Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

For me the bells are more annoying. Either would be obnoxious all day though.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Keep their heads ringin'!
Ring ding dong
Ring-a-ding ding ding dong
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What are those bells you are talking about?
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:What are those bells you are talking about?
Steamflogger Boss

Children.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Children.
Savage but accurate
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Right? they're like some alien species. You don't know whether they're cute or if they want to kill you, and nothing they utter makes sense.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
St4rwalker

Post by St4rwalker »

Ordered 2 pvms .. transport company said 1-2 working days will be pick up from seller. Ordered online friday, so mo or tuesday should be picking up. Not the case on 24th nobodys working, but its a fucking normal working day as per legal law here in germany... wtf?
"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
Steamflogger Boss

In this case I was at a social gathering pre-Christmas and several boys had these annoying plastic whistles. The lesson here is to be a hermit.

Edit: they were almost like a recorder but not quite as big. Definitely bigger than a regular whistle.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Not logging in for a few days and seeing a Goo Goo Dolls thread.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

drauch wrote:Not logging in for a few days and seeing a Goo Goo Dolls thread.
:lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Racing games where the camera loves to rubberband back and forth according to your speed. Or where the camera wobbles left and right as you're steering to look dynamic and exciting. It annoys the heck out of me. I want racing games to be like proper arcade racing game perspectives where the camera is locked into place at a fixed distance and angle Outrun 2006/Wangan Midnight style and doesn't feel the need to zip back and forth.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Racing games where the camera loves to rubberband back and forth according to your speed. Or where the camera wobbles left and right as you're steering to look dynamic and exciting. It annoys the heck out of me. I want racing games to be like proper arcade racing game perspectives where the camera is locked into place at a fixed distance and angle Outrun 2006/Wangan Midnight style and doesn't feel the need to zip back and forth.
This immediately brings NFS Carbon to mind, with its dramatic camera panning during canyon races. It can really mess up your turn timing if you're not used to it.
To be fair, I think it does look cool, though I wish the camera didn't take so long to return to its original position after the panning kicks in.

On a similar note, I dislike NFS games's jump camera even more. I get that they were going for a cool, cinematic shot with the slowdown and all, but it gets annoying really fast. One of the first things I do, when I play these games, is disable it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

If it were a toggle option like Dynamic Camera Panning On/Off I'd be less annoyed about it I think, but I've never seen a game with it where that option exists.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:If it were a toggle option like Dynamic Camera Panning On/Off I'd be less annoyed about it I think, but I've never seen a game with it where that option exists.
Fully agree. :)
kitten

Post by kitten »

a friend of mine quote tweeted this, so it showed up on my timeline (i despise hearing about mike matei and really try to avoid him because every time he comes up i do a dig since he's a weird focal point in retro enthusiasm) -

https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei/status/1 ... 3733530625
Mike Matei wrote:Retweet if you agree: If you use the “rewind feature” that’s now standard on many NES and SNES games available on Switch, you DID NOT by any stretch of the imagination beat the god damn game.
1. this is irritating because mike matei has cheated at quite a few games and spliced his recordings. he does a facecam recording while "playing," pauses to talk about the game and switches the facecam to the prominent viewscreen space, and then switches the positions back to hide the splice. there's obvious behind-the-scenes savestating going on at many, many points and the videos in which he does this he's never done live recordings for.

for a big, obvious example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHr_oCdasM0

the performance he gives is the thing that i think most infuriates me. there's such an obvious self-importance going on despite his scumfuckery. he reiterates numerous times that he's "practiced" different parts and pretends to be doing a casual, advice-filled run of the game. his bizarre obsession with a cool demeanor is amazing because the guy is quite consistently a fucking nervous wreck on livestream even on substantially, substantially easier game clears than this.

going to pick apart one section and link a few timestamps

- 30:08 - the spiel, this is where he transitions to facecam to set-up pulling the rug

- 30:22 - play extremely close attention and frame advance (period and comma on the keyboard) if you have to. when the camera transitions back to the game and the facecam moves, you'll notice he's in a different posture and expression ( https://i.imgur.com/o8mXLsG.png ). he does this at least a dozen times in the run and you can skip anywhere and watch it happen and i encourage you to follow me up on this. this happens with his hard corps run and other runs he's done, too.

- 30:22 - yep, same timestamp! this time just play the video at normal speed, though, and listen closely, it's my favorite part - watch his mouth. oops!!!!! dipshit spliced audio from a totally different attempt for this entire segment. watch as his mouth opens and words don't come out, then watch with equal wonderment as his mouth stays closed and sounds *do* come out. please notice that every time he does this splices, the audio never matches up perfectly, but this blunder is particularly hilarious.

it's worth noting that he's recently started doing a couple of actually difficult clears on livestream. while there's a margin here for him cheating by just playing back footage and playing along with button mashes, it at least appears genuine. guess he's slowly transitioning out of some pathological lying habits, but would be nice if he'd own up to what he did and how brazenly pathetic it is.

