Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone, or the Black Fly from Metal Black!

I note on my goals list from last year, I had listed a Cave clear (specifically mentioning Mushihimesama) and a Psikyo 1ALL (mentioning Blade). Man, am I good or what?

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019:
  • Spending money on Star Force for Calice Cup
  • Failing to get a Dangun Feveron 1cc for Calice Cup, as I claimed I would
  • Choking non-stop to junk wizard and ninja at Mahou Daisakusen
  • Getting to Gigantic Bite in DBCS with 28ish shields and blowing the whole fight by missing just about every burst counter timing
I was away from my computer at Thanksgiving weekend, so I went and bought the ACA port of Star Force during the final weekend of Calice Cup. Was the couple extra 100,000s of points I gained worth the $8 I spent? I am not so sure. I discovered that I really didn't get the game at all, and quickly moved on to more fun things like Image Fight. 8)

In retrospect it was foolish of my to say that I would clear Dangun Feveron, especially since I was trying to score and keep discomen as opposed to scrub clear things. I was pretty headdy saying my goals would be to clear Sengoku, Mahou, and Dangun for the month. I was thinking that Dangun would be one of the easier Cave games since it didn't loop... how wrong I was. I couldn't even survive stage 3 in my best attempts. Mahou was actually an obsession leading up to the tournament. So many runs lost, so many fists smashed into my desk as some cheap-shot ended my run and chances for recovery. Several times I no-missed up to the boss rush in stage 6 only to lose it all due to shitty RNG with the bosses. I eventually pulled through...

• All the members of my Calice Cup team, Galactic Dancers, crushing games left and right. AKO, prales, OmKol, Lyv. Just check out the leaderboards.
  • In that vein, Dent organizing the Calice Cup tourney in general
  • Mark's DDP 2-ALL
  • chum's 1ALL of Same! Same! Same!
  • MauCast's 2ALLs and other high-score achievements in Game Tengoku / Cruis'n Mix
  • ZPS getting past the 40mill barrier in ESPGaluda
  • Ythundyth's vids of no-miss boss attacks in Cave TLBs (except the aspect ratio it's getting worse my dudes)
One of the greatest pleasures in shmupdom I had in 2019 was being a captain in Dent's Calice Cup tournament. An 'eclectic' game selection meant my skills were drawn all over the place, but the single best motivating factor was that the teammates I had chosen consistently proved themselves, again and again, to be players of incredible caliber, tenacity, and skill. This tournament saw two world records (Sky Adventure and Armed F) happen! Insane!

Even though we took 2nd place overall, the motivation of Ako, prales, OmKol, Tejate, mycophobia, DocHauser, and all of our other members encouraged me and pushed me more to achieve victories than I could have ever done by myself. It made me realize that there is really no substitute for competitive scoreplay, especially with a large group of people involved. I can and still will grind for 1CCs, but pushing certain games for higher scores is extremely gratifying - even if it's weird games like Sky Adventure. I hope there's nothing keeping me from participating in the next tournament.

A huuuuge shoutout to Dent for organizing the Calice Cup; this might have been the most fun I've had in a tournament during my time playing these games. Between the sometimes bizarre game choices and the month-long struggle, I had a blast. You did great!

It was fun to see ZPS catch the ESPgaluda bug that I caught last winter. I had hoped to strive for 40m but I got pulled towards different games. I was glad to see he pushed his own scores higher. Will he get 50 million?

Seeing Mark's long journey towards the 2ALL was cathartic to say the least. Between that and all the fun stuff he gives to the shmup community, I want to congratulate and encourage him.

(4) Goals for 2020:
  • RAY series. It's time for these games to fall - Force and Crisis, particularly. Crisis is a game I actually like playing for score; I just never posted any and I didn't want to start until I cleared it.
  • 150 million in DariusBurst EX, plus more route clears. Where will I find the extra 50 million points?
  • scrub clears (my hope): Metal Black, ESPRaDe, Cotton 2, any R-Type game
  • dip my toes into streaming/recording runs. I've already started, a little

Prales! Get the 1ALL of Tatsujin Ou! You are so close; you've made it to stage 6. Do it and show the world that you are not only an expert, but a king as well!

