Looking for examples of how people here tate their hdtvs.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wittischism

Looking for examples of how people here tate their hdtvs.

Post by Wittischism »

This is something I obviously would like to have a quality solution for, but don’t know what the best way is to go about it.

Looking for either a tv stand that can rotate or a stable way to set and lean the tv against something with supports and such.

Any info to what brand of tv and stand you use, furniture of what it sits on and is supported by or actual pics would most welcome.

Apologies if there is another topic on this. I searched a while and could not find one

Thanks.
Austin

Re: Looking for examples of how people here tate their hdtvs

Post by Austin »

What sort of support or rig you need is going to depend on the kind of TV.

For CRTs I have mainly rotated a 25" Sony Trinitron (flat screen, one of the boxier ones, early 2002). It supports itself and doesn't need to be pushed up to a wall or anything. Like any other set, it just needs a table or stand strong enough to hold its weight, which isn't a lot (maybe 80 pounds tops for this model? Probably less).

I also have a 23" Trinitron. It's like the one above but came out later that year and they redesigned the the shell. It's much more rounded on the back and probably wouldn't hold itself upright, at least not at a particularly good angle. I still haven't tried to TATE it because of that, I'd probably have to shove it against a wall or something.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Eh, I think that if you have one of those monster 50" HDTV your only option is a custom wall-mount bracket with locks which can be disengaged to rotate the screen. Good luck finding something like that though, maybe if you dig through presentation monitors accessories you might find something akin to this.

Also, this looks like one of those things someone might put on kickstarter. It isn't conceptually impossible, actually quite easy, just need a very robust and reliable design.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I apparently didn't read the title well enough. For a HDTV, yes, you need a mountable stand that can rotate. They aren't cheap though: https://www.wallmountworld.com/Rotating ... rotate.htm. This video talks all about it and shows it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgJm2BKsnyc

This doesn't really help with big HDTVs, but if you want to use a PC monitor (up to 27") then I use one of these. Simply mount it to the back of a desk: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IW ... UTF8&psc=1
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

This was $73 last year when I bought it, hopefully you can find it for around that still (looks like eBay has it for $75). It has a 49" TCL 5-Series on it right now which weighs 26 pounds. The stand is rated for 55 pounds. It doesn't have a stop for the TATE/Portrait position so you have to eyeball how level it is but doesn't bother me much at all. Had to tighten the allen key for tension after 6 months but haven't touched it since (it determines how easy it is to rotate and angle it).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1

You can briefly see it here at 2:50

https://youtu.be/Z787SbwgHz0?t=169
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I have a rotatable TV wall mount, and it does the job pretty great :) They can be hard to find but I got mine realy cheap, like 30$ :)

ImageImage
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

For monitors desktop stands w/ rotation go up to 32"

For TVs I've seen stands similar to desktop's up to 42"

And mobile stands (carts, trolleys) up to 70"

Maybe it is possible to adapt a 360° rotule to the 42" at least, IIRC someone had a 'tate tv cart' here, a long time ago though.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Mine is up to 48" and 25kg. I have it for like a year or so, and I'm realy happy with it. You can obtain them quite easily here in Europe. You can buy them in like every major electronics store, and they are all over at local auction sites.

This is the one that I've got:

https://uk.hama.com/00118053/hama-fullm ... %20bracket
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I have a rotating wall mount that will rotate CCW up to 90 degrees. I got mine a few years ago when you couldn't really find them at all, and paid a pretty penny for it. This is the one I got https://www.wallmountworld.com/Rotating ... rotate.htm and will take up to a 60 inch set, I have a 55 inch on it.

It works great and I've had no issues with it. Only possible issue is if you have a game that only rotates clockwise then this won't help.

I've seen some people talk about this one on Amazon, but I've never used it personally and it is much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074FHH4NK/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

LOL, you guys have some fancy set-ups! I just have some blue tack on the bottom of the TV, and it sits on a coffee table against the wall. :)
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Namingway_PL wrote:I have a rotatable TV wall mount, and it does the job pretty great :) They can be hard to find but I got mine realy cheap, like 30$ :)

ImageImage
What is the white stand the PVM is on?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I've made it myself to raise the monitor a bit ;) Image
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

donluca wrote:Eh, I think that if you have one of those monster 50" HDTV your only option is a custom wall-mount bracket with locks which can be disengaged to rotate the screen. Good luck finding something like that though, maybe if you dig through presentation monitors accessories you might find something akin to this.
Thought I would post again since I've literally spent about 4 full nights (like 12 hours, no joke) searching out another TATE stand – and I found there's actually many, many different mounts which do this. The problem is that a few rare (and super expensive, like $350-400 I think) actually lock in the TATE position. Mine I currently use doesn't lock in either position but it's robust enough to stay in place with my 49" TCL - just have to eyeball it to make sure it's roughly level which is easy enough and quick. You also have to watch out for ones which say the TV can be mounted in horizontal/landscape OR portrait position, because that commonly means that it can be, but that you can't rotate it at will without taking the TV off and re-bolting stuff and such.