- - - - - - - - -

2. this is maybe more important. the replies. oh my god, the replies. well over a thousand of them and climbing and the absolute vast majority are just "ok boomer" (he is not a boomer and i'm getting tired of this phrase - kids even direct it at millenials) or talking about how he's gatekeeping, how he's telling people how to play, how he's "entitled" (???????) for thinking you need to beat a game to say you beat a game (what). just drives me fucking bonkers.

people argue that rewind means you did eventually do the correct amount of things and time is the only barrier, so the accomplishment is just as real - would like to see them bring up the argument that sports are now meaningless because with time travel powers, anyone could eventually make every single pass/goal/hit/etc.

if only i, personally, had rewind. i could eventually perfectly navigate all of human experience and know everything and have done everything - might as well say i do and have
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Steamflogger Boss

Always nice to see a waiter/waitress who has fucked up your order 3/3 times still employed. Thankfully I got a different person this time and as every other time I got someone else, flawless service. Just baffling really.
kitten wrote:
2. this is maybe more important. the replies. oh my god, the replies. well over a thousand of them and climbing and the absolute vast majority are just "ok boomer" (he is not a boomer and i'm getting tired of this phrase - kids even direct it at millenials) or talking about how he's gatekeeping, how he's telling people how to play, how he's "entitled" (???????) for thinking you need to beat a game to say you beat a game (what). just drives me fucking bonkers.

people argue that rewind means you did eventually do the correct amount of things and time is the only barrier, so the accomplishment is just as real - would like to see them bring up the argument that sports are now meaningless because with time travel powers, anyone could eventually make every single pass/goal/hit/etc.

if only i, personally, had rewind. i could eventually perfectly navigate all of human experience and know everything and have done everything - might as well say i do and have
Ok, boomer.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Ok, boomer.
<:[[[
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
ryu

Post by ryu »

I don't really care enough to analyze that segment in the detail you described, but feel that the audio in the video feels off sync from the very beginning.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

kitten wrote:2. this is maybe more important. the replies. oh my god, the replies. well over a thousand of them and climbing and the absolute vast majority are just "ok boomer" (he is not a boomer and i'm getting tired of this phrase - kids even direct it at millenials) or talking about how he's gatekeeping, how he's telling people how to play, how he's "entitled" (???????) for thinking you need to beat a game to say you beat a game (what). just drives me fucking bonkers.

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped looking at anything related to gaming on YouTube and Twitter unless it's from emudevs. There are just too many stupid kids stinking up the joint.

The SHMUPs farm might have its fair share of nutcases, but at least everyone here is over 18.

The more I hear about Mike Matei the more he basically seems like a failure at life. I hope he finds something better to do than trolling little kids soon.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Didn't Mike Matei go totally off the rails recently?
Unfortunately i only have a hearsay comment to go on atm.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Always nice to see a waiter/waitress who has fucked up your order 3/3 times still employed. Thankfully I got a different person this time and as every other time I got someone else, flawless service. Just baffling really.
Yeah normally i try to go as easy as possible on serving staff. Fuck that job. I've done it, and been fired myself after two days because i was shite :lol:

There was one time recently though that I ordered some brunch thing, a variant on eggs benedict I think, with bacon. part of the bacon was hanging so far off the tiny plate that I noticed it DRAG ALONG THE TABLE when the waitress put it down. :shock:

.. I was in company though so i tried to ignore it, figuring the table is pretty clean. But the stone cold bacon had me complaining, I also pointed out how far it was sticking out at this point. It came back to me very quickly with the offending overhang having been cut off, the rest of it barely warmed up, if at all.
:|
I just wolfed the trash down and got outta there as I had things to see people to do.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

I'm pretty relaxed about it myself. Even when those things happened I never made a scene, I was also polite to them about it. Normally I tip very well too but not when I get the wrong food.
Steamflogger Boss

The Mike Matei thing came up on another forum and things got hog wild.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Unpopular opinions about popular games don't always go over well, but this seems the best thread for it. Feel free to disregard this if you don't care about less-than-positive opinions about Undertale:
Spoiler
Undertale is a mediocre single character RPG with limited replayability featuring an outright bad plot filled with fairly bland, forgettable characters who appear and disappear almost as quickly as they're introduced. Whether you find it charming or not, it's impossible to deny the deeply unsatisfying "true" ending that feels like a complete waste of time as a result of its mishandling of a key character (the most important one in the entire game as it turns out). It's a cheap, meme-filled pretender to the throne, a poor imitation of great series that truly combined strange, comedic humour with dark, serious themes into one.

The game itself is largely known for combining a shmup with an RPG. Or rather, a dodge 'em up. Aside from one boss, or a few specific enemies where you can collect things during the dodging phase, you have limited interactivity in battles. You either pick from dialogue, or you select the fight command, which you're taught later on makes you a horrible monster and a literal murder for choosing it to defend yourself rather than using talking or fleeing from things. Learning you can talk through battles is basically the central gimmick to getting the game's good ending. Once you start doing that, your offensive equipment becomes mostly unimportant, and the only other thing you can do in combat is use items, which largely just amount to healing items.