Everyone on the farm! Sign up for a shmup tournament and commit yourselves to excellence! You won't regret joining a team and working towards the top score!
prales wrote: Play 達人王. The game is so incredibly good.
Will you accept Truxton II as a substitute? If so, challenge accepted! I will make it back to stage 1-3, like I did so long ago.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019: Beated Garra.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019: I did what my conditions allowed me to do, no sorrow.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019: Blackisto.

(4) Goals for 2020: Play.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

-Finally putting a nail in the coffin to the F-117A clear in F/A. Last year, I initially started on a clear w/ this plane ( hardest clear out of all planes in the game) & actually had a streamed run where I made it to the final boss, but miscalculated and took a fat missile to the face as he started to flash red.

I didn't get back to that point till earlier this month, where I played stages 1-7 extremely safe, & despite a bad stage 8, I finally got the clear which I was extremely happy with.
- F/A clears with every main/secondary shot type & updating my ST to reflect that.

(2)Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2019 :
Not playing much in the early-mid half of 2019 due to personal issues & falling into the issue of "what do I really want to work on next" that didn't finally reignite till Calice Cup started in November.

(3)Favourite Achievements by Others of 2019:
- VioletHatPurple's 1.2bil DOJ-WL clear - crazy to see him put so much time into the game & clutch the clear right before the end of the year
-Moglar5ks Ura 2-ALL (441 mil) - dude just destroys ketsui, man
- Ako's scores in Macross II & his WR in Sky Adventure- I know the former is still a work in progress
-chum's 1-ALL of Same3! 1p
-Mark MSX DDP C-L 2ALL - Absolutely crazy run to see live, & when he straight up dodged for 10 sec at the end; can't wait to see where he goes from here in the game

4)Goals for 2020:
- Toaplan PB updates & clearing the rest of their catalog ( already working on this w/ my hishou 2all)
- 2 million with the JA-37 plane in F/A?
- Getting into More indie/doujin stuff ( stuff on my list includes Cho Ren Sha/ grazing games, Psyvariar Delta). There was another indie tank game for Genesis I wanted to play too, but I can't find it anywhere on twitter now ;-;
- Trying to knock out another namco clear ( Dragon Spirit/Saber, or even Blazer) & other tank games such as Granada

(5)Favorite stg meme of the year:
https://twitter.com/ZPS_2hu/status/1187930177990361088

Bonus ( to other players)
- I've memed about this to Aquas before, but I want to see if he can get a Dragon Saber clear
- More toaplan clears ( even moreso in less notable titles like Dogyuun/Daisenpu)
- You guys should check out Raystorm & see if you can push your chaining skills to the limit!
-If Kino is still alive out there, I want to see him get a new beatemup WR or score in the new Cotton ports coming out
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

At the end of 2018 I started scoring UFO (Touhou 12). My PB at the end of 2018 was 1.150b: now it's 2.110b.

I also got my first CAVE 2-ALL, just a simple DFK Omote 2-ALL with B-S, but that's still a CAVE 2-ALL.

About that UFO 2.110b... it game overs to Byakuren on a really easy Superhuman wave. It would have gotten scorebug if it cleared.

There's a lot to mention here. chum's Sam3 1p 1-ALL, VioletHatPurple's DOJWL 2-ALL, Jaimers's DDP 638m, Ako's Sky Adventure WR, Moglar's Ketsui Ura 2-ALL, Mark's DDP 2-ALL

UFO also got a new overall WR just over a week ago, with KG improving his score to 3.407b. This will get even better in 2020 though - he's going for 3.5b!

Edit: There's a lot I forgot about so here's some more:
Juju's DOJBL 2-ALL, smc's Reco Fultra counterstop, Ramtoi getting all main series Windows era Touhou LNBs, ior beating Gobou's SA WR that stood for 4 years, Kamui's Garegga 20.95m, Flora's rapid improvement in TD to becoming one of the best active players

(4) Goals for 2020:

For UFO I want to get LNBNV (a Lunatic 1cc that doesn't use any bombs or summon any UFOs, you only get 5 lives) and improve my score to at least 2.5b.

