OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by bobrocks95 »

Can you only import OSSC profiles from the online tool one at a time?
A json file with a single profile will be imported to the currently selected profile.
Or does that line just mean that if your json file only had one profile in it, it would just go to that one profile?

EDIT: im dumb
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

FBX wrote:Aspect correction is a hotbed topic. Some worry about it, some don't care. Some even think square pixels look more correct on certain games like Super Mario World for example. However, one cool new feature of the OSSC as far as 384x240 goes is Marqs now has it scale vertically in 4x when you use line4x, but scales the horizontal samples at 3x. This ends up looking much better than 4x4 square pixels due to how wide 384x240 is.
When I found optim mode I was excited because I love the ultra-sharp look but then I realized it was distorting the aspect ratio. If I understand correctly, the aspect ratio of all games are at least somewhat distorted in optim mode. Do I have that right?
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

Konsolkongen wrote:Setting lipsync to auto and 0ms works on my A2080 on all sources regardless if they are connected through HDMI directly or ARC from the TV.
Just picked up the A2080 myself. That thing is a BEAST in terms of weight compared to my old unit. Haha. Now that I have that purchased, I need to build a new shelving unit to support the weight of it. :)
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Does the new OSD video overlay also show the current signal information?

The videos I've seen show people navigating the OSD menu but I haven't seen the actual signal (resolution/frequency) display on the OSD overlay.

Also, has there any discussion about adding OSD (menu) control via serial or other means? Even if I could inject IR codes directly into the OSSC via serial/whatever it would be more reliably than sticking an IR dongle on the OSSC IR receiver.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

sofakng wrote:Does the new OSD video overlay also show the current signal information?

The videos I've seen show people navigating the OSD menu but I haven't seen the actual signal (resolution/frequency) display on the OSD overlay.
It displays whatever is on the LCD, so it'll show the current signal info when the LCD shows it. In some peoples' cases, the OSD probably disappears before their HDMI chain can recover from the mode change blackout.
sofakng wrote:Also, has there any discussion about adding OSD (menu) control via serial or other means? Even if I could inject IR codes directly into the OSSC via serial/whatever it would be more reliably than sticking an IR dongle on the OSSC IR receiver.
I requested serial control about a year and a half ago, but I'm not aware of any work that might have been done towards it.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

nmalinoski wrote:It displays whatever is on the LCD, so it'll show the current signal info when the LCD shows it. In some peoples' cases, the OSD probably disappears before their HDMI chain can recover from the mode change blackout.
OK - That is what I thought might happen. Can you press a button on the remote control to re-display the status information?
nmalinoski wrote:I requested serial control about a year and a half ago, but I'm not aware of any work that might have been done towards it.
I've seen that thread and I also commented on it. I also saw a response from marqs:
It’d be easy to map current user I/O functionality to UART, i.e. treating a received char as remote control key and printing out same data that is output on character display. I’m not sure how useful that’d be, though. A more fancy interface supporting direct access to settings and status would require more logic which would consume some of the remaining little memory.
It sounds like FPGA resources are almost exhausted, but even if a limited interface as he describes (treating chars as remote control keys) would be useful. Hopefully he will consider this kind of functionality?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

How consistent/tested are the settings on JunkerHQ's optimal timings page? Experimenting with PS1 512x240 games (used Wipeout 3 and Spyro 1 as my games to text) and they both give me an optimal H. Samplerate of 686.25. The 683 value on the wiki is not just wrong, it's *obviously* wrong. I get two (possibly 3?) massive bands of blur on screen, with the possible third just off screen. Really had me going for a while since I couldn't find anyone else who was having a similar experience, but this is the sharpest I could get it. Don't have a test pattern to check, unfortunately.

Could anyone test and see? Are these games not actually 512x240 maybe? Or is the old reading from a dated firmware, perhaps? Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

686.25:
Spoiler
683.00:
Spoiler
awe444

Post by awe444 »

NormalFish wrote:Could anyone test and see? Are these games not actually 512x240 maybe? Or is the old reading from a dated firmware, perhaps?
I was the one who posted the 683 value on the wiki page a while ago, along with a few of the other PS1 modes. The theoretical optimal value is 682.5 (see below) but at the time the OSSC didn’t support fractional sample rates, so it was a round approximation that I visually confirmed as “close enough” on some dither patterns. Since fractional sample rates are now a thing, the value should be updated. Spyro was indeed one of the games I tested, along with Crash Bandicoot and a few others.

