Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Fudoh »

Over here the BT receiver was delivered last week (through Amazon).
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Fudoh wrote:Over here the BT receiver was delivered last week (through Amazon).
@retro-bit Why is it available only in the UK? No US stores have it and Amazon UK won’t ship it here
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

mario64 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Over here the BT receiver was delivered last week (through Amazon).
@retro-bit Why is it available only in the UK? No US stores have it and Amazon UK won’t ship it here
The receivers arrived this week and are currently being distributed to our retailers. They will show up on online listings soon if they aren't already up for pre-order.

To explain why Europe has been receiving this earlier lately, it takes additional time to ship to Europe from our factories. Because of the holidays, we forecast for "worst-case scenarios" which means we set up dates for Europe ahead of what North America would receive it by. Once we have confirmed listings and stock with our partners in NA, we will post about that on our social media as well as our website.
gct

Post by gct »

I just received the Bluetooth Saturn controller (bought the wrong one - meant to get the 2.4GHz one, but I'll keep this anyway).

I know it's a totally different company's product, but has anyone been able to pair this thing with 8bitdo's retro receiver - the red brick one? I haven't been able to get this paired.

Otherwise I'll be eagerly awaiting stock on the BT receiver, and probably will pick up a 2.4GHz version too.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

I finally opened up my 2.4 GHz Genesis controllers today.

I love the blue color and the buttons and build quality feel fantastic, but I have one major issue that is a showstopper for me.

When connecting the receivers to my Model 3 Genesis (triple bypass modded), it causes an audible high-pitched hum to come from my speakers. Apparently there is interference being caused by the receivers. By comparison, my Krikzz Joyzz controllers/receivers do not have the same problem.

Has anyone else had that problem? I doubt there is anything I can do to resolve it, but I'll hold for a few days before I submit my return back to Amazon.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Interesting. I believe there was an interference issue with the early 8bitdo m30 receivers as well?

Maybe with the commonality, it's just as simple as both mfgs skimping on shielding. I certainly hope there's an easy fix for you and others.
coregamertreff

Post by coregamertreff »

I have an other interesting fact to share today.

The RetroBits Saturn Bluetooth Controller works with the newly released red Brook Switch - PS4 Wireless Converter flawlessly.
That means that you can use this awesome controller wirelessly on the PS4 as well if you have this converter.

Now I can use a real Saturn Controller wirelessly on Switch and PS4 - super awesome!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Sargon wrote:When connecting the receivers to my Model 3 Genesis (triple bypass modded), it causes an audible high-pitched hum to come from my speakers. Apparently there is interference being caused by the receivers. By comparison, my Krikzz Joyzz controllers/receivers do not have the same problem.

Has anyone else had that problem? I doubt there is anything I can do to resolve it, but I'll hold for a few days before I submit my return back to Amazon.
That's really weird. On all our Genesis 3 units, we didn't experience audio issues but I went ahead and let our team know, just in case.
coregamertreff wrote:The RetroBits Saturn Bluetooth Controller works with the newly released red Brook Switch - PS4 Wireless Converter flawlessly.
That means that you can use this awesome controller wirelessly on the PS4 as well if you have this converter.

Now I can use a real Saturn Controller wirelessly on Switch and PS4 - super awesome!
Nice. Yes, we gave Brook a bunch of our controllers for them to work on developing updates to all their receivers. Not surprised to see that!
port24

Post by port24 »

Beware of the 2.4ghz Saturn controllers. I tested two and both had sticky C buttons...very easy to reproduce. I also tested two of the 2.4ghz genesis controllers and encountered major occasional lag with one of them. Not sure why...
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

port24 wrote:Beware of the 2.4ghz Saturn controllers. I tested two and both had sticky C buttons...very easy to reproduce. I also tested two of the 2.4ghz genesis controllers and encountered major occasional lag with one of them. Not sure why...
Heya, please send us an e-mail with your C button issue and we will send you replacements. Additionally, we have firmware we are developing that should improve latency on both Genesis/MD and Saturn.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Thank you for working hard to improve latency--and not posting empty platitudes about "human reaction time" or lecturing us about how "it doesn't matter". :)

I appreciate the hard work and the focus on gamers.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thank you for the hard work. I found out that the C button does stick on mine when I press it in the upper top part of it.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

@Retro-bit - excuse me if this question has been asked... is there a way to have the Genesis USB controller always first boot as an X input controller (instead of switch) when you first plug in the controller and have the “hold up and start” for Dpad. Is there a software that we can use to reprogram that? I would like x input and dpad as standard on my controller for my use case if possible.. thanks
The Future Is Now
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Still no word on USB polling rates?