I even found one which will fit a 65 pound 42" Plasma (852x480p) which has the added difficulty of A.) being like three times as heavy as a comparable modern LCD/LED flatscreen, and B.) needing a crazy large 660 x 320mm VESA (equivalent) mounting hole pattern (the majority max out at 400x400). Actually have one being delivered today I'm going to test out for some plasma TATE'd goodness (which is going to look otherworldly with 480p cave shmups on Xbox 360 ;) It was $158 shipped and I'm crossing my fingers it works (as I'm going to have to put a bunch of lag bolts into the wall just to test it out...).
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I bought a vesa 400 wall mount for rotating my SD plasma which doesn’t have standard mounting holes. I made an adaptor with some aluminum flat bar. Cost about £70 all in. As it was going on to a plasterboard wall I fitted some extra wooden batons behind it to fix the wall mount to. Need to see if I have a picture somewhere.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I don't have a picture of my setup atm but I use this
https://tinyurl.com/s2w4sm2
It works well and is pretty damn heavy. It's a slight pain in the ass to switch back to a yoko orientation so you won't switching back and forth between shooters and fighting games without loosening and re-tightening an allen nut
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

scrilla4rella wrote:I don't have a picture of my setup atm but I use this
https://tinyurl.com/s2w4sm2
It works well and is pretty damn heavy. It's a slight pain in the ass to switch back to a yoko orientation so you won't switching back and forth between shooters and fighting games without loosening and re-tightening an allen nut

Ooooo that is just the type of thing i was looking for, something freestanding and heavy enough to not be mounted. I would be getting it specifically to keep vertical, so having to switch it isn’t a concern. It really is a good price, too. Thanks for posting that.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

nice. glad to be of service.

It was tricky to find at first as there's a bazillion different tv stand/mount options. The trick was to search for 'freestanding' as I wasn't interested in the ones that attache to a desk. I'll try to snap some pictures when I get the chance.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

scrilla4rella wrote:nice. glad to be of service.

It was tricky to find at first as there's a bazillion different tv stand/mount options. The trick was to search for 'freestanding' as I wasn't interested in the ones that attache to a desk. I'll try to snap some pictures when I get the chance.
Exactly. Looking forward to seeing your setup. What monitor brand and size do you use with it? I technically need to get one, the first step was to find the right stand heh. They don’t seem too expensive, so I am hoping to not have to wait until next black Friday to get a good deal on one. Don’t need something 4k or anything, hdmi is enough for my needs, really.

Some of the reviews say that it is not stable. I am guessing you haven’t had a problem since you recommended it here. Obviously not going to adjust it once it is set up, either.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Samsung just announced their 43" LCD "Sero" with MOTORIZED ROTATION for US release later this year.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

A cheap DIY solution would be using something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... UTF8&psc=1
If they end up being long enough. Cheap. If not you can probably make wooden extensions easily. Only downside is that it may not be super stable (Like most modern TV stands) and that you have to disassemble it each time if you want to rotate it back. Or maybe install it and leave the default TV feet still on so then you can just pick the TV up and rotate it physically and you'll just have feet sticking out of the side on one end all the time.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

It took me awhile. Sorry for the crap pictures but hopefully you can get some idea on of how it is in back. It feels super sturdy. As I said before, my only complaint is that it takes some time to change from a hori to tate config
ShootTheCore

Post by ShootTheCore »

I bought my rotating mount from Wall Mount World. It wasn’t cheap, but it works great with my 65” OLED.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5uh88tdfqxva ... M.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzokstx6vguye ... M.jpg?dl=0
man9child

Post by man9child »

Namingway_PL wrote:I've made it myself to raise the monitor a bit ;) Image

What type of monitor is this?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's a JVC DT series monitor, probably a 17" one.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Yes, it is a JVC DT-V1710CG, 17" aperture grill multiformat CRT monitor ;)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Any advice on cable management for anyone who has a setup like this? I'm looking at getting a tate-able wall mount, but not sure how to keep cables from being a huge mess.