The theoretical value of 682.5 comes from:

- Pixel clock rate in this mode is (945/88) MHz according to https://pineight.com/mw/index.php?title=Dot_clock_rates
- 263 lines per frame (as reported by the OSSC)
- Assumes line rate is NTSC-standard (4500000/286) Hz. If true, then the frame rate is (4500000/286)/263 = 59.82610545 Hz, which is consistent with the OSSC’s reported frame rate to within reported digits

Given the above numbers, sample rate is:

(10^6 * 945/88) / (4500000/286) = 1365/2 = 682.5

@NormalFish are you by any chance testing with a PS2? I ask because the PS2’s 512x480i sample rate is 686.4, which should be the same sample rate as PS2’s 512x240p (though I’ve not tested), which is coincidentally close to your reported best value
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

awe444 wrote:
NormalFish wrote:Could anyone test and see? Are these games not actually 512x240 maybe? Or is the old reading from a dated firmware, perhaps?
I was the one who posted the 683 value on the wiki page a while ago, along with a few of the other PS1 modes. The theoretical optimal value is 682.5 (see below) but at the time the OSSC didn’t support fractional sample rates, so it was a round approximation that I visually confirmed as “close enough” on some dither patterns. Since fractional sample rates are now a thing, the value should be updated. Spyro was indeed one of the games I tested, along with Crash Bandicoot and a few others.

The theoretical value of 682.5 comes from:

- Pixel clock rate in this mode is (945/88) MHz according to https://pineight.com/mw/index.php?title=Dot_clock_rates
- 263 lines per frame (as reported by the OSSC)
- Assumes line rate is NTSC-standard (4500000/286) Hz. If true, then the frame rate is (4500000/286)/263 = 59.82610545 Hz, which is consistent with the OSSC’s reported frame rate to within reported digits

Given the above numbers, sample rate is:

(10^6 * 945/88) / (4500000/286) = 1365/2 = 682.5

@NormalFish are you by any chance testing with a PS2? I ask because the PS2’s 512x480i sample rate is 686.4, which should be the same sample rate as PS2’s 512x240p (though I’ve not tested), which is coincidentally close to your reported best value
Yes, I used 683.00 since that's what the wiki stated, but I'd also tried 682.5 and it was just as bad. I don't doubt that your math is right, though.

I am using a PS2. I did notice that my result was much closer to the expected result for 512x480i on a PS2, but wasn't entirely sure why this might be the case, and 686.4 doesn't look any different from 686.25 - 686.75 (though this may have to do with how the setting is applied by the OSSC?). I also had a different result from the wiki for 320x240p PS1 games via my PS2, so maybe this is the common factor.

Edit: Yeah, in fact the 320x240 value is half the standard horizontal value of 858 for 480p at 429. Gotta be a PS2 vs PS1 difference, unless someone else can test on a ps1.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Can I export my saved OSSC Profiles ? Or how can I keep them for the next firmware update?
Kez

Post by Kez »

You can create profile on this website: http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/

The site is able to generate a file that you can put on an SD card and import profiles to the OSSC.

FBX made a video with more info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48FOtofdyxE

As for your existing profiles, they cannot be manually exported. You will need to manually replicate them on the site.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

NormalFish wrote:Yes, I used 683.00 since that's what the wiki stated
I just now updated the wiki page numbers— apologies for the staleness there!
NormalFish wrote:but I'd also tried 682.5 and it was just as bad. I don't doubt that your math is right, though.

I am using a PS2. I did notice that my result was much closer to the expected result for 512x480i on a PS2, but wasn't entirely sure why this might be the case, and 686.4 doesn't look any different from 686.25 - 686.75 (though this may have to do with how the setting is applied by the OSSC?). I also had a different result from the wiki for 320x240p PS1 games via my PS2, so maybe this is the common factor.