If they're not eager to answer this, I can only assume that it's 125Hz.
Emerl

Post by Emerl »

I see there's a Model 2 of the Saturn USB controller, but no Model 2 for the Saturn-connector version. Did the Saturn-connector version never have the same issue as the USB one, or has it just not been corrected in those?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yeah both of my 2.4ghz Saturn controllers also has a sticky C-button issue. Should I email retro-bit directly, or Castlemania games, whom I bought it from?
Tobbis

Post by Tobbis »

So I would love a wireless 2.4ghz Saturn controller but the available color schemes are a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to over pay for this but I just need to know if its possible, if I buy a bluetooth and a 2.4ghz controller can I swap the shells? Looking at the Amazon pictures they look very similar.

TLDR: Can I swap a black bluetooth controller shell onto either of the colored 2.4ghz controllers?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Safe bet is no as it has been stated the BT controllers are slightly different to accommodate the added rumble motors.

You could just as easily try an OG black controller. Also a risk but maybe still cheaper than a new Bluetooth controller to sacrifice.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Again, sticky C buttons are part of Sega's design. The originals stick.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

No... they do not.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Einzelherz wrote:Again, sticky C buttons are part of Sega's design. The originals stick.
Sorry. No. This is absolutely false.

On 3 of my original Saturn model 2 controllers, (2 black and one Victor grey unit) all of them do not have a sticky issue. My only model 1 and 3D controllers also don’t stick.

On both of my Retro-bit controller’s, if you press the C-button closer to the top of the button, it’ll stick 100% of the time. The button remains pressed, and the only way I can get it to depress is by pulling it up with 2 fingers. This makes the C-button practically unusable.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

And even if original buttons stuck.. that's certainly not something you want to copy in a reissue.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Strider77 wrote:No... they do not.
I've got 10 of them and yes, some do.

It's what can happen when you have an oversquare piston/cylinder design.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Hey, happy holidays everyone! Apologies for the small gap in silence. Now then...
orange808 wrote:Thank you for working hard to improve latency--and not posting empty platitudes about "human reaction time" or lecturing us about how "it doesn't matter". :)

I appreciate the hard work and the focus on gamers.
We appreciate the patience and feedback! There are limits to what we can and can't do but we do want to make the experience as enjoyable as it can be. :) Due to the vast differences in people's set ups, there are countless things that can affect latency. In a stable and controlled environment, we were able to tighten up the latency via firmware onto the receivers. We have our test team giving us feedback as we speak and we want to make sure the process from installation to gameplay is fluid for the common gamer. Our aim is to have it posted within the next week or so.

BrianC wrote:Thank you for the hard work. I found out that the C button does stick on mine when I press it in the upper top part of it.
Terribly sorry to hear that. Please let us know via info@retro-bit.com and we can get that replaced for you if you wish.

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:@Retro-bit - excuse me if this question has been asked... is there a way to have the Genesis USB controller always first boot as an X input controller (instead of switch) when you first plug in the controller and have the “hold up and start” for Dpad. Is there a software that we can use to reprogram that? I would like x input and dpad as standard on my controller for my use case if possible.. thanks
Unfortunately, there is not. The controller doesn't retain the macro settings once it has been powered down with the console or disconnected.

SamIAm wrote:Still no word on USB polling rates?

If they're not eager to answer this, I can only assume that it's 125Hz.
You are correct. They are the standard controller polling rate of 125 Hz. Modifying the polling rate would require a different type of firmware.