The dodging is amusing, but it's nothing particularly challenging aside from one or two specific battles. The most fun, dynamic one requires a horrible slog of grinding to get the game's bad ending, where you're rewarded with a truly interesting combat by being told you're a horrific monster and having your save file permanently tainted. Replayability is limited, and you always follow the exact same path through the game, with small dialogue differences essentially coming down to who you killed or didn't kill, or meta-humour based on what you did when you save and reload the game, as the game can "see" what you did when you try one thing, then reload to try another, and will call you out on it.

There's a very black and white sense of morality in your choices - the best ending involves never touching the Fight command and completing all sidequests. Major characters you meet do not travel with you aside from being able to call them on a cell phone or go back and do various events with them. It's hard to develop a true connection to these characters when the game makes them almost disappear from your linear trek until you decide to backtrack, but if you're going for the good ending you'll get to go on dates in junkyards with cringey anime-quoting dinosaurs.

The strongest character is actually the genuinely scary antagonist of the game and yet though the good ending of the game insists to the player that everyone can be saved, and all problems can be dealt with by simply talking it through, the true ending of the game involves an impossible to lose fight against a character who ends up being the most important in the entire plot, and then gets absolutely zero acknowledgement from anyone, not even their own parents. The horrible fusion creatures the result of experimentation gone wrong get more closure than this character does, and it's incredibly insulting for the most important character in the entire plot to appear, and then disappear unceremoniously, without getting even acknowledged to exist by their friends and family (who don't even realize this character is alive). And after going through the painstaking trouble to introduce this character, and lead the player down a road of teaching that everyone can be saved and deserves a chance to be saved, the game promptly derails that and doesn't even give you the option of trying to save them, let alone telling their parents "oh hey, your kid's alive, maybe we should try and do something".

It's possibly the worst ending and worst character development in a popular RPG I've seen in a long, long while. The true ending is a dumpster fire that leaves a sensible player screaming at the game to show some kind of acknowledgement or development at this crucial stage of the game, and yet no, you don't get that. All you can do is watch the credits. Why anyone would invest themselves in a plot that doesn't respect its most important characters is beyond me. The music in Undertale is very good, but I find it hard to want to listen to knowing the game it's tied to is not something I'd want to touch again.

Now contrast this to two other major series that are thematically similar, and follow similar pacing in terms of being works that have strange, unusual comedy mixed with serious, darker themes: Mother 3 and Adventure Time.

Mother is a series that is essentially the progenitor of Undertale (Toby Fox is also known for an Earthbound hack he made). Mother 3 firmly establishes itself as a weird, unusual game, but one that tackles serious themes of loss and death, and learning to grow up and overcome that. It doesn't make any promises about saving people. From the standpoint of the main character, Lucas, your mother is dead, your brother is missing, and you're struggling to save what's left of your strange, beautiful world. The ending is not one that establishes happiness and joy for all but yanks it out of reach for one person for purely arbitrary reasons, such as in Undertale's developer neglect of the true final boss character. People die, the story concludes in a tragic, believable way, and the ambiguity that remains in the ending fits firmly in with the rest of the game. The player hasn't been given a bait-and-switch at the end.

Adventure Time also often combined weird, irreverent humour with serious themes and character development over the course of the series. It concludes its series by tying up loose ends, and though not everyone gets a perfect ending, they do receive a satisfying one, with the suggestion of new adventures for generations to come. The series ending doesn't conclude with the sudden hope that everything will turn out magically wonderful for everyone, and Adventure Time does not slap its viewers in the face the way Undertale does in introducing a hugely important character at the very end of the game only to be yanked away into thin air without being acknowledged by other major characters who would likely be desperate to interact with them. The series respects its characters enough to come to a conclusion where major plot threads are resolved, and we see things wrap up in a way that is consistent with what viewers have come to expect from the show.

Undertale can't be bothered to give one's parents closure or even the chance to save the life of a child. It's depressingly pathetic that a game whose true ending builds up the player to believe in trying to save everyone denies the player even the chance of saving the one person in the game who we learn needs saving most of all, the most tragic character of all. And since Undertale's overarching plot pretty much revolves around this character (as you discover in the true ending), the fact that the true ending botches this final character development so badly and leaves it unfulfilled basically sours the entire game once you see it. You're encouraged to get the true ending, the one with the most character interaction over the course of the game, but once you obtain it the ending is handled so badly you're left with an awful sense of "What was the point?" after it ends.

Undertale just isn't that good of a game and it annoys the heck outta me to see people treat it as though it's the most brilliant RPG ever made.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Bowling balls.

Right weight, holes too small.
Too heavy, holes just right.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Stacking ammo/medkits in Doom. If you do this you fail at mapping. I prefer to be sure that I'll pick up one thing when I walk over what's visibly one thing.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Bowling balls.

Have you ever picked up a chick from behind like you would a bowling ball???
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:The Mike Matei thing came up on another forum and things got hog wild.
do tell
Image | Image
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

FinalBaton wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Bowling balls.

Have you ever picked up a chick from behind like you would a bowling ball???
Nope.

I'd like to do this though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF6_FsOPO6c
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.