Edit: Yeah, in fact the 320x240 value is half the standard horizontal value of 858 for 480p at 429. Gotta be a PS2 vs PS1 difference, unless someone else can test on a ps1.
OK, yes that makes sense that it’s a hardware difference. The 686.4 value comes from the PS2 having a pixel clock rate of (54/5) MHz = 10.8 MHz in this mode, as compared to the PS1’s 945/88 ~ 10.738636. Substitute that into the formula from earlier and you get 686.4000 as the theoretical sample rate for PS2 512x240p
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

awe444 wrote:OK, yes that makes sense that it’s a hardware difference. The 686.4 value comes from the PS2 having a pixel clock rate of (54/5) MHz = 10.8 MHz in this mode, as compared to the PS1’s 945/88 ~ 10.738636. Substitute that into the formula from earlier and you get 686.4000 as the theoretical sample rate for PS2 512x240p
Glad this makes sense, then. I was really baffled initially. I'll be slowly putting together profiles until all my PS1 games work on my PS2 with perfect scaling, so I'll be able to check the other resolutions too, probably. If folks are able to work them out mathematically, though, that'll save me some time for sure. I haven't tried any games that run in 256x240 or 384x240. Not sure how many obscure resolutions there might be.

Side note, the Optimal timings chart is going to get stupid over time if we keep it all within the one chart we have now. Might be smart to either segment the chart based on system (NES, SNES, PS1, PS2) or move over to dedicated pages. I think there are pages for every console already set up, so maybe that's the way to go.

Edit:
Here are the H. Samplerate values for the resolutions I knew I had access to:

512x240 - 686.40

384x240 - 490.00

320x240 - 429.00

256x240 - 342.50

Note that all of these values are running on a DTL-50001 PS2, and they all have some wiggle room. IME, there's about a .5 - .75 range which will give you identical results, at least on my display and capture card.
Colback

Post by Colback »

I found a little trick today to reduce the bob deinterlacing flicker on 480i sources, either via 2x or 4x.

First ! French frog here sorry, for the poor English.

I own a 4k Panasonic Oled, wich although it provide me with a great picture refuse to work with anything other then 2x mode. I bought a DVDO Edge to resolve all compatibility issues on all other modes.

Prior to my acquisition I was able to test the 2x(bob) mode on PS2 games, but never ended up liking the massive shakiness of this deinterlacing technique. Testing the 4x(bob) showed a clear improvement over the passtrough mode but was obviously still shacking. To make matters worse I’m genuinely scared of burn-in / image rentention, so I ended up using the passtrough mode pretty much all the time.

By setting the output resolution of the DVDO Edge to 1080i@60 it completely get rid of the wobbling thus preventing faster burn-in and image retention. It by no mean make the games look 480p’ish but works great for my me. I can’t test the lag of this setup but should be minimal consedering the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC and the DVDO’s game mode is on.

´
DecleKid

Post by DecleKid »

Is there a way to finesse the SCART input, either through a config file or adjustment? I just got a Kaico-derived system and it is not detecting my SCART Intellivision. According to the doc (https://intvprime-my.sharepoint.com/:b: ... Q?e=H6HrpP), it should "just work" but neither AV1 setting is detecting a signal at all.

All ideas appreciated. Thanks!
marqs

Post by marqs »

Colback wrote:By setting the output resolution of the DVDO Edge to 1080i@60 it completely get rid of the wobbling thus preventing faster burn-in and image retention. It by no mean make the games look 480p’ish but works great for my me. I can’t test the lag of this setup but should be minimal consedering the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC and the DVDO’s game mode is on.
Has somebody really experienced burn-in with OLED caused by bob deinterlacing? I think static picture is the sole concern with self-emissive displays so actually bob deinterlacing could mitigate burn-in.
DecleKid

Post by DecleKid »

Hi all. I am in the USA and obtained a French SCART Intellivision, and bought a (Kaico) OSSC unit to connect it to my HDMI USA TV. I have checked on the regular web spots, reviewed and tried things based on the Wiki at junkerhq, asked on the OSSC FB group, and now here I am. :)

I (now) think that the Intellivision SCART should be set to RGsB, but the OSSC is saying "no sync". Based on the spec sheet at https://c29d58bd.blob.core.windows.net/ ... uction.pdf, can anyone tell me what configuration I might have to do to get the OSSC to detect the Intellivision? I do not get anything other than the gray test pattern. I did update the firmware to .85.

Thanks.

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@Colback

lag on the input side of things (both OSSC and Edge) should indeed be no problem, but your TV will introduce a lot more processing delay when being fed with an interlaced signal instead of a progressive one.
SpaceFunkyDan

Post by SpaceFunkyDan »

Hi :) Ive been reading through the large thread and am thinking of getting the VX3211-mh with an OSSC and a Vesa mount.
Could anyone give me some other monitor suggestions before I pull the trigger, anything released recently that tops the VX3211-mh?