For arcade shmups, I've decided I want to go for a clear much harder than anything else I've gotten in an arcade shmup, something more to my Touhou skill level. I've decided on Futari BL God Mode.

lnb ufo
maximo310 wrote:(5)Favorite stg meme of the year:
I did get the 1-ALL btw
Last edited by ZPScissors on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

ZPScissors wrote:(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2019:
maximo310 wrote:(5)Favorite stg meme of the year:
I did get the 1-ALL btw
Saw that; good stuff man. I think you could get a 2-ALL at least w/ your skillz
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

maximo310 wrote: Bonus ( to other players)
- You guys should check out Raystorm & see if you can push your chaining skills to the limit!
You know, I left out Storm from my RAY series goals because it is so much more brutal than RayForce or RayCrisis... Even though RayCrisis lacks extends, like Storm, it is so short that it doesn't matter. Well, I won't promise a RayStorm clear but I'll put some progress on the currently barren scoreboard topic, especially now that I have the JPN PS1 copy and can play a not-fucked difficulty of the game.
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

-I'm definitely proud of organizing two very successful shmup tournaments. By far my biggest gaming achievement of 2019.
-Got my first Psikyo 1-ALL with Gunbird.
-Happy with my first DDP sloppy clear.
-Quite satisfied with my PB in Espgaluda. 33mil clear, featuring a 5-2 no-miss.

Too many to list.. none that stand out.

There are many and I hate knowing that I'm gonna be lazy and forget to list several runs that stood out for me this year. But here goes some of them:
-chum's Same! Same! Same! (1P) 1-ALL. Was extremely entertaining to watch him grind this beast of a game on stream for a week or two..
-smc's 1-All of Same! Same! Same! 1P.
-Jaimers 638mil in DDP. Insane achievement..
-moglar's Ketsui URA 2-ALL. Madness.
-Mark_MSX DDP 2-ALL. Big props.
-Gus at Stunfest.. I mean, holy shit \o/
-BrainTemple ChoRen Sha 68K 2-ALL No Miss. There's a game I need to play myself at some point. I'll be happy with a 1-ALL though... deaths included. A 2-ALL No miss is ridiculous.
-Ako's WR on Sky Adventure. What a joy to watch him play shmups. This game was particularly interesting because there were a bunch of key strats that hadn't been discovered yet..
-Prales WR on Armed F. This was a very questionable game to be in the Mystery Wheel of La Calice Cup.. definitely not the greatest game to play in a tournament setting. But a WR is a WR and Prales nearly got every possible point in the game.
-ZPS 46mil on Espgaluda. ZPS started playing the game not long before La Calice and to get 46mil so rapidly is quite impressive.
-trap's Mahou Daisakusen 1-ALL. Free at last!
-Ing's Mahou Daisakusen and Image Fight 1-ALL. I have a soft spot for anyone who's genuinely excited after clearing some of their favorite games.
-Omkol's 10 clears out of 12 games in La Calice Cup. Many of these were completely new to him.. easily among the fastest learner I know.
-Neo_Antwon's clear of Darius Gaiden and Darius 2.. he got both of them for the first time back to back on stream. Badass.

... yeah, I'm proud of many players. I'm forgetting MANY.. if you played shmups in 2019 and we know each other, you're my favorite :mrgreen:

Goals for 2020:

-Host two more shmup tournaments, I can't dream of making them bigger and more successful than it was last time.. but I'm hoping most players will return if time allows it and newer ones will want to join the fun.

-Keep playing shmups, keep improving little by little as I have no healthy training behavior. I like juggling games. But I do have a relatively long list of games I'd like to clear someday, so my goal for 2020 will be to scratch off as many of them as possible from that list.. so long as I'm having fun. In 2021, I'd like to be able to say that I have cleared at least 5 shmups that are satisfying to me.