Emerl wrote:I see there's a Model 2 of the Saturn USB controller, but no Model 2 for the Saturn-connector version. Did the Saturn-connector version never have the same issue as the USB one, or has it just not been corrected in those?
If you see an online listing for our USB controllers with the Model 2 tag, it just means we added Switch compatibility and it uses a different PCB. This is strictly for USB Mega Drive/Genesis and USB Saturn controllers.

opt2not wrote:Yeah both of my 2.4ghz Saturn controllers also has a sticky C-button issue. Should I email retro-bit directly, or Castlemania games, whom I bought it from?
Castlemania goes to us for those replacements so it is quicker if you e-mail us at info@retro-bit.com.

Tobbis wrote:So I would love a wireless 2.4ghz Saturn controller but the available color schemes are a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to over pay for this but I just need to know if its possible, if I buy a bluetooth and a 2.4ghz controller can I swap the shells? Looking at the Amazon pictures they look very similar.

TLDR: Can I swap a black bluetooth controller shell onto either of the colored 2.4ghz controllers?
We are sorry your color choice isn't available yet. We are in the process of adding another option for 2.4 GHz Saturn and hopefully that deal of yours won't be broken. :P
The shells are different between 2.4 GHz wireless and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth controllers house rumble motors and the multi-LEDs for player # that the 2.4 GHz controller does not, so the shells are not 1-to-1 between them.

bigbadboaz wrote:Safe bet is no as it has been stated the BT controllers are slightly different to accommodate the added rumble motors.

You could just as easily try an OG black controller. Also a risk but maybe still cheaper than a new Bluetooth controller to sacrifice.
Nope, the original controllers are too slim as the 2.4 GHz controllers have the battery on the back and the LED on the front. You can't house the 2.4 GHz internals into a normal wired controller without a lot of modifications.

Einzelherz wrote:
Strider77 wrote:No... they do not.

Everyone's collection is different! Most SEGA controllers have over 20+ years of use or non-use on top of the wear and tear of the internals. We are currently replacing any out in the wild as customers let us know they are affected. We are working with Castlemania and Amazon closely to cover any reports they receive as well.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Retro-Bit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:I've been having odd issues with one of the wired controllers I bought back in August, the A button and Start button seem to both randomly get detected on their own, more and more frequently. I opened it up and tried to hurriedly clean it at a game night with friends just by trying to blow any dust or residue out, but I have yet to open it up again and clean up with the 91% Isopropyl I have at home. A tad odd, though, the thing certainly isn't dirty at all!
Hmm, that's really weird. If you let our support team know, they may troubleshoot or replace it. Email them at info@retro-bit.com.
PaTaito wrote:I've tried scowling theinternet for a way to reset the receiver somehow but have foiund nothing so i could do with some assisstance from the resident retrobit poster if possible.
I believe you're already in contact with our support team. But for everyone else, the Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn 2.4 GHz wireless receivers will not light up while in "update mode." They will remain that way until you install the latest firmware. Once you safely disconnect, it will go back to normal. Please make sure you read the instructions included in the download. :)
Heyo, I sent the support team an email a few days ago, no response yet. Does it usually take a few days? Also, do you know by any chance if the limited edition pink controllers are shipping soon? I scooped up two of them :D
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

kitty666cats wrote:Heyo, I sent the support team an email a few days ago, no response yet. Does it usually take a few days? Also, do you know by any chance if the limited edition pink controllers are shipping soon? I scooped up two of them :D
We should be able to respond by next week (or sooner) due to Christmas and the holidays. Give us some time! :)

The Gamepink SEGA Controllers should be shipping in early/mid January. :)
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Thanks Retro-bit, I fired you off an email as well, for 2x replacement units of the 2.4 ghz versions
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Is it possible you could just open the controller up and sand the part that sticks just enough to fix it?
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Retro-Bit wrote:You are correct. They are the standard controller polling rate of 125 Hz. Modifying the polling rate would require a different type of firmware.
Thank you for replying.

This is unfortunate news. I suspect that many people are using these controllers with emulators, and part of getting the most accurate experience possible with emulators is configuring your system to minimize input/output lag. Even with other measures in place on the input side, a controller polling rate of 125Hz fattens the maximum possible lag time significantly. For future revisions, I would strongly encourage Retro-Bit to add support for at least 250Hz, if not 500 or 1000Hz.

Despite being a huge fan of the Saturn controller, I'm afraid that for now, this factor alone will make me look for a different product.

Good luck to you guys.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

https://tenor.com/t8OG.gif
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?