Im going to use it primarily in Tate.

Thanks kind people :)
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

marqs wrote:
Colback wrote:By setting the output resolution of the DVDO Edge to 1080i@60 it completely get rid of the wobbling thus preventing faster burn-in and image retention. It by no mean make the games look 480p’ish but works great for my me. I can’t test the lag of this setup but should be minimal consedering the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC and the DVDO’s game mode is on.
Has somebody really experienced burn-in with OLED caused by bob deinterlacing? I think static picture is the sole concern with self-emissive displays so actually bob deinterlacing could mitigate burn-in.
I'm pretty sure the answer to burn-in is "no", however many people experience image retention and panic. Then they go around freaking out, telling everyone about it, which (as happens on the internet) eventually turns into people repeating the wrong info. I get image retention all the time on my OLED regardless of bob deinterlacing or just gaming. I've also heard from trusted sources that they've seen IR on their LCD TV's too with bob deinterlacing...

...but I've never, ever seen proof of someone showing actual burn-in. Even if I game for a few hours with a life bar "stuck" to the screen, my OLED will clear the image retention within a few minutes of watching a TV show. The people who reported IR on an LCD with deinterlacing said the same thing.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to write a detailed warning post and do a video about it, but I'm pretty sure it's just misinformation: IR is not burn-in.
SpaceFunkyDan

Post by SpaceFunkyDan »

Has anyone tested the LG C9 / E9 Oled TVs with OSCC?
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

My OLED had permanent damage from image burn in. I played less than 5 minutes of a Christmas fireplace video and it killed the red LEDs. This happened before Christmas 2018. I had to get a new panel and once the initial damage occurred, the panel only became progressively worse until eventually red was gone from 3/4 of the screen. I posted pictures of it to Twitter when that occurred.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

retrorgb wrote: If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to write a detailed warning post and do a video about it, but I'm pretty sure it's just misinformation: IR is not burn-in.
You're right. Image Retention is not burn-in. Burn-in is permanent and image retention is temporary :)

Never had any issues with bob deinterlacing on my C8 either, but I tend to stay away from 480i games anyway or use my Framemeister for those. That's really the only reason I still have that in my setup :)
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

retrorgb wrote: If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to write a detailed warning post and do a video about it, but I'm pretty sure it's just misinformation: IR is not burn-in.
Burn in is what I used to see on plasma displays used for signage, back when plasma technology was new in the early 2000's. I designed the signage that was burned into large plasma panels worth many thousands of pounds each - so I'm well aware of the effect.

I can confirm the bob deinterlacing did not burn in on my LG IPS TV, but caused temporary image retention. The image retention sticks after only a few minutes of bright static elements, look pretty severe, and the effect lasts hours.
So the example is I could see all the speedo, lap time, etc after one race of Ridge Racer V in the menu screens in between races.
Yeah I did panic a bit, but the image retention did fade away completely with normal use. Not many people have reported this so I'm guessing it's particular to IPS panels, perhaps even to LG's implementation. So I use my OSSC but just enable interlace pass through and everything is fine.
Something else to note is that this TV is well abused by the kids, watching a lot of 4:3 content and leaving DVDs on pause for hours, and that's never caused a problem. So the panel itself is good for static content, but cannot tolerate the flickering effect of the bob deinterlacing.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Modern OLEDs like my C9 also have a lot of anti-burn in features. For example, by default it has a shift feature enabled that moves the entire image around very subtly. It's somewhat noticeable while using a PC with it, mainly because the bottom of the taskbar gets eaten up sometimes (making it hard to see which programs have windows open), but I've also had no retention issues even with PC use or watching GDQ for hours at a time. So I'll deal with the minor inconvenience given how well it seems to work.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

The logo dimming has helped as well for static content- if I leave a game paused for even a minute or two say to check something on my phone, even on low the logo dimming darkens the screen nicely. It's very subtle even for PC use if a window has been up for a while- you notice it brightening back up when you move something, but not when it's slowly dimming.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but my google fu is failing me here. Lots of sources on the subject, but nothing conclusive...

Is there any way to judge, ahead of time, whether a TV will support OSSC? We have two TVs at my house, and it works alright with one of them, and not at all with the other. I'm looking to replace both of them within the next year or so, and I'd really love to be able to use my OSSC with them.