-Play Gun.smoke
-This April, join the next La Calice Cup (DM me if you'd like a Discord invite, no commitment in joining the server right now)
-Follow people who stream shmups regularly on Twitch
-Form a band and do a cover of MetaFox boss BGM
Last edited by DenT4F on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MauCast

Post by MauCast »

Last edited by MauCast on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

for me, 2019 was basically my start into actually getting super into STGs as a genre; i had always been an appreciator for many years, but 2019 was what turned me into a developing maniac. :P learning DDP, Ketsui and DOJ (haven't got those 1CCs yet) made me pick up Garegga and DFK, and DFK really jumpstarted my brain into starting to play the genre "seriously". to that end, i would say my 2019 goals were to start learning how to play STGs for score and learning the fundamentals, to which i feel like i can say i succeeded. i did manage to get a 1CC 1-ALL on DFK 1.5 Novice twice, and almost completed the second loop in Novice Mode on that same credit, and now i can almost comfortably 2-chain stage 1 in DDP! i feel like i can comfortably jump into and start learning all kinds of games now. :D

for 2020... i want to get at least one 2-ALL in DFK 1.5 Normal or Black Label, 1-ALL Ketsui (maybe go for the 2 if i can get that good haha), 2-ALL DDP, and 1CC Batsugun/Special, Giga Wing, Crimzon Clover, and Raiden IV. but who knows, i've been playing so many STGs lately that i might end up finding one that i can really push towards getting a really high score for :mrgreen:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

-Well, in the end I did get the 8 billion in Illvelo

-It's not supposed to be a hard feat, but I appreciated getting the Mushihimesama Original 1CC in ~5 runs. Just getting myself to play the game with the clear in mind was pretty pleasant but managing to clear it fast is very nice to have.

Hehehe, let's just take a look at all the objectives for last year I didn't end up achieving : no ZeroRanger 2-All, no R-Type Leo 1CC, no Shiki 3 1CC recording, and no S&P Hard Mode recording.

I also want to add to this that I didn't manage to clear Armed Formation F. I was able to accidentally double KO once against the last boss, but just once so it's not even as if it helps with scoring more than a 1CC.

- Eiden and GOTYO's crazy ever-increasing Karous scores. It's rather insane to think that not too long ago, the WR for the game was around only half of what it is now.

GOTYO's latest 9.8 bil replay is also a great opportunity for everyone to check out what the game looks like when abusing the hell out of bullet converter tricks to make the score skyrocket. Let's hope the 10 billion barrier gets broken down soon, since it looks very doable!

-Kiwi, GUS and Maribel Hearn's performances at Stunfest. Crazy runs all around, and great examples of how you don't need to be Japanese to be super good at shmups. Also the guys who organized the shmup stand and superplays for said Stunfest. This couldn't have been possible without them!

-DenT4F for organizing the Calice Cup Tournament. It was great fun, and we had the opportunity to discover a bunch of interesting shmups, and I could chat with some players I haven't met before. I'll definitely show up for the future Calice tourneys!

-The Fire Lancer tourney was cool! Pretty cool event by trap15. I forgot it was this year so thanks for the reminder zaarock, haha. The game itself is super fun and the competition on a new game was interesting since we had to discover the new strats on our own.

-The Shmup'em All guys organizing a fun V-V tourney in early December, as well as Lyv 1-ALLing it a breakneck speed.

(4) Goals for 2020:

-Illvelo 9 bil but damn if it doesn't sound like heavy work. More accessible targets should be 10 bil for both Illvelo Still and Illvelo Easy mode. Let's throw in a TLB clear for Hard Mode too while we're at it, as I don't think I managed to do that yet.

-Play more of the shmups I have bought instead of enjoying them an hour or two before dropping them for no actual reason, only to repeat the cycle when a new release comes around.

-Go to more shmup events such as Fightcade Offline/Mikado Europe Opening in Spain.

-Dangun 1CC...who knows?

-If it comes out this year, play WestGunne

-Beat my Illvelo score?

-...No wait, just play Milestone games in general. That's already more than enough effort lmao.

-Post you're scores [sic]
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Oh yeah, I forgot Fire Lancer tourney was in 2019. Feels like it was so long ago... That was awesome!
Leander

Post by Leander »

Released a public demo for the game I'm working on. I just pushed an update and I'm still looking for feedback!
Play-wise I cleared Devil Engine Very-Easy mode and decided that Very-Hard is out of my league.

Goals for 2020:
Finish my game... I don't actually expect this to happen until next year but we're supposed to be ambitious right?
Less ambitious: 1-all DFK 1.5, Mushihimesama Original and Danmaku Unlimited 3 (Normal) since I'm pretty close on all three but don't practice enough to actually get there.