Any manufacturers with a better track record than others? Display types that are more ideal? Included features that should be able to guarantee compatibility? Etc.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

LG OLEDs have worked extremely well with the OSSC at least since 2017. Of course there are no guarantees that the upcoming models will continue this trend, but I would hope so.

These are also the best TVs available for gaming. There is no comparing to the true blacks and colors on OLED. They smear less, have pretty great scaling for obscure resolutions (OSSC) and they are practically lagfree too.
geiger9

Post by geiger9 »

I posted on VGP first (https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... questions/) but I feel this question is less about how the actual device works and more about how other devices interact with it. I figure this forum is the right place. This thread is quite large so forgive me if I haven't read through all of it.

Regarding lag and the OSSC. I am going to be using original hardware (SNES, NES, MD) so no lag there. The OSSC introduces no lag regardless of the multiplier. The lag will come into effect after the display device receives the signal. The display will introduce lag either from the upscaling required or the picture processing (it's both of those things, right?)

1. Will it matter if the OSSC feeds into a monitor designed for gaming versus a TV? The three systems I listed above have odd resolutions and I'm wondering if a "gaming monitor" will have an easier time accepting the weird resolution. I'm also told that the refresh rate will cause a problem. For example, the NES runs at 60.10 whereas spec is 59.94. Again, will a monitor designed for gaming be more forgiving and accept it?

2. Has anyone hooked up an AV Famicom with Tim Worthington's RGB mod plus a YPbPr transcoder? is it affected by jitter? If I am reading his website right, it indicates it will but perhaps I'm reading that wrong.

3. Do both monitors and TVs use HDCP? My thinking was that if the OSSC feeds a signal over HDMI, the TV has one more thing to process - the content protection. If both types of displays use it, will converting HDMI to DVI fix this and then there is one less thing to process and therefore contribute to lag?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

geiger9 wrote:I posted on VGP first (https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... questions/) but I feel this question is less about how the actual device works and more about how other devices interact with it. I figure this forum is the right place. This thread is quite large so forgive me if I haven't read through all of it.

Regarding lag and the OSSC. I am going to be using original hardware (SNES, NES, MD) so no lag there. The OSSC introduces no lag regardless of the multiplier. The lag will come into effect after the display device receives the signal. The display will introduce lag either from the upscaling required or the picture processing (it's both of those things, right?)

1. Will it matter if the OSSC feeds into a monitor designed for gaming versus a TV? The three systems I listed above have odd resolutions and I'm wondering if a "gaming monitor" will have an easier time accepting the weird resolution. I'm also told that the refresh rate will cause a problem. For example, the NES runs at 60.10 whereas spec is 59.94. Again, will a monitor designed for gaming be more forgiving and accept it?

2. Has anyone hooked up an AV Famicom with Tim Worthington's RGB mod plus a YPbPr transcoder? is it affected by jitter? If I am reading his website right, it indicates it will but perhaps I'm reading that wrong.

3. Do both monitors and TVs use HDCP? My thinking was that if the OSSC feeds a signal over HDMI, the TV has one more thing to process - the content protection. If both types of displays use it, will converting HDMI to DVI fix this and then there is one less thing to process and therefore contribute to lag?
Gaming monitors typically have less input lag, but for the most part input resolution doesn't have much to do with input lag. For example, at all resolutions my LG C9 accepts, input lag is exactly the same (AFAIK). I suspect it is the same with most monitors. Whether or not it's designed for gaming is not likely to be much of an indicator of whether or not the display will accept signals from the OSSC. For that, you'll just want to look at the OSSC wiki and VGP forums for compatibility reports or buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

I haven't used that specific NES setup, but I do have a US toploader with an NESRGB. The jitter is caused by the NES itself, so it will simply be passed on to the OSSC and, most likely, through any YPbPr transcoders. If you're worried about jitter, the only option is to use the dejitter mod (which I think is included in the latest NESRGB kits). Frankly, unless you have a specific reason to not use dejitter, I'd always recommend it anyway as it makes both NES and SNES far more compatible.

Finally, I don't think HDCP contributes to any lag. It's a handshake that is done to determine whether or not any signal should be displayed. It doesn't really need to be calculated on a frame-by-frame basis, so it's not really part of the